PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow, When The War Began.

Serpentine
2010-07-08, 09:59 AM
Who else is excited?

Context!

Tomorrow, When the War Began is the first book of the Tomorrow... series by Australian author John Marsden. It is about a group of Aussie teenagers who happen to go bush the very weekend an unnamed Asianish country decides to invade. They go guerrilla and there's lots of action and explosions, but really it's at least as much about the characters and relationships. It is a series I strongly recommend (and I'm pretty firmly a fantasy fan).

For a number of years, there have been rumours about a movie in the making. Way back in the day when I was in high school, there were rumours that someone was scoping out my area as a possible filming location. Didn't pan out, obviously. And so we all forgot about it...

...until it was announced to open September this year. Excuse me.

*eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee e*

Who's read it? Who's looking forward to it? Who thinks it's a terrible idea? Who has a theory about the invading country? If you had your choice, who would you have cast? Who's never heard of it before and has absolutely no interest/thinks it sounds neat?

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_series) (caution: major spoilers, best to avoid them)
IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456941/)
Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KhErNyiq8)

Saph
2010-07-08, 10:06 AM
That does sound kind of cool. Aussie version of Red Dawn. I might have to look up those books. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Loss
2010-07-08, 10:09 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

Assuming they don't mess it up that is. I'll be sad when if they do.

Serpentine
2010-07-08, 10:11 AM
Re. Red Dawn: Yeah, I suppose so. Worth noting, though, that Marsden made a whole series out of it going from the start to the end of the war. Also it's Australian, so that automatically makes it like ten thousand million times better. No exaggeration. :smalltongue:

I'm a little worried that the only previous things the girl who plays Ellie (the person from whose point of view it is) has been in are Neighbours and The Sleepover Club :smalleek:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-08, 10:14 AM
*sighs, and takes out a pen and long list entitled "Books, Mangas, Fanfics, Comics, and Others to Read, Animes, TV Shows, Webseries, and Others to Watch, Songs to Listen To"*

This sounds like a very interesting book, even if it's not my typical fare.

And hey, relationship focused in addition to the main plot? I like stuff like that.

Lord Loss
2010-07-08, 10:21 AM
Re. Red Dawn: Yeah, I suppose so. Worth noting, though, that Marsden made a whole series out of it going from the start to the end of the war. Also it's Australian, so that automatically makes it like ten thousand million times better. No exaggeration. :smalltongue:

I'm a little worried that the only previous things the girl who plays Ellie (the person from whose point of view it is) has been in are Neighbours and The Sleepover Club :smalleek:

Truly, we are doomed.

That does sound kind of cool. Aussie version of Red Dawn. I might have to look up those books. :smallbiggrin:

Red Dawn? Not familliar with it...

MULTIQUOTE FTW!!!

Dienekes
2010-07-08, 10:54 AM
Red Dawn is same plot really, but American teens. Really delved into the psychology of warfare as the teens were confronted with the terrible things they had to do to stay as guerrillas. Also the invading nation(s) are most definitely named.

Overall, yeah I'd see this. I'm a sucker for these kind of stories.

The Glyphstone
2010-07-08, 12:25 PM
I feel like I've vaguely heard of this book before...do they end up in New Zealand at the end of the first one?

TheThan
2010-07-08, 12:55 PM
Red Dawn is same plot really, but American teens. Really delved into the psychology of warfare as the teens were confronted with the terrible things they had to do to stay as guerrillas. Also the invading nation(s) are most definitely named.

Overall, yeah I'd see this. I'm a sucker for these kind of stories.

also it was the commies that invaded, not some unidentifiable Asian country. (Russia and Cuba if my memory serves).

KnightDisciple
2010-07-08, 01:39 PM
also it was the commies that invaded, not some unidentifiable Asian country. (Russia and Cuba if my memory serves).

Yep. Red Dawn (Patrick Swayze fights the Commies) was a Russian invasion.

Cobalt
2010-07-08, 02:17 PM
Never heard of Tomorrow..., but I'll probably get into it because of this thread.

SurlySeraph
2010-07-08, 05:22 PM
They're awesome books, which I highly recommend to everyone. As for the trailer, it looks a lot more Hollywood-ish and less dark and realistic than I expected, but that's kind of in the nature of action movies.

Serpentine
2010-07-08, 07:54 PM
I feel like I've vaguely heard of this book before...do they end up in New Zealand at the end of the first one?In a later book, I think.

Rawhide
2010-07-08, 10:02 PM
Excellent book/series. Read it. 'Nuff said.

Hope the movie lives up to legacy of the book.

SilverSheriff
2010-07-10, 05:59 AM
These Books are actually what got me into reading, looking forward to seeing the movies.

Eddums
2010-07-10, 06:55 AM
My God. I first read this book years ago, and I'd forgotten how good it was. I'll have to dig out my copy, and give it another once over. :smallsmile:

Somebloke
2010-07-10, 06:31 PM
Hmmm. If there's a movie coming out then they'll have to actually identify (roughly) the nationality of the invaders, something they always managed to avoid doing in the books.