PDA

View Full Version : What would Pokemon be like in the Forgotten Realms? (4e)

Blacklight
2010-07-08, 04:20 PM
Hello all! I am Blacklight, an often silent, lurking little comic reader that hasn't done much on the boards thus far. I plan to change that today, however!

I had been thinking recently about putting Pokemon creatures (and possibly also items and abilities) into the Forgotten Realms world—but with a twist. Rather than have these creatures (items/abilities) think and act in the way they would in say, Johto or Shinnoh, I wanted them to work as though they had already been a naturally occurring part of Faerun, complete with their own names, background info, and legends.

The problem I have with this endeavor is the fact that I have never made ANYTHING for Dungeons and Dragons at all, ever. I do enjoy fantasy, I have played the game before (briefly, but I enjoyed every minute of it and hope to play again if the opportunity arises), but my forte seems to be coming up with ideas and writing. I haven't found many resources for learning how to make 4e anythings (and if I need to buy anything to learn how, I haven't the money to do it either). So I thought I would bring this to you all.

Now, this is a teensy bit bigger than what I believe I should put into the Request a Homebrew thread as there are nearly 500 Pokemon. I have seen that there are a few people on the forums who have Pokemon avatars, and if that is any indication that people here like Pokemon and would take interest in this before I scrap it for good, I feel I should at least give it a shot. If there IS an interest in making Pokemon fit enough for your campaigns that the local NPC can spout stories about their greatest heroes killing (or their nightmares coming from) them, then please do let me know.

Personally, since I have no idea how to make my own 4e things, I would feel very open to someone/several people showing me how it's done, or (if you're really into this) just writing something up on your own and posting it here for PEACHing (by the other people who know how to do this. Not me. >>) to add to the collective list of interesting things this thread may make. You will of course get full credit for your thought babies.

Besides that, I feel like I could do pretty good with coming up with the general information, habitat, life cycle, physical characteristics, adventure hooks and all those other good happy written thingies until I learn better how to make statistical adjustments.

So that's about it... Save for a rather small taste of what's going on in my head. These next critters will be based off of what I'm thinking about for the (horribly renamed) Bulbasaur evolution line:

(Bulbasaur) Lesser Trap Plant: Minion
Native to the (whateversoundsgoodforyourgame) rain forests, these tiny, frog-like creatures are the offspring of adult Trap Plants. They are small, barely the size of a human hand, and with a greenish-blue hide covered in different shaped markings depending on the region they are from. Lesser Trap Plants hunt insects for food by using vines that sprout from their body to feed the massive parasitic bulbs on their backs, and they usually only become a threat to humanoids when one enters the seedling grounds...
Tactics:
Lesser Trap Plants are too small to do much damage on their own, but in groups they will swarm opponents. Like their elders, Lesser Trap Plants eventually develop an urge to collect shiny objects, which means that the creature with the most obvious shimmery items will be swarmed first. Lesser Trap Plants lash out with their vines and whip at opponents, and, if old enough, will attempt to use poisonous gases to bring attackers down. If too many of their number are injured, Lesser Trap Plants will fall back or cry out for the adults.
Lore: A character knows the following information with a successful Nature check.
DC15: Lesser Trap Plants are often found in rain forests, taking refuge and blending into the foliage of their hatching grounds. Though frog-like, Trap Plants do not begin life as tadpoles, and prefer to be surrounded by greenery rather than water after hatching from seed-like eggs (though a few species have been known to inhabit swamps).
DC20: Lesser Trap Plants are half animal, half plant, and the mobile animal section of this creature must feed the immobile plant section in order to survive. As the creature grows, it seeks larger prey, but the roots of the plan embedded in its back grow deeper into the muscles and begin to restrict movement slightly. Once big enough, Lesser Trap Plants guard their hatching grounds on the outskirts of the adult territory, and only migrate into the center of the region when large enough to breed. They have no intelligent language, but speak through chirping calls.
DC25: Lesser Trap Plants can create poisonous spores, and though they have functioning mouths they rarely bite. Eventually, they grow an odd attraction to shiny objects and try to collect anything that glitters into a tiny horde—making humans who enjoy glittery gold a target if they ever cross paths with a mob of Lesser Trap Plants.

