PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Psion?[3.5]

Dragon Elite
2010-07-08, 10:34 AM
I was wondering if I should start as a psion at level 1, pick up some useful buffs, and crystal shard, e bad for 1 level, then multiclass to rogue. Or should it be rogue first?

Buffs I'm considering:
Catfall: For the times you miss a pit trap
Control light: More sneak attacks.
Force Screen: AC never hurts
Grease, Psionic: Sneak attacks!
Skate: More speed for scouting

Also, what race? I was thinking Xeph, for the +2 dexterity and +10 ft speed 3 times a day.
So... Help me optimize my rogue/psion!

PId6
2010-07-08, 10:49 AM
Definitely Rogue first. You're essentially getting 24 extra skill points by doing that, not to mention 2 extra HP as well.

For race, you can't really go wrong with human...

Definitely consider being a Shaper. Astral Construct can help you flank (though the 1 round manifesting time is annoying), while Psionic Minor Creation is awesome for making poisons.

Dragon Elite
2010-07-08, 10:57 AM
That's true. Human is also good because rogues are way too feat starved.
Any idea what feats/powers to take?

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 11:04 AM
Since you're primarily "going rogue" (Ha, I made a funny) - why not just be a Psychic Rogue? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)

Darkxarth
2010-07-08, 11:35 AM
Since you're primarily "going rogue" (Ha, I made a funny) - why not just be a Psychic Rogue? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)

I agree, Psychic Rogues are basically the perfect mesh of Psion and Rogue.

However, if all you want is a one-level dip to grab some 1st level powers, then you are better off going Rogue 1/Psion 1/Rogue X, since Rogues have better skill points and sneak attack progression than Psychic Rogues.

erikun
2010-07-08, 12:00 PM
Well, first I would recommend checking out the Psychic Rogue (above) or the Lurk (Complete Psionic). They are both roguish psionic classes, and they may have powers more fitting for your character concept.

Rogue/War Mind might also be a decent choice, depending on what you are planning and how well you can qualify for the prestige class.

Unless you are interested in putting full ranks in multiple knowledge skills, Rogue would be the better class to start with. Consider human with the Able Learner feat, so you don't have to worry about half-skill points, or convince your DM to allow Able Learner-style multiclassing. You will also want the Practiced Manifester feat, to be capable of spending more PP each round (and getting more use out of your /round powers).

As for which Psion, the Shaper is indeed very nice. Most of their powers tend to hang around for more than one round, and given that you have less PP than a full class Psion, you don't want to be expending them unnecessarily. Nomad (teleporting) and Seer (clairvoyance) could also be helpful too, depending on what kind of rogue you are making.

As for powers, anyone going into combat will get much usage out of Vigor. Force Screen is handy if you are going two-weapons, and Synesthete is nice for walking around in otherwise pitch darkness. The Psychic Warrior's Lion's Charge (with Expanded Knowledge) will likely be quite useful, especially with TWF in the first round of combat.

Other powers I can think of would be Conceal Thoughts, Detect Psionics, Concealing Amorpha, Cloud Mind, Tongues, Psionic Lock. I am intentionally choosing powers that help with utility, rather than anything you would manifest repeatedly in every combat. You simply don't have the PP to spam Energy Ray at people repeatedly; Force Screen paired with Concealing Amorpha before tossing knifes at people would be a better strategy.

Dragon Elite
2010-07-08, 12:14 PM
I think I'll go for Psychic Rogue, with the powers listed above. THank you everybody!

Adumbration
2010-07-08, 02:17 PM
There's also the Lurk base class in Complete Psionic, but... We don't like to talk about it. It's kinda embarrasing.

Ernir
2010-07-08, 02:46 PM
The Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) is "designed" for a Rogue/Psion mix.

Personally, I'd prefer just playing a Psychic Rogue, but since you were talking about multiclassing between the two...