PDA

View Full Version : Brainy Pete had a silver trophy...

Harperfan7
2010-07-09, 03:35 AM
Who beat him? Haley? Haley's dad?

Will it be plot relevant?

Mystic Muse
2010-07-09, 04:07 AM

Probably not.

My guess is Robin hood beat him.

factotum
2010-07-09, 06:31 AM
The silver trophy was from 1160. The strip started in 1184. Unless Haley was a really, really good shot with a bow while she was still in the womb, it's pretty unlikely she beat him!

And there are several gold trophies that follow the silver one, so whoever beat Pete didn't beat him again; and one person being a slightly better shot than a fairly minor NPC more than two decades ago doesn't strike me as something that's likely to be plot relevant...

LuPuWei
2010-07-09, 07:01 AM
This is off-topic (and maybe discussed) but Brainy Pete says to the guildmembers that he just wants to get to his den (where the weapons are) Is it possible that he really was going to mount a rescue?

Lord Bingo
2010-07-09, 07:21 AM
No, IMO it is not possible that he wanted to mount a rescue. He sold them out. End of plotline.

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-07-09, 07:31 AM
Who beat him? Haley? Haley's dad?

He got a silver trophy from playstation. Probably uncharted 2.

In seriousness, its impossible to know. To even assume that haley and her father are the two greatest archers is kind of unfair. Good catch tho.

Ancalagon
2010-07-09, 07:32 AM
This is off-topic (and maybe discussed) but Brainy Pete says to the guildmembers that he just wants to get to his den (where the weapons are) Is it possible that he really was going to mount a rescue?

Yes, it is possible. I, personally, find it unlikely, but it still is possible. We will never know.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-07-09, 07:46 AM
In seriousness, its impossible to know. To even assume that haley and her father are the two greatest archers is kind of unfair. Good catch tho.
Haley’s dad, sure. We have no frame of reference. But you can’t look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0470.html) and tell me it’s unfair to think Haley’s one of the best.

blueblade
2010-07-09, 07:46 AM
Suzy Finkelstein beat him (allegations she had cast cats grace and tensers transformation beforehand are strongly denied).

JustIgnoreMe
2010-07-09, 12:05 PM
And there are several gold trophies that follow the silver one, so whoever beat Pete didn't beat him again; and one person being a slightly better shot than a fairly minor NPC more than two decades ago doesn't strike me as something that's likely to be plot relevant...

My personal theory is that Eagle Eye Pete, annoyed at being beaten, "took care of" his competion before the next event.

sihnfahl
2010-07-09, 01:39 PM
My personal theory is that Eagle Eye Pete, annoyed at being beaten, "took care of" his competion before the next event.
What do you mean Pete took care of his competition?

It was just an unfortunate accident.

rewinn
2010-07-09, 01:48 PM
What do you mean Pete took care of his competition?

It was just an unfortunate accident.

Or else .... "Mysterious Circumstances" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0727.html)

King of Nowhere
2010-07-09, 02:30 PM
Strange that no one mentioned that even if you're the best, you may still be beaten by someone weaker than you from time to time. Everyone practicing any kind of sport competition know that. Otherwise, there would be no point in competing in the first place.
The silvr trophy may just mean that the second or third best sniper of the guild won that year with a lucky shot. Or that, at the time, pete still wasn't the best, since it's quite an old trophy

Zeitgeist
2010-07-10, 03:36 AM
Strange that no one mentioned that even if you're the best, you may still be beaten by someone weaker than you from time to time.

Yeah, I noticed the silver trophy right away, and this is what I assumed. I figured Rich might have believed it to be a little unrealistic for him to have only golds, so he threw a silver in.

If he is planning something based on it, though, it'd be interested and indeed clever writing and very subtle foreshadowing.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-10, 04:42 AM
Do we know it's silver? Could it be platinum or mithril?

Miklus
2010-07-10, 05:18 AM
The real question is why nobody stole it (and the gold ones) right away...They are all a bunch of thieves.

Maybe it is just silver plated...

factotum
2010-07-11, 01:31 AM
The real question is why nobody stole it (and the gold ones) right away...They are all a bunch of thieves.

Because they already know that everything in that house belongs to the Guild once Pete dies, and it isn't worth getting on the wrong side of Bozzok to get a short-term cash injection?

If he was going to rescue them, why would he have sold them out in the first place? And no matter how good a shot he is, I doubt Pete would be a match for the whole of the Guild even with his eyes back.

