PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Wings without template or class?

Tyger
2010-07-08, 08:17 PM
Is there any way to gain wings, like a Fiendish Graft, that doesn't involve Fiendish Graft? Magical or otherwise? I won't take a template at this stage in the character's career and his classes are all but locked in, but love the idea of having wings. He's a bard though, so the -6 to Charisma based checks that goes along with a Fiendish Graft is unacceptable.

EDIT: And I know about the Wings of Flying (54K is awfully steep at the moment) but was really looking for wings that are permanently wings.... not a cloak that turns into wings.

Any thoughts?

balistafreak
2010-07-08, 08:22 PM
Becoming a Dragonborn technically isn't a template. You can get wings from there.

... it basically is like getting a Template, though, so forget that. :smallannoyed:

PersonMan
2010-07-08, 08:23 PM
You could ask your DM for an Angelic Graft. Change some fluff and the penalty to cha-based checks to something else, and it should work.

Other than that, I don't know.

Tyger
2010-07-08, 08:24 PM
I should add, the character is a Silverbrow Human, so does qualify for some draconic stuff... level 8 bard / 1 mindbender heading into Sublime Chord in one more level. And he is Neutral Evil, with a (soon) Imp familiar. The damned Fiendish Graft fits so well thematically that it hurts. But that -6 to most of his core skills and abilities is too much to bear. :)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-08, 08:26 PM
Race: Raptoran from Races of the Wild
Feat: Draconic Wings in races of the dragon, must be taken at level 1 (except for dragonwrought kobolds who may take it at level 3) and you must have the dragonblood subtype
Edit: might need some feat re-training

onthetown
2010-07-08, 08:27 PM
Ask the DM for it to happen via roleplay? My human bard had angelic wings from an experience that happened without rules or dice rolling. All it did was give her a fly speed in the end.

Starscream
2010-07-08, 08:28 PM
Catch the disease "Warp Touch" from BoVD? There's a 1% chance you'll grow working wings.

Yeah, I've got nothing.

Lord Vampyre
2010-07-08, 08:28 PM
It depends on your race. Tieflings, Aasimars, and any race with dragon blood have access to feats that give them wings. Generally, it costs 2 feats for full use of the wings. You could ask your DM to allow you to refluff the feats, so you could use them, if your not of those races.

Other than that, I would look into using a wish spell to get the wings.

mabriss lethe
2010-07-08, 08:42 PM
Do you want wings or a fly speed?

there's the Whirlwind Form ( Magic of Eberron) graft that grants a 20 ft (perfect) fly speed with some situational penalties and -2 Con. It costs 58K so it might be out of your price range right now.

Not particularly permanent, but the feat Animal Devotion grants a short duration version of Overland Flight 1/day (can be taken multiple times and/or fueled by turn attempts.)

Mr.Moron
2010-07-08, 08:50 PM
Just ask your DM to trade out your Human Bonus Feat for the Raptoran's flight racial ability. It gets you what you want and isn't an unfair boost in power. In fact it's arguably a downgrade overall.

ryzouken
2010-07-08, 08:53 PM
Scroll of Wish to apply a +0 template that grants you wings. I recommend Unseelie Fey, that grants +2 Cha and wings.

Without templates or skills? Very difficult. Phoenix Cloak? Perfect flight maneuverability equal to land speed and usable at will.

SurlySeraph
2010-07-08, 09:07 PM
You can take Aberration Heritage + one other aberrant feat + Starspawn (from Lords of Madness) to get wings.

There's also Celestial Sorcerer Wings (PHBII), which is useless, and the Borne Aloft reserve feat from Complete Mage, which is semi-useful.

lightningcat
2010-07-08, 09:08 PM
It depends on your race. Tieflings, Aasimars, and any race with dragon blood have access to feats that give them wings. Generally, it costs 2 feats for full use of the wings. You could ask your DM to allow you to refluff the feats, so you could use them, if your not of those races.

Other than that, I would look into using a wish spell to get the wings.

agree to this idea. As I have been there in the past.

Knaight
2010-07-08, 09:31 PM
Scroll of Wish to apply a +0 template that grants you wings. I recommend Unseelie Fey, that grants +2 Cha and wings

What book?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-08, 09:34 PM
What book?

Not sure, but I think Fiend Folio

Darrin
2010-07-08, 10:37 PM
Is there any way to gain wings, like a Fiendish Graft, that doesn't involve Fiendish Graft? Magical or otherwise? I won't take a template at this stage in the character's career and his classes are all but locked in, but love the idea of having wings. He's a bard though, so the -6 to Charisma based checks that goes along with a Fiendish Graft is unacceptable.

Dragonborn of Bahumat is the easiest. 100 GP, limited fly speed at 6HD, much more respectable flight at 12HD. Unfortunately, you lose most of your racial abilities, and for silverbrow humans this means you lose your bonus feat.

If you're an Outsider, there's a feat in one of the Faerun books called Outsider Wings. If you have the dragonblood subtype, the feats Dragon Wings + Improved Dragon Wings gives you a flight speed at 6HD, but you have to take Dragon Wings at 1st level.

If you're willing to muck around with Incarnum, there's a few soulmelds that can be shaped to give you a fly speed: Airstep Sandals and Pegasus Cloak. A bit more obscure... the psionic soulmeld Astral Vambraces bound to your arms chakra lets you pick something from the Astral Constructs Menu A, which includes wings with a 20' fly speed.

EDIT: And I know about the Wings of Flying (54K is awfully steep at the moment) but was really looking for wings that are permanently wings.... not a cloak that turns into wings.

