PDA

View Full Version : What Boons to grant a party of level 4 (3.5)

Grifthin
2010-07-09, 05:05 AM
Hey all, as part of our campaign I want to offer our characters some incentive to serve Mephistopheles (they will be meeting him soon). They are level 4 so I want to grant each of them a boon as a taste of some of the power to come. The campaign is fairly unoptimized. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

For the Ranger - A boon of speed, he can now make all his attacks after moving/charging.

For the Sorceror - A new level 2 spell, the boon of knowledge.

For the psion - I have no idea. What do you guys think I can offer him ?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-09, 05:15 AM
More power points aren't a half-bad idea. That or another power known, if you don't mind some overlap.

ex cathedra
2010-07-09, 05:21 AM
So, the ranger gets to full-attack as a standard action, and the sorcerer gets... a second level spell? It seems a bit one-sided. You could give the sorcerer(/psion) an additional spell per day(/power points per day) for his highest spell level, or even all of his spell levels. Or you could give him an extra spell/power known every two levels or something. Anything that scales, really. The boon that the ranger will receive can help him through-out his career, whereas an extra second level spell becomes significantly less useful rather quickly.

Tshern
2010-07-09, 05:26 AM
So, the ranger gets to full-attack as a standard action, and the sorcerer gets... a second level spell? It seems a bit one-sided. You could give the sorcerer(/psion) an additional spell per day(/power points per day) for his highest spell level, or even all of his spell levels. Or you could give him an extra spell/power known every two levels or something. Anything that scales, really. The boon that the ranger will receive can help him through-out his career, whereas an extra second level spell becomes significantly less useful rather quickly.
Bear in mind that the Ranger is by default worse than the two casters in question.

ex cathedra
2010-07-09, 05:29 AM
Potentially, of course. If the campaign's 'fairly unoptimized', the sorcerer very well be casting nothing but Magic Missiles.

Tshern
2010-07-09, 05:50 AM
Potentially, of course. If the campaign's 'fairly unoptimized', the sorcerer very well be casting nothing but Magic Missiles.
True, but then again, that means the Ranger is probably not doing that well either.

Grifthin
2010-07-09, 05:55 AM
Well I thought the Level 2 spell was nice because sorceror's get such a limited selection, also the ranger is only making 1 attack on average the whole time which means he's not doing much. This is just a taste of power, so if they work for him more ofcourse they will get more feats/spells/powers/abilities. Besides things like Glitterdust/Invisibility stay useful throughout your career, so I think dismissing a second level spell just like that isn't entirely fair. What do you think would be a better fit though ?

As for the psion - they have a golem that acts as a crystal that stores powerpoints (don't ask) so I don't want to give him access to even more power points.

Morph Bark
2010-07-09, 05:57 AM
For the Ranger - A boon of speed, he can now make all his attacks after moving/charging.

I presume he is TWF, so just make that "charging", a.k.a. give him the pounce ability. Later on he could get something like being able to attack with both weapons as a standard action, or get Spring Attack.

Sorcerer sounds good. The Psion could get an amount of power points equaling the Sorcerer's spell (3 pp for a 2nd-level spell) or the benefit of a Psionic feat (though that'd be more fair if you'd give the Sorcerer a Reserve feat or the like).

Psyx
2010-07-09, 06:00 AM
Ranger wins!

How about giving the sorc a permanent DC modifier on saves or something?

Or...

Ask THEM what they want.

Grifthin
2010-07-09, 06:05 AM
Hmm - what would be a good feat for a Healing/teleportation based Psion ?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-09, 06:58 AM
A mantle. Life/Time would be handy. They'd tap on the granted ability and maybe get a power, plus the slightly expanded list.