PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a 5th Level Bard

Rasman
2010-07-08, 05:16 PM
I know, ironic...but I'm a "must do what I do awesomely" ho...must be the perfectionist in me...

This is going to technically be my first 3.5 character, I've only ever played Pathfinder up until now, so I'm having to sort of reverse engineer myself with this. The hardest part about this is that I'm limited to ONLY core material, the only exception to this might be that I get the Half-Elf Bard Sub Levels from Races of Destiny, if not then I'll probably go straight Human or Elf. (I'm a little wishywashy since PF Humans are OP beyond reason.) My "conundrum" is that there is so little to go off of in regards to social feats and I'll basically be playing the party face/secret agent man. Being combat efficient isn't really an issue since the people already playing are good at breaking things already.

Basically what I'm looking for is suggestions on CORE ONLY feats and possibly equipment and weapon loadouts.

Prodan
2010-07-08, 05:23 PM
Go for Archery feats.

Keld Denar
2010-07-08, 05:25 PM
Good luck with a core only bard. IC without boosts is too weak to be actually worth anything. That leaves spellcasting as your strongest feature. Get Glitterdust, Grease, and Tasha's.

Thats about all I got.

CirclesAllOver
2010-07-08, 05:27 PM
Glibness would be a good spell if you plan on using Bluff regularly.

Rasman
2010-07-08, 06:15 PM
Good luck with a core only bard. IC without boosts is too weak to be actually worth anything. That leaves spellcasting as your strongest feature. Get Glitterdust, Grease, and Tasha's.

Thats about all I got.

...yeah...I know...I don't like it very much either, but I wasn't really feeling Sorcerery for this campaign and I was pretty much asked to play it. And the IC issue is why I'm trying for the Half-Elf Bard Subs because I can take uses of Bardic Music and basically turn them into Calm Emotions in place of Countersong which is situational at best

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-08, 06:47 PM
Bards get a LOT of love outside Core. They're not quite as good in it, however.

As mentioned, perhaps focus on your bardic casting and your skills, as bards make for kickass party faces, but (again, in Core) not too much else.

Ask your DM if he'll stretch Core to include the Complete books, and maybe the Magic Item Compendium. It'll help the weaker classes a lot more than the stronger ones, I'll tell you that. Just avoid Persistent Spell and metamagic reducers, and your group should do alright.

Flickerdart
2010-07-08, 07:02 PM
...yeah...I know...I don't like it very much either, but I wasn't really feeling Sorcerery for this campaign and I was pretty much asked to play it. And the IC issue is why I'm trying for the Half-Elf Bard Subs because I can take uses of Bardic Music and basically turn them into Calm Emotions in place of Countersong which is situational at best
Half-Elf Bard subs aren't Core, though.

Rasman
2010-07-08, 07:09 PM
Half-Elf Bard subs aren't Core, though.

...I know, I didn't say they were, thus the word "trying" as in "going to see if he'll let me have it" since the DM is considering expanding some book selection and he allows classes out of other books, just not feats.

Bards get a LOT of love outside Core. They're not quite as good in it, however.

As mentioned, perhaps focus on your bardic casting and your skills, as bards make for kickass party faces, but (again, in Core) not too much else.

Ask your DM if he'll stretch Core to include the Complete books, and maybe the Magic Item Compendium. It'll help the weaker classes a lot more than the stronger ones, I'll tell you that. Just avoid Persistent Spell and metamagic reducers, and your group should do alright.

I know bards aren't awesome summoners, but would you think Spell Focus (Conjuration) and Augment Summoning would be acceptable. I'm really stretching it at this point, but other than getting something out of other books, I'm still kinda stumped

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-08, 07:31 PM
I know bards aren't awesome summoners, but would you think Spell Focus (Conjuration) and Augment Summoning would be acceptable. I'm really stretching it at this point, but other than getting something out of other books, I'm still kinda stumpedBard summons are mostly useful if A.) used for utility, or B.) you ramp up your inspire courage like nobody's business.

They don't really get spells fast enough to be able to make good use of summons, otherwise.

cZak
2010-07-11, 05:41 PM
Kind of odd, and there are probably better builds for it...

Since Bard gets proficiency with a whip, a 15' reach weapon, for free you could go the old battle field control with Disarm/ trip build.