LuPuWei
2010-07-11, 04:49 AM
If he was going to rescue them, why would he have sold them out in the first place?

Presumably to get his eyes back.

And no matter how good a shot he is, I doubt Pete would be a match for the whole of the Guild even with his eyes back.

Let's not discount homeground advantage.

Kaytara
2010-07-11, 04:57 AM
If we ever meet an NPC who is ridiculously good with a bow, we might get a dropped mention of that one year he'd competed in competition so-and-so.

Might just as well mean nothing, though.

Amarsir
2010-07-11, 05:01 AM
I felt so at the time. (And actually would have preferred that to the Celia-driven way the arc ended.) But that would mean The Giant set up the rescue and then immediately changed his mind and dropped it without mention. I find that unlikely. So absent any author's indication that Pete wanted to save them, I have to conclude that was never the plan.

Ancalagon
2010-07-11, 06:23 AM
Pete being honest about the rescue is pretty unlikely. The common theory is:
Pete rats out the fugitives and gets his sight restored as reward. He then returns and helps the fugutives, thus cleaning his slate.

So far so good. But this is not thought through to the end. The "what then" is missing?
Did Pete really plan on killing the entire guild? Did he plan he'd be able to, alone, shoot down like 12 or 20 thieves, probably including a few high levels (Crystal, Hank, Bozzok) all by himself so he and the others could either totally eradicate the entire guild or at least escape?

If it was just about helping the others, he could have done without ratting them out.
If it was about re-gaining his sight, it's likely he did not intend to help them after betraying them.
If it was about regaining his sight but then rescueing the people he just betrayed from the entire guild... it seems very unlikely, even if Pete was high level (he does not seem to be THAT high level, though) that he would be able to take the guild on his own. And he has to know that.
So I find it likely he really would have sat down in his seat and regretted the price he had to pay (Haley and Childhood friend) to get his slate cleared (and vision back) with the guild.

A strong indicator for his planned dishonesty is: IF he just wanted to clear his slate with the guild there would be no need at all to involve his childhold-friend. He could just have betrayed Haley. But apparently, he wanted to make VERY sure he gets what he wants... so he included his cleric-friend as well.
This was unnecessary and a massive risk, so why take it at all? No, Pete only had his own good in mind.

What makes it interesting is that I *could* be wrong. But we will never know.

factotum
2010-07-11, 12:25 PM
In addition, how did he know that any of them would still be alive by the time he got back? He had to have been gone for at least ten minutes (because we know the cleric cast Sending before he returned)--he knew Belkar was sick, so he would have had to assume that Haley, Celia and his old friend could survive against the attack of the entire Guild for that time. Doesn't seem likely, and if the Guild had had any tactical sense at all (e.g. NOT sending all the lowbies in first while the high rankers held back) then it wouldn't have worked.

The only evidence we have that Pete might have been trying to mount a rescue is his own words when he was pinned to the ground by a sword through his foot and had a man advancing on him with murder on his mind. I don't think anything he said then can really be relied upon as truthful--he was trying to save his own hide!

LuPuWei
2010-07-11, 12:47 PM
... this is not thought through to the end. The "what then" is missing?

Good point. I agree its unlikely now. I think the most likely, if at all, way to consider a rescue on his part, is if it were a chaotic neutral act, he betrayed his friends, got his eyes and decided what the heck, let's go to the den and earn some XPs- but it is unlikely. The only reason I ask is because of how HAley explicitly goes to then den afterwards. I think I've been reading too much TvTropes...:smallbiggrin:

homersolo
2010-07-23, 12:35 PM
I'm sure this was discussed before, but I couldn't find it:

Blind Pete had four gold trophies and one silver. See http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0614.html

I'm sure the there will be a back story on this, showing either Haley or her father winning the one that he didn't. My question is: Was this back story already done or is it something we can look forward to?

SoC175
2010-07-23, 12:43 PM
Was her dad ever mentioned to be a good archer? Unless Haley beat Pete while still a toddler, she's too young to have won the trophy in 1160

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-23, 03:29 PM
Last discussed a couple of weeks ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159421)

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 06:36 PM
Last discussed a couple of weeks ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159421)

Yeah I was about to say it seemed like this was brought up not too long ago. Also, how do we know it's silver and not platinum or mithril?

Morquard
2010-07-23, 07:16 PM
And why are you sure there will be a backstory about a guy thats been dead for 300 strips and never been mentioned since, and about an event that most likely has no relevance whatsoever?

