PDA

View Full Version : Martial Feats to Battle the Supernatural

nonsi
2010-07-08, 05:42 AM
I have 4 feats I've been cooking for come time.

Regardless of WBL and buffs from companions & allies, sometimes a warrior wishes to be a bit more self reliant.

So here they are (tell me what you think):

Crom’s Hammer
You call upon the blessings of the god of war to imbue your weapon with whatever metallic property you require.
Requirements: Fighter level 6, Craft (weaponsmith) 2, Knowledge (religion) 4, Pierce Magical protection, worshiper of the god of war.
Benefits: As a move action that doesn’t provoke AoOs, you make your weapon count as either adamantine, cold iron or alchemical silver for the remainder of the encounter. You may repeat the ritual to imbue your weapon with multiple material traits.
Only masterwork metal weapons may be affected in this manner.

Dust of the Damned
You have learned an ancient battle ritual that taps into otherworldly forced and allows you to strike true against incorporeal opponents by reciting a long-forgotten war chant as you fight.
This feat was originally created in ancient times, to allow warrior heroes to do battle against Ghosts. The end result turned out to be effective against all incorporeal opponents.
Requirements: Fighter level 8, Spellcraft 4, Knowledge (religion) 5, Pierce Magical Concealment, Pierce Magical protection.
Benefits: As a full round action that provokes AoOs, you may recite the chant you have learned. For the next rounds (drop fractions), your weapon is enhanced with the Ghost Touch property.
You may call upon Dust of the Damned a number of times a day equal to your Wis-mod (min 1).

[B]Spell Deflection
You have learned to deflect direct magical attacks aimed at you
Requirements: Dex 15+, BAB +9, base Ref +3, Combat Reflexes, Mage Slayer + see below.
Benefits: You can spend an immediate action to turn any spell effect directed at you that requires an attack roll back at the caster or anyone else within the spell effect’s range, using your own attack roll. In order to deflect a spell effect, a masterwork weapon with reflective surface or a masterwork steel shield is required. Furthermore, you must have Greater Weapon focus or Improved Shield Bash, respectively.
If the attack doesn’t miss, you must first beat your attacker with your own attack roll.

Banishing strike
You pot yout heart & soul into your attacks and banish your extraplanar foes.
Requirements: Fighter level 12, Wis 15+, Cha 13+, Knowledge (religion) 5, Spellcraft 7, Dust of the Damned.
Benefits: Once per day per Wis-mod (min 1), you can make a special attack against an outsider. If the attack hits (touch attack will do), you may enhance his attack with Dismissal effect (Will save vs. DC = [10 + 1/2 AB + Wis-mod]), attempting to force the creature back to its native plane.
There is a 20% chance of sending the subject to a plane other than its own.

nonsi
2010-07-09, 07:20 PM
1 page
2 days
90 viewers
Zero opinions

Man, talk about tough audience :smallfrown:

imp_fireball
2010-07-10, 04:27 AM
Hey it took me months before my protoss d20 thread received a single post.

I think it's because there's so much on here that people only have time to pay attention to the 'big projects' being hyped.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-10, 04:46 AM
I have 4 feats I've been cooking for come time.

Regardless of WBL and buffs from companions & allies, sometimes a warrior wishes to be a bit more self reliant.

So here they are (tell me what you think):

Crom’s Hammer
You call upon the blessings of the god of war to imbue your weapon with whatever metallic property you require.
Requirements: Fighter level 6, Craft (weaponsmith) 2, Knowledge (religion) 4, Pierce Magical protection, worshiper of the god of war.
Benefits: As a move action that doesn’t provoke AoOs, you make your weapon count as either adamantine, cold iron or alchemical silver for the remainder of the encounter. You may repeat the ritual to imbue your weapon with multiple material traits.
Only masterwork metal weapons may be affected in this manner.
At earlier levels, this allows you to gain adamantine weapons. At later levels, it basically allows you to trump some DR:s. I actually think this is somewhat weak. An adamantine weapon isn't that expensive and by the time you get this, the novelty has just about worn off. I'd do something to buff it and make it lower level.

Dust of the Damned
You have learned an ancient battle ritual that taps into otherworldly forced and allows you to strike true against incorporeal opponents by reciting a long-forgotten war chant as you fight.
This feat was originally created in ancient times, to allow warrior heroes to do battle against Ghosts. The end result turned out to be effective against all incorporeal opponents.
Requirements: Fighter level 8, Spellcraft 4, Knowledge (religion) 5, Pierce Magical Concealment, Pierce Magical protection.
Benefits: As a full round action that provokes AoOs, you may recite the chant you have learned. For the next rounds (drop fractions), your weapon is enhanced with the Ghost Touch property.
You may call upon Dust of the Damned a number of times a day equal to your Wis-mod (min 1).
Weak, weak, weak. This is very situational, and has the same problems as the Crom's Hammer feat. The full round action that provokes AOO:s is just not funny, and it doesn't last long enough. In addition, the wis mod is way too steep a limit. Again, boost, make lower level, and make it maybe... 1/encounter?

