PDA

View Full Version : Who Ya Gonna Call? [nWoD] [IC]

Tome
2010-07-09, 05:06 AM
21:21 PM, 21st June, 2010.
Battersea Park, London (51.482521,-0.156696 on Google Maps).

It's the longest day of the year, and the sun has only just set. As the shadows grow and merge together, London is unusually quiet. It's been a long, hot day and most people are far too tired to be out and about, for once. The forecasts are saying something about a record heatwave, and they may be right for once.

Battersea park is deserted, and the Thames, for the moment, clear of traffic. The birds nesting in the trees sing their sweet songs... before falling unnaturally quiet. There, in the river, something moves.

=========================================

Yes, I do have an exact location for where this is taking place.

I've changed the weather around a bit, to suit the plot. Assume that it has, in fact, been really really hot. About 39C or so.

Six of you are in the river, two are nearby on the banks.

Edge
2010-07-09, 05:45 AM
The sun sets, and you wake. You know that tonight will see little done - it's the shortest night of the year, and you will need to feed quickly or risk going hungry for another night.

But you fail to wake where you slept. This isn't Amy's Basement!

You're underwater, somewhere. The river is murky, and smells heavily polluted. Above, you can make out the surface. The sun has set, fortunately. Floating in the water nearby are more bodies - no, people! They're still alive, or at least ambulatory!

Dominic flails around for a moment, the Man panicking as it forgets for a moment that it can no longer drown. But then reason reasserts itself, and Dominic takes a moment to collect himself and review the situation.

After a quick judgement, he kicks his way over to the nearest figure, grabs them, and heads towards the surface of the river.

=============================
Spend 1Vitae to wake. Will take me through the next four days thanks to Coil of Blood 1.

Spend 1 Vitae to gain +2 Strength this turn.

Roll to surface: 4 (Strength) + 2 (Athletics) - 2 (Difficulty for self and other)
[roll0]
===============
Health: 8
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Willpower: 6
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Vitae: 5/11

Malfunctioned
2010-07-09, 05:51 AM
Life returns to your body, your eyes open and you draw another breath. Or you try to, at least.

You're floating in a river, the surface hanging above you. Dim light shines down, and you know that the sun has set. The waters are murky and polluted. You need to get to the surface, to breathe!

Trent blinks quickly, attempting to get a grip on the situation. He attempts to swim to the surface to grab a breath, hoping to grab enough air to return under to help out of the other bodies.

[roll0]
If I make that one then this to return and pull up another.
[roll1]

Edge
2010-07-09, 06:29 AM
Correction: the +2 Strength is for that dice pool only. Also, rolling again for the 10 I got.
[roll0]

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-09, 07:09 AM
Joe's eyes pop open, his strange vision fading from his mind a bit - but just a bit - and he winces at the sting of the polluted water. To his credit as a detective, even as his reflexes force him to panic and struggle in the direction of buoyancy, his not-quite-bullet-pierced forebrain is making a note - why are there so many people floating in this river?

To his credit as a human being and former policeman, his next rational thought is to try and support one of them as he frantically kicks upward.

Let's goooo two successes!

Strength+Athletics: [roll0]

Well ****, at least I have extra lives.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-09, 07:59 AM
Maybe the decision to walk it wasn't a good one. It's hot, even by your standards. Wasn't England supposed to be cloudy with lots of rain?

You're walking through Battersea Park, right along the the path that borders the Thames, heading for Chelsea Bridge. According to your map anyway. It seems quiet, save for the birdsong. Then that stops as well. Something isn't right.

You see something splashing in the river, and you get a familiar chill down your spine. Looks like you might need that gear sooner rather than later.
Undoing his coat to allow a bit more breeze through, regretting the nature of his clothing to conceal his holster, Roger shook his head and folded the map back up, returning it to his backpack, tucking it beside his goggles. At hearing the splashing, he turned and moved to the barrier, peering over at what was making the noise, his hand reaching under his coat for reassurance as he felt the chill.

Seeing heads break the surface, Roger jumped the barrier and slid down to the waterside, ready to help drag people to safety.

The Kings Raven
2010-07-09, 09:37 AM
It's late, but the sun has only just set. Today has been far, far too hot.

You find yourself in Battersea park, trying to cool down. Trying to get things sorted in your head. Inspiration and Mania, so new and yet so familiar, swirl about inside your skull.

And then your SPG spikes. And all the birds suddenly stop singing. A huge spike, bigger than anything you've ever seen before, just came from the river. It only lasted for a moment, but there are more signals from the same place. Not quite so strong, but still bigger than any normal Ghost should be expected to leave.

Transient is a Genius, he has powers beyond that of mere mortal men and with such powers comes responsibility, Obligation. As field agent of the famed Phantom Foundation it fell upon his shoulders and superior mind to guard the pubic against horrors from beyond the grave.

Which is why when his equipment detected the largest spike of phantom energy Transient had ever seen he knew that the smart thing to do was to move quickly in the opposite direction and call for backup. Yet the right thing to do was to travel towards the river. He did make a quick call as he moved, if the worst happened at least the Foundation would know.

And so he found himself watching four people breaking the surface of the Thames. Though Transient was tempted to dive in he’s crazy, not stupid and knew better than to jump when carrying heavy and above all very electrical equipment. Perhaps there was a lifebuoy around, or even some rope.

Looking for something to throw: Wits + Composure.
[roll0]

Scanners usually don’t need a roll, but just in case someone is trying to hide: Wits + Computer + Core Modifier
[roll1]

Fishy
2010-07-09, 09:51 AM
Brandon's band was never very successful, but every now and again they would put on a spectacular show, for their standards, and the after party would stretch on to the small hours. This is not the first time that Brandon has woken up somewhere without really being sure how he got there.

It is, however, the first time that it was the ****ing Thames.

Never the most coordinated person, particularly right after waking up, Brandon thrashes through the dirty water in the vague direction of the surface.
Spending a Willpower point because Brandon's Athletics sucks and I'm not keen on dying before the game starts. [roll0]

Kythorian
2010-07-09, 11:32 AM
Life returns to your body, your eyes open and you draw another breath. Or you try to, at least.

You're floating in a river, the surface hanging above you. Dim light shines down, and you know that the sun has set. The waters are murky and polluted. You need to get to the surface, to breathe!

Thomas jerks as he begins to cough to expel the small amount of water he had breathed in, but forces his mouth closed.

Well, I guess this was marginally better than being on fire, and apart from the beginning to drown thing, he actually felt pretty good. Apparently the charred man had been good to his word, though why he had dumped Thomas in the river was certainly strange. Maybe to counter the being on fire thing...Well, he should probably worry more about getting to the surface and figure out what had happened later.

By now he had determined which way was up, and Thomas began to desperately kick towards the surface. As he went up, he saw other people in the water, but he needed to get a breath first. He could return for them once he wasn't drowning himself.

Str 3 + athletics 2 = 5 dice
[roll0]

ninja_penguin
2010-07-09, 01:02 PM
David Walton, Grimm Navigator

The last thing that David could recall, he had been settling down for a nap to get out of the mid-day heat and settle down to cool off in a place that nobody would bother him at.

Suddenly awake in the Thames, he decided that this was a bit too much of a cool-down. "Bloody-blub" he started to shout, before the thames trying to rush into his mouth changed his mind, and he began to paddle in what he hoped was up.

I think I'll toss willpower out here to make sure that I can not drown right away as well.

[roll0]

Tome
2010-07-09, 03:04 PM
With a flurry of panicked swimming and impromptu cooperation, everyone manages to avoid drowning.

Trent saves Joseph, dragging him by the arm to the surface. Dominic, unconcerned by lack of air, grabs the other arm to help. Roger helps those who make it to shore haul themselves onto the bank. In a few moments, everyone is safe. Tired, soaking wet and confused, but safe. For a moment.

The air is hot and still, and the birds remain silent. Something still feels off, but no obvious threat presents itself.

====================================

Everyone survived. Yay!

Not that I expected any of you to actually drown. This time.

I'll give you a few moments for introductions before we move on to the next bit of panic.

EDIT Oh, and can everyone who was in the water make a quick Stamina+Resolve roll to resist poison? Except Dominic, he's fine.

And can all the Sin-Eaters make a Wits+Occult+Psyche and a Wits+Composure roll as well whilst we're at it.

Edge
2010-07-09, 03:17 PM
Dominic helps haul Joseph on to land, and staggers forward a little to get himself away from the water. He stands up straight, extending to his not inconsiderable full height. His hair, which normally would be greased back, hangs soaking and limp from his scalp. Likewise his clothing, all just expensive enough to (under normal circumstances) be impressive is completely ruined, aside from his watch, designed to be water resistant. Despite his bedraggled appearance and all-too pale complexion, his steely eyes retain their piercing quality.

He tries to speak, but only water expels itself from his mouth. For the next few moments, Dominic tries to make a good show of coughing and spluttering.

Kythorian
2010-07-09, 03:46 PM
Upon reaching the surface, Thomas spends several moments coughing to try and clear his lungs and focusing on staying above water. By the time his coughs die down, he looks around and finds that everyone has already made it to the surface and some are already making their way to the shore.

Thomas joins them, quickly swimming to the shore and dragging himself a couple of feet out of the water. There he slumps back and watches as the others emerge, looking at them as carefully as he can in the dim light between his own continued coughs.

Once the last one makes their way to the shore, he says in a voice that appears more annoyed than anything, "****...So who the **** are all of you, and what were we doing in the river?"

Description

Thomas is a slightly above average height young man with sandy blond hair and dark brown eyes. His most distinctive feature is a large, but old looking, burn scar which spreads from below his shirt up across the left side of his neck and face. The worst of the burn covers his left cheek from between his jaw across the left edge of his mouth and the edges of his ear. It reaches to just above his temple about three or four centimeters above where the hairline on the left side of his head used to begin. No hair grows in that area now, and his close cut hair does nothing to cover the fact.

Apart from his burn, his skin seems fairly pale, and it is clear that Thomas has had his nose broken multiple times. Thomas is also fairly muscular, though not so much that he would particularly stand out.

Fishy
2010-07-09, 03:53 PM
Brandon flounders his way to the shore, and hauls himself out. The rocker is tall and lanky, with curly black hair just a shade too long, several day's stubble on his chin, and a standard-issue black T-shirt with ironic white text. ("Magnets: How Do They Work?")

As he drips, he slowly becomes aware of his surroundings- and then the waterlogged, circuitboard-green guitar hanging around his neck. "Oh no. No no, no," he frantically mumbles to himself, and throws himself into a frenzy of adjusting knobs, plucking strings, and turning the device over and over, looking for cracks and dents.

