PDA

View Full Version : Injuries ITP

Marillion
2010-07-08, 11:23 AM
So I'm at work, I'm tired, and I'm dicing tomatoes. Slice, slice, slice, slice, CRUNCH.

Oh poo.

All of a sudden, there's a large amount of blood and a big freakin' chunk of thumb on my cutting board. No big deal, stop the bleeding, bandage the thumb, throw out the tomato I was dicing as well as my thumb chunk, wash the cutting board, resume dicing.

A week and a half later, I'm at work, I'm tired, and I'm operating the meat slicer. I put the pepperoni on the meat slicer, I turn it on, I realize I forgot to put the guard on, turn it off, and reach in without waiting for the blade to stop spinning.

BZZT.

DANG IT MY OTHER THUMB.

The best part about that story, you know, the one where I almost lose a finger? The kevlar glove that I should have been wearing but couldn't find...Was on top of the first aid station. Also, identical thumb scars.

Every cook and server: "How you doing, Marillion?"
Me: *two thumbs up*

tl;dr Asymmetry is for wimps.

ITT: Tell us about the funniest time you've ever hurt yourself.

Dogmantra
2010-07-08, 11:38 AM
I had my tooth knocked out playing Rugby.

There are four punchlines here and I'll leave you to pick one or all.
I hate Rugby and really wish I wasn't playing. It was one session where I actually decided to participate.
When you're being coached, you're always told "if you're tackling them, they're the only person who should get hurt." ... I was tackling.
My tooth flew out of my mouth and onto the ground. Later, a friend told me they thought I was picking a daisy. Yes, I was picking a daisy right after tackling someone in a game of Rugby.
I was, understandably, late to my next lesson at school. I walked in calmly, lisping a bit from the splint used to keep the reinserted tooth in place and said "I'm sorry I'm late, sir, I was having emergency dental surgery to replace a tooth." I sat down and just got on with the lesson. That was fun.

Blue Ghost
2010-07-08, 11:42 AM
I was off in Mexico building an orphanage last week. Though I've had no construction experience before, I managed not to get hurt. Ironically, when I got back from the worksite, I cut my hand falling off a hammock. :smalltongue:

Spiryt
2010-07-08, 11:46 AM
Funny, I just chopped my leg with an axe... not very effectively fortunately. :smalltongue:

I hacked the piece of wood in rather lame way, with too much force, so it split, and axe which wasn't completely stopped, opened a gash in my skin.

There's no "funny" part per se, I guess, I'm just glad that it's minor, could be much worse.

SpiderMew
2010-07-08, 11:54 AM
One day a big black bumble bee flew into the house and got into a high window. My little brother freaked out and ran out of the room and i got up on a 4ft step latter with a vacume pack i held under my arm and hose in the other. I sucked that bee into the vacume and i shut it off. My mom from upstares shouts. "Turn the vacume back on!!!" I get startled, turn it on but fall off the steplatter and onto my right side. I broke my elbow, my wrist, my ankle, my heel and my shin.
I was stuck in a wheelchair for a year.

The nurses at the E.R. wouldnt stop singing "Im a little baby, bumble bee"

Vaynor
2010-07-08, 01:39 PM
Funny, I just chopped my leg with an axe... not very effectively fortunately. :smalltongue:

I hacked the piece of wood in rather lame way, with too much force, so it split, and axe which wasn't completely stopped, opened a gash in my skin.

There's no "funny" part per se, I guess, I'm just glad that it's minor, could be much worse.

I find your avatar incredibly ironic in this situation. It would appear he made the same mistake, except with someone else's leg. :smallamused:

The worst I've been injured is a broken pinky toe, which got snagged on a bedpost.

Worira
2010-07-08, 01:43 PM
I fell backwards off the balancing beam onto my back and sprained my ribs.

Another time, I jumped down from the sliding pole and sprained my ankle.

Spiryt
2010-07-08, 01:48 PM
I find your avatar incredibly ironic in this situation. It would appear he made the same mistake, except with someone else's leg. :smallamused:

The worst I've been injured is a broken pinky toe, which got snagged on a bedpost.

Lol! I now noticed it too!

I'm just glad that my axe wasn't in any way similar to the bardiche of my avatar, because I would be legless now. :smalleek:

Asta Kask
2010-07-08, 01:52 PM
I've taken a dive to avoid beeing seen, landed on my arm and knocked my shoulder out of joint. I don't recommend it - it hurt like hell.

onthetown
2010-07-08, 01:54 PM
All of my major ones seem to be from horses...

Got a concussion last year when my horse spooked and threw himself to the side to evade something in the air while he was in the middle of a jump (he's a ninja or something) and I landed on my head.

Got knocked down, run over, and kicked 10 feet across the arena in the back of the neck by a scared pony that I was leading for a little girl who had never ridden before.

Edit: One just happened the other day. It was windy and rainy out and the horses were being freaked out by all the noise and whatnot, and I had to take them across the highway up to our field for them at night. Unfortunately, I forgot that they have their order -- my friend's horse first, then my horse and they're very well-behaved for this -- and that they are very particular about that order, and I took my horse first. Wind, rain, heavy traffic not slowing down or watching where they were going, plus my guy being impossible because he doesn't like being taken up first... So he tried to take off back to where his buddy was and dragged me out into the middle of the highway, jerked my arm nearly out of its socket and almost ran me over. I strained my ankle but still managed to hold on to him, got him up the giant hill, and went back to get his friend... Who did exactly the same thing. All the walking just made my ankle worse. The next day, I remembered to take them back in their particular order and they were little angels.

Various other minor/majorish stuff from horses. "Prepare for pain" is pretty much in the job description when you're working and doing all sorts of stuff with large animals and farm equipment.

The only unrelated one I can think of is when I was in grade 8 and decided to run across the back yard barefoot. Tripped over a broken tree stump that was hidden in the grass and tore my foot to shreds.

I always managed to retain my sense of humour and ability to laugh it off, though.

MountainKing
2010-07-08, 02:08 PM
I'll keep the story short, highlighting the main details:

During summer camp one year in my youth as a Boy Scout, another kid got upset and decided he was going to undo all of "his" work on our camp's gate (which was built entirely out of sticks and wood dragged out of the surrounding forest, bound with twine), by way of hacking at all the knots with a hatchet from his tent.

Given that the gate's primary driving force during construction was one of my best friends, I dash after the kid and put him into a full nelson. Being taller, I lifted the kid off his feet (not the best plan, though effective). The kid, now furious that he'd been thwarted, started screaming and flailing his limbs... hatchet included. I got hit in the side of the head with the hatchet, which dazed me a little, but didn't make me drop the kid. My friend ran over, disarmed the angry kid, then one of our leaders rumbled into the camp and bellowed at us. Post-terrifying scene (the man was like five bears, and all of them were angry), the leader takes the kid away, leaving my friend and I standing there, dazed and wondering what the Hell had just happened.

I walked away with a small trickle of blood; thank the powers that the kid had been stupid enough to maintain his tools poorly at best.

Incidentally, that was one of the best summer camps ever. :smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2010-07-08, 02:09 PM
I don't really have any funny stories that resulted in injuries. Actually, the only thing I'd really call an injury was getting the palm of my hand sliced open. Not much of a story to that one. Everything else has just resulted in bruises and scrapes.

I've done plenty of stupid things, I just always seem to come out no worse for the wear.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-08, 03:44 PM
I have quite a few scars on my hands from cat scratches; abandoned cats and kittens can be unpredictable, and sometimes the shelter groomer doesn't clip their nails. They're hard to see most of the time, and I think that getting animals adopted is worth a few scars.