...And that's about it. If you get excited about getting creative, then you can see that there are several options one can take from this point. What do Trap Plants do? Would Venasaurs be Greater Trap Plants, or should they be a rare strain of Trap Plants that bloom? Do these creatures eventually get control over the plants, or do the plants eventually control them? Will older Trap Plants horde shiny treasures, or use them to lure in victims? Do we really have to stick to three monsters (One per Pokemon in the evolution path) or can we branch out and make little swampy lines of Trap Plants? (Will I ever come up with a name better than Trap Plant?)

I have several other ideas hidden away in my head that I'm sure I'll eventually put up here if there's enough interest. If anyone has ANY kind of suggestion for me (even if it's a polite “give up while you're ahead, no one cares”) please let me know. This idea may not be novel... But I feel like with enough effort, it could be.

So what do you think?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-08, 06:29 PM
I'm sure it would be possible to have D&D monsters based on Pokemon in the Forgotten Realms. I can't help you much with stats and fluff right now since the last time I PLAYED Pokemon I was probably around 8 years old, but if you give me more info I'd be happy to help.

Blacklight
2010-07-08, 06:51 PM
Hm... Well, I'd actually thought about just making the stats up from scratch, personally. I wanted to use Pokemon as a base, but kind of let my mind go wild from there, so like the speed and HP of the Pokemon (In the Pokemon universe) didn't have to necessarily be the same amount of HP or movement as in the Forgotten Realms universe.

So what kind of info did you mean then? Just... the creatures, or the actual state from the games? If you want the latter (or actually both) a great place is Serebii. It has a Pokedex kind of thing, where you can pick whatever pokemon you want from the drop box or by their elemental type. It has their picture, abilities, personalities, stats and attacks. Here is the link to the most recent Dex (everything from Red and Blue to Diamond and Pearl):

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/

Hope that helps! If not, just keep asking. I'm sure I'll figure out what you want XD

erikun
2010-07-08, 07:42 PM
I think there is a fairly large project around here for converting the pokemon system into 3.5e. They decided to treat the pokemon as monsters, which means you could take their D&D statblocks and use them directly.

Assuming you wanted 3.5e. And assuming you don't mind Squirtle spitting water as an attack.

As for doing it yourself in 4e, the first place to start would be determining how strong each pokemon is "supposed" to be. My lv.100 Sandshrew is a lot stronger than Misty's lv.40 Starmie, but not as good as a lv.100 Starmie. Common pokemon (Pidgey, Ratatta) will obviously be low level and Legendary pokemon (Lugia) will obviously be high level, but there is a lot of variation between the two.

There is also the question of how realistic you want them to be. If you want them to behave basically like animals, then a Pidgey is a bird, a Ratatta is a rat, a Squirtle is a turtle, etc. If you want them to act like pokemon, then you have some weird situations like a human-sized walking turtle that shoots water strong enough to knock down walls, or something like Mr. Mime.

Blacklight
2010-07-08, 08:58 PM
There's a 3.5 thread for this? :smallfrown: I thought I'd looked through all the threads. Shame I missed it!

The way I'd had this planned out was a little different though. I wasn't going for "converting the Pokemon System into a DnD game," but rather a "Taking the Creatures of Pokemon and turning them into legitimate Faerun creatures." I guess I essentially mean that... You'd find Zubat and Golbat in the Underdark right alongside a displacer beast, and occasionally uncover a Weezing in the Dwarven mountians when the dwarves broke into a new cavern. I wanted to change them a bit to actually be creatures normal Faerunians would see alongside other normal monsters. No pokeballs or things like that--they'd just be critters you'd kill like you would any other creature attacking you.

Unless that's what you meant...?

I'd also thought about Ratatta and Pidgey too. Pokemon like that, when transferred over to a more realistic fantasy setting would pretty much just make them rats and pidgeons. Unless we could think of something spectacular for them... Maybe Ratatta is a lock jaw rat? Dunno. Those to me are easily scrapped though.

Things like squirtle are easier though--there are funky monsters in DnD all the time. Minotaurs and such. I think I could deal with a humanoid monster turtle spitting powerful water jets at people. :smallamused:

As for levels... I'd think with scrapping the Pokemon system altogether, we wouldn't deal with the 1-100 Pokemon levels, but rather DnD system levels, to make them true DnD monsters.

I hope I've explained myself a little better now? Maybe I should have started with a smaller group of monsters, like Monster Hunter ones. >>

erikun
2010-07-08, 09:34 PM
Found the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135562&highlight=pokemon), and more importantly, found the pokedex (http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/). It looks like it is pretty imcomplete, but it should get you started (or give you some ideas to start with).

[EDIT]
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155645&highlight=pokemon) has a few more D&D Pokemon links in it, as well.