Resist poison: [roll0]

Brandon will spend a point of Mania to Understand Technology, and check the Gibson for water-damage. Any Geniuses present automatically detect him channeling Mania.

Malfunctioned
2010-07-09, 04:09 PM
Trent crawls onto the bank, his blond hair hanging slightly over his face. The only clothes he wears are a dull green t-shirt that is ripped in various places, a pair of pale jeans and ruined converses, none of these items of clothing had probably encountered water in the last couple of months until now. He looks over to Joseph.
"You all right mate? Haven't seen you in a while."
He coughs loudly, spraying water onto the grass in front of him.

4d10
1d10
4d10

Malfunctioned
2010-07-09, 04:12 PM
(Damn roll things)

Stamina + Resolve [roll0]
Wits + Occult + Psyche [roll1]
Wits + Composure [roll2]

ninja_penguin
2010-07-09, 04:22 PM

David just sputtered for a moment or two, looking at the assembled group of people, the Thames, and rubbing the top of his head looking bewildered. He turned toward Bradon as he felt the now semi-familiar feeling of mania being channeled, and extended his mechanical hand for a handshake. "I don't think I've had the pleasure." David said.

OOC:

David is a slightly taller man with green eyes and brown hair. He sports a general bit of stubble as if he always is walking around with a 5-o-clock shadow, and wears a lighter long-sleaved coat, despite the heat. His left arm is perfectly normal, but the hand you can see from his coat is a mechanical replacement that doesn't seem to make sense. It has the general hand shape and jointed fingers, but an excessive amount of exposed wires, rods, and gears can be seen inside whirling and twirling about seemingly on their own accord as the fingers move restlessly.

[roll0]

The Kings Raven
2010-07-09, 06:00 PM
Recognising the feeling of Mania Transient heads to introduce himself to his Peers. “My name is Transient and I wish I could introduce myself without dire warnings but your appearance coincided with a massive surge of PKE centred upon the river not far from you're point of origin.”

“If you have any Katastrofi or Prostasia keep it close to hand, even if your abductor doesn't return most of the people dragging themselves out the river share their bodies with something much stronger than the average ghost.”

“If I may, I have experience in these matters”

With that Transient lowers his goggles and turns towards the nearest of the “Phantoms” climbing from the river. “I am Transient of the Phantom Foundation”. I know you are of the afterlife, what are you're intentions?

Ah the customary cross splat suspicions. Fortunately Transient is wearing mind-reading goggles which, if this roll goes well, should prove we're all on the same side. Or at least not planning to kill eachother at the first opportunity.
Wits + Academics + Speciality + Core Modifier. To resist: Resolve + Power Stat.
[roll0]
Ok, I wasn't expecting that. It was only supposed to be a lie-detecting scan to prove we didn't need to fight lol. Technically this means that I could do a deep mental scan without permission but feel free to ask me OOC not to.

Transient has a tall and narrow, some might say slightly undernourished build atop which he wares the customary grey uniform of the Phantom Foundation. Of course the uniform isn't particularly noticeable compared to the Wonder of electric generators and control circuitry he wares on his back. Facially he has receding back hair and a neatly trimmed moustache.

Malfunctioned
2010-07-09, 06:11 PM
"Phantom?"

A few images and memories bubble to the surface. A large theatre, the crowd consisting of hundreds of copies of himself. The man made of mirrors bowing and beckoning to Trent to come onto the stage. The contract that he signed with a quill too large to be anything but a prop. Trent knew their importance but couldn't quite place them.

Something spoke from inside his own head, in a voice that sounded like glass being broken.
"No we are not a Phantom. We are so much greater. Just let me show you."
Trent ignored the voice, pushing it the back of his mind.
"What the hell are you talkin' about?"

The Kings Raven
2010-07-09, 06:47 PM
“I am talking about you. Both of you.”

“I can see you're breathing and you're still giving off more PKE than any ghost I've met. What are you, what are your intentions and what is your relationship to the man formed of mirrors?"

Malfunctioned
2010-07-09, 06:57 PM
"Of course I'm bloody breathing! I bloody alive aren't I?"

More images cross his mind. The syringe entering his arm. The pain as his heart gave out. The man made of mirrors so close to his face that he could see his own reflected hundreds of times. There was a weight in his pocket, he reached a hand inside and drew out a small hand mirror. He stared into it briefly and then dropped it onto the floor as he recoiled in horror.

What could of happened to his face to have it damaged like that? How could he ever get another job when injuries such as those? He tentatively picked it up and looked again and tried to touch his wounds but he found none, only the smoothness of his own skin. Then the reflection spoke. The voice rang out, but only inside his own head.

"Do not fear me. I am the Shattered Thespian. I saved you. We are one."

"I don't know what the hell I am. Or who the Shattered Thespian is."

Fishy
2010-07-09, 08:03 PM
Once he catches his breath, Brandon puts down the guitar for long enough to shake David's hand- if it started acting up, he could tweak it back into working order later. Probably.

"Being dumped in the ****ing river? Don't know if I'd call that a pleasure, mate. Brandon," he offers, and then seems to notice the mechanisms whirring between his fingers. "... What?"

Transient's explanation doesn't really help, either. "Katastro-what?" Come to think of it, weren't they a band?

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-09, 08:22 PM
Aaaaah so late.

Stamina (2) + Resolve (2) = [roll0] (Success)
Wits (3) + Composure (2) = [roll1] (Failure)
Wits (3) + Occult (-3) + Psyche (1) = [roll2] (Success)

Coughing and sputtering, Joe manages to mutter out a thank you before wandering back to the bank for a second and looking for something - which is fortuitously floating within reach. As he calms down his breathing, the slight, dark-haired man lies on the bank and wrings out the hat he just retrieved from the water. It was likely to survive, though the same could likely not be said for his suit.

Turning around, he has several questions, but starts with one addressed to the strange man with the scientific-looking equipment. "PKE?"

Kythorian
2010-07-09, 08:30 PM
Tomas glances between Trent and David as they ignore him and shrugs to himself. Typical, if annoying. And at least they seemed to be ignoring each other as much as him, for the most part. He leaned back on his arms on the bank of the river and continued watching for a few more moments, hoping something would happen that would make all of this make sense. Certainly the guy with the robot arm wasn't making any more sense than anything else. Maybe he was actually dead, and the afterlife was just much weirder than he had imagined.

He perked up when Transient showed up and started talking. He seemed like he might know something. But as he said his bit, Thomas just grew more confused. PKE? Katastrofi or Prostasia? What the hell was he talking about?

It was when he mentioned a ghost sharing bodies that Thomas noticed it. The crackle of flames in the back of his mind, which Thomas immediately realized had been there since he had awoken in the river, but had been too preoccupied to notice. But now it rose from the faintest sound of a distant camp fire to...was that laughter? It sounded like the sound the charred man had made when he had laughed, actually, but still didn't tell him anything.

After listening to Trent and Brandon, Thomas says, "Don't really know what the **** you are talking about, but my intentions are to figure out what the **** is going on. What do you mean share our bodies with something stronger than a ghost? Ghosts don't share bodies...I have heard of them possessing someone, but I'm not convinced that isn't a legend, and I'm certainly in full control of myself. Either **** off or explain what the hell is going on.

Thomas pulls out the soaked pack of cigarettes from his pocket and curses under his breath as he drops them beside him.

Resolve 2 + Psyche 3 = 5 dice for resistance pool
[roll0]

thats weird...my roll didn't work. Ok, attempt 2:
5d10

Kythorian
2010-07-09, 08:32 PM
Since apparently it doesn't like letting you edit and do a roll(i assume)..lets try this again:
[roll0]

Chineselegolas
2010-07-09, 09:02 PM
Hearing Transient declaration of ghosts, Roger stepped back from the others, checking his pistol was still in place beneath his coat before grabbing a pack of only slightly damp cigarettes out, offering one to Thomas.
"You seem to know a lot about ghosts, but i've never heard of Katastrofi or Prostasia, so I'll ask you this" turning to look up at Trasient, "Who is the Phantom Foundation" as he started to make his way back up to the walkway

[roll0]
And the only chance of me succeeding is exploding 10 again so may as well roll it all and hope for the best
[roll1]

Kythorian
2010-07-09, 09:18 PM
Thomas stands up as he sees Roger offer him a cigarette. He accepts it and nods his thanks to the man, then sighs as he remembers the thugs taking his lighter. Maybe they had dropped it beside him after they set him on fire, but he had been a little too preoccupied to notice. Certainly whoever had dragged him here had not bothered to return it to his pocket.

So he begins ask Roger for a light, but cuts off as he hears the words, "Just concentrate on calling my lighter." emerge from the sound of flames which still persisted in the back of his head. Thomas frowns to himself, but looks down at his hand, surprised to find a burn scar in the shape of a four pointed star on the palm. But that kept his attention for only a moment, and Thomas hesitantly focused on the memory of the lighter the charred man had burnt him with. Immediately it appeared in his hand.

Thomas muttered to himself, "That is ****ing awesome..." before shaking himself and looking back up at the others as he lit his cigarette.

Oh...and for any sin-eaters, the book says that keystones are recognizable by any other sin-eater because of the almost palpable aura of death around them. This might be especially interesting since none of us have any idea what that actually means.:smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-10, 12:10 AM
Not even going to roll against the goggles, just consider this whole narrative audible I guess.

Joe has, thus far, been sitting back taking mental notes. Five 'victims', three rescuers who didn't seem to know each other. One scientific researcher using unfamiliar terms, one man with a sophisticated prorthetic, one American. The others from the river were harder to peg, but the tall man and the thin man looked familiar somehow. He'd need to get depositions from everyone...just as soon as everyone calmed down.

These thoughts run through Joe's mind, along with the strangely out-of-place feeling of amused curiosity sitting behind his mind somehow, helping him to keep his own cool.

That is, until Thomas calls forth his lighter, and his emotions are supplanted by fear at the sense of the death he just avoided, while those that aren't his become delighted, childlike wonder at the sight of a friend - or rather a literal kindred spirit, but the Blood-stained Innocent has a fairly simple view of things.

While Joe is struggling to reconcile this, he asks Thomas a question. "Did a strange person just give that to you?"

The Kings Raven
2010-07-10, 04:05 AM
And so Transient found himself in the centre of an inquiring group. Their confusion was genuine enough and their intentions were honest: figure out what is going on, he could respect that. Transient raised his goggles: it was time for exposition. First his fellow Genius.

