PDA

View Full Version : Fast Progression classes

IdleMuse
2010-07-09, 12:27 AM
Is there a comprehensive list out there of classes with 'fast' (better than Wizard) spellcasting progression?

I know of Ur-Priest and Divine Crusader, are there any more?

Tshern
2010-07-09, 12:46 AM
Is there a comprehensive list out there of classes with 'fast' (better than Wizard) spellcasting progression?

Sublime Chord, but its prerequisites are so steep that you eventually wind up getting 9th level spells later than a standard Wizard. Then there is the infamous Beholder Mage from Lords of Madness, but you might wish to steer away from that unless your DM is a friend of cheese of the stinkiest kind.

I think there was a list at some forum some time, but unfortunately, I can't point you towards it...

Optimystik
2010-07-09, 12:49 AM
Blighter. It's... on second thought, never mind.

IdleMuse
2010-07-09, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I totally overlooked Blighter... it's certainly interesting.

Milskidasith
2010-07-09, 12:53 AM
There was a third party PrC that gave you 7/5ths casting and a free bonus feat, required... I think it was skill focus (concentration) to enter, and needed a concentration check of DC 10 or 15+con or... some really minor penalty.

Yeah. Third party books are frequently stupid.

Tshern
2010-07-09, 12:55 AM
There is something intriguing in pissing off all the Druids in your area. Makes for an exciting and, most of all, short-lived character.

Optimystik
2010-07-09, 12:59 AM
There is something intriguing in pissing off all the Druids in your area. Makes for an exciting and, most of all, short-lived character.

You live even shorter with no trees around. In a desert, or tundra, aquatic campaign, barren plane etc. you become an Expert.

Tshern
2010-07-09, 01:00 AM
You live even shorter with no trees around. In a desert, or tundra, aquatic campaign, barren plane etc. you become an Expert.
Unless you happen to be a really shrewd Blighter and carry your collection of bonsai trees in an extradimensional space.

Optimystik
2010-07-09, 01:14 AM
Unless you happen to be a really shrewd Blighter and carry your collection of bonsai trees in an extradimensional space.

That's one hell of a component pouch.

arguskos
2010-07-09, 01:16 AM
Aren't there Druid spells that require part of a plant that doesn't cost anything? BAM! Totally just break out big piles of that stuff from your component pouch and roll with it. :smallamused:

Tshern
2010-07-09, 01:18 AM
Use a Portable hole. Not too practical, I know, but if you are playing a Blighter, you threw practicality out of the window the moment you started filling the 'Class' line of your character sheet.

The Cat Goddess
2010-07-09, 01:24 AM

So, being a reality warping super-being by level 15 isn't soon enough for you?

Optimystik
2010-07-09, 01:29 AM
So, being a reality warping super-being by level 15 isn't soon enough for you?

The fast ones are handy for theurging.

Use a Portable hole. Not too practical, I know, but if you are playing a Blighter, you threw practicality out of the window the moment you started filling the 'Class' line of your character sheet.

I'd have an NPC druid chuck a Bag of Holding into it when you're about to prepare spells. :smalltongue:

Sliver
2010-07-09, 01:38 AM
Don't you have other class features that are still available if you didn't destroy a tree? Hardly an expert...

IdleMuse
2010-07-09, 01:40 AM
I found another one, Apostle of Peace, in BoED. I'm gonna have a look through BoVD as well.

These kinds of classes are great for when you want to take up a fairly non-magical prestige class that happens to have a mid-level spell requirement. The examples i'm working on at the moment is Fiendbinder in ToM and Malconvoker in CSc. Take the latter for instance; a mostly-support character that wants to add fiendish summoning power to their repertoire without taking 5 levels of Cleric to qualify, can instead take three levels of Ur-Priest, a much smaller 'dip' leaving more room for Malconvoker class features.

EDIT: Yeah, BOVD has Ur-Priest again, of course, but also Demonologist, which is a fast progression class, but only covers level 1-4 spells, despite requiring thrid level spells to get in. Not too useful.

Tshern
2010-07-09, 02:30 AM
I'd have an NPC druid chuck a Bag of Holding into it when you're about to prepare spells. :smalltongue:
Or you could just whack the living daylights out of the Blighter and throw him to the hole.

Runestar
2010-07-09, 04:34 AM
Nar demonbinder (unapproachable east) - only 1 lv faster, but one of my favourite prcs, and great for a half-caster such as blackguard. :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-07-09, 05:26 AM

Druid 5/Blighter 3/Planar Shepherd 7 for awesome villain? Pick a plane with lots of trees. :smalltongue:

true_shinken
2010-07-09, 08:02 AM
Nar Demonbinder, Defiant and Knight of the Weave spring to mind. They don't get 9th-level spells, though.
Also, Suel Arcanamach for the first few levels.
EDIT: hmm, Fighter 5/Knight of the Weave 7/Demonbinder 3/Abjurant Champion 5 looks like an interesting gish. Just for the laughs of a Fighter with 8th level spells.