Winged Mask (Magic of Faerun p. 168) is cheaper. 13K for all-day flying. Phylactery of Change (Arms & Equipment Guide p. 135) can also work, 11200 GP for all-day polymorph into something with a fly speed.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-08, 11:12 PM
How about Red Bull?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-08, 11:14 PM
From now on, any potion of fly I place in my game will come in a blue can....

ryzouken
2010-07-09, 12:24 AM
Unseelie Fey template can be found in the Dragon Compendium. It is in Chapter 8: Monsters. Grants a slew of stat bonus and penalties, wings, DR/cold iron, has a chance of giving you odd vision, but defaults to low-light vision, and one of four different supernatural abilities themed around the seasons. Pay particular note to the Vernal Touch and Winter Chill entries.

The Phoenix Cloak is found in the item set sections of MIC.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-09, 12:36 AM
This has been mentioned, but without details.

An Aasimar or Tiefling can take Celestial Bloodline or Fiendish Bloodline, respectively, then Outsider Wings. Being an outsider isn't actually required, so a Lesser Aasimar or Tiefling would qualify. See Races of Faerūn for the feats, and Player's Guide to Faerūn (page 191) for the lesser planetouched adjustments.

For a Bard, the lesser Aasimar (with their +2 CHA) seems like a better choice than Silverbrow human.

IonDragon
2010-07-09, 12:53 AM
Well, if you're a Kobold, I think there's a 2 feat tree in RotD. One requires level one and the other requires level 6.

IdleMuse
2010-07-09, 01:11 AM
If you're set on a Silverbrow Human, you can take the Dragon Wings feat in Dragon Magic (p100) to gain a pair of wings. This seems like exactly what you want.

Tyger
2010-07-09, 07:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I may have a few more magic options than I thought, though the feats and racials are likely out. As noted, the character is a Silverbrown human, at level 9 already.

The Phoenix Cloak from the MiC looks good, so thanks for that one ryzouken. The Draconic wings and the like would be interesting, but I wouldn't be able to pull those off until level 18 (level 12 feat is already spoken for), so those aren't really workable. Good tips for next time though!

I think the best answer is probably the Wish idea... until I can afford that though, I'll just have to take Overland Flight as my first level 5 spell from Sublime Chord. Then I can work toward the wings, and then train it out for another spell later.

Thanks again for all the tips folks. This is the place to ask questions and get some good answers!

IdleMuse
2010-07-09, 11:54 AM
I've just had a thought... Permanent Image? For 100gp you can have a pair of wings on your back that look exactly how you want them, although I think you have to concentrate to 'flap' them. Combined with Overland Flight you're pretty much flying all the time.

The other option of course is cheese, with Bardic Metamagic and Persist Spell, but I don't think that's really necessary. Maybe a Persisted Persistent Image (lol) will go a better job of simulating wings than Permanent Image, but you sound feat-tight already.

Prodan
2010-07-09, 12:03 PM
Is there any way to gain wings, like a Fiendish Graft, that doesn't involve Fiendish Graft? Magical or otherwise?
Any thoughts?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q5yyamR6js8/SlUUZ7P999I/AAAAAAAAAK0/IuCKuEFRruc/s400/red-bull+boks.jpg

Tyger
2010-07-09, 12:10 PM
Too late Prodan, already done. :)

JeenLeen
2010-07-09, 12:14 PM
The Reincarnate spell has a small selection of DM's option. If you are a Humanoid, or can get your type changed to Humanoid, there is the possibility of you becoming Raptoran through Reincarnate. Note that in Spell Compendium there is a cheaper version that does not cost you a level (Last Breath?). If you really want it but your DM wants it to be possible in the setting, he could say you get lucky after investing a couple thousand GP into it.

Escheton
2010-07-09, 12:16 PM
Too late Prodan, already done. :)

Yeah, but this one has visuals. Also: potions of fly work well for this sorta thing.

Tyger
2010-07-09, 01:27 PM
Potions of fly give you permanent wings? :)

Sorry, just the number of comments / suggestions that don't take into account the information provided got to me.

Darrin
2010-07-09, 03:03 PM
The Phoenix Cloak from the MiC looks good, so thanks for that one ryzouken. The Draconic wings and the like would be interesting, but I wouldn't be able to pull those off until level 18 (level 12 feat is already spoken for), so those aren't really workable. Good tips for next time though!

Is feat retraining available? There's also psychic reformation and the Dark Chaos Shuffle for swapping your feats around.

El Dorado
2010-07-09, 03:51 PM
Alter Self?

Arceius
2010-07-10, 07:00 PM
In Savage Species there is a "Winged Creature" Template that has no LA and is easy to apply. It gives a decent fly speed with maneuverability based on DEX and you can choose what kind of wings you want. You might be able to convince the GM to craft an interesting side quest for it, or find some sort of slightly altered spell to alter yourself.

Zeful
2010-07-10, 07:50 PM
Scroll of Wish to apply a +0 template that grants you wings. I recommend Unseelie Fey, that grants +2 Cha and wings.

And how is that not falling into the greater effects clause of wish?

Tyger
2010-07-10, 07:51 PM
And how is that not falling into the greater effects clause of wish?

That one likely is, but I think that wishing for functional wings would be within the intention of the spell, from my DM's perspective. After all, it's hardly game breaking or all powerful.

balistafreak
2010-07-10, 09:36 PM
In Savage Species there is a "Winged Creature" Template that has no LA and is easy to apply. It gives a decent fly speed with maneuverability based on DEX and you can choose what kind of wings you want.

*checks Savage Species in disbelief*

Dude, if Winged were free, EVERYONE would have it. Fortunately, it's not. I'm looking right here on page 138, where it distinctly says "Level Adjustment: +2".

(That, and the OP didn't want a template solution.)