PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder and D&D 3.5

JeenLeen
2010-07-08, 03:14 PM
I have heard of Pathfinder and read some of the online open-content material about it. I see that it has some different class options than D&D 3.5.

Could you tell me what the major differences are? Is it just D&D 3.5 with a slightly different mechanics or options?

Does it have a different setting?

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 03:18 PM
Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7607321) :smallsmile:

This was taken from the sticky at the top of the forum - there are many other gems in there worth reading.

(Hence, it being stickied and all :smallwink:)

JohnnyCancer
2010-07-08, 03:19 PM
The base classes have some different features, Concentration is no longer a skill, spells and monsters have been reworked, and there are various mechanics changes.

Endarire
2010-07-08, 03:26 PM
Pathfinder changes many things, some for the better. I prefer their skill system, but the other changes in general aren't how I would have handled things.

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 03:32 PM
Pathfinder changes many things, some for the better. I prefer their skill system, but the other changes in general aren't how I would have handled things.

The sorcerer and paladin changes are definitely what I would have done, or are at least a big step in the right direction.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-08, 03:37 PM
They also have their own setting, Golarion, where one person became a god by accident after a heavy drinking night(he's the god of drinking, luck and some other things, along with his dog), the first human civilization only prospered because they were actually backed by psychic sharks, and Gnomes are hated by the universe itself, under constant threat of turning into Michael Jackson.

Also, don't mess with Shalelu.

Hurlbut
2010-07-08, 06:05 PM
You forgot to mention that said psychic sharks brought a [insert obligatory Samuel L. Jackson remark here] Asteroid on top of the first human empire after those humans turned on the "overlords" (being the said psychic sharks).

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-08, 06:11 PM
**** yes! The setting was the best thing that PF ever did (apart from paladins)

Hurlbut
2010-07-08, 06:18 PM
Oooh! In one land there's wreckages of an alleged spelljammer (it wasn't explicitly stated as such, simply a great ship or starship that fell from the Sky) all over the countryside and the largest piece has a capital on top of it.

Hague
2010-07-08, 06:57 PM
Hell! And I thought my magic-psionic Cold War apocalypse setting was a little convoluted :P