“It's Katastrofi. This must be the first time you've met another like yourself, when we have a moment we'll explain everything and introduce you to our little community. We never leave one of our own ignorant of themselves, you can depend on that.”

Next he turned to Tomas and the other Sin-Eaters. “You're quite right. Ghost's don't share, they possess and it is no legend. I have seen it with my own eyes. PKE is the standard measure of phantom energy and the three of you are brimming with it but I'd hypothesise this is no possession. Three phantoms, each should be easily capable of taking control and none have made the attempt. I know phantoms and that is unusual enough to say they simply can't take control, I'm certain of it.”

“I was able to detect something in regards to a contract on sorts.” At the word detect Transient makes a quick gesture towards his goggles. “A metaphysically binding contract would explain the phantom's passive behaviour so, ahem, congratulations. The three of your have a working partnership with a powerful being. Scepticism is natural but in the spirit of rational enquiry I would recommend that introductions with you're new partner in order. If you keep an open mind you will see that I am correct.”

Finally Roger had asked a question. In response Transient quoted the official line:

“The Phantom Foundation is a particular scientific institution dedicated to the study and when necessary banishment of all things undead.”

Transient handed over a business card with contact details should anyone wish to hire the Foundation's services in banishment. He hoped this line of conversion wouldn't go to far, it was a delicate balance remaining pubic enough to get hired yet not public enough that havoc inducing mortals didn't beet down the doors demanding to talk with deceased loved ones.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-10, 05:56 AM
"My line of work is somewhat similar, perhaps we can discuss details at a later time time" Roger replied, taking the card and tucking it into a pocket.
Swinging his bag onto on arm, he then opened it, removing his goggles, trusting that the appearance of Transients goggles they were much more normal. Putting them on his forehead, and putting his bag back on his back, pulled them down and flicked on the Etheric filter and looking over those still down at the river-side.
"I will agree with ghosts not sharing. They find something and latch on, making it theirs, causing all sorts of problems."

What do I see when I look at the Geist? Do they have a presence in the Twilight?

Edge
2010-07-10, 06:25 AM
Dominic finally coughs the last bit of foulness from his lungs and begins listening to the passing conversation. When a break shows up, he takes his turn to speak.

"Well, this is all very well and good, but I'm personally more interested in how I made it here into the river from the East End whilst I was asleep."

Edge
2010-07-10, 06:31 AM
Also, rolling to use Essentiaphagia 1: Hunger for Essentia. Just going to check for presence of ghosts in the area, so only need 1 success, according to pg. 180 of Ordo Dracul.
Wits + Occult + Essentiaphagia: [roll0]

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-10, 07:11 AM
"Okay, can we hold on for a second here?" Joe asks, getting confused and therefore irritated enough to try and take hold of the conversation briefly. "So what you're telling me is that not only did I just have some kind of paranormal experience, but oh, here are these technical gadgets that can tell you exactly what went on? Since when does that happen?"

Still, the memory and continued feeling of a...a passenger in his mind are too vivid to deny. "My name's Joe Lowell, a private investigator. Assuming this isn't mass hysteria we're experiencing right now, my...ah...partner is a young lady whom I'll introduce as Ms. Innocent for the moment," he adds, more politely.

It's at this point that "Ms. Innocent" gives him another metaphorical tap on the shoulder, as if to alert him to some suspicious activity or another. This shows itself as a brief tension shudder, as if someone walked (or floated, as it were) over his grave. "Er, is that...is that you chaps I'm feeling?" he asks of the other river rescuees (temporarily assuming that they're all in the same ghost-boat as he).

Edge
2010-07-10, 07:39 AM
As Dominic calls upon his hunger to seek out the ephemeral dead around him as a test of the words around him, he freezes.

"Why... yes, why don't we go find somewhere where we can sort ourselves out? Get changed out of these soaking clothes and such?"

There is an undertone to his voice that implies that he thinks this is a really, really good idea.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-10, 08:15 AM
Flicking the goggles power off and putting them back into his bag, Roger turned back to Transient saying quietly "Definitely something there that shouldn't be", before turning to Joe. "Well before any of us were born", turning his head in the direction of Dominic and raising an eyebrow. "Admittedly not in as much detail back then but there is so much more to the world which we keep hidden from you. If I wasn't so far outside my jurisdiction, would probably have people here to keep it quiet, and seeing how Transient isn't calling in backup, looks like we show you how deep the rabbit hole goes"

Taking out his phone, Roger asked "Does one of you have a secure location we can meet and continue this discussion, or shall I try and make arrangements for a room at the embassy? At the very least we should do what Dominic suggests and get dry and some color back into your skin." Looking back at his phone, he paused for a moment, "Whats the number for a taxi?"

Edge
2010-07-10, 08:31 AM
"I'd normally have somewhere we could go, but I given I was whisked out of there in my sleep without noticing, I suspect it may be compromised in some fashion."

The vampire glances around, a look a panic slowly spreading over his face, the Beast growling in his mind.

"Listen, I know most of us have questions, myself included, but I can't recommend enough that we get the **** away from this place."

Tome
2010-07-10, 09:02 AM
At this moment, Roger's phone begins to ring. The number is not one he recognises.

Anyone sensitive to ghosts starts getting a really bad feeling.

Kythorian
2010-07-10, 09:12 AM
Thomas looks more closely at Joe after the man asks if a strange person gave him the lighter, but he hesitates long enough in answering that the conversation moves on. Still not quite sure how he should answer the question, Thomas just ignores it and focuses on this Transient person's explanation. He accepts Thomas' business card with a snort.

wits+composure = 6 dice to detect the health of those he sees.
[roll0] Success

But as Thomas begins to pay more attention to Dominic as he speaks, he begins to frown. After listening to what everyone else, he breaks out with, "Probably not a bad idea, but..." Looking at Dominic, he hesitates, then continues, "What the **** are you? You feel...dead, somehow. Are you a vampire, or zombie, or one of those ghost possessed people they were talking about? At least everyone else..." He hesitates as Roger's phone rings and he gets a really bad feeling.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-10, 09:19 AM
Turning and walking a few steps away from the others for a slight bit more privacy, Roger answers the phone, "Roger speaking"

Kythorian
2010-07-10, 09:24 AM
Since I missed Tome's request that we roll these:

Resist poison: Stamina(2)+Resolve(2)=4
[roll0]

wits(2)+occult(4)+psyche(3)=9 dice
[roll1]

already rolled for detect health

Tome
2010-07-10, 09:26 AM
Turning and walking a few steps away from the others for a slight bit more privacy, Roger answers the phone, "Roger speaking"

A man, American by the accent, answers almost instantly. He sounds panicked and angry, and crashing sounds can be heard in the background. "Agent Alexson, where the hell are you?!". A scream, somewhere on the other end, followed by the sound of rapid movement. "Something's gone wrong, get over here immediately!".

Edge
2010-07-10, 09:33 AM
Dominic gives Thomas a weird look.

"What the ****? There's no such thing as zombies, or vampires for that matter! Ghosts, though..."

He makes a show of sighing.

"Listen, my name's Dominic Ainsworth, and I work for West & West's Paranormal Investigation Service. I'm their go-to guy for ghost-related cases for a reason. I'm telling you, we need to get out of here."

What should I roll to determine the quality of Dominic's lie? I assume Manipulation + Subterfuge?

Fishy
2010-07-10, 10:18 AM
Brandon idly twirls Transient's card between his fingers as the Karnacki launches into his helpful exposition. 'Another like yourself'? 'Our little community'?

"Wait... You built all that gear, didn't you? Nice piece of work, there."

Edge
2010-07-10, 10:58 AM
Rolling Manipulation + Subterfuge for the lie.

[roll0]

Edge
2010-07-10, 10:59 AM
And for the 10...
[roll0]

The Kings Raven
2010-07-10, 11:38 AM
To Roger Transient has one simple comment: The Foundation never made a policy to hide the existence of ghosts.

“I did build this, just like I'm sure that guitar is your own work. There's a lot more in common between our creations than you might expect. If you'd excuse me I need to take a look at something.” With that Transient flicks his goggles back over his eyes.

The Kings Raven
2010-07-10, 11:40 AM
Going to start near the residue I saw earlier and work outwards from there. We have a lot of bad feelings, lets see if I can put something concrete to it.
Wits + Computer + Core Modifer
[roll0]

Malfunctioned
2010-07-10, 02:05 PM
Something flickered over Trent's eyes. It was indistinct but noticeable, like static on a T.V.
"You guys feel that?" He asked, looking around, his vision halts on Dominic for a moment.
"Dude....are you....dead?" He raises an eyebrow in question, searching for a while in an attempt to find the right word.

ninja_penguin
2010-07-10, 02:41 PM

David grinned at Brandon "I take it that you're new then." he said, looking at his guitar. "We'll have to give you the long version sometime. The short version right now is something along the lines of 'I'm crazy, you're crazy, but it's okay'. Just don't let just anybody handle that."

David slung up his pair of mad-scienced up nightvision goggles up and over his eyes. "Now let's see what Benny might've seen around here."

OOC:

Not sure I David needs to try and see through Dominic's lie, but here is:
[roll0]

Spending one point of mania to boost Wits by 1 for this roll. Direct scanning with the goggles. If any penalties apply, start chopping dice off from the right.
[roll1]

The following is emergency dice in event of 10s. Dice are assigned from left to right to each ten in order. Any further 10s use the dice immediately to their right.
[roll2]

Edge
2010-07-10, 02:51 PM
Dominic grits his teeth.

"Listen, I am not talking about this here. We really, really need to get the **** away from here."

He pauses for a moment before deciding to take a plunge.

"Okay, everybody listen," the vampire says, raising his voice enough so that everyone in the group can hear. "There are ghosts closing in on us. Powerful, aggressive ghosts. We need to get the ever-loving hell out of their way."

Malfunctioned
2010-07-10, 04:22 PM
"Ghosts? Why the hell should I believe you?"

"Because without me you would not even be speaking these words. I am of the underworld and so are they. Listen to the dead man for he will lead you to your stage." These words crawled inside his mind sunk their claws into him, stopping him from ignoring the speech.

"Fine. Let's go." He said somewhat begrudgingly.

The Kings Raven
2010-07-10, 04:56 PM
“Perhaps, they're certainly not here now.”

To tell the truth with the energy spike over and no one in immediate danger Transient was happy enough to do the sensible thing and head well away from the epicentre.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-10, 05:02 PM
Joe gets a feeling in his mind on the mention of the ghosts heading here...it's more like playful curiosity again, as well as a more serious kind of wondering why they, specifically, are ghosts...but Joe decides to go along with what seems to be the growing consensus.