Dvil
2010-07-08, 04:23 PM
Well, I have two scars in my left wrist from when I broke them both, but the left one had to be pinned.

A while ago there was more scar tissue than skin on the tips of my thumbs, but then they seemed to fix themselves spontaneously, from my use of a craft-knife.
My first ever Chaos 40k models (as opposed to converted loyalists) required a similar blood sacrifice.

My head's very lumpy, from at least two serious knocks

My neck's got a permanent crick, due to an incident with a tarzan swing

And that's all I can think of right now.

Teddy
2010-07-08, 04:35 PM
I've managed to go through most of my lived life without almost nothing worse than a few small cuts and scratches. I did manage scratched my right elbow pretty badly when I fell with my bike a few weeks ago (it was a slightly chilly day, so, luckily, I was wearing a jacket), but when it was almost healed, I managed to scratch it open again while playing with one of my cousines, although that might have been positive for the healing process, ironically enough.

I do also have a funny anecdote which I heard from my cousines' dad. Texting from a phone is slightly frustrating, though, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow before I'll make any atempt on translating and writing it down.

Delwugor
2010-07-08, 05:16 PM
I think I've got Carpal Tunnel in my left hand and it has been really hurting the last month or so.

SurlySeraph
2010-07-08, 05:17 PM
I got a pretty bad high ankle sprain during a wrestling tournament. I was starting a stand-up, on one foot and one knee, and my opponent yanks me straight down. As in, trying to force me into the ground. Lots of force on my ankle, and it hurt like hell, so the ref stopped the match for a moment. I didn't want to forfeit and due to the adrenaline it didn't hurt too much, so I kept going (and lost). After the match, I suddenly realized that I was limping, and soon afterward couldn't put any weight on that foot. I got ice and waited for my next match, not wanting to forfeit because... well, mostly because I'm an idiot.

I managed during the match due to adrenaline, though I also lost and couldn't put weight on that foot anymore immediately afterwards. Since I'd won my first match, I'd have to lose one more match before I could be eliminated. My next opponent was someone I was familiar with and knew I had no chance against, so I decided to wrestle him anyway just for the experience. I promptly lost, on account of having a hurt ankle and being up against a guy who could arm-wrestle a bear without significant injury. After that, I hopped off the mat to locate ice, hopped to the locker room, and after realizing that there was no way in hell I'd make it to the subway hopped up to the curb to get a cab, expecting it would feel better by the time I got home.

And that's why I spent two months on crutches and couldn't go to any other tournaments that year.

Lorn
2010-07-08, 05:47 PM
Nothing hugely impressive.

Trimming a buckle off of an old piece of belt. The very sharp very heavy knife slipped. It went into my hand. There was very little pain - or blood. Just me thinking "ooh, that probably shouldn't have happened" upon looking and realising there was a 3ml deep gash. Plaster on hand for next while, and now I have a scar.

There's also a very small barely noticeable scar on my right knuckles from when I took a re-enactment sword across them.

Similarly, the amount of times I've done something horrible to my right thumb in that... with my short axe, the best shot is over the other person's shield. The way to block it: Raise shield. If I'm too slow or they're too fast, this means shield hitting one side of thumb and axe - extremely heavy axe - on the other side. Most recent time this happened I didn't realise until I took my glove off and realised that my thumb was twice the size it should be. No marks or anything though, and continued fighting through the weekend - and even passed my axe test :)

Thajocoth
2010-07-08, 11:28 PM
What've I got...

I locked my thumb in the car when I was little. Back seat, locks are front only. Whole car was locked. Another key on the same keychain was in the house's front door. This is before the era of pressing a button to lock/unlock the car. Not even a scar...

-----

I was once hit by a car crossing a street on a bicycle. Went up, went down. Didn't hurt. I was just gonna leave... But the guy who hit me and the next two cars wouldn't let me go. So I called home and mentioned what happened, then one of the other guys there talks to my mom... Next thing I know, someone dumps cold water on me. Asking why, I discover the following things:
* I'm bleeding.
* My housekey inserted itself directly into my side. (Straight in. Perpendicular to the skin.)
* I lost most of my keychain
* A metal rectangle I got from Disney World was folded perfectly in half by my fall. Probably 1/16-1/8 in thick, 2in x 1in.

And shortly after: Ambulance beds are pretty comfortable.

-----

At work... We got a staplegun for some wires (for a Rock Band Xmas party). Guy at Home Depot, showing how to use it, stapled his thumb. The coworker of mine who picked it up told me of this detail.

Later, something on my desk needs stapling. The office secretary comes over to staple it, with the staplegun. I'm about to tell him to be careful with it, as someone else stapled themselves with it, but I figure that my coworker probably already told him the story.

The skin on his thumb was pulled down, meaning the points of the staple both reached bone to tack it down like that. He said that it didn't hurt. He got the rest of the day off... I've always felt guilty about that.

-----

Plastic swordfight. First grade. I stepped backwards. I fell off the thingy and broke my left wrist under the weight of the rest of my body. Only bone I ever broke. The thing was like a treehouse, but part of a swingset. You know what I mean?

-----

My mother ran a day care. It was my Father's birthday. Ice cream cake. She cuts it with a pie cutter. Ceramic handle + frozen cake = blood. While my dad was pulling her out of the house to the hospital, she was instructing my brother and I on what knife to use instead, and to take from the half with no blood on it. Later, she drew eyes on her index finger, making the stitch look like a mouth and showed to the kids in the day care, calling it Mr. Stitchy.

-----

Recent: Thunder and lightning, no rain yet, cat's outside, cats hate water. So I pick him up to bring him in. Then, thunder strikes. Cats are very sharp. Especially when scared.

Irenaeus
2010-07-12, 07:11 AM
I have a cauliflower ear right now. It's not funny, nor especially serious, but it is damned annoying.

And, contrary to what my trainer says, I really don't believe the chicks dig it.

Lioness
2010-07-12, 07:35 AM
Somehow, I've managed to stuff up one of my knees, and occasionally whilst shooting, my back goes click in odd ways.

I need to see someone about it

Mr. Moon
2010-07-12, 09:30 PM
While I feel extremely silly for posting this next to Lorn, who has scars from freaking axes... My most recent injury came today.

I have new dress-sandles (nooooo idea how to spell that and apparently Spellcheck doesn't either) that I need to break in. I also had to go out today. The plan was to go out, take the bus to my doctor's, take the bus home, stay home for a while, then go out a little later to hang out with my friends. I figured I wear my sandles for the bus ride, and when I got home, I'd change into something more comfortable.
I never made it home - ended up getting off at the wrong stop and having to walk for ages and a half instead. So I was late for my appointment, and when I headed home, I realized I didn't have time to go, so I skipped that and met up with my friends.
Now, the sandles in question are not walking sandles. And because I've been out in them all day, I know have four massive blisters. Owwwww. v.v

fknm
2010-07-12, 10:12 PM
If I count serious cuts/sprains/chipped teeth from impacts of various sorts, I'll be here all day, so here's just the ones I've had to go to a doctor for:

When I was 2, I tried pulling the curtains that were over my bed off. Namely, by climbing up the headboard of the bed, and throwing my weight against the curtains. It worked. And I managed to break my collar bone in the process.

Also that year, it was discovered that I had a dislocated hip. I don't remember any of it (obviously), but I've seen the pictures of me in traction- they actually had to pin both legs in traction, since I was using my free leg to pull the other one out. I've also seen pictures of me in the bodycast for 6 months afterwards.

