PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Homestar?

Cealocanth
2010-07-08, 10:26 PM
I was just recently introduced to www.homestarrunner.com and I've found that they haven't updated the site for a few months now. So my big question is... What happened to Homestar and his friends?

Starscream
2010-07-08, 10:45 PM
I read on the Homestar Wiki (which is scarily detailed and extensive, btw), that one of the brothers who creates the series recently had a baby. So presumably that's taking up all his time.

chiasaur11
2010-07-08, 10:48 PM
Which is a bit of a disappointment.

Ah, well. We'll always have Paris.

FoE
2010-07-08, 10:55 PM
I heard xey're workingz on zat new zeries "Xeriously Forxe!"

Am I xzaying that rightzx?

chiasaur11
2010-07-08, 11:06 PM
I heard xey're workingz on zat new zeries "Xeriously Forxe!"

Am I xzaying that rightzx?

Needs more "X".

(The X is for XTREME, obv.)

Dr.Epic
2010-07-08, 11:18 PM
Which is a bit of a disappointment.

Ah, well. We'll always have Paris.

I believe you mean Instanbul. (http://www.hrwiki.org/w/images/d/dc/istanbul.png)

Also, yeah, I miss the updates, almost as much as I miss Original Bubs.

tassaron
2010-07-08, 11:23 PM
Eh, Homestar Runner jumped the shark when they got rid of Onion Bubs. :smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-08, 11:24 PM
Eh, Homestar Runner jumped the shark when they got rid of Onion Bubs. :smallfrown:

I loved Crack Stunt Bubs way more.

Starscream
2010-07-08, 11:28 PM

"Onion Bubs?! Onion Bubs!!! Onion Buuuuuubs!"

chiasaur11
2010-07-08, 11:33 PM
I believe you mean Instanbul. (http://www.hrwiki.org/w/images/d/dc/istanbul.png)

You mean Constantinople?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-08, 11:37 PM
You mean Constantinople?

Instanbul (not Constantinople) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZfR33-m_tQ&feature=related)

Rutskarn
2010-07-08, 11:52 PM
If you recall, they did a thing a while back where they didn't really update over the summer. Presumably, that's what they're doing this time.

chiasaur11
2010-07-09, 12:08 AM
Instanbul (not Constantinople) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZfR33-m_tQ&feature=related)

Ah, right. Been a long time gone, Constantinople.

Why did Constantinople get the works?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-09, 12:38 AM
Who's Bubs?

Oh, wait, yeah, he's the mild mannered cover for the superhero Thnikkaman, right?

Btw, I personally know the girl whose email started the whole Fhqwhgads thing. No joking.

chiasaur11
2010-07-09, 12:46 AM
Who's Bubs?

Oh, wait, yeah, he's the mild mannered cover for the superhero Thnikkaman, right?

Btw, I personally know the girl whose email started the whole Fhqwhgads thing. No joking.

Bubs... is the same person as Thnikkaman?

You've been having some bad melonade there buddy.

KBF
2010-07-09, 12:47 AM
If you recall, they did a thing a while back where they didn't really update over the summer. Presumably, that's what they're doing this time.

Except they haven't really done anything since last holiday season. Did.. Did they even do a Decemberweenmas thing?

chiasaur11
2010-07-09, 12:54 AM
Except they haven't really done anything since last holiday season. Did.. Did they even do a Decemberweenmas thing?

No.

Geeze, that is depressing.

Tirian
2010-07-09, 12:59 AM

Yeah, except that aside from a marginal April Fool's effort, they haven't updated since their marginal Halloween effort. And 2009 itself was a trickle of effort, but that was perhaps more expected since they were working on the game.

It's anyone's guess what's going on. The Chapmans know what their plans and motivations are, but they aren't saying. I assume that what we are seeing is the actual state of H*R; they've moved on to other things but don't feel like formally saying that the site is defunct.

skywalker
2010-07-09, 01:08 AM
Seems natural to me. I mean, the site is incredibly well-known, yet how much do you think they make off of it? It seems like all that stuff takes a horrendous amount of effort for very little gain (no ad revenues, very little t-shirt/swag sales).

If I had just had a baby, I'd be putting my energy into something more profitable too.

Plus, it all got a little too complicated at some point, at least for my tastes. When it was just a bunch of weirdos hanging around, it was cool. But when massive plotlines started developing, I got a lot less interested.

"How to Say Job" is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-09, 01:14 AM
Who's Bubs?

No he's Dry Ragamuffin or his mild-mannered alter ego, Dreyfus Ragámoofin.

chiasaur11
2010-07-09, 01:21 AM
Seems natural to me. I mean, the site is incredibly well-known, yet how much do you think they make off of it? It seems like all that stuff takes a horrendous amount of effort for very little gain (no ad revenues, very little t-shirt/swag sales).

If I had just had a baby, I'd be putting my energy into something more profitable too.

Plus, it all got a little too complicated at some point, at least for my tastes. When it was just a bunch of weirdos hanging around, it was cool. But when massive plotlines started developing, I got a lot less interested.

"How to Say Job" is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Apparently, it's how the brothers Chap make their livings, so I'd say swag sales are sufficient.

Serpentine
2010-07-09, 02:39 AM
Ah, right. Been a long time gone, Constantinople.

Why did Constantinople get the works?That's nobody's business but the Turks'.

...The Rose Dragon?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-09, 04:03 AM
That's nobody's business but the Turks'.

...The Rose Dragon?

The sun is hot, the sun is not a very good place to be.

Tirian
2010-07-09, 06:17 PM
Apparently, it's how the brothers Chap make their livings, so I'd say swag sales are sufficient.

As far as how they make their livings, perhaps it should be noted that Matt Chapman and Craig Zobel were hired as writers for Monster Safari a year ago, which probably does an even better job of paying the bills.

Cealocanth
2010-07-09, 10:22 PM
I think I'll wait till the school year begins again, then I'll declare the site dead.

Just finding out about Homestar last week and all, I think they still have a chance.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-09, 10:26 PM
I think I'll wait till the school year begins again, then I'll declare the site dead.

Just finding out about Homestar last week and all, I think they still have a chance.

http://geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2009/03/2009-03-12-dr_manhattan.jpg

"Nothing ends...Nothing ever ends."

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-09, 10:34 PM

I believe it is fascinating that you misspelled the city's name not once, but twice, despite it being spelled correctly in the image you linked and in its file name. :smalltongue:

Sorry, was searching my name in the forums to see whether someone confessed to their undying love for my rugged good looks. And Serpie, I'm disappointed.

The extent of my knowledge on HSR is that Strong Bad is far more popular than HSR himself and that you cannot get ye flask.

Serpentine
2010-07-09, 11:10 PM
Sorry, was searching my name in the forums to see whether someone confessed to their undying love for my rugged good looks. And Serpie, I'm disappointed.It's implied in every allusion I make to you.

The extent of my knowledge on HSR is that Strong Bad is far more popular than HSR himself and that you cannot get ye flask.I got it...

Tirian
2010-07-10, 08:39 AM
The extent of my knowledge on HSR is that Strong Bad is far more popular than HSR himself and that you cannot get ye flask.

I got it...

Sure, but it's a load-bearing flask, so the dungeon immediately collapses and kills you.

Maybe you can get ye flask in the sequels, but those are tautologically not the true ye flask.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-10, 09:07 AM
...but those are tautologically not the true ye flask.

You mean ye true flask. The and ye are both definite articles.

Tirian
2010-07-10, 09:34 AM
No, I think I mean "the true ye flask". The H*R universe has some peculiar rules about grammar and spelling (and then abuses even those when it's funny).