"Let's at least get inside," Joe says, "My office is within walking distance, unless I drifted farther than I thought."

Wits (3) + Subterfuge (1) vs. Dominic:
[roll0] (Failure)

"Hey," he says to Dominic after thinking for a second and connecting "East End" to his face. "You're that paranormal detective from the Gilead case. Ainsworth, right? Fancy meeting you here..."

Rather than stand to continue the conversation though, he begins walking toward the street in the suggestion that everyone start walking and talking.

Edge
2010-07-10, 05:10 PM
A small smile of relief darts across Dominic's mouth as Joe begins leaving the scene. Dominic follows, and hopes that the others decide to do likewise.

When the PI turns to question him, his expression turns to one of momentary confusion before turning to recognition.

"Ah, yes. Dominic Ainsworth. And you..."

He pauses for a moment as he tries to put a name to the face before him.

"Lowell, wasn't it? Sorry, I'm awful with names."

Tome
2010-07-10, 05:35 PM

No sooner has Transient opened his mouth that a icy wind sweeps across the bank, whipping about the branches of the nearby trees and sending the readings on his instruments through the roof.

Something smashes a tree to the side, the point of impact clearly visible and strangely smoking. Burnt footsteps appear in the grass, tracing a slow but inevitable path towards the group.

An unearthly howl, filled with despair and rage, fills the air.

If you can see into Twilight:
A figure that was once human stalks past the tree it casually batted out of the way. It may once have been a man dressed in fine garb of the 18th century, but it's form has been warped and twisted by over two centuries of death. It's body is distended and freakishly tall, and still consumed by the great fire that claimed it's life along with so many others.

It screams and screams and screams, and you cannot make out any words. It bats at the flames and tears at the chains the wrap around it, chains that encircle every limb, puppeteering it's every move.

=================================

Oh yes they are. :smalltongue:

Roll initiative.

This isn't the only aggressive ghost closing in on you. Just the closest.

Edge
2010-07-10, 05:39 PM
=============================
Initiative: [roll0]
===============
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Kythorian
2010-07-10, 05:44 PM
detect lies:
[roll0]

for any 10's:
[roll1]

With the extra success, i succeed on determining that dominic id lying.

Thomas frowns at Dominic. There was definitely something off about his words. But maybe that was just his own feeling that the guy was dead. Oh well...As weird as it was, it wasn't much worse than everything else that had happened tonight. He would just keep his eye on the man until he figured out what he was. Regardless, he was right about something being very wrong with this place. They should get out of here and they could sort things out later. He began to follow the others as they move away from the river, making especially sure to keep Dominic in his view.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-10, 05:44 PM
[roll0]

Joe is scared. He's scared because he's not scared of the ghost - it doesn't even phase him. That feeling in his mind of a passenger becomes more like that of synchronization as the Geist in his mind gets more serious. He instinctively reaches for the brass knuckles in his pocket, but the feeling in his mind tells him they'll be useless. Instead, he keeps focusing intently on the spectre, watching its movements, ready to run if needed.

Health [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower [ ][ ][ ][ ]
Plasm 7/14
Defense 2
Armor 1/2 (Bulletproof)

Kythorian
2010-07-10, 05:54 PM
Only several steps away from the river, Thomas hesitates as the wind suddenly rises, trees fall, and the ancient ghost emerges. Thomas' eyes widen as he stares at the thing. This was so much clearer than he had ever seen a ghost before. Always before they had appeared insubstantial and on the edge of fading from view...this one...well, this one seemed like it was fully capable of tearing him apart, now that he thought of it. Thomas began taking a few steps away from the thing, but did not yet break into a run, as he waited to see what the others would do.

damn...been playing oWoD too much...need to remember how nWoD does it. *grin* correct roll below

Malfunctioned
2010-07-10, 06:21 PM
"What. The. Hell." Trent said flatly.

[roll0]

Fishy
2010-07-10, 06:24 PM
[roll0]

Brandon looks back and forth in growing disbelief. "So... I'm crazy, you're crazy, they're possessed, he's dead, and-" Brandon turns to the howling invisible monster. "And that thing is going to kill us all?"

Compulsively, his fingers go to his guitar, gripping it like a totem of protection. He plays a quick, quiet arpeggio, checking the tuning, as the confident grin of the certifiably insane spreads across his face. "Let's rock."

Willpower [ ][ ][ ]
Mania 6/7/10
Defense 3

Kythorian
2010-07-10, 06:41 PM
Initiative(correct, this time):
[roll0]

Willpower[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Plasm: 12/22
Defense 2
Armor: 1/0

ninja_penguin
2010-07-10, 08:07 PM

"What?" David said, startled and turning toward the spot where the trees had fallen.

OOC:

Does the previous active scanning reveal anything about the ghost, or is it invisible to David?

also, [roll0]

Health: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Mania: 3/4 (10)
Willpower: 4/5
Defense: 2

Tome
2010-07-10, 08:18 PM
OOC:

Does the previous active scanning reveal anything about the ghost, or is it invisible to David?

also, [roll0]

Mania: 3/4 (10)

Why would it? You have Night Vision goggles, not any sort of detection equipment. All they do is let you see in the dark.

Unless I've missed something somewhere.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-11, 02:13 AM
"Currently location Battersea Park. Was killing time walking till Embassy was emptied before beginning an exorcism in case of trouble. Will be..." Turning at the noise of the tree smashing, Roger pulled his goggles back out of his bag and put them on, flicking the filter into position. "****, trouble here. Roger out", drawing his pistol and pocketing his phone at once.

Quickdraw for pistol, technically in first round more flavourful to do now. Initiative bonus is only applied in second round, but retroactively.
[roll0]
d10 + Wits 4 + Composure 4 + Firearms (Combat Marksman 1) 4

Health: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower: 6/6
Defense: 1
Armour: 2/3

The Kings Raven
2010-07-11, 02:33 AM
I see it, powerful. seems to be on fire. Transient looks thoughtfully at the river, useful to have if you're burning alive.

Health [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Mania 3/3
Defense 2
Armor 0

Initiative: +6
[roll0]

Scan: Wits + Computer + Core Modifer
[roll1]
Mental Scan: Wits + Academics + Speciality + Core Modifier
[roll2]
For Tens
[roll3]

Tome
2010-07-11, 04:30 AM
[roll0]

Initiative roster:

Roger 21
Transient 14
Compelled Ghost 14
Trent 13
Brandon 9
Thomas 9
Joseph 8
David 7
Dominic 5

Chineselegolas
2010-07-11, 05:52 AM
Taking a few steps back from the Ghost, Roger raised his gun and fired three quick shots into the area which the ghost was, from his silenced gun.
"Organized falling back to the bridge, Dominic thinks there are more of these closing in"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Armour: 2/3
Clip: 9/12 rounds left

Chineselegolas
2010-07-11, 05:54 AM
And there were lots of 10's there, so here are some extra dice for the explosions
[roll0]

Edit:
So success by armour
Armour 0 - Total 15 lethal
1: 10,9,10,9,8,10. 10,10 So 8 from first
2: 8. So 1
3: 10,10,10,8. 9,8 - 6 successes from third
Armour 1 - Total 14 lethal
1: 10,9,10,9,8. 10,10 So 7 from first
2: 8, So 1
Armour 2 - Total 13 lethal
1: 10,9,10,9. 10,10 So 6 from first
Armour 3 - Total 12 lethal
3: 10,10,10. 9,8 - 5 successes from third
Armour 4 - Total 12 lethal
3: 10,10,10. 9,8 - 5 successes from third
Armour 5 - Total 10 lethal
1: 10,9,10. 10,10 So 6 from first
3: 10,10, 9,8 - 4 successes from third

If you want armour 6 or greater, can go through the effort for them if you want.

Tome
2010-07-11, 08:37 AM
The three well-placed shots impact against the unseen body, erupting in plumes of ash and smoke, and the trail of footprints ceases it's advance.

Three more cries fill the air, and three more sets of burning footprints begin to stalk towards the group.

In Twilight:
The fiery body of the ghost is torn apart by the bullets, dissipating into the air by the second shot. The chains linger for a moment, still wrapped around a shape that is no longer there, before they are pulled back, vanishing into thin air.

Three more burning figures, all wrapped in the same ethereal chains, step out from the trees, the chains dragging them step-by-step towards you.

==================================

Badass Normal? Yep.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Initiative roster:

Roger 21
Transient 14
Compelled Ghost2 14
Trent 13
Brandon 9
Thomas 9
Compelled Ghost3 9
Joseph 8
Compelled Ghost4 7
David 7
Dominic 5

The Kings Raven
2010-07-11, 09:06 AM
Three Ghosts and Transient's grenade would have caught them all in it's blast. Until today that was never a problem.

Flicking his generator's online Transient grabbed his rifle and sent an arcing bolt of electricity at the nearest ghost.

Shooting at ghost 2.
To hit / damage: Dexterity + Firearms + Speciality + Damage
[roll0]
If it hits to Immobilise: 5 dice vs Power? It's Strength + Brawl for humans.
[roll1]
for tens
[roll2]

Tome
2010-07-11, 10:03 AM
The bolt of Mania-driven lightning splashes into the ghost in another plume of ash and smoke, but fails to disperse it.

Twilight:
Still warped by the bolt, the ghost stumbles forwards, it's mouth opening frightfully wide as it leans forwards and exhales a jet of thick, noxious smoke filled with glowing embers straight towards Transient!

A plume of burning ash and smoke bursts from the vicinity of the figure Transient shot, aimed back at Transient in a retaliatory burst.

=============================================

That's two Bashing damage to Ghost number two, and he needs to oppose your roll with Power+Finesse.

[roll0]

Which he does easily

And then he'll be using his Blast Numen for two Essence, dealing Lethal damage.

[roll1]

Tome
2010-07-11, 10:06 AM
The gout of ash and flame scorches Transient badly, leaving him badly burnt.

=============================================
And 10s.

[roll0]

So Transient takes 4 Lethal damage. Nasty.

Initiative roster:
Roger 21
Transient 14
Compelled Ghost2 14
Trent 13
Brandon 9
Thomas 9
Compelled Ghost3 9
Joseph 8
Compelled Ghost4 7
David 7
Dominic 5

Malfunctioned
2010-07-11, 10:28 AM
"You need me now. Let me instruct you. You have the Plasm in your veins, feed it outwards. Form me a shell for you to inhabit."

"Fine, but from after this I am calling the shots." He thought, aiming his mind towards the mirror in his hand.

"Ah. You can speak then. I thought this was going to be lonely journey."