Apparently, when I was 4, my older sister dropped me head-first onto the cement at the local park because she thought I was taking too long at the water-fountain. Oddly, I have no recollection of this, but everyone in my family said it happened, so I'm forced to conclude that it did happen.

Fun fact- there was a hole in one of the 50-yard-dash lanes on field day at my Elementary school in 1994. The cost of this discovery- a broken tibia, a broken fibula, and a broken growth plate in the ankle.

Oh, and I managed to re-break the ankle a year later. And, again, a year after that.

When I was 10, I was coming home from school late, and was in a hurry, and managed to trip and get a nasty gash on my head from this sharp metal thing. It wouldn't be noteworthy, aside from the fact that it got infected, turned bright green, and took a very long time to heal because of that. I managed to earn myself the nickname "busted-head guy" among several friends I had recently met as a result of this.

In 7th grade I managed to break 2 ribs while running bleachers on the Football team. It turns out that falling side-first across the corner of a bleacher isn't a good thing.

In 10th grade, I managed to dislocate my left shoulder practicing front-elbow strikes on a heavy bag during Taekwondo. That hurt. Later that year, I managed to break the ring finger on my right hand. That also hurt.

And, finally, most recently, I broke the little toe on my right foot. It didn't feel good, either, but it was less serious than the vast majority of what was mentioned above.

Lycan 01
2010-07-12, 10:54 PM
I told my girlfriend I loved her for the first time. She collapsed one of my ribs. Anyone care to take a guess at how that happened? :smalleek:

A few weeks later, I said something really deep, meaningful, and romantic my girlfriend. That poor rib hadn't even finished healing...

Broke my pinky and ring finger knuckles on my right hand punching my brother in the gut. Little weasel jumped and spun, so I punched him in the hip instead, resulting in lots of pain for me and lots of laughter for him. Hand was messed up for about 2 months, give or take a week...

Rather bad tear duct infection last year. Lasted months, and at its worst point I was literally rolling around on the floor screaming agony, clawing at my face. That's how I found out a cold compress made it worse... :smallannoyed:

Last fall, my dorm had a Fire Drill at 10 PM. I fell down the stairs, jarring my entire spine, spasming my diaphragm, spraining my wrist. Unable to breath or move, I had to be carried down three flights of stairs by football players, because no one told us it was a drill and thus we couldn't stop to check my condition. They offered me an ambulance ride, but the EMTs said it was just a sprain, and I felt that a hospital visit would be pointless and just give my parents more bills they couldn't pay. The next few days were, obviously, painful. Lots of ice, lots of pressure wrap to immobilize my wrist, and lots of pain meds. I may have actually broken it, because full mobility didn't return for months. My left wrist now pops and clicks weirdly now, and the ligaments are so loose that when I turn my hand from side to side, the tendons or whatever get caught on the edge of my radius/ulna/whatever and feel reeeeeeeally weird. Its quite... odd.

Thajocoth
2010-07-12, 10:56 PM
I told my girlfriend I loved her for the first time. She collapsed one of my ribs. Anyone care to take a guess at how that happened? :smalleek:

A few weeks later, I said something really deep, meaningful, and romantic my girlfriend. That poor rib hadn't even finished healing...

She hugged you hard enough to hurt you?

My ex-girlfriend nearly suffocated me once (didn't realize that I could neither breathe nor break her grip), though that was quite a different scenario... People who live in a city where you can walk everywhere tend to have strong legs. It wasn't really an injury, but I did start to get a bit lightheaded before she finally let go...

Lycan 01
2010-07-12, 11:20 PM
Yep. She latched on, I couldn't breath, and then I felt an intense stabbing pain in my right side as I felt something give beneath the pressure. I couldn't take a full deep breath for about 2-3 weeks, and then my side still hurt for awhile after that.

Then she broke it again. :smallsigh:

Yikes. :smalleek: Er... sounds fun?

Guess that's why she's your ex. XD

Thajocoth
2010-07-12, 11:32 PM
Yikes. :smalleek: Er... sounds fun?

Guess that's why she's your ex. XD

Not so fun. I'm not a fan of being unable to breathe... Only happened the one time though. At least she didn't break anything.

She's my ex 'cause I found out she already had a BF.

Lycan 01
2010-07-12, 11:45 PM
Yeesh. Sorry to hear that, man. :smallsigh:

Oh, I forgot about three other injuries -

Surgery scar on right knee: when I was five, a small sliver of metal got lodged in my knee, became infected, and had to be surgically removed.

Forehead scar: slipped and fell on the playground in 5th grade, hitting my face of a wooden beam. Split my forehead, needed 4 stitches, and led to many Harry Potter jokes later in life, since I look kinda like The Boy Who Lived. Even had to sign an autograph for a little girl once... :smallconfused:

Barbed wire in hand: Bike at full speed + table in backyard + roll of barbed wire on table + trying to catch myself with my hand = one deep stab wound and a deep gash in my palm. They were directly on my palm lines, though, so you can't see the scars.

Thajocoth
2010-07-12, 11:51 PM
That reminds me... I've been told that the scar on my chin is from jumping off a couch onto a glass table at the age of 2. I have no recollection. None of my other injuries seem to scar me... There's a surgical scar on my neck, but that's not injury related.

blackfox
2010-07-12, 11:58 PM
Fell asleep on a hot summer night after having kicked all the covers off, because it was hot. Dreamed I was really, REALLY pissed at someone, tried to kick him in the balls, ended up actually kicking out, and kicked the corner of the windowsill, which was right over my bed.

Woke up, it was ~1AM, thought 'Ffffffff, I hurt myself again.' Fell back asleep, come morning, it was swollen and purple and broken and absolutely beautiful. Broke foot, in sleep.

Serpentine
2010-07-12, 11:59 PM
Hmmmm...

When I was little, I'd ride on the back of my sister's bicycle. We did that for years with no problems, but one day I managed to get my feet stuck in the spokes. Don't really remember it, but I understand it hurt.

I once broke my arm catching a ball.

I think I broke my tailbone once. I was rather inebriated at the time. I was leaning against a door waiting for a friend, then slid down it. I didn't realise that at the bottom there was one of these being used as a door stop:

http://nancysbackwoods.com/ProdImages/iron-large.jpg

except this one had a sharp right-angled handle. I landed, tailbone-first, with all my weight, on the angle of the handle. I was squirming around on the ground in pain. Didn't help that that night I had to sleep on an uncomfortable couch... Dr. Mum ended up giving me painkillers for most of a year because it kept hurting, and I couldn't do sit-ups for quite a while. I don't know for sure whether it was broken, though, because they don't like doing x-rays in that area on women, and they wouldn't've been able to do anything for it anyway. I am a bit worried about it breaking again in childbirth, though...

arguskos
2010-07-13, 12:03 AM
I was stabbed once, during a fight I was trying to break up. Folks never found out, due to a friend of mine having access to a doctor who was discrete about such things. The scar is gone, actually, strange as that is. It's like it never happened.

That's... about it. Everyone else seems to be far more interesting in this regard than I am.

Partof1
2010-07-13, 12:12 AM
A few scars, mostly inconsequential.

One on the back of my head when I was hit with the snowboard I was wearing.

Other injuries have been scarless.

I took a sled off a ramp I saw some snowboarders using at a small local hill, and hurt my tailbone pretty bad.

Bruised my wristbones falling off moneybars onto a wooden platform below them.