The Giant
2010-07-23, 08:34 PM
Was a single trophy really important enough to spawn two different discussions?

Sometimes, I put in details solely because it adds a touch of realism or detail to a panel. It seemed like it says something about the character if he didn't win every single time; it says that he's good, but not unbeatable. However, I can assure you there is no more importance to it than that, nor will it ever be mentioned again.

Not everything has a story attached to it, or at least, not a story worth telling.

Prowl
2010-07-26, 08:13 AM
This is sort of sideways to the topic, but I was thinking how fortunate it was that he didn't call himself "Testicle Pete"

LuPuWei
2010-07-26, 12:35 PM
This is sort of sideways to the topic, but I was thinking how fortunate it was that he didn't call himself "Testicle Pete"

Or just 'Peter'.

The Giant
2010-07-26, 12:55 PM
Merged two threads on the same subject, Note my response to the silver trophy issue earlier in the thread.

Darth Hunterix
2010-07-27, 07:08 PM
Was a single trophy really important enough to spawn two different discussions?

Sometimes, I put in details solely because it adds a touch of realism or detail to a panel. It seemed like it says something about the character if he didn't win every single time; it says that he's good, but not unbeatable. However, I can assure you there is no more importance to it than that, nor will it ever be mentioned again.

Not everything has a story attached to it, or at least, not a story worth telling.

Yeah, and the black gragon from stripe #181 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0181.html) was just random, insignificant monster, nothing to worry about, because will it ever be mentioned again.

Not every monster has a story attached to it, or at least, not a story worth telling..

The Blackbird
2010-07-27, 07:19 PM
Yeah, and the black gragon from stripe #181 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0181.html) was just random, insignificant monster, nothing to worry about, because will it ever be mentioned again.

Not every monster has a story attached to it, or at least, not a story worth telling..

Except the dragon was far more significant than a minor background detail and later had forshadowing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0188.html) for the later event.

Darth Hunterix
2010-07-27, 07:35 PM
Except the dragon was far more significant than a minor background detail and later had forshadowing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0188.html) for the later event.

I have a certain feeling that you didn't get the joke...

The Blackbird
2010-07-27, 07:58 PM
I have a certain feeling that you didn't get the joke...

Perhaps, but it's hard to display sarcasm over the internet and mostly I just saw someone taking a rude snipe at the Giant.

Darth Hunterix
2010-07-27, 08:13 PM
Perhaps, but it's hard to display sarcasm over the internet
Truer words has never been spoken.

someone taking a rude snipe at the Giant.
Falser words has never been spoken.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-28, 12:21 AM

You're surely not comparing one of the Order's more notable adversaries to an inanimate object, in the background of a scene, that was never even so much as commented on by a single character?

Rowsen
2010-07-28, 12:39 AM

You're arguing with the guy who writes it. If he says it's insignificant, it's insignificant. No further discussion needed.

Darth Hunterix
2010-07-28, 04:25 PM
I know who the Giant is and I wasn't arguing. Nimrod's son almost got my joke, byt apparently he is thinking I was serious about it which is, certainly, ridiculous.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-28, 10:00 PM
I know who the Giant is and I wasn't arguing. Nimrod's son almost got my joke, byt apparently he is thinking I was serious about it which is, certainly, ridiculous.
You'd already stated you were joking. Trouble is, it doesn't read like a joke. It reads like you're telling Rich that he should expect this sort of pointless speculation because sometimes he reintroduces story elements that have largely been forgotten about.

Which is, certainly, ridiculous. :smallwink:

Secris
2010-07-28, 10:18 PM
I wondered about this too. Thanks for the reply Rich, but I was quite hoping for the Pete killed the competition bit and somehow got a flashback to it. Ah well, can't have everything.

Klev
2010-07-28, 10:45 PM
You're surely not comparing one of the Order's more notable adversaries to an inanimate object, in the background of a scene, that was never even so much as commented on by a single character?

Yeah guys is not like something almost hidden on the background (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html) will come back later (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0496.html)...

Like the Giant said you guys are looking too much into small things :smallbiggrin:

snikrept
2010-07-29, 12:37 AM

Yeh, that was my take on this too. He was fixated on getting his eyes back, but once he had them, he came back to get his bow, rescue them and help them unleash a beatdown on the guild that had tormented him all those years.

Unfortunately he didn't count on Belkar :)