Trent shouts out to the others "Guys! Cover me for a bit! He's....I mean I've got an idea!"

Fishy
2010-07-11, 10:48 AM
"On it," Brandon calls out, a swagger of confidence in his voice. He strikes a pose, swings his arm, and blasts out a power-chord that visibly shakes the grass around him.

Brandon spends 1 Mania and activates his Solid Sound Generator, creating a 5' diameter field of... solid sound. Everyone inside the field gains 3 Armor, and can shoot out without penalty. Everyone outside the field that tries to move in has to roll Strength + Stamina - 3, (Or Power - 3 for ghosts), and take 1 Bashing damage.

Roger moved a little away from the group to answer his phone, Joe and Dominic started getting the heck out of here, and so that puts Brandon, Trent, Transient, David and Thomas more-or-less close together. If he can't catch all of them in his Prostasia field, he'll try and protect them in that order. (Sorry Thomas).

Willpower [ ][ ][ ]
Mania 5/7/10
Defense 3
Armor 3

Kythorian
2010-07-11, 10:59 AM
Thomas hesitates for an instant as he sees the ghost spit out the flames and smoke. That looked painful...Oh well...if Trent claimed he had a plan, Thomas supposed he would have to trust him. Thomas certainly couldn't think of anything particularly useful.

Besides, he had already been burned alive and drowned today...may as well go for a hat-trick. Which apparently was being killed by ghosts. He moves over to directly between Trent and the advancing ghosts and takes a defensive stance, if it matters.

I suppose I should officially declare a dodge...doubt it matters unless these things suddenly decide to start trying to beat us to death instead of just breathing fire.

Anyway: with dodge, Defense = 4. Armor is normally 1/0, but +3 with Brandon's thing.

Tome
2010-07-11, 01:55 PM
Twilight:
The chains jerk one the leftmost ghost around wildly and it screams in pain. It's eyes suddenly flaring brighter, it fixes it's gaze on Trent.

Trent needs to make a Wits+Composure(or Occult)+Psyche roll versus the Ghost's Power+Finesse.

[roll0]

Malfunctioned
2010-07-11, 02:14 PM
[roll0]

(Spent a Willpower point for this.)

Tome
2010-07-11, 02:20 PM
Trent feels something poking at his mind, like fingers of flame reaching out of a bonfire and trying to lay a view over his his eyes. Flickering shapes of mist and fire dance in his vision for a brief moment, but he shakes it off quickly.

Initiative roster:
Roger 21
Transient 14
Compelled Ghost2 14
Trent 13
Brandon 9
Thomas 9
Compelled Ghost3 9
Joseph 8
Compelled Ghost4 7
David 7
Dominic 5

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-11, 08:21 PM
The American has a gun, and immediately blasts the 'monster' with it before considering anything else, Joe thinks to himself. Why are clichés always so bloody accurate?

With more ghosts arriving and their attack on Mr. Transient badly scorching the man, though, Joe can tell that this was going to be a fight from the get-go. He notes the chains, though. While the cheerful not-quite-a-voice of the Blood-stained Innocent whispers suggestions on how he can understand the situation better if he lets her help, even his mundane detective sense realizes that those chains are foreign to the ghosts*, controlling their actions. While those could be a natural part of ghostliness as far as he knows (and Dickens, at least, would support the idea), most people are chained up by someone else. Possibly someone nearby.

Joe looks down and notices the small, blood-spattered doll in his hand. Keystone, he suddenly knows. And the mind next to his own tells him what he can do with it.

"I can't do much to fight these ghosts, so I'm going to figure out where they're coming from," he tells Dominic (or whoever's closest to him) and then slips off, holding the Blood-stained Innocent's doll as manifests wthin his body and whispers to him how to stay out of sight of anyone - ghost or otherwise. It's a secret.

*Unless you want me to roll for that.

Activating Stillness Caul and running away slipping off into the trees to try and find the source of those chains.

Stillness Caul Activation + Willpower: [roll0] (applies as a penalty to Wits+Composure rolls to detect him while manifested.) (1 Success)
Dex + Stealth: [roll1] (1 Success)
Wits + Composure: [roll2] (looking for anything suspicious beyond these ghosts)

Willpower [X][ ][ ][ ]
Plasm 6/14
Defense 2
Armor 1/2 (Bulletproof)

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-11, 08:24 PM
10's over on Wits+Composure roll. Take the first two dice, any extras to the right are in case of more 10's.

[roll0] (4 total successes. Gr, just shy of Dramatic.)

Tome
2010-07-11, 08:27 PM
The chains are blatantly an unnatural addition, so no roll for that.

You see nothing unusual anywhere, beyond the burning footprints.

Tome
2010-07-12, 05:00 AM
The final ghost vomits forth another gout of burning smoke at Trent in the same manner as before.

Blast Numen for 2 Essence again, this time at Trent.

[roll0]

Spare 10s: [roll1]

EDIT So that's three Lethal damage.

Initiative roster:
Roger 21
Transient 14
Compelled Ghost2 14
Trent 13
Brandon 9
Thomas 9
Compelled Ghost3 9
Joseph 8
Compelled Ghost4 7
David 7
Dominic 5

ninja_penguin
2010-07-12, 06:18 AM

"Opening fire!" David shouted as he pulled back the sleeve on his jacket, exposing the gun barrel in his arm. Mania flared as he took aim and fired on the closest ghost.

OOC:

Spending 1 mania to load the gun and fire.

Dexterity + Firearms + specialty +5 -1 = 10
[roll0]

In event of 10s
[roll1]

Mania: 2/4 (10)
Shots remaining: 9

Tome
2010-07-12, 05:13 PM
I'll count that as Ghost number 2, who has already taken 2 Bashing. So he takes 1 Lethal.

Next up, Dominic!

Edge
2010-07-13, 05:56 AM
Dominic thinks over his options, which are few. With little else to do, he casts his eyes on the nearest ghost, perceptible as a small glowing orb to his eyes thanks to his earlier use of the Blood, and calls upon his hunger once again.

Using Hunger for Essentia to see the nearest ghost clearly. Need successes equal to its current Essence pool, extended action.

Wits (2) + Occult (3) + Essentiaphagia (1) + 3 (Spent Willpower)
[roll0]
===============
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Edge
2010-07-13, 05:57 AM
And again for the 10, plus some extra in case it keeps exploding. Use leftmost rolls first.
[roll0]

Tome
2010-07-13, 06:04 AM
Yeah... If it's their current Essence pools you need to beat, You're going to need a lot more successes.

They currently have about 8 Essence each.

Roger is up next.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-13, 06:57 AM
Seeing the others open fire to little effect on one of the ghosts, Roger fired two shots into (Ghost 3), then spun his gun loosing loosing another round to aid the massed fire (Ghost 2) as he continued to take measured steps backwards towards the bridge "Transient, fall back, get in cover"

[roll0] + 9 = 2 unless 5+ armour, then 0
[roll1] + 9 = 2 unless 3+ armour then 0
[roll2] + 8, 8 = 5. 4 for 5+ armour, 2 for 6+ armour

[roll3]
Armour: 2/3, Bulletproof
Clip: 6/12 rounds left

Tome
2010-07-13, 07:03 AM
The battered ghost closest to the group is finished off by Roger's quick shooting, while his other two shots blast gaping holes into another.

===================================
Ghost 3 takes four Lethal, Ghost 2 takes five Lethal and dissipates.

Next up, Transient!

Roger 21
Transient 14
Trent 13
Brandon 9
Thomas 9
Compelled Ghost3 9
Joseph 8
Compelled Ghost4 7
David 7
Dominic 5

The Kings Raven
2010-07-13, 02:33 PM
People react in different ways to pain, especially with mania running through their veins. Transient, for the most part, shut down. In a dase he started monologuing in-between gasps for breath.

“I've had worse.”

“No need to worry.”

“That's a lie. I have not had worse.”

Focusing for a second Transient seemed to shiver slightly, a healthy glow crept into his skin. Moving much easier than a man with his injuries should he picked himself up. There were two things to do here: figure out how the phantom had done that, they shouldn't be able to. The second was get out of the firing lines. Maybe not in that order.

Transient passed his grenade to Brandon. “I intend to seek cover, It is unlikely I can survive a second blow like that. Press here then throw. The primary blast area is ten yards and it only affects Phantoms. That's most people here or I'd have used it earlier.

With that Transient set of at a brisk pace, taking care to keep the solid sound between himself and the Phantoms.

Spent mania to boost Stamina for a turn. Pointless really since I'm not rolling but it made good Role-play.

Health [X][X][X][X][ ][ ]([ ])
Willpower [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Mania 1/3
Defense 2
Armor 0

Malfunctioned
2010-07-14, 06:12 AM
"Let's do this thing."

[roll0]

Tome
2010-07-14, 06:43 AM
Aaaaaand it fails. Next up, Brandon.

Malfunctioned
2010-07-14, 07:12 AM
"Hundreds of years of experience and I'm stuck with an amateur struck with stage fright. Is that really all you can do?"

The voice rang out loudly in Trent's head.

"Just shut up."

Fishy
2010-07-14, 01:19 PM
"Fire in the hole!" Brandon yells. They say it on Mythbusters all the time.

Spending 1 Mania to arm the grenade, then chucking it in their general direction. [roll0]

Willpower [ ][ ][ ]
Mania 4/7/10
Defense 3
Armor 3

Fishy
2010-07-14, 01:22 PM
Oh, look at the pretty exploding tens. Shame they don't do anything.

Both ghosts take 3 damage automatically, plus:
[roll0]
[roll1]

And some spares in case of explosions:[roll2]

Kythorian
2010-07-14, 04:51 PM
Assuming they are not all dead:

Thomas gasped as another blast of the flame and ash burst from one of the ghost's mouths and went inches from his shoulder to strike Trent. Well, he had tried to protect him. He still wasn't sure what Trent's plan was though...

For that matter, he didn't know what was going on at all...He had never seen ghosts behave this way, or have these sorts of powers, and why were they being yanked around by the chains wrapped around them? The entire scene, combined with the strangeness of rest of the events of the night made no sense.

A whispered echo of a chuckle emerged from the sound of flames in the back of Thomas' mind. "My power flows through you now. Feel it in your blood. Use it. Draw the power to your eyes to let you see what you are capable of seeing"

Thomas frowned and hesitated, but after Brandon threw the grenade, it appeared that they should be able to succeed in fairly short order. Maybe this...thing...in his mind could help give him some of the answers it had spawned. Maybe...He didn't trust it, but didn't know what else to do.

He concentrated on drawing the strange tingling power he had felt through his veins to his eyes. To enhance his perception and understanding as best he could.