All in all, I've been pretty okay, though. Nothing huge.

blackfox
2010-07-13, 12:15 AM
I think I broke my tailbone once. I was rather inebriated at the time. I was leaning against a door waiting for a friend, then slid down it. I didn't realise that at the bottom there was one of these being used as a door stop:Ew. Tailbones suck. I broke mine skiing... some snowboarder thought it was a good idea to ride over my skis. x.x

Partof1
2010-07-13, 12:21 AM
Ew. Tailbones suck. I broke mine skiing... some snowboarder thought it was a good idea to ride over my skis. x.x

I bruised mine, then had it reinjured when some skier decided to run over my board :smalltongue:

Thajocoth
2010-07-13, 12:37 AM
Ew. Tailbones suck. I broke mine skiing... some snowboarder thought it was a good idea to ride over my skis. x.x

This is why I always say something if I'm coming somewhat close to someone on my snowboard... For example: "Right!" Then you could go left a little and avoid a mishap.

My friend came with rollerblading kneepads once. They slipped right off when he needed them... You need the right pads for the right sport. His knees were messed up for a few months, but he still came when we went the next year. We all bought snowboarding kneepads after that.

Mr. Moon
2010-07-13, 01:56 AM
I once went skiing...

Turns out, I'm crap at it! I was doing okay, until I lost control on the first run the instructors let us go on that wasn't barely inclined. Although, as far as I was concerned, it was frickin' steep as Everest. So I'm going down a hill with two slippery planks on my feet that I can't control, and I'm trying so hard to stop or slow down that it doesn't even occur to me to just fall or call for help.

And then I looked up.

And I'm barrelling right towards this little kid. He couldn't have been more than five years old. His dad was teaching him to snowboard. They were wearing red coats.

I nearly crashed right into him. I managed to remember to scream just in time, and doing so broke my concentration on staying vertical just enough that I immediately toppled over.

Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, and neither was the kid. I couldn't go back on my skis, though. I was so horrified that I'd nearly killed the kid, I just broke down crying and an instructor helped me get to the lodge. I ended up hiding out in the locker room reading Star Trek books the whole day.

So, not an injury, per se. But I'm terrified of skiing now, so I guess you could say it's a psychological injury or something, and that this totally isn't a thread-jack.

drakir_nosslin
2010-07-13, 05:50 AM
This happened almost 17 years ago, and it wasn't me that got hurt, it was my dear brother, but anyway...

My brother didn't feel quite well, so he got permission to stay home from school one day (my parents were quite lenient (correct usage?) about such things, but we did quite well anyway, or thanks to that, I don't know). I'm the youngest, and so I came home first.

Alone at home, me and my brother started playing tag, with him chasing me. I jump from a couch and through a doorway and start running down the hall. Then I hear a *bumb* and a *thud*. As I turn around I see my brother lying on the floor, bleeding from his head. When he tried to do the same jump as me, he hit his head since he was quite a bit taller than me back then.

I panic, as I always did in my younger days and ran out. There I met my mom on her way inside and as I pass by her I just said:

"Marcus has hurt his head and is bleeding lots. I'm going over to grandma"
Needless to say, she got quite worried, and drove him to the hospital. It turned out that it wasn't bad, but he had to have a couple of stitches. When it was all over the doctor looked at my brother and said;
"So.. You were home being too sick to go to school, but managed to chase your brother through the house and jump and hit your head in a doorway? I think that you are sick enough to go to school again tomorrow."

Marillion
2010-07-13, 10:01 AM
I was walking my dog at night, wandering around the neighborhood, waiting for him to poo, when he saw a rabbit. Now, I'm all for chasing rabbits: as long as I see them too. I didn't. The dog yanks on the leash, dragging me along half a step...Off the sidewalk and onto the grass. Half of my foot stays on the sidewalk, while the other half folds under my leg. I swear, my foot was...perpendicular to my leg. There was a loud cracking noise and I went down like...someone who'd just sprained his ankle really bad. Fortunately, my ex was not my ex at the time, and she helped me hobble back to the apartment...Down a flight of stairs and up another 4.

The next day, it was swollen bigger than my boss' ego.

tomandtish
2010-07-17, 02:18 PM
So it is New Year's Eve, and my grandfather has gotten some fireworks, including some large tube thing that's supposed to do stuff for about a minute. It's about 24 inches high, 12 inches in diameter, and the cardboard sides are about ½ inch thick.

I light the fuse, and it disappears into the side …. and … nothing. We wait five minutes, then I light a sparkler, shove it in the fuse hole, and … nothing. I light a handful of sparklers. Drop them in the top …. and …. nothing.

My grandfather walks out with a lit propane torch and hands it to me, and I hold it next to the fuse hole (you can begin mocking me now). The cardboard is thick, so nothing happens right away. As I'm sitting there trying to light this thing, something flashes through my mind. "THIRD LAW OF PHYSICS". (Yes, it flashes in all caps).

So I start wondering why that is going through my head. I then ask my self what the third law of physics is, and get "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". "How does that apply in this case?" "Well, that means that when I burn the hole through the side, this thing isn't going to erupt through the top, it's going to … oh s%&t!".

I spin around, plant my foot, and right as I start to move the whole thing blows out the side. I come diving out of a huge fireball and roll to a stop. After I stop smoldering, my grandfather looks at me and says "Oops".

Thanks to the thick coat and pants, I got off relatively lucky. Hair all gone, some small 3rd degree burns on the scalp, and the clothes were shot.

mucat
2010-07-17, 02:40 PM
So it is New Year's Eve, and my grandfather has gotten some fireworks, including some large tube thing that's supposed to do stuff for about a minute. It's about 24 inches high, 12 inches in diameter, and the cardboard sides are about ½ inch thick.

...escalating unsuccessful attempts to light the thing snipped...

My grandfather walks out with a lit propane torch and hands it to me, and I hold it next to the fuse hole (you can begin mocking me now).

He hands it to you? What the hell was he thinking?

I mean, I have few principles in life, but one of them is "If I go get a propane torch to set off explosives with, I will damned well handle the thing myself!"

Swordguy
2010-07-17, 02:45 PM
Oddly, even though I do a fair amount of dangerous things, I don't tend to get injured doing them. Most of my injuries have come from diving into a pool, playing softball at my university theatre department, and petting cats. Here are some exceptions:

During a production of Cyrano de Bergerac at Northern Kentucky University back in 2001-ish, I was playing one (well several) mooks in the show, being the school "fight guy". The person playing Cyrano got "red light fever" during the 100 men fight, and began improvising his choreography. As the fight was poorly lit, I was unaware of this until he started going off-track, feinted high, and lunged low. His sword (This, with a dull 37" oval Schalger blade (http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/catalog.php?item=230&catid=70&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D70)) went clean through the outside of my calf. I collapsed on the ground (I was supposed to die about then anyway), and the show went on...wherein I reported to the Fight Captain (me) that I had been injured, poured some medicinal bourbon onto both sides of the wound (it's a college theatre - if you think there isn't booze in every possible cabinet you aren't a real theatre person), shoved Kleenex into the wound, wrapped it tightly in duct tape, and got back out onstage for the next three fights I had to do against the guy. I hit him at the bar later - not in the face, though. We still had to run the show for another two weeks.

My most severe concussion came while playing ice hockey. No - not by getting hit by a puck. I was on a breakaway, and the defender had lost his stick. The schmuck grabbed my ponytail and yanked backwards, dislodging my helmet while I was falling to the ice. Unconscious for about 30 minutes, and couldn't work (I drove the Zamboni at the same ice rink) for a week and a half. On the bright side, my team put the guy in the hospital for doing it.