Spell Deflection
You have learned to deflect direct magical attacks aimed at you
Requirements: Dex 15+, BAB +9, base Ref +3, Combat Reflexes, Mage Slayer + see below.
Benefits: You can spend an immediate action to turn any spell effect directed at you that requires an attack roll back at the caster or anyone else within the spell effect’s range, using your own attack roll. In order to deflect a spell effect, a masterwork weapon with reflective surface or a masterwork steel shield is required. Furthermore, you must have Greater Weapon focus or Improved Shield Bash, respectively.
If the attack doesn’t miss, you must first beat your attacker with your own attack roll.
Now we're talking. This is a real defense against touch attack spells, something most characters are struggling against. However, while the effect it good, I'd throw away the weapon restrictions. As is, I wouldn't take this since GWF sucks too much. I'd also give this to all weapons. Reason? Magic.

Banishing strike
You pot yout heart & soul into your attacks and banish your extraplanar foes.
Requirements: Fighter level 12, Wis 15+, Cha 13+, Knowledge (religion) 5, Spellcraft 7, Dust of the Damned.
Benefits: Once per day per Wis-mod (min 1), you can make a special attack against an outsider. If the attack hits (touch attack will do), you may enhance his attack with Dismissal effect (Will save vs. DC = [10 + 1/2 AB + Wis-mod]), attempting to force the creature back to its native plane.
There is a 20% chance of sending the subject to a plane other than its own.
This is situational, and only useful in outsider centric campaigns. However, it has one grave oversight. "10 + 1/2 [B]AB + Wis-mod" This means, when you use it, the target is now going to win that save. Attack bonus is easily boosted and essentially means that the DC for this is going to be impossible to make. Change it to BAB, and make it once per encounter or something.
Comments in blue.
A general gripe with these is that they're all fighter only at the moment and contribute to MAD with their wisdom requirements. So yeah. I recommend giving them all boosts. I wouldn't take any of them at the moment. They're either too weak, or have prerequisites which diminish their worth.

nonsi
2010-07-10, 12:38 PM
I’ve neglected to mention that these feats are intended for a fighter-remake with 4 skill points per level, a bit more bonus feats and a metric ton of features.

But let’s see what I can make of your insights.

Crom’s Hammer
>> An adamantine weapon isn't that expensive and by
>> the time you get this, the novelty has just about worn
>> off. I'd do something to buff it and make it lower level.
I’m a bit puzzled by the “Adamantine is obsolete by 6th level” statement.
Also, the purpose is indeed to beat certain DRs, not to make another stat-booster.
But I’ll bite on the prereqs.
Given your insights, I’ll change it to Knowledge (religion) 2 and either BAB +7 or Fighter level 4

Dust of the Damned
>> This is very situational
Ghost Touch is indeed very situational, but could back you up against becoming totally useless in those situations.

>> The full round action that provokes AOO:s is just not funny
Okay, but given it imbues a weapon with a distinctively magical property – this smells like Sp to me, so it seems reasonable to lower it down to standard action.

>> and it doesn't last long enough.
Right. What would you deem worthy?

>>In addition, the wis mod is way too steep a limit.
Banishing Strike.

>> Again, boost, make lower level, and make it maybe... 1/encounter?
Okay. BAB +9 or Fighter level 6, Spellcraft 2, Knowledge (religion) 4

Spell Deflection
>> while the effect it good, I'd throw away the weapon restrictions.
>> As is, I wouldn't take this since GWF sucks too much. I'd also
>> give this to all weapons. Reason? Magic.
Okay, GWF dropped.
As for all weapons... it’s hard to imagine a trident having any reflective properties.

Banishing strike
>> This is situational, and only useful in outsider centric campaigns.
As far as my experience goes, outsiders are quite common at high-level campaigns.

>> However, it has one grave oversight. "10 + 1/2 AB + Wis-mod"
You’re definitely right, but it was just a typo.

>> make it once per encounter or something.
Sounds reasonable to me.

DracoDei
2010-07-10, 07:37 PM
Materials are the one thing that a fighter ISN'T much more self-sufficient by being able to emulate... if you buy a weapon, you can buy more than one... if you make a weapon, you can make more than one. It only gets expensive enough to at the levels in question when you factor in enchanting, which you obviously don't want to do. This solves the "golf bag" (which I actually kinda like), not fighter self-sufficiency.

Magic (as in to bypass DR/Magic), and alignments are the things that a fighter would be better able solo adventure if he could imbue into his weapon.

The other feats are more on-theme, although I will leave balance considerations to others...