Oracle 2 activation
Cost: 1 plasm
Activation: int(4)+occult(4)+Oracle(3)+keystone(3)=14
[roll0]

for 10's:
rollv[10d10]

Kythorian
2010-07-14, 04:52 PM
rolling 10 because i screwed up on the last post:
[roll0]

Kythorian
2010-07-14, 04:55 PM
5 activation successes
Roll:wits(2)+occult(4)+activation successes(5)+keystone(3)=14 dice
[roll0] (6 successes)

for 10's
[roll1]

This is resisted by the ghost's Resistance. I get 1 question about the ghost per success i get over the ghost's resistance.

For those who can see plasmic energies:

Thomas' eyes begin to glow with a strange white spectral force and a pale mist begins to flow forth from his eyes.

Tome
2010-07-14, 05:01 PM
Resistance time!

Ghost 3 [roll0] <- 3 Successes
Ghost 4 [roll1] <- 1 Success

PM me whatever questions you have. Beware, certain questions may have answers you'd rather not know.

Tome
2010-07-14, 05:04 PM
Time for some exploding 10s!

[roll0]

Tome
2010-07-15, 12:08 PM
One of the sets of burning footprints has closed with Dominic, crossing the final distance in a quick burst of speed. One sleeve begins to smoulder as Dominic is jerked around, before a large impact smashes him backwards, leaving him slightly burned.

Twilight:
The wounded ghost is dragged forwards, ambling towards Dominic. One arm reaches out to grab an arm with surprising speed, holding him in place while it smashes down on him with the second burning limb.

===================================
Let's see, Dominic's Defence is 2, so the ghost rolls six dice of Lethal damage. It doesn't count as actual fire, incidentally, though I will ask for a Rötschreck check. 2 Successes.

[roll0]

EDIT Dominic takes 2 Lethal.

Roger 21
Transient 14
Trent 13
Brandon 9
Thomas 9
Compelled Ghost3 9
Joseph 8
Compelled Ghost4 7
David 7
Dominic 5

Joseph is next.

Tome
2010-07-15, 12:46 PM
And 10s!

[roll0]

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-15, 08:33 PM
Joe shields his eyes from the blast of the SCIENCE! grenade, again wondering where the hell people are getting all these weapons before noticing one of the surviving ghosts drag itself toward Dominic.

Realizing that he's not going to do any good just hiding, Joe makes a dash for the ghost. He focuses in on its shape, it's essence, the strange boundary realm where it seems to exist, until the world around him fades and he's suddenly running in soft shoes with strange essence - the edges clothing? - floating around him, and he can see the form before him clearly as he smashes it with a punch.

Dex (2) + Brawl (2) + (weapons don't count while reverse-possessed): [roll0] (Miss)

God dammit.

Edge
2010-07-16, 05:46 AM
Rolling to resist Rotschreck:
Resolve (4) + Composure (2):
[roll0]

Tome
2010-07-16, 06:19 AM
As Joe's fist swings wide, he feels himself knocked off his feet by a large impact. The smell of smoke drifts into his perceptions and pain shoots through him. Whilst he was distracted, the other ghost managed to get behind him in an impressive burst of speed, smashing him with a burning fist of it's own.

===========================
Joe has a Defence of 2 and an armour of 1, which means 5 dice of lethal damage.

[roll0]

10s: [roll1]

EDIT So 1 Lethal.

Roger 21
Transient 14
Trent 13
Brandon 9
Thomas 9
Compelled Ghost3 9
Joseph 8
Compelled Ghost4 7
David 7
Dominic 5

ninja_penguin
2010-07-16, 01:06 PM

"Get down!" David barked to [whoever is closest and being attacked by a ghost], before taking a shot at the ghost that was assaulting them.

Normal Dice Pool: Dex + Firearms + Specialty + 5 - Core modifier = 10
Taking a -2 penalty in order to try and avoid hitting [person]

Take armor from the right
[roll0] (so 5 successes)

Take tens from the left onwards
[roll1]

Tome
2010-07-16, 03:25 PM
The ghost that was assaulting Joe disperses in a burst of ash and smoke under David's fire.

============================
Only Ghost 3 left. Dominic, you're next.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-16, 08:50 PM
"Thanks!" a slightly embarrassed Joe shouts to David. So much for his physical training...wait did those bullets come from his arm?

Joe feels the sensation of a helpful tap on his shoulder and his instincts take over, moving ghostly Plasm from his body to cover the wound he took.

Spending one Plasm (that's a reflexive thing, right?) to cover up that one Lethal, so it'll convert to Bashing at the end of the scene.

Health [.][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower [X][ ][ ][ ]
Plasm 5/14
Defense 2
Armor 1/2 (Bulletproof)

Edge
2010-07-17, 07:58 AM
Fire? Was it fire? It felt wrong somehow, but still the Beast howled and screamed at it, struggled at the restraints Dominic put on it, tried to break free...

Dominic broke its will with his own, but anger still boiled within his mind. However, it was his own, not that of the Beast. The temptation to ride the wave passed his mind, but he ignored the idea.

He needed to do something. But what? Think.

Others were shooting the ghosts, and standing their ground. Their shots must be working. Hell with it.

Dominic's fangs extend as a growl of his own resonates in his throat. The Ventrue calls upon the blood as he swings a fist at the ghost, hunger beginning to call to him as he does so.

Spend 1 Vitae to heal 1 Lethal.

Spend 1 Vitae to increase Strength for one roll.

Spend 1 Willpower on attack roll.

Attacking the ghost unarmed:
Strength (2) + Vitae boost to Strength (2) + Brawl (2) + Willpower bonus (+3) - Ghost's Defence (take successes from the left)

[roll0]
===============
[X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Vitae: 3/11

Tome
2010-07-17, 05:50 PM
The ghost have a Defence of 6, so you only deal 1 Damage.

Roger is up next.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-18, 02:04 AM
Changing his direction of progress to give him a better line of sight at the finally ghost, Roger unleashed another quick trio of shots, taking care to avoid Dominic.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Defense: 1 (0 as using combat marksman this round)
Armour: 2/3, Bulletproof
Loaded Clip: 3/12 rounds left
Clips:
Etheric: 3/12, 12/12
Standard: 12/12, 12/12

Chineselegolas
2010-07-18, 02:06 AM
Wow, that is a terrible round of shooting...
[roll0]

Tome
2010-07-18, 07:26 AM
Roger's shots pick off the last remaining ghost. It dissolves into ash and smoke like the others, and the oppressive feeling in the air abates somewhat.

After a few moments, the sounds of nature slowly pick back up, the birds beginning their evening songs again. Whatever foul power passed here has left, for now.

Twilight:
The chains binding the last ghost rip themselves away as it fades, travelling out across the river, to the north-east, as the slowly disperse into mist.

========================================
And that's combat over with. All four ghost are down.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-18, 08:27 AM
Joe pants slightly as the ghostly mist covering his wound abates, leaving him with a slight burn.

"I'm new at this whole 'ghost' thing," he says, "But I got the feeling that wasn't normal activity for such old spirits. The chains must have had something to do with it."

He straightens up, adjusting his still-wet clothes to something resembling normal. "Unless anyone's too hurt to go, we should follow."

The Kings Raven
2010-07-18, 09:03 AM
Transient's sudden return to health had left him just as suddenly, but he at least had his breath back.

"You're quite right. That wasn't just abnormal, it should have been outright impossible. Since we were struggling for our lives I'm not sure if you took the time to notice but realistic as it seemed that wasn't fire. It was raw psycho-kinetic energy shaped by a Phantom's memory of a fiery death."

"When Phantom's fight they do so with their own spectral body or by manipulating the surroundings. I'd wager this ability was created by the same unknown persons who forged those chains. I'd be facinated to study their techniques."

That would have to wait, Transient tried to sprint after the chains only to be painfully reminded why he wasn't in any condition to run.

Kythorian
2010-07-18, 09:37 AM
Thomas hesitates, then speaks up. "During the fight...the...well, I did something to try and understand the ghosts and what was binding them. I'm still not sure how, but somehow I knew that the name of the one binding those ghosts with those chains is Tamesas, the Ghost Eater. Does that mean anything to any of you? Oh, and he is running through London somewhere, or was a few seconds ago."

Thomas glances around, then continues, "We should probably get the **** out of here though. We can either follow the directions those chains disbursed into to try and find this Tamesas guy, or at least get away from where he can easily find us and send more of those ghosts to attack us. ****. I don't know. Lets just go somewhere away from here where we can figure out what happened tonight."

Thomas more slowly begins to follow after the limping Transient.

Edge
2010-07-18, 03:24 PM
"I don't know of any Tamesas. Given enough time, I could probably find some information, but I currently have more pressing concerns."

Dominic looks even paler than before, with his fangs now protruding slightly. His eyes have an additional glint to them now - a hungry glint.

"I may have told a lie earlier, but I had my reasons. However, given the... capabilities you all demonstrated in that fracas, I may be able to tell you the truth, thanks to technicalities."

The Ventrue tilts his head back for a second, opening his mouth as he does so, his Beast growling with hunger inside his mind.

"But I must agree with finding somewhere safe for the time being. Somewhere we can begin to make sense of this and get something to eat."

Kythorian
2010-07-18, 05:08 PM
Thomas falls in beside Dominic, though he makes sure he stays well out of arm reach of the vampire. He looks more closely at the now clearly exposed fangs"So you ARE a vampire? Whats your deal? Do you really need to drink human blood? You aren't ****ing drinking mine..." He hesitates, and opens his mouth to say something else, but cuts off and waits for a response from Dominic or someone else.

ninja_penguin
2010-07-18, 05:17 PM

"I agree that we should get out of here." David said briskly, scanning the buildings and skyline around them. "This clearly was not a coincidence."

"I think explanations can wait until we're sure that we're on our own again. I'm sure that all of us seem to have one."

Edge
2010-07-18, 05:20 PM
"Yes, I am a vampire. But speak a word of it to anyone outside this group, and I will ruin your life. And yes, I do need blood. Currently, quite badly. I do try to avoid vigorous activity but tonight's foray has left me somewhat... drained."

Dominic pauses for a moment.

"I have just realised that that was a pun. And a very bad one at that."

Kythorian
2010-07-18, 06:03 PM
Thomas ignores the bad pun and excuse for it. "So...what, you just grab some homeless guy off the street and drain him dry? I'm not really ok with that."