From 2005-2006, I was in the US Army. We were doing workups to Iraq - out for a week on an FTX. The military loves using artillery simulators - essentially air cannons buried in the ground, to give a feeling of additional "realism" to the exercise. As it happened, we had gotten off-course (our LT was slightly worse at reading maps than the idiot LT at the beginning of Band of Brothers) and strayed into a zone full of the damn things. So there I was, lying in the prone with my SAW (smallest guy in the squad automatically gets to carry the heaviest weapon), and one of them goes up...right under my leg. Shatters it, badly. Since we're in a heavily wooded area, and no air extraction is available, the friggin LT makes me walk back to the staging area (about a mile and a half), using my weapon as a crutch (after I splinted the break with a pair of M16 heat shields and a shoelace). I've got about a pound of metal reinforcing my right leg for the rest of my life (the bone just above the ankle was in 16 pieces, and a spiral fracture the length of the tibia; the Fib was broken into 4 parts) and airport metal detectors hate me...but I at least pick up VA disability (and a medical discharge) from it. Ticked me off something fierce, too - all my friends got to go be soldiers again and I got left behind.

Teddy
2010-07-17, 05:06 PM
Well, some time ago, I promised to give you this story, which I heard from my cousines' dad who's in the military (I don't know if he wittnessed this first-hand or not):

It was a military exercise. One of the soldiers had snuck himself some rest under a tree, when the sergeant (I think) found him. The sergeant asked where the guy had his rifle, which isn't allowed to be more than an arm's length away from you. Naturally, the rifle wasn't lying beside this guy, and the sergeant, in a fit of rage, kicks down one of the alcohol burners used for cooking. This starts a small forest fire.

Meanwhile, another soldier, tasked with chopping firewood, realizes that he has missplaced his axe. Because he saw how angry the sergeant can be, he decides not to tell him about it and proceedes to try and use his shovel instead. The shovel slips and chops his knee instead.

Finally, in the middle of this mess, the field priest arrives to the scene to check out how the boys are doing in the forrest. She sees the angry sergeant, the soldiers running around to get water and put out the fire, and the poor guy who copped his own knee with his shovel. Next to her sits a third soldier and carves on a stick with his knife. "At least, someone seems to know what he's doing.", she says to him. "What?", he replies and cuts himself in the thumb.

Now, there might be some parts which I've forgotten or mixed up, but I think I got it mostly right. A quite hillarious chain reaction I'd say, although, perhaps not for the ones involved. :smallwink:

Bhu
2010-07-19, 03:09 PM
ITT: Tell us about the funniest time you've ever hurt yourself.

I was helping my friend Mike clean and pretty up a new house he'd bought with his cousin Phil. Phil has to stay with Mike as he's been hit by lightning several times, and is no longer competent to live by himself (the worst strike required the removal of some of his teeth as they had apparently fused together). We're up on the roof when I ask Phil to pass me a can of paint, and he tosses it at me overhand hitting me square in the temple. I fall of the roof of the second story house, and land on the edge of the back seat of the riding mower on my breastbone. Amazingly after an xray in the hospital they find I have not broken anything, I've just bruised the flesh all the way to the bone. We go back and decide to call it a day, and phil goes to the basement to fill the pails with water (for some reason unknown to us he's hooked the hose up there because 'it seems right'), and equally unknown to us he's mixing up some bleach and other chemicals to really scrub the area, and he makes what I think may have been chlorine gas. We drag him out of it while a neighbor calls 911, and I subsequently pass out before the ambulance arrives. I'm told the hospital looked somewhat startled to see us again to say the least...

Castaras
2010-07-19, 04:03 PM
I tried making a plastic kit... while in bed. Craft knife in bed cutting the plastic... yeaaaaah. I have a white scar on my thumb from that.

I also was cycling outside my house, on our driveway. Our driveway is a slope down towards the corner of the house, where you can then turn round the corner of the house to get to our garden. I sped down at high speed towards the path to our garden... and crashed into the corner of my house. I had skin peeling on my face and an awful lot of blood. Needless to say I was shaken.

But otherwise, I'm quite a safe person who doesn't get many injuries - ignoring bruises from karate when me and my brother end up going contact in sparring.

Edit: Oh, forgot the time I almost drowned. Backstory: The swimming pool where I lived had a shallow end which went up to my waist at the age of 6. So I thought naively that every swimming pool was like that.

So when we were on holiday in Cornwall, there was a swimming pool. I jumped in without my arm bands in the end they said was the deep end.

Screaming and blubbing I got dragged out of the water by some other people there. I'm surprised I'm not scared of water from that x).

Extra_Crispy
2010-07-20, 06:46 AM
Lets see, other than the usuall skinned knees and hands from playing as a kid I have had...
1: Barbed wire punctures to my left leg from going down a Large hill on my bike near my house and not being able to stop. Tried to slide to a stop sideways on the dirt and almost made it, only got a few punctures to the left leg as I slid into it.
2: Broken left little toe from when we were moving and my father dropped a fire extinguisher on it. I remember the toe nail flying through the air and no pain for about a min then it was very very bad.
3: Walking outside to feed my grandparents dogs, on vacation while I was visiting them, I passed to close to a water heater my grandfather was cutting up. I did not know I cut myself untill I was done feeding the dogs and walked back into the house. My right shin iched and when I reached down my finger sunk about halfway into my shin. About a 5 inch long 1 inch deep smooth cut in my leg. Did not get stiches my grandfather just used some bandages "butterfly tape". That scar is gone now, covered by a bigger one see later.
4: Playing little league baseball, I was outfield running for a fly ball when the 2nd baseman was running back for the same fly ball. I saw him just before we hit and tried to stop but slid and ended up hitting him. Problem was my head hit him in the left him and then I hit the ground and he landed on top of me. Next thing I remember I was surrounded by my team, my father, and the coaches, I had been out for a few min.
5: Last but not least the biggest one. Car accident in which I was ~70% burned with ~40% being 3rd degree. That 40% was from getting into an arch field for a 140000+ volts.

Lord Loss
2010-07-20, 07:16 AM
I have a talent for jumping off things. Quite recently, I leapt off a fence to get a soccer ball. A really easy jump. Except my shoe got stuck in the fence and there was a sidewalk at the bottom, so... six weeks in a cast, broken radius :smallfrown:.

Teddy
2010-07-20, 07:47 AM
5: Last but not least the biggest one. Car accident in which I was ~70% burned with ~40% being 3rd degree. That 40% was from getting into an arch field for a 140000+ volts.

What did you collide with to get 140 000+ volts in your body. That's enogh to create a lightning bolt which is almost one and a half metre long (1000 V for each centimetre to travel through open air, IIRC). :smalleek:

KuReshtin
2010-07-20, 09:07 AM
Every time one of these threadds are started, Extra Crispy wins it as soon as he posts about his car accident.

Extra_Crispy
2010-07-22, 12:40 AM
Sorry I am not trying to "win" the thread, just telling about my injuries. It is not my fault I have had one big event that messed up a lot of stuff. :smallwink:

Teddy when I hit the pole one power line fell and arched all around my car. The arch was so hot it turned the sand under my car to glass. Under the middle of the car where the the broken/shattered from fire glass could not get. And the fire was in the back of the car and though the fire burned the whole car I really dont think it could have got hot enough to turn sand to glass. The power line fed all of Vail, at the time a pretty small town with maybe 1000 people in it on the outskirts of Tucson. From reports the lines were arching a couple of feet before the power went off. So while I might not have had all of the 140K volts pass through me I got into the arch field and had multiple electrical entries and exits from it.

