PDA

View Full Version : Bloodied and/or dying. Are there bounds to boundless endurance?

FullofQuestions
2010-07-08, 09:51 PM
My fighter is currently in a situation where he has a hit point value of 7 when he was hit for 10. This obviously puts me at -3. So here's my question. Since the boundless endurance utility power that I activated a turn ago takes effect when I am bloodied with a regeneration of 2+ my Con mod, which is 5, by the way, would I still get the regeneration of 7 to make me conscious again at a hit point value of 4, or does being below 0 hit points make me no longer bloodied, but now dying wherein I would have to make a death saving throw because boundless endurance would no longer be in effect? Furthermore, if I succeeded on the saving throw, would I still get my regeneration after my healing surge?

NecroRebel
2010-07-08, 10:13 PM
This took some searching for me, but I think I've got it.

Boundless Endurance is a stance. Nothing that I can find says that stances end when you fall unconscious, so they don't. You retain the benefit of a stance while unconscious, and if/when you wake up, if that happens during the same encounter, you retain it afterwards as well.

However, Boundless Endurance grants regeneration. Regeneration is called out in the Monster Manual 1's glossary (specifically page 282) as ceasing to function once the creature falls to 0 or fewer hit points.

So, while you remain in the Boundless Endurance stance and remain bloodied and, technically, retain regeneration 2+Con, regeneration doesn't actually function while dying. If you are healed otherwise, such as if you roll a 20 on your death saving throw or a Cleric uses Healing Word on you, you would still have the benefits of Boundless Endurance afterwards.

Confusing, no? :smallredface:

FullofQuestions
2010-07-08, 10:30 PM
This took some searching for me, but I think I've got it.

Boundless Endurance is a stance. Nothing that I can find says that stances end when you fall unconscious, so they don't. You retain the benefit of a stance while unconscious, and if/when you wake up, if that happens during the same encounter, you retain it afterwards as well.

However, Boundless Endurance grants regeneration. Regeneration is called out in the Monster Manual 1's glossary (specifically page 282) as ceasing to function once the creature falls to 0 or fewer hit points.

So, while you remain in the Boundless Endurance stance and remain bloodied and, technically, retain regeneration 2+Con, regeneration doesn't actually function while dying. If you are healed otherwise, such as if you roll a 20 on your death saving throw or a Cleric uses Healing Word on you, you would still have the benefits of Boundless Endurance afterwards.

Confusing, no? :smallredface:

Okay, thank you. This is what I thought. There is one problem I do have with it though. Nothing says a stance ends when you fall unconscious, however, it does you say fall prone when you fall unconscious. Prone is lying on the ground, or some form of that, so can you hold a stance if you are prone?

I also have a follow up question. If you recovered enough hit points so that you were no longer bloodied do the effects of boundless endurance continue until you reach max hit points?

NecroRebel
2010-07-08, 10:41 PM
Okay, thank you. This is what I thought. There is one problem I do have with it though. Nothing says a stance ends when you fall unconscious, however, it does you say fall prone when you fall unconscious. Prone is lying on the ground, or some form of that, so can you hold a stance if you are prone?

There's also nothing that says that a stance ends when you fall prone, so yes, you can indeed maintain a stance if you fall prone. Which makes some sense if you think about it (more than doing it while knocked out, anyway), as it becomes more a particular way of crouching or lying down rather than a particular way of standing.

I also have a follow up question. If you recovered enough hit points so that you were no longer bloodied do the effects of boundless endurance continue until you reach max hit points?

Boundless Endurance grants regeneration only when you are bloodied. So no; you'd regain hit points from that regeneration during a given round if and only if you were bloodied at the start of your turn during that round. Boundless Endurance wouldn't end as a result of starting your turn above the bloodied level, but, like if you were dying, you wouldn't benefit from it.

In fact, if you wanted to, you could activate Boundless Endurance before you were ever bloodied. You'd gain no benefit from it until you became bloodied, at which point you'd immediately begin regenerating.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-07-08, 11:57 PM
I believe that "dying" may be a different condition than "bloodied", therefore 'while bloodied' does not apply, as you aren't.