PDA

View Full Version : Alchemist Feats

Eldan
2010-07-09, 02:51 AM
Okay, so... I read that thread about the Pathfinder Alchemist. And while I admit I've never even seen that class, the idea seemed pretty cool. I wasn't sure if it warranted it's own class, though (since I don't even really know what it does), so I made a few feats, instead.

Alchemical Improvisation

Prerequisites: Craft: Alchemy 8 ranks, Brew Potion or Craft Alchemical Grenade
Benefit:You can create alchemical items, magic potions and alchemical grenades much faster than normal, but with reduced effectiveness.
Making an improvised alchemical item takes ten minutes, while making an improvised potion or grenade takes ten minutes per level of the spell used in making the item. Instead of only paying a fraction, you have to pay the item's full market cost in raw materials.
The item is of poor quality: an improvised item degrades in hour, becoming completely useless, while an improvised potion or grenade degrades in one hour per spell level.
Furthermore, all potions and grenades made this way can not have a caster level higher than one, even if normally a higher caster level would be required to cast the spell. All save DCs against grenades made this way are reduced by four.
Special: Wizards and Artificers can take this feat as a bonus feat.

Natural Alchemist
Prerequisites: Knowledge: Arcana 4 ranks
Benefit: You can make alchemical items, magical potions and grenades without the aid of magic.
You can take ranks in the craft: alchemy skill without having levels in a spellcasting class.
If you have the Brew Potion or Craft Alchemical Grenade feats, you can craft these items without possessing the required spells. If you do so, you must pay 3/4 the items market cost in raw materials, instead of 1/2, in addition to any costly material components which would normally required by the spell, but pay no experience points. The resulting items are still magical in nature. Furthermore, for successfully crafting such items, you have to make a successful craft:alchemy check equal to 15+the twice level of the spell required to craft the item.

Craft Alchemical Grenade
Prerequisites Caster level 3rd.
Benefit You can create a grenade of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that has as it's area or effect either a burst or a spread. Crafting a grenade takes one day. When you create a grenade, you set the caster level, which must be sufficient to cast the spell in question and no higher than your own level. The base price of a grenade is its spell level × its caster level × 50 gp. To brew a grenade , you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one half this base price.

When you create a grenade, you make any choices that you would normally make when casting the spell. The spell's normal area of effect is replaced by a 15 foot burst, or the spell's original area, whichever is smaller.

Any grenade that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when creating the grenade.

Knaight
2010-07-09, 08:09 AM
The class is online, read it. Its pretty awesome, even if it isn't tier 1. Easily tier 4, probably tier 3, and other than some odd flavor constraints (either immortality or the philosophers stone? What? Isn't half the point of said stone eventually achieving immortality?) its a decent implementation of an alchemist that avoids the pitfall of becoming ungodly powerful with preparation. Which would be fine in some systems, but you know how D&D is.