Which brings me to current injury. My right leg from the knee down to the ankle is 3rd degree burned and the skin is very fragile. The shin breaks open easily if I bump it and usually the resulting sore heals. I had one that was not healing. Also on the top of my ankle I have had a sore for way too long (read multiple years), never got infected but was just not healing. Tired of them I went to a plastic surgeon and had them regrafted. Really long story but it boils down to having a 6"x4" donor site on my right thigh and the 2 wounds grafted, and me on crutches for 3 weeks. Just got off the crutches July 2nd. They are healing MUCH better now and while it will take a while to be fully healed it looks like they will completely heal. :smallbiggrin:

About a week and a half ago I was cooking dinner and looked down and my dog was licking at the wound at my ankle. I can not feel much on that leg so I did not notice right away. Many times I had warned him and kept him away from the sores but the dog is very subborn. I decided to get after him a little more then just yelling at him no, to get him to stop trying. Well I grabbed him by the collar and got his nose close to the wounds and said no very loudly, and tapped him on the but. He chose this time to try to assert his dominance, he bared his teeth, growled deeply and wrapped his paws around the arm that was holding his collar. He also decided to go all floppy like a fish on the end of a fishing line. So after a few swats to the butt and yelling at him more he went limp and belly up so I stopped getting after him and I had scratches on both arms. One good one on the right wrist and one wavy line covering about half the length of my left forearm.

Serpentine
2010-07-22, 12:55 AM
Every time one of these threadds are started, Extra Crispy wins it as soon as he posts about his car accident.I know, it's not fair :smallfrown:
:tongue:

Sorry to hear it's still troubling you, Patchy-Butt :smallfrown: Sounds like your dog's either trying to heal you, or eat you.

leper0messiah
2010-07-22, 01:04 AM
I remember only 2 great injuries

the first one I got at a boyscouts pinewood derby deal. I was outside on the schools playground when one of the boys pushed me while I was on the monkey bars (which were wet and slippery due to rain) I feel and landed with my chest hitting my wrist. All I remember then was standing up and crawling away, the feeling in my stomach was weird...like I wanted to cry but couldnt, maybe it was shock. I forget how but I ended up in my dads truck and in the hospital. The pain wasn't great unless I tried to flex my wrist so I tried to not flex my wrist. It was broken. I got a glow in the dark cast:smallbiggrin:

the second was on my 2nd cousins motterbike, I was going around the house in circles until I ran into the basketball pole. Once again I only remember clips, ending up in the kitchen, then the hospital, I dont even remember the car ride.

I always wished I could hear it from my uncles phone. My mom said she was on the phone with him saying "yeah, Kyler's (me) going around the house on a motorbi-OH WAIT! Gotta go"

I assume you can tell where I crashed:smallamused:

Vaynor
2010-07-22, 02:15 AM
I think I broke my tailbone once. I was rather inebriated at the time. I was leaning against a door waiting for a friend, then slid down it. I didn't realise that at the bottom there was one of these being used as a door stop:

I've never broken my tailbone, but I bruised it once in a series of (apparently, and only to others) comical events. I used to have a go-kart, the kind you pedal, and it had two seats and an optional (attachable) third seat. Me and the neighborhood kids used to (I was about 10 at the time) take it down to the vacant lot a few houses down (developed now) which was on a hill and ride it down said hill. This is all well and good, but then it was my turn to sit in the back (third, optional) seat. The seat attached by inserting the peg at the bottom into a square hole on the back of the go-kart, then sliding a bar into a hole on the side of it to lock it.

You can probably see where this is going. We're getting near to the bottom of the incline (it wasn't a steep hill) and we hit a rock, at which point I realized I'd forgotten to lock the seat. I realized this because I was currently flying through the air sans go-kart. Apparently (I wasn't paying close attention through all the screaming) I flew straight up, then fell straight back down again, the peg at the bottom of the plastic seat jamming straight into the ground. When my friends got to me I was still sitting in the seat, which had hit the ground hard enough to still be stood upright.

Let's just say I didn't do much sitting for a while.

Gadora
2010-07-22, 04:34 AM
Word of advice: don't keep a cactus right next to your alarm clock.

KuReshtin
2010-07-22, 05:34 AM
Word of advice: don't keep a cactus right next to your alarm clock.

That actually made me LOL. I know I shouldn't, but that's just too funny.

kind of related link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fysSTCbnL_Y)

TheThan
2010-07-22, 02:48 PM
Story time!

I’ve been knocked unconscious only twice in my whole life. The first time I was in the fourth or fifth grade playing full contact tackle football (for you foreigners it’s kinda like rugby but not) with 8th graders. Yeah that didn’t end well. See I was rather big for my age, and well I though I could roll with the big kids.

The second time I was a teenager attending a church camp, and funnily enough has something vaguely to do with sports. At this particular camp, all the cabins were located along a steep grade that went up a hill, while the chapel sat a short ways off at the bottom of the grade. There was also this sand volleyball pit located at the bottom of the grade off to one side of the road. Well the second or so day of the camp, I was running late for chapel so I took off at a run down this grade.
Well I don’t particularly run fast, but I’m a big guy and I’m running down hill so I picked up a lot of momentum. I was in the very last cabin they had, so I had a bit of a run. Anyway I though it’d be a good idea to cut across the volleyball pit since nobody had strung up the net yet. Big mistake, some fool had, and I didn’t see the net in time to stop (more accurately I didn’t see the net at all). So I plow directly into this volleyball net. Whoever put that net up did a good job and it didn’t budge at all. So my feet go up, the rest of me goes down. I crash into the sand. To this day I have no idea how long I was unconscious for. My nose had been bleeding and was now dried up, my whole body hurt. So I struggled up and managed to limp my way to the nurse (who thankfully was on duty).

YPU
2010-07-22, 03:00 PM
Practically all my mayor injuries were to my face, tough most of them left only minor scars.

I think the two most interesting ones are one I got from having an infection under my eye, in one of those small spaces you have down there. it was so large my entire eye was swollen shut. During the week of hospital I got rather a lot of attention, as the type of infection apparently was so rare most text books listed it as something you wouldn't run into during a normal career. So getting this rare opportunity I got visits from many doctors who would only ogle my swollen eye, it was slightly disconcerting.

My largest scar is hidden away on the inside of my lip. I got it from the surgery I needed to remove over half a centimetre of unusual bone growth from my chin, I have a very thick boned face to begin with but this one was actually starting to show signs of growing out of my skin. I was in fact starting to grow a "horn". to fix this they apparently went trough my mouth and down to my chin with the medical equivalent of a power drill. To this day there is no explanation of why that bone was growing there, as it was no injury recovery growth as was expected.

All my other scars are simply from rough and tumble or stupid accidents I have a a total of 7 facial scars that took either stitches or glue to fix. I think I have a natural tendency to put that enhanced bone structure to use.

Mauve Shirt
2010-07-22, 05:19 PM
I pulled a muscle in my side lifting a heavy box today and now it hurts to breathe. Ow.

As far as less pathetic injuries... I got a concussion while skiing once, is that less pathetic?

Anuan
2010-07-22, 08:19 PM
I pulled a muscle in my side lifting a heavy box today and now it hurts to breathe. Ow.

As far as less pathetic injuries... I got a concussion while skiing once, is that less pathetic?

I hurt myself throwing up once, top that for pathetic. I'm not sure what happened exactly, I either pulled or tore a muscle in my side or damn-near cracked my rib, but I couldn't breath or stand properly for ages.

RandomNPC
2010-07-22, 09:04 PM
one for when I was about five, one from yesterday.

