PDA

View Full Version : Superhero Costume Generators?

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-08, 01:16 PM
I think this is the right thread for this...

Are there any good costume generators for superheroes, where you build the costume yourself, free and on the internet? At the moment I'm using HeroMachine, but I'm not too fond of it.

Domochevsky
2010-07-08, 02:41 PM
...get a trial of City of Heroes? >_>

(I don't think there's anything other than HeroMachine 2.5 to do this.)

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-08, 02:42 PM
...get a trial of City of Heroes? >_>

(I don't think there's anything other than HeroMachine 2.5 to do this.)

Ah ok, HeroMachine it is :smallsmile:

Cealocanth
2010-07-08, 02:48 PM
City of Heroes is really the place to do it. If you scour the internet you may find a version with just the character creator.

That's all I can give you, sorry.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-08, 02:49 PM
S'alright, I think I'm just gonna keep using HeroMachine :smallsmile:

[/thread]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-08, 11:21 PM
I was gonna suggest City of Heroes, but I'll have to try this HeroMachine 2.5 thing.

HeroMachine
2010-07-09, 06:23 PM
Actually there's a new version of HeroMachine, albeit it's still in "rough" alpha stage, HeroMachine 3 (http://www.heromachine.com/heromachine-3-lab/). It's got WAY more versatility (and better art) than HM2. And I say that as the guy who drew all the art in both versions.

It's not as easy to use, mostly because I haven't done any of the UI work yet, as I've been drawing items mostly, but once you get used to it you can create some really nice designs (he said humbly). You can see some of the variety of possibilities in the character design contest winner posts (http://www.heromachine.com/category/contests/contest-winners/).

Jeff Hebert
HeroMachine creator

Domochevsky
2010-07-09, 07:59 PM
Do you go around the 'net searching for threads the word "HeroMachine" is used in? :smallwink:

That being said, the 3.beta version doesn't work for me. There's nothing showing up in the boxes. :|

HeroMachine
2010-07-11, 06:16 PM
I have a GoogleAlert I set up years and years ago that sends an email once a day with anything having "HeroMachine" in it. It's an easy way to know if anything comes up. For instance, it let me know when the author of "Kavalier and Klay" mentioned in a NY Times article that his kids use it, which was kind of neat!

Anyway, about the only thing that would cause blank boxes is either not having the latest Flash Plugin, or that you're running a Flash blocker -- I use AdBlocker for Firefox personally, which prevents any Flash stuff from running in the browser window unless you specifically allow it.

Domochevsky
2010-07-11, 08:56 PM
Yeah, i use a Flash blocker, but even after allowing it for the site specifically it did nothing. (I could select categories, but it wouldn't actually load anything.)