PDA

View Full Version : two ideas for spellcasters, how could this be done? (3.5)

Harperfan7
2010-07-09, 03:56 AM
1. Disguising your spells. If somebody wants to counterspell you, they make a spellcraft check to identify the spell. Well, is there any way to disguise your spell as something else when casting it? I know of spell thematics, but is there anything else?

2. Could a wizard trap a scroll with one spell while making it read and look like another spell? Hypothetical example: Pc finds a scroll and uses it, thinking its Summon Monster IX, as soon as he triggers it, turns out its a trap that summons a preselected creature that acts on predetermined orders to attack whoever summoned it.

I figure spells like illusory script and that 1st level wiz/sorc spell that hides magic auras might have something to do with this.

Cahokia
2010-07-09, 04:00 AM
1. The False Theurgy skill trick from Complete Scoundrel does pretty much exactly what you're describing.

2. Some sort of Contingency trick? I dunno. Wizards are not really my area of expertise.

Psyx
2010-07-09, 04:03 AM
1) The above, or a stilled, silent spell.

2) If you're the GM: Yes. It's magic. If you're the player...not so sure...ask your GM!

Math_Mage
2010-07-09, 04:05 AM
Complete Scoundrel has two useful skill tricks for this. Conceal Spellcasting (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/trick:conceal-spellcasting) lets you, well, conceal your spellcasting with a Sleight of Hand check. The Rules Compendium allows you to do this without the skill trick, which shows you how on-the-ball WotC is. And False Theurgy lets you cast a spell that appears to be a different spell of the same level.

As for the latter option, I don't know. You seem to have a pretty good start already.

ryzouken
2010-07-09, 04:21 AM
Secret page and a contingency should get the second done. Use Secret Page to make the scroll read as some other scroll, and set the contingency to trigger on the scroll's triggering phrase, dropping a Summon Monster or Ice Assassin et al.

The others have covered #1.

Runestar
2010-07-09, 04:24 AM
2nd seems more like some custom cursed magic item.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-09, 06:09 AM
Secret page and a contingency should get the second done. Use Secret Page to make the scroll read as some other scroll, and set the contingency to trigger on the scroll's triggering phrase, dropping a Summon Monster or Ice Assassin et al.

The others have covered #1.

The problem is if it reads as another spell then generally they'll fail to cast the initial spell, as, the verbal components in theory would be different. RAW there might not be a difference at all.

Bayar
2010-07-09, 06:27 AM
Silent stilled invisible spells. Where's your counterspell now ?

Jack_Simth
2010-07-09, 06:44 AM
Silent stilled invisible spells. Where's your counterspell now ?
Greater Dispel Magic. Or maybe Wall of Force.

Kylarra
2010-07-09, 08:12 AM
Silent stilled invisible spells. Where's your counterspell now ?The universal counterspell of orb of fire to the face! :smallfurious:

Ashiel
2010-07-09, 10:47 AM
The universal counterspell of orb of fire to the face! :smallfurious:

Heheh, I was going to say lightning bolt! :smalltongue: