PDA

View Full Version : Weaponizing Stone Shape

Ravingdork
2010-07-08, 11:03 PM
DISCLAIMER: I know some of these are cheesy and may not be allowed by certain anal GMs. What of it? :tongue::biggrin:

Since I am playing an earth-themed spellcaster (aka an earth bender), I'm looking for advice on rules-legal ways to weaponize the stone shape spell, or to at least make it really awesome outside of combat.

I did some mathematical calculations and, as a 5th-level cleric or druid, I can manipulate 15 cubic feet of stone.

Some ideas that I had were as follows:

- Create spikes...big spikes...under enemies...impaling them. With 15 cubic feet I could create 45 right cones, each 5 feet long with a 3 inch radius at their base (if I did my math correctly). By reducing the radius, I can create well over a hundred spikes (albeit more fragile ones). At later levels, I could potentially impale small armies numbering in the hundreds.

- Prepare an action to create the above spikes (facing at an angle from the ground) when the enemy charges you and your friends so that they impale themselves.

- Touch a stone tower or similar structure and reshape a diagonal sliver out of it (moving it somewhere else in the tower) effectively cleaving the tower in half causing the top half to slide off the bottom half. I haven't done the math, but considering towers are rarely solid and I would only need to move a 1/2" x W' x D' or so, I should be able to pull this off even at low levels.

- Similar to the spike trick above, but the objective is to trap the victim(s) rather than to harm them. Simply have the cones spring up all around them thereby restricting their movement and making them helpless.

- Reshape a wall or ceiling into small spheres causing it to collapse on people standing nearby. Since I am not so much "turning the stone into spheres" as much as I am "reshaping/moving the stone from all the spaces BETWEEN the spheres," I can affect a surprisingly large amount of ceiling/wall this way.

- A combination of the above tricks: Instead of shaping a section of ceiling, shape them into cone spikes, then move a sliver of stone from their base causing them to fall on people below. I have no idea how much volume it would take to do that though...

- Cause a door in a stone frame to become blocked by stone cross bars in order to stop an enemy pursuit dead in its tracks.

- Seal a stone sarcophagi so that the horrible undead can't escape.

- Open a narrow passage (such as a door or series of murder holes) through a stone wall.

- Create a series of crude HOLLOW humanoid statues (I estimate about 1 per 5 cubic feet) to trick far off enemies or something.

- Create a mundane object such as thin slabs in the shape of a tent or shelter, or create a narrow bridge over a small chasm, or make a goblet or bowl for holding liquids or food.

What ideas do YOU have?

EDIT: After talking to my GM about it, he has laid down some rules. Since it is a touch range spell, he said I can only effect stone that I can touch, that is, anything within my square or within my reach. Therefore I could not create hundreds of spikes to impale an army "in yonder cavern," however, I could put an adjacent guy on a spic in a heartbeat. Furthermore, I would be able to hit a guy 10, 15, or 20 feet away (starting the spike in an adjacent square) but the extra volume this would eat up would seriously limit its range. It also means certain tricks like the tower slice might not work. (He's still working out how much damage a spike or spikes might deal--got any advice on that?)

Don't let that stop you and whatever awesome ideas you might come up with, however. :smallbiggrin:

mabriss lethe
2010-07-08, 11:08 PM
If you're a druid, you probably have a pretty optimized wisdom score. Answer? Shapesand (the alchemical item.) You can make anything of an appropriate volume with a dc 16 wisdom check.

As for what to make with it? so I direct your attention here. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/traps.htm) If you can't make that into something fun, then it's already Game-Over

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-08, 11:13 PM
How about weaking floors (by thinning said floor) to make impropentu pit traps?

Shape projectiles for the hurling hurler in the party?

work with the party wizard/artificer to get custom Stone golems?

Make statues of your enemies, then smash them in brutal ways to get a circumstance bonus to intimidate?

Weaken or destroy the foundations of the enemy stronghold?

Instant rock armor!!!!

Truly this spell is only limited by your creativity

(BTW if I ever play a caster with this spell, considere the spike ideas robbed

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-08, 11:53 PM
I would think the best bet for damage would be to cut the stone roof of a pasage into 1lb blocks and let them deal falling damage. You remove only a one atom thick slice between the blocks, allowing you to basicly destablize the entire top of the mountain on your foe.

Noedig
2010-07-08, 11:55 PM
I for one applaud your creativity. Im AFB right now but depending on the wording of the spell I believe I would allow all of the above with the exception of the ceiling spheres. The differences you laid out do not satisfy the DM inside me, and I would need to see a number crunch. Points for coolness though.

Ravingdork
2010-07-09, 12:28 AM
Thought of a new one: Encasing your opponent in stone.

About an inch thick layer of stone formed snugly over a creature's body will absolutely keep them from moving. Leaving a vital spot open (like his head) will allow for easy interrogation/killing.

A minor variation would be cement boots. It takes, what, 1 cubic foot of stone to totally encase a medium creature's foot in heavy stone and root it to the stone in the ground? So when I initially pick up this spell I can root as many as 15 medium creatures to the earth (one stuck foot each). Neat.

Arceius
2010-07-10, 07:26 PM
My personal favorite use of Stone Shape is to combine it with Wood Shape (Fabricate is also awesome for this sort of thing) to make ridiculous custom weapons for my druid. Like adding deadly barbs to regular arrows, or beastly "Tiger Claws" use when shaped as a guerrilla. There are lots of fun ways to use the shape-things-into-the-flesh-of-your-enemies approach though too. Spikes, always nice. Also you can immobilize a larger group of enemies by forming the stone up just a bit to encase their feet. Stone shape can, technically, alter the consistency of said stone as you shape it (that ones easily debatable and will likely need a little GM leeway) allowing you to drop through the floor of stone towers, or drop your enemies in a similar fashion.