When I was five:
Not an injury as much as a bad feeling. I had me some nasty stomach flu, but didn't know it yet, as I had skipped breakfast. My mom was going to surprise my sister and I with chocolate milk to drink with lunch, but I found it in the fridge. I drank about a quart of it, between munching on the 6 pack of big hershey bars I found. When my mom figured out I was in the kitchen she came in, looked at me, and I said "I don't feel so..." *Vomit so hard chocolate came out my nose*

Yesterday:
I was at my mideval combat group, trying out a greatsword to see if I like the style, tried to use the foot and a half of handle between my hands to block, and cought the strike on the tip of my thumb, pushing it back. Hand on weapon doesn't count, so I took a step back, shook my hand, and got back in there, I thought it was a dislocation Till I looked at it later, I've fought with a dislocated figer before, no dislocation, just a sprained thumb.

Extra_Crispy
2010-07-23, 12:07 AM
I know, it's not fair :smallfrown:
:tongue:

Sorry to hear it's still troubling you, Patchy-Butt :smallfrown: Sounds like your dog's either trying to heal you, or eat you.

Thanks for the concern but it will probably trouble me the rest of my life. Eventually i will need releasives in areas, espically my neck, I already feel some tightness there. But Patchy-Butt?? Patchy-Butt?? I will have you know they did not take any skin from my butt and that area was not burned either. My butt is perfactly fine. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Plus I know my dog was trying to "heal" me but I dont want him to get sick or cause other problems with the sores. After days of telling him no, and pulling him away from the sores I was trying to make sure he would not do it again. He just got uppity.

Serpentine
2010-07-23, 12:16 AM
"Liar liar, everything except your pants is on fire"? :smalltongue:
I've heard something recently about changes to burn treatment... It used to be that you'd try to keep them dry, but now they want to keep them moist? Know anything about that?

SilentNight
2010-07-23, 12:43 AM
Falls and crashes I've got plenty, injuries not as much fortunately. Although at some point in the past 4 years I seem to have torn my labrum (the cartilidge that keeps your shoulder in) either through mountain biking or snowboarding. Not that bad short of partial dislocation every so often, but I'm getting surgery at the end of August.

Extra_Crispy
2010-07-23, 01:02 AM
I know a little. The thought was that a scab over a wound/burn would form a barrier and keep out infection thus stopping the biggest killer of burn patients-- infection and sepsis. It was found that cells trying to migrate and heal that area had to "burrow" under the scab and as the scab was removed it could tear healthy skin causing set backs.

With more wet dressings the thought was a wet wound allowed bacteria to grow easier and thus lead to infection. While it is true that a wet wound is better for bacteria to grow, many of the wet dressings are inpregnated with antibiotics and such. With the advent of better antibiotics, better dressings, and such specifically for the full thickness wound/deep burn wound it was found that wet dressings and a wet healing environment leads to quicker healing with less build up of scars.

In my own case, the wounds on my leg after they were grafted started to form scabs quickly. My doctor wanted me to use lotion all over the wound bed/scabs to keep them "wet" and supple. Everyday over the counter lotion. For some of the areas on the edges where the graft did not take well he had me put a triple antibiotic like neosporin. And I was only to cover them with dry bandages when I had to, like when I am at work and need to keep wounds covered. Otherwise I keep them moist with lotion and open to air, that is why my dog was able to lick at them.

Marillion
2010-07-24, 01:19 PM
I cut myself with a can of anchovies. :smallamused:

One of the servers had broken the poptab off of the can, and like most cans with poptabs, the lid was set so deeply in the can that a regular can opener couldn't reach it. Brilliant design. :smallmad: So, I quickly improvised a can opener with a paring knife and a hunk of frozen meat, cut it open enough to pull out some anchovies (blech) and gave the slimy salty things to the server, all without hurting myself. I then took the rest of the lid off...and cut myself on it.

But it's ok, because I got a hug from the server who broke it, and she has large, soft...eyes.:smallwink:

Odentin
2010-07-24, 05:17 PM
While doing some work on our decks, back when I lived in the mountains, I took a break and laid down on the deck railing. After a few minutes, I was ready to get back to work. I decided to roll off the railing and land on all fours, for no apparent reason. Well, the railing was a little shorter than I had thought, and I didn't make it all the way around, and my left arm took the full brunt of the fall.

Dislocated left shoulder: Not fun. It's never fully recovered...

I also have several burns from my own pyromania...

Bacon Barbarian
2010-07-24, 05:23 PM
I broke my arm playing King of the Hill waiting for the bus to come. A footbal player fell on my arm and it went crunch. I then stood up running around in circles screaming, "OH MY GOD YOU BROKE MY ARM!" repeatedly.

TFT
2010-07-24, 05:28 PM
I was a football lineman(Tight End, actually, but at my school they were basically the same thing) in football.

I didn't really get injured during the season, but there was a passing league tournament that my school went to.

I break a part of my hand there, not getting hit by another guy, but falling on it when trying to catch a ball.

Yea, irony is great.

TheThan
2010-07-24, 08:06 PM
I went paintballing one day with my group of friends. It was clear into the 100s without a cloud in the sky. I brought sunscreen for everyone, but I complexity to apply it.

Suffered a 2nd degree burn across the back of my neck. Still bare the scar from it.

Dada
2010-07-27, 08:52 PM
So I'm the guy who never really gets hurt. No dislocations, broken limbs, stitches or major scars or anything. Until 2 years ago. Warning: Wall of text.

Roskilde festival. A week of music, friends and ungodly amounts of booze. The festival starts with 4 days of warm-up where you just camp and party. Music plays for seven hours a day on a single small stage with up-and-coming scandinavian bands. This is followed by the four 'real' days of the festival, with insane amounts of performances and bands. Roskilde festival is one of the biggest music events in Europe. This was my fourth consecutive year in attendance.

It's the second day of the 'real' festival, or actually the third - I guess its past midnight. I'm with a group of friends, we're all pretty tipsy and dancing and jumping to the performance of 'Battles', I think, a band none of us knew. Suddenly my leg is hit by something and I collapse to the ground. No big deal, I just got knocked off balance..

Enter the pain. I look down and my leg looks pretty wierd.. Oh my god. A. Kneecap. Should. Not. Go. There. It has been knocked off my knee, and sits on the side of my leg. Actually, this hurts less than I would expect, I tell myself. A friend offers a hand to help me get up. I shake my head, point to my leg. He doesn't understand. I take his hand and place on my knee, then on my kneecap. Even in the dim light I can see him go a bit paler. Then things starts moving fast and I don't remember many details.

I move my leg a bit, and the kneecap jumps back in position. Phew. I try to get up with the help of my friend, to limp out of the crowd. No dice, my leg won't support me, and the kneecap dislocates to the side of the leg again. Oh crap. I somehow get it back in place again though. My friendgets the attention of a crow security worker, and they manage to carry me away.

The trip to the hospital is interesting, to say. Along with a handful of other people, I am placed in a minibus and driven to the hospital. Getting in and out of the minibus isn't easy, and the knee dis- and relocates several times before I finally arrive in the waiting room. A doctor examines me. Actually, he's not a doctor, he's a medical student who's in a training program. He doesn't seem overly concerned, and after a cursory glance, the doctor in charge of overseeing agrees that nothing serious is wrong. He has to get on with the examination of his own patient, and its 4 am. I am told that I can go back to the festival and just have to give my leg a bit of rest. I explain that the leg can't support me at all. I am told, in kinder words, that I am a wuss and should just bite the bullet. I should have insisted that the doctor examined my leg, but hindsight and all that jazz. Instead I call my mother and she takes me to their house. The kneecap dislocates just from trying to bend the knee, I discover rather unpleasantly.