He looks over at David though he keeps his eyes on Dominic as well, "Yeah, we should get out of here, but this ****ing bloodsucker over here just admitted to being a hungry vampire who needs human blood in the near future. And even before the ghosts...you know, back when he was lying about being alive? Even then, he was trying to get us into a private place. Are we any safer in some hideaway with this ****er than with a bunch of psychotic ghosts?"

Edge
2010-07-18, 06:15 PM
"No, I do not 'drain him dry'," the vampire says, his eyes piercing right into Thomas', "I have only been like this for two months, and in that time I have tried my utmost to deal with the hunger. I have yet to kill anyone through feeding, whether intentionally or unintentionally. So I would very much appreciate it if you stopped casting aspersions on my character, sir."

Dominic continues staring at Thomas, making sure to maintain eye contact.

"Now, please be quiet."

The emphasis on the last word is strange and far too focused.

Attempting to use Dominate 1 - Command on Thomas. The command is "quiet". My roll is Intelligence (3) + Intimidation (1) + Dominate (1), opposed by Thomas' Resolve + Power Stat. If I win the roll, Thomas must obey the command for one turn per success I gain over him.

[roll0]

Kythorian
2010-07-18, 06:25 PM
Rolling resistance against dominate:
resolve(2)+Psyche(3)
[roll0] (Tied Dominate successes. Successfully resisted)

for any 10's, from left
[roll1]

Oh, and technically, that should have been at -1 since thomas is walking. Doesn't matter in this case though, since pulling the right most roll off doesn't change the successes.

Edge
2010-07-18, 06:26 PM
Two successes each, so a tie. The Dominate fails. Have a field day. :smallwink:

Kythorian
2010-07-18, 06:39 PM
Thomas gives a derisive snort. "Ah, so because you have been so honest with your claims so far tonight, we should just believe this one? But I guess if discussing your undead nature bothers you, we can discuss other things. Just don't ****ing come within arms reach of me, or I will just go ahead and break your nose to be on the safe side." He gives a tight lipped smile. "Just a friendly warning."

Thomas drops back a pace to make sure that Dominic is several steps to his left as well as slightly in front of him so that he can keep his eyes on him as he also looks around at the other members of the group. "Regardless, we agree that here is a bad place to be. Anyone know where we should be going?"

Edge
2010-07-18, 06:49 PM
"Well, I'm sorry if I don't want to paint a big target sign on the back of head for my elders to take off along with my head because I said to much to a load of mortals!"

The Beast was all but howling in Dominic's ears, striving to out and tear apart the man before it that was so utterly disrespectful.

"But yes, getting out of here is a good idea. Oh, and another thing: breaking my nose whilst I'm like this would probably result in me draining you, quite against my will. Just a friendly warning."

ninja_penguin
2010-07-18, 07:11 PM

"What we need to be doing is getting out of the open!" David said, frustration growing in his voice. "I don't care who's hole in the wall it is or where, we need to get to it! Something's going on way over our heads. Given that we just wasted a quartet of extra-phantasmal manifestations without needing to even to roll out the fancy stuff I'm going to surmise that if we all decided to throw down the only thing left would be a rather fascinating smear left on the walls for the investigators to puzzle over. So I suggest that we quit our pointless postures and get out of here.

Fishy
2010-07-18, 11:21 PM
"Not ghosts," Brandon notes. He fiddles with the dials on his guitar, and the echoes of his earlier power chord finally resolve and fade. "If I'm hearing you right" he adds, with a nod at Transient, "We were just jumped by some dude who makes things out of ghosts. That's pretty ****ed up, mate."

"Come to think of it, what the **** was in those grenades?"

Chineselegolas
2010-07-19, 02:29 AM
As the last ghost disappeared, Roger swapped the clip out on his gun for a full mundane one, before sheathing it. Taking his phone out and dialling the number the last message was receive from, started to wander back where he came from, policing his brass to minimize tracing of the gun.
If the call is answered, by the same voice as spoke before will say "Agent Alexson speaking, four ENE's manifested, controlled by something. Have been dispatched and am now en-route. As the ENE's were dealt with, something heading back your direction"

Turning back to the others, still on the phone, "There is more ghost activity at the American Embassy and I'm heading there to deal with it. Transient, as a local equivalent, your help would be appreciated. The rest of you, if it gets out of hand, and considering the chains headed in that direction, it would be useful to have you along. Does anyone have a car?"

The Kings Raven
2010-07-19, 03:55 AM
"You were not aware that Dominic is a Vampire? I would take his warning seriously, his kind are not always in control of their actions" Transient looks outright sympathetic at this remark. The Inspired know what it means to be unable to trust your own mind. "But feeding on people? Can you really be unaware that Vampires can get their nourishment from animals? I've also heard some of my peers at the Foundation successfully synthesised the unique blood chemistry."

Transient turned towards Roger,

"It's my duty to help with any Phantom related trouble, but I'm afraid I've taken rather a bad hit." He turned towards David "By your arm I assume you have some talent in medicine, dose it extend towards Exelixi?"

Nerd-o-rama
2010-07-19, 04:38 AM
"Being as I live in London, I haven't got a car, but I have got a flat over my office," Joe offers. "I can take everyone who's injured there...it might be best for me to stay out of your capable gentlemen's way..."

He sounds noticibly disappointed in his own suggestion. He wants to help, but next to a gun-arm and ghost bullets, even the eerily cheery silent encouragement of his Geist isn't convincing him he can do much.

Malfunctioned
2010-07-19, 04:53 AM
"Actually...I know I place we could stay, it's not too...fancy but it's got space. I could take you guys there if you want, it's not too far from here really."

The voice of the Thespian is quite now, no booming voice trying to call out his every movement. Trent turns to Dominic.

"So I was right then! You are dead!"

ninja_penguin
2010-07-19, 05:50 PM

David shook his head at Transient's questioning. "This is a little extra bit of mine, but I'm untrained with Exelixi. When we get somewhere safe, I might be able to patch you up a little bit, however."

Fishy
2010-07-19, 08:05 PM
"Dude!" Brandon protests in Transient's direction, "Of course he can 'really be unaware' - No one but you has any idea what the **** is going on, except that apparently," he gestures at Roger, "It's still going on, and people are getting killed."

"Hang back if you have to, dude, but you can't sit this one out. At the very least..." The newly Inspired rocker pauses for a moment, sensing what needs to be done but struggling with the concepts, "Tell us the 30-second version of everything you know about these guys. Give us something to throw at them."

i.e., If you're not in the next fight, make with the techno-babble and transfer over some Mania. :smallcool:

Kythorian
2010-07-19, 08:24 PM
Thomas shrugs uncomfortably. "I have to agree with...Joe, I think you said? Anyway...I may have dealt with a couple of ghosts in the past, but it wasn't ever anything like that...I really don't think that I can do much to help. I certainly didn't do much in the last fight...Hell, Roger did most of it. I guess the guy with the gun...umm...grafted to his arm helped too. But I'm not sure how much the rest of us are going to help. Especially those of us who are wounded." He pauses and sighs. "**** it. They seemed to go after the actual threats anyway, and I want to know what the hell is going on, so I will come with you. Maybe I can do whatever I did last time and learn more about this Tamesas guy. Or thing."

The Kings Raven
2010-07-20, 04:11 AM
“I’m afraid you overestimate me. I know a thing or two about what we all are and I can look up a bit more but as for why we are here and who is responsible for our attack. I am as much in the dark as any of you.”

“I think you’re right; I should hang back for this fight. In thirty seconds? When a Phantom is materialised bullets hurt it as much as any human. If it isn’t so obliging you need to uncover its ‘unfinished business’. This will be tied to a physical object that the foundation refers to as a ‘fetter’. Resolving the business or if it’s possible destroying the object will remove the ghost. Normally ghosts’ cannot travel far from its fetters but I suspect the chains removed this limit.”

After giving his general rundown Transient begins unbuckling his weapon and passes it to Brandon. He walks a bit easier without the weight on his back as he explains the basics of operating his Wonder.

Brandon receives Transient’s last point of mania.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-20, 06:55 AM
"Well, if we are splitting up, give us the address of where you are going and we'll head there are the ghost is dealt with to debrief and decide if we need to do further work." Roger said keeping an eye out for a taxi to hail. "I've been doing this for a while, I know how to take them down, and I have an idea what is going on. From what I have been informed prior to heading here, the ghost we will be dealing with is Native American tied to a spear brought over for display purposes. It never caused trouble in its old resting place, so it is possible whatever cause those which attacked us is behind stirring it up too. This being is the reason I am in your country, so if you all wish to head off and rest up, I'll meet up with you later all things going well."

The Kings Raven
2010-07-20, 07:57 AM
“You misunderstood. I am coming I simply will be staying back a little. Tell me more about this phantom. How mobile is it? If it cannot move far from its fetter then we may be able to safely contain it. It could be a good source of information.”

Fishy
2010-07-21, 01:01 AM
Brandon shoulders his guitar, runs his hands over the ghost-gun, and starts absorbing as much of Transient's explanation as he can. First it simply doesn't make sense to him- then he realizes that it shouldn't be able to work like that- and finally that it doesn't work, and that's why it's so effective.

Thoroughly confused and brimming with creative vitality, Brandon shoves the weapon back into its holster. "Containment, I think we can do. Let's rock."

Chineselegolas
2010-07-21, 01:57 AM
"I don't have any details other than reports the unusual occurrences began when the spear arrived. Is possible it was a coincidence, but when it comes to ENEs, I don't believe in them. Combined with the fact those chains went in the approximate direction. None of the reports detail the Ghost having left the building, doesn't mean it hasn't though."

Malfunctioned
2010-07-21, 03:54 PM
"So what you're saying is that there's an old ghost out there, and from you've just said it's sounds like it'd be more dangerous than the ones we've just wasted, and you wants us to try and destroy it?" Trent bursts out, making assumptions in an attempt to give some facade of intelligence.
And to eat it. We must eat it as well. We must consume it's ripe, undead flesh and gain it's forsaken power.

"And to eat it.....Wait, what?....Just forget that bit, I'm still getting used to this." He looks apologetic. "So, what plans are we going with?"

The Kings Raven
2010-07-22, 04:58 AM
Having ordered a couple of minicabs Transient hangs up his phone. “Eat ghosts? I have not encountered that concept before. In the interests of science would you please ask your partner the details?”

“More immediately I hope we can contain this ghost without killing it. We have the element of preparation and a live specimen could provide valuable insight into who Tamesas is and how he is manipulating phantoms.

Malfunctioned
2010-07-22, 07:23 AM
Thoughts, words and images rush into Trent's head.
"He says...he says it's like why we eat. If it has mater....become solid then we can eat the....corpus? Is that right?....anyway, if we eat it we can regain.....energy? plasma? Whatever it is the lets us do things."