Blacklight
2010-07-09, 06:35 AM
I have clicked the links, and I have <3'd. Thank you for finding them!

Pray tell, is there some kind of search button that I'm missing? I've just been searching through the threads manually because I never saw one. >>

Alright, so... I will nervously attempt to give my little Bulbasaur/Trap plant thing stats. I must run to my German class in a couple of hours, but I'll attempt whatever I can. I know I need some kind of Template to put it all on? I've seen several threads using things such as that. Um... Am I also allowed to just... Make up moves? That's what has slowed me down a lot, honestly. I didn't know if it was alright or not, if there was something already similar to it out there.

Morph Bark
2010-07-09, 06:40 AM
Actually, the Pokémon lore has it that Pokémon are magical creatures that people once learned to tame and seal inside acorns (or whatever Kurt used?) and later Pokéballs, which is where they got their name from.

Humans are the only naturally occurring creatures in the Pokémon world it seems.

At any rate, with this, anything in DnD could be made into a Pokémon, as long as you can literally put that monster into your pocket.

erikun
2010-07-09, 11:26 AM
Pray tell, is there some kind of search button that I'm missing? I've just been searching through the threads manually because I never saw one. >>
It only appears once you have signed on. It's directly under where you sign in:

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

For best results, click on Advanced Search and you can choose which forum to search it. It is much better than getting results for media discussion or the PbP games when you're just looking for a homebrew.

As for the template, you'll want to stat them in a similar way as D&D monsters. There are one or two threads that have the format in BBCode, although if you don't know where they are, you are probably better off just copying down a monster stat block and deleting all the stats to make one yourself.

Making up moves? Well it's your game, so I see no reason why not. After all, unless the pokemon are shouting the names of their attacks every time, it will be difficult to tell the difference between Vine Whip, or Petal Storm, or Tree Limb Ensnare. It would probably be best to use the pokemon's moves as a base to start, but if you want the monster to do something that the pokemon doesn't have a move for, nobody will penalize you for doing so.

Frozen_Feet
2010-07-09, 11:41 AM
Won't help you a damn with actual mechanics, but might give you a few ideas of how to approach different elements of Pokemon in comparison to D&D: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152973

Blacklight
2010-07-09, 12:36 PM
It only appears once you have signed on. It's directly under where you sign in:

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Aha! I was looking for an actual box to insert text into. I never expected it to be a link or drop down. Thank you very much! :smallbiggrin:

Goodness gracious, I have a bunch of stuff to work on now. O.o I need to bring a note book with me on my camping trip.

As for moves, I think using their own moves as a base is a fairly good idea, but I may branch out from there. I want people to think "What an interesting monster!" rather than "What an interesting Pokemon knockoff!" when they see these guys.

...I also have very many links to look at now. xp Thank you all for your zealous support of this. I feel a little bit better now about it (though still a bit timid with making something). Hopefully I'll actually have something interesting to show you all when I get back from the trip!

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-10, 01:16 PM
Honestly, just following the Rules in the DMG (and the DMG2 if you can get yer hands on it) for basic monster creation should do fine. And remember, don't just look to the pokemon - look to monsters from the MMs as well, and see what sort of stuff monsters of each role should be capable of.

Blacklight
2010-07-11, 03:49 PM
Hi again guys! Back from camping, during which I didn't get much done (it's surprising how much time you can spend staring at a camp fire).

Now that I'm back however, I've taken Shadow Elf's advice and checked out the DM's Guide, and the DM's Guide 2. I am honestly not sure why I didn't attempt this first.

I've also found (much to my glee) Asmor.com, which has a fantastic array of things for me to fiddle with to figure out what's going on. I have a much better understanding of what I need to do to make the critters I want (though it could be a little better) but I have to admit, I'm feeling a little nervous. I'm attempting to make a 4e version of my Bulbasaur (or Lesser Viney Trap Plant. I'm thinking of making a swampy version too) and using Asmor's monster maker makes it simpler... But I'm worried I'll post up something silly and obviously incorrect to everyone who's been doing this for a while.

So though I've gotten an idea down and settled, I haven't quite gotten anything written down... Though feeling suddenly ill isn't helping much either. As soon as I can think a little straighter, I'm going to try and post something for everyone to look as (and very probably PEACH). Hopefully it will be... Entertaining?

Andion Isurand
2010-07-15, 02:51 PM
Perhaps you could first write up a Pokeball as a magical item so you could trap and enslave other monsters.