PDA

View Full Version : My understanding of critical hits (3.5)

Harperfan7
2010-07-09, 01:38 AM
I stumbled upon this idea a little while ago, and I was wondering if its what anybody else thought.

a 20/x2 weapon is one that doesn't damage a large area or penetrate deeply.

a 19-20/x2 weapon is one that damages a larger are but does not penetrate deeply.

a 18-20/x2 weapon is one that damages a very large area and does not penetrate deeply, but is typically of lighter build than a 19-20/x2 weapon.

a x3 weapon is one that does not damage a large area, but penetrates deeply.

a x4 weapon is one that does not damage a large area, but penetrates very deeply, though is typically a lighter weapon than a x3.

Now, a critical hit is when you damage a vulnerable area, and the multiplier comes from how deeply the wound penetrates, so a high threat range weapon (18-20/x2, like a scimitar) cuts a very wide area (greater chance to hit the vulnerable area on any one strike) but won't penetrate deeply. A pick on the other hand (x4) is one that will have a hard time hitting the vulnerable area, but when it does it penetrates very deeply.

This is how it works right?

So I might be justified making rapiers and crossbows x3 or x4 instead of what they are? (longbows x4 too?)

Skorj
2010-07-09, 01:48 AM
Not quite - x3 and x4 weapons include axes and hammers, which damage large areas.

The 18-20 weapons represent nimble weapons that it's easier to control, the rapier being the classic. The x3 and x4 weapons represent the heavier, clumsier weapons that hit really hard. The only reason Scimitars (and by extension, Falchions, which D&D treats as 2H scimitars) are considered "nimble" is that silly Drzzzzzzzt guy.

Edit: crossbows are easier to aim than bows, historically, but if you prefer fantasy mythical longbows of marvelous accuracy, making them 19-20 would make sense.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-09, 02:51 AM
Kinda, a crossbow was quicker to train with and easier to use, but a longbow in the hands of a master was accurate for a much longer range in group actions. DnD gets this all mixed up though, becuse the longbow was mostly used for arcing shots and the crossbow could be fired from a croutch or witha brace, improveing the stability of the bow and accuracy greatly for a single shot. In short range and standing free, the longbow is more accurate for a skilled shooter due to the lighter weight and the variable power ability of a drawn string.

But yes. I agree with the first post. That makes a lot of sense.

Psyx
2010-07-09, 04:09 AM
"So I might be justified making rapiers and crossbows x3 or x4 instead of what they are? (longbows x4 too?)"

Remember the balance factor. Moving them to a straight 3x /20 would be ok, but anything else would be out of line with the balance of the weapons.

As someone has said: Rapiers don't get a 18-20/2 because they penetrate, they get it because they are 'easy' to get a crit with. I'm guessing that crossbows get the 19-20 because they are 'easy' to use, too, whereas a precise shot with a bow is harder to pull off.

Ingus
2010-07-09, 04:27 AM
Critical hits are a representation of "what happens when you used good" that weapon.

So, a rapier is easier to use: basicly, is back and forth, and so you can be precise with it more often (18-20), but at the end the blow would be just a bit better than normal (x2).

To say, greataxe is very difficult to use (crit only on 20), but when you swing it good, you can cut your opponent very well (x3).

A pick is also difficult to manage, but given the form, when used very good it is likely to open a skull in two (x4)

Not all of weapons are judged this way, since WotC often look at balancing factor too.

9mm
2010-07-09, 08:24 AM
crossbows have higher crits because they packed a bigger punch, even simple ones like hook and claw crossbows had a much stronger bow wieght than the average long bow, but were shorter ranged, more expensive, and costly to train (in europe crossbows were almost exclusivly deployed by mercenaries). simple longbows worked on mass fire to saturate areas, but didn't have the same "punch on target" as the crossbow, but could easily go farther.

Not all of weapons are judged this way, since WotC often look at balancing factor too.

LOL