The next day, we decide to go to another hospital, the one closest to my parents to get a second opinion. Different hospital, same medical student. *sigh*. He is not pleased, but we keep insisting that the doctor should do a complete examination, and we end up getting it our way. Some x-rays are taken, and I get a nice Donjoy which I have to wear for 4 weeks where it will be keeping my leg straigthened out, then another 4 where I can bend it up to 40 degrees.

After these 8 weeks have passed, the knee should have healed. Except it didn't. Two days after I stop wearing the Donjoy, the kneecap dislocates again. I was still living at my parents back then, but obviously I am home alone. When my parents get home, we see my local GP, but we can't get an appointment for another real examination for a month. Oh well.

I experience two other dislocations before the examination, where they decide that I need to get surgery. I have to wait a couple of months for that though, so another Donjoy for me. They ruin my sleep, but at least they keep the kneecap in place. The accident was in early July 2008. I get my surgery in december 2008. After that it's training, which I could rant long about, but this is getting *very* long. Sufficient to say that a leg which haven't been used for half a year is very tough and very painfull to retrain. I am officially finished by the end of April 2009. It's not as good as new but it seems to work. I go to Roskilde again in 2009 and enjoy myself.

End of July 2009 it dislocates again. *sigh*. I have to wait for appointment to examination, then surgery, which I get in late November 2009. I finished the training program in February 2010, but I still have to work out often to strengthen the leg. So far it has been working, and it survived this years Roskilde too (which was awesome btw). I can run and jump somewhat, but I can't sit on my knees or kneel. I just hope the surgery lasts this time.

Oh, and sorry for being so long-winded.

Serpentine
2010-07-27, 10:14 PM
Ooo, nasty. Do you know what caused it?

blackfox
2010-07-27, 10:26 PM
*snip*Yikes... knee dislocations suck. Sounds like you really did a number on it, especially if it was going in and out of position. From everything I've heard dislocations are more painful than actual fractures, and I've only experienced the latter.

Dada
2010-07-28, 06:06 AM
@Serpentine: Yeah, it was probably kicked out of position while the leg was supporting me. Even worse, I am quite sure that it must have been one of my friends who accidentally kicked me. I'm just glad I don't know who did it, and I hope the person doesn't know either. *shrug* I don't want to blame anyone for it.

@Blackfox: Actually I think I was really lucky. I didn't do any real damage to my knee except for the parts responsible for keeping the kneecap in place. The kick and the dislocations and falls could have smashed a lot of other stuff if I had been less lucky. But yeah, it does suck.

I might need to look up some medical terms to explain this in english..

James T. Kirk
2010-07-28, 04:45 PM
I bought a box of cutlery recently and sliced my finger open taking one of the knives out.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-28, 11:00 PM
Ok, I've had some crazy injuries.

Major ones include:
10 concussions (2 major (as in knocked completely out) and 8 minor)
broken nose from soccer
My right knee has been skinned down to the bone three times
I've jammed every finger at least once
Stress fracture in my left tibia from Cross Country
hole in my forhead from hitting a fireplace.

The one that really bothers me is my left wrist though. I've never done anything major to it, but I've sprained it several times. Now, every so often all the little bones get out of place, and it hurts for days before everything pops back into place. It happens about 2, 3 times a year.

Serpentine
2010-07-28, 11:20 PM
My ex used his finger to open a pocket knife... I think they ended up buying it at that point.

Dada
2010-07-29, 04:21 AM
That sounds... icky

ForzaFiori
2010-07-29, 10:51 PM
My ex used his finger to open a pocket knife... I think they ended up buying it at that point.

how are u supposed to open it? I dont know about other places, but around here, most people use their hands to open pocket knives, cause switchblades and push-button blades are illegal.

Cealocanth
2010-07-29, 10:55 PM
Last night I slammed my funny bone on the chair so hard it felt like I had fire under my skin! Although in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty minor injury, it still hurt like @#$!. There wasn't anything funny about it.

Diva De
2010-07-29, 11:25 PM
Just got back from the hospital. Good news - ankle isn't broken!

So how I got hurt was...I turned on my light switch yesterday and...nothing happened. Flicked it a few more times to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Still nothing. So I climbed up onto the end of my bed to pull the chain and...my sneaky little 3-year-old ninja-in-training sneaks in and touches the back of my leg. I freak...fall...and in an attempt NOT to crush my child, land rather awkwardly on one foot. There is a twist, a loud pop, and all strength goes out of my ankle. I collapse...and the agony begins.

Turns out it's a bad sprain. An air splint, a few days of extra-light duty, and the usual RICE regimen (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation), and I should start to feel better. Depending on the severity of it, couple of weeks to a month and I should be good as new.

Serpentine
2010-07-29, 11:32 PM
I nearly made my mother fall down the stairs, once <.< I hid underneath and touched her foot through the stairs. Scared the bajeebus out of her.
how are u supposed to open it? I dont know about other places, but around here, most people use their hands to open pocket knives, cause switchblades and push-button blades are illegal.As in, got it open a little bit the way you're meant to, then pushed on the sharp side of the blade to open it the rest of the way.

Marillion
2010-07-29, 11:57 PM
As in, got it open a little bit the way you're meant to, then pushed on the sharp side of the blade to open it the rest of the way.
Not very bright, was he? :smalltongue:

I once dropped a knife at work, and by reflex went to catch it. In slow-mo, I could see the point of the knife bearing down on my open palm before I thought to myself "This is a really BAD idea" and snatched it away.

And yesterday, I leaned back on my already broken computer chair. I knew it was broken, but not HOW broken; The back of the chair fell completely off and I went with it, smacking my head on my dining table. It hurt...But it sure was funny to everyone else in the room.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-29, 11:57 PM
As in, got it open a little bit the way you're meant to, then pushed on the sharp side of the blade to open it the rest of the way.

Oh, ok. That was confusing me for a little bit there.

I bet now every knife in that store has a sticker that says "Do not push on sharp edge" because of that.

Diva De
2010-07-30, 03:39 AM
I nearly made my mother fall down the stairs, once <.< I hid underneath and touched her foot through the stairs. Scared the bajeebus out of her.

Once when I was a teenager and my mom and I had a fight and I was moving out (yeah, happened more than once), I packed a big duffel bag full of books and clothes and my school stuff. From upstairs on the second floor, I peeked over the railing ti make sure the entry was clear. Because it was heavy and I didn't wanna carry it, ya see? So, coast clear, I yell, "Look out below!" and lob it over the railing. I look over in time to see my mother WALK INTO the space I just told everyone to keep clear.

*cue slow-mo*

Yeah, bag hit her on the head and fell to the floor. Mom spun around like a cartoon character. Arms flung out, eyes rolled back, head tilted just so. (I'd find a visual reference but too lazy atm.) Anyway, she does a 360...and crumples to the floor. Out cold.

Once I checked to make sure she was alive and breathing, I slunk out the door rather quietly. I mean, I was already moving out - did I really need her yelling at me first when she came to?!

Teddy
2010-07-30, 11:32 AM
I sprained my ankle while chasing my cousines two days ago. It wasn't especially serious, but it still hurts a little when I'm walking, and stairs aren't fun at all (especially since I'm always taking them two steps at a time, even when common sense says that I shouldn't). I'll also refrain from driving lessons before it's fully healed, because physical pain every time you hit a pedal won't help at all when your mind is fully preoccupied with not causing a motor failure.