PDA

View Full Version : races with +wis

RipperOfShirts
2010-07-08, 11:42 AM
What it says in the tin really. A -cha (since u have to take a hit to something) and no la or racial hit dice would be nice as well. Any help?

Ferrin
2010-07-08, 11:46 AM
Lesser Aasimar from Player's Guide to Faerun(I think) have a +2 Cha and +2 Wis for no LA.

Buoman from the Planar Handbook have +2 Wis and -2 Cha and are less cheesy, you take a vow to never speak though.

The cheesiest I can think of are some of the Anthromorphic creatures from Savage Species.

Rannil
2010-07-08, 11:48 AM
Anthropomorphic bat? or any of the others. (Lizard, Monkey, Rat, Raven, Toad or Weasel
Savage Species ftw.

And otherwise
Buomman planar handbook pg.08
Jermlaine monster manual 2 pg.131
Lesser Aasimar player’s guide to faerun pg.191

Edit: Semi swordsaged.
BTW check out Master Player Race List (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0?post_id=332168 970#332168970) although I got all the +wisdom races.

RipperOfShirts
2010-07-08, 11:58 AM
Thanks muchly, may look at Buomman, they look interesting

PId6
2010-07-08, 12:08 PM
Thanks muchly, may look at Buomman, they look interesting
Just remember that they can't talk, so they may be problematic at lower levels when you don't have Telepathy. If you're casting spells, there's also the feat tax of Nonverbal Spell.

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 12:14 PM
Which is why I make all my Buomman into Ardents :smalltongue:

(Or Psywars)

Faleldir
2010-07-08, 12:25 PM
Don't forget the Tortle from Dragon Magazine 315. It makes a good Swordsage.

RipperOfShirts
2010-07-08, 12:25 PM
Which is why I make all my Buomman into Ardents :smalltongue:

(Or Psywars)

Yeah, heading psywarrior myself

EvilJoe15
2010-07-08, 12:28 PM
That no talking thing goes away if you make a Dragonborn out of them.

2xMachina
2010-07-08, 01:12 PM
Yes, abuse the dragonborn template.

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 01:51 PM
Yeah, heading psywarrior myself

Dip Monk 2 (favored class for Buommans), then pick up the Tashalatora feat. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070212a&page=5) Now you will have the fist dice, flurry and AC of a monk 20.

If you have Complete Psionic, be an Ardent instead of a Psywar - you can get all the powers they have and more (plus some truly sick granted abilities), and fighting with your fists means the lack of MWP won't be an issue.

Amphetryon
2010-07-08, 01:57 PM
Remember to do your best Wookie impression. :smallbiggrin:

Faleldir
2010-07-08, 02:03 PM
you can get all the powers they have and more
I thought they couldn't get Claws Of The Beast without a feat.

2xMachina
2010-07-08, 02:06 PM
Natural power doesn't have it?

You can ask your DM to fit it in. 10 powers per mantle according to theme.

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 02:14 PM
I thought they couldn't get Claws Of The Beast without a feat.

As a Psywar you can't get Metamorphosis without a feat anyway, so it's a wash.

Furthermore, 2x Machina is right - Ardents can swap powers out of mantles, and there are a couple of themes that could fit Claws of the Beast (e.g. Natural World and Physical Power.)

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-08, 03:52 PM
IIRC, all were-creatures get +2 wis.

okpokalypse
2010-07-08, 04:11 PM
Q for the PsyWarr / Ardent experts...

If one were to go Psy Warrior 4 and take Practiced Manifester at 3rd Level and then went Ardent 1 at L5 and Ardent 2 at L6, would they be able to take a 3rd Level Power w/ Ardent 2?

I know the 1st Level of Ardent is RAW set to force you to take 2 1st Level Powers, however, "At each additional level" it's based on taking "one new power from her available mantles" and that "she must be able to manifest the power at the level at which she learns it"

So, a PW 4 / Ardent 2 w/ Practiced Manifester is effectively ML 6 = Power Level 3.

Through those first 4 levels the PW aspect of the PC can take Inertial Armor*, Expansion*, Force Screen and Damp Power - as well as getting two bonus feats - then the Mantles come into player afterward, and Practiced Manifester puts the character right back on course for getting PL9 powers at L17.

By this vein of thought, you take Freedom (for Dim Hop & +10' Move) and Conflict (free Weapon Focus & Offensive Prescience) Mantles, then get Pain & Suffering (Empathic Transfer, Hostile), Time (+Init, Anticipatory Strike, Temporal Accelleration), Life (Mend Wounds FTW) and Fate (Reroll!) Mantles.

You burn two feats to get Metamorphosis (L9) & Metamorphic Transfer (L6) and you get a TON more PSP than the Psy Warr has w/o losing any BAB. You can also get Dimension Door at L12 (via Feat) which will allow you to do the Hustle / Dim Door as a single Swift Action making you the ultimate Caster Killer since you never need to close ground :smallsmile:.

2xMachina
2010-07-08, 04:16 PM
The lvl 1 power isn't bad. (For the augmentable ones). Inertia Armor and Force Screen scales. (Force though)

Try to get the mantle power change ACF.

Some good ones are Inconstant Location. Lvl 6, but manifest once, swift move teleport every round for 1 minute. Better than Dim Door.

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 04:48 PM
Okpok: You are correct in that Ardents have the ability to circumvent the normal power/spell progression. Other casting classes have to learn their powers in sequence, but Ardent progression is linked to manifester level, allowing them to jump around between levels as long as their ML is high enough.

Having said that, your trick has one flaw: Practiced Manifester has to be applied to a class you possess when selected. If you don't have Ardent levels when you take it, you cannot apply it to the Ardent. You should therefore take it at 6 (Psywar 4/Ardent 2), not at level 3 when you only have Psywar levels.