He looks confused.
"Sorry I can't help more, like I said I'm still gettin' used to this."

The Kings Raven
2010-07-23, 02:58 AM
“Fascinating, cannibalism among ghosts isn’t something I’ve observed before. If you do intend to go through with that do you mind if I run some tests during the processes?”

“And do make sure you don’t consume anyone sentient.”

Kythorian
2010-07-24, 04:57 PM
Thomas listens to the others speak, then after a long pause finally says, "You eat ghosts? Thats...thats pretty ****ing sick. Even if it does make us stronger as...whatever the hell we are now, a ghost is still a sentient being. Eating a ghost doesn't seem any better than eating a corpse. Maybe worse...it seems closer to eating a person while they are still alive to feel it. I don't care if it might be interesting for you...scientists, or whatever you are to observe, I'm not going to let whatever is inside me now turn be into some cannibal."

He pauses and focuses on ignoring the roar of the flames in his head. Or was that laughter? It was hard to tell...

He continues, "Besides, those ghosts that attacked us before were being controlled by something. They didn't seem to have a choice in the matter, and I don't think that they deserve something ****ed up like that."

The Kings Raven
2010-07-25, 01:09 AM
“The point is debatable, it is a matter of the ghost in question. A ghost cannot learn or improve but it can degrade, if it's old enough it may degrade well past the point of non-sentience. That is if it started with any Intelligence. I have come across many ghosts that have no awareness at all, existing as though they were a film reel stuck on repeat”

“Over most cultures that practised cannibalism it was only acceptable to eat someone of one's own tribe, 'endocanabalism' if you will. It was considered that eating the dead returned their strength to the tribe and pushing the deceased to the side of your plate was the ultimate insult. Now I have evidence to support these claims.”

“The Foundation is aware of the Underworld and has explored it from time to time. It is neither one's Final resting place nor very nice. I see no reason to assume it is the 'correct' after life simply because it is closer to Christian beliefs. If consuming the dead does draw their 'soul' into some form of collective spirit of humanity passed down the generations through consumption, I can think of worse fates for the eternal soul. We'd have to do something about prions.”

Kythorian
2010-07-25, 07:14 PM
Thomas replies, "So we are determining our morals based off of what some ancient tribal cultures believed was ok? The same tribes that generally thought genocide against any tribe not their own was perfectly fine and that a nice session of rape was a good way to cap off a fun day of pillaging? Seems like perhaps we should gather our moral inspirations for right and wrong from a people not quite so ok with rape and murder. Or do you think that those are perfectly fine activities for an enjoyable afternoon too?

And as for the lack of intelligence demonstrated from some ghosts...does that mean that physical cannibalism against coma patients is ok now? Or maybe babies? Hell...they just crawl around making random noises too. Lets eat them all!

Maybe you should consider if you would like someone to come along and ****ing eat you after you have already gone through the trauma of dying once. Be a little considerate, huh?

****...we can discuss this later. We need to get to this embassy and figure out what the hell is going on."

The Kings Raven
2010-07-26, 04:09 AM
Transient was actually shocked into silence, it wasn't the attack on his viewpoint but rather the sheer alien logic behind it. Did he really really convert dozens of tribes around the world into a derogatory stereotype? Was that actually an Ad Hominem against entire cultures? Babies... did he even know what sentient means? At least there was one argument in there that he could comprehend well enough to respond to.

"I am considering weather I would like to be eaten. The Egyptians believed your heart would be cut out and weighed against the feather of truth. The Christians believed purgatory was practically hell that some must endure to be admired to heaven. The Aztec's believed the dead would endure a horrible four year journey to Mictlan. When I discovered the existence of the afterlife I resolved not to discount these old beliefs until they could be tested. Trials and suffering before admittance to paradise are a common theme, with choices such as these I rather think I wouldn't mind being eaten to become one with mankind's collective spirit. At least it will be over within the hour."

Chineselegolas
2010-07-26, 04:24 AM
"What ever the case is, if they are threatening those still alive, they need to be removed." Roger said, wandering to the roadside "And considering no one picked up at the number I dialled, lives are threatened at this time, so lets leave of this arguing till they are safe."

Edge
2010-07-26, 06:47 AM
"This is all very well and good, but I am afraid I cannot join you at the embassy. In my current state, I fear I would only complicate matters, as well as proving an unnecessary risk.

"However, I do want to know how I ended up in the goddamn Thames, and I believe pooling our resources, such as they are could prove useful in doing so."

Dominic turns from the group and begins walking away.

"If you need to contact me, just look up West & West's Paranormal Investigative Services in the Yellow Pages."

Kythorian
2010-07-26, 08:42 AM
Thomas shrugs in response to Transient. "Well, fair enough I guess. It seems unlikely that many people would agree with you though. Or at least many people from modern Britain. So we should probably respect their likely wishes and...well, not eat them. Unless you happen to have a will stating their preferences towards ghost consumption lying around. Also, you seem to be assuming that these ancient cultures are right...you say you shouldn't discount them, but I don't see why we should assume they have any validity either. Maybe having your ghost eaten shreds your consciousness, consigning you to eternal agony...do we have any way of knowing?"

He nods to Roger. "I wasn't stating that we shouldn't protect the living and defeat them if we are forced to...I was just stating that there is no need to add disrespect to the dead to that after they are defeated..."

Tome
2010-07-26, 05:26 PM
After a few minutes a couple of black London taxis drive along, pulling to a stop nearby. The driver in the lead taxi sticks his head out the window. "None of you would happen to be by the name of Transient, would you? Because we've been getting enough crank calls lately as it is".

Incidentally, if I could have Dominic's actions sent to me via PM now, that would be useful.

The Kings Raven
2010-07-27, 02:44 AM
Transient raises his hand "That is in fact my name." With that sorted out Transient directs the drivers to convey them to the embassy and arranges that the three Inspired travel together. This was as good a time as any to teach Brandon the basics.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-27, 05:58 AM
Getting into the front seat of the taxi with the Geist, Roger put his goggles back into his bag, sitting it on his lap turning to the driver "Howdy Partner, busy evening?"

Kythorian
2010-07-27, 10:29 PM
Thomas climbs into the cab with the other Sin-Eaters and Roger. He sits quietly for the ride unless someone else says something.

Tome
2010-07-28, 03:11 PM
Once everyone is in, the Taxis drive off, heading along the river and across the bridge. The streets are surprisingly clear for London, no doubt thanks to the incredible heatwave of the past few days, but it looks like things are starting to pick up now that the sun has set.

As you draw closer to the embassy, you can hear sirens in the distance. An ambulance speeds past you, coming from the same direction you're heading. Twice the driver has to pull over to let police cars pass. Then you turn the corner and the embassy comes it to view, a police barricade blocking off the building and nearby roads. A crowd is already beginning to form.

The drivers pull over a bit away from the barricade to let you out. "Sorry 'bout that mate, looks like that's as close as we'll be getting" apologises the driver in the lead taxi, "fare comes ta' £19.20".

==========================================

Resources 1 for the taxi fare. That's covering both cabs.

Chineselegolas
2010-07-28, 08:02 PM
"Fair enough" Roger said, pulling out a wallet and sorting through a wad of US currency to find a £20 note. Handing it over and getting out, took a few steps towards the crowd before turning back to the others. "That could pose a problem"

Kythorian
2010-07-28, 09:33 PM
Thomas climbs out of the car behind Roger and joins him, still well before the crowd and police barricades.

He looks over it for a few moments, then says, "Looks like. Even if you have some sort of documentation that would normally give you some authority at the embassy, I don't think the police look like they are in much of a mood to care right now. Any ideas?"

ninja_penguin
2010-07-28, 10:05 PM

"Is it over?" David said, peering around at the gathering crowd. "If it's not, this is going to get very messy very quickly if all these mortals get involved."

"Is there a back way we could sneak in?" David pondered aloud. "Sewers? Any damage from the attack we could use to sneak in?" David paused, looking at the other inspired. "Rig up something to harmlessly but impressively explode a block away?"

The Kings Raven
2010-07-29, 02:44 AM
Transient pulls his goggles down over his eyes. "Lets see what we can from here first"

"Roger is American military and between us we have quite a bit of impressive looking equipment. Perhaps we could pass ourselves as an official response? If the supernatural is overt enough the police will be feeling very out of their depth, sometimes, in time's like this it's amazing what you can get away with if you look official and act confident."

Yay for 1 mile scanning range and free inbuilt binocular functions. Hopefully no roll is needed but if it is:

Wits(2)+Computer(2)+Core Modifier(1) - Wound Penalty(1)
[roll0]

Chineselegolas
2010-07-29, 07:44 AM
"Black Ops teams are well known by comparison." Roger said, reaching into a pocket and pulling out an ID card. "I do have some minor diplomatic access courtesy of my family however. Was planning to try and not use it unless I had to, but it looks like it might be the quickest way."

Tome
2010-07-29, 11:15 AM
What Transient sees:
You can make out bits of residue and some smashed windows, not to mention interiors, but nothing else remarkable.

OOC:
Also, if I can get Wits+awareness checks, particularly from Roger.

The Kings Raven
2010-07-29, 11:30 AM
Transient lifts his goggles. If there's anything still there it is staying away from the windows. I saw lots of damage though.

You mean Wits + Composure?
Wits (2) + Composure(3)
[roll0]

ninja_penguin
2010-07-29, 12:34 PM
OOC:

Wits (2) + Composure (2)
[roll0]

[roll1]

Kythorian
2010-07-29, 03:20 PM
Wits(2)+Composure(4)
[roll0] (2 successes)

10's
[roll1]

Chineselegolas
2010-07-30, 12:23 AM
Pulling out his goggles to have a look and double check Transient hadn't missed anything, Roger quickly scanned over the windows saying "Whats the plan then, just walk up and tell them we are expected inside?"

[roll0]. Ignoring last two dice if whatever it is isn't in Twilight.
Edit: Cool, two successes whichever case

The Kings Raven
2010-07-30, 07:37 AM
"We walk up, you flash some American ID and tell them you're here to solve the problem. The rest of us show off our gear and look in charge.

Tome
2010-07-30, 01:31 PM
Anyone who got at least one success:
Some of the people nearest the barricades are wearing rather dishevelled suits. Considering their outfits, and the name tags with little American flags on some of them, chances are good that they're the embassy staff.

Roger:
You recognise your contact from the picture given to you in your initial briefing. A tall, well-built blonde man with a crew cut and an expensive suit, he's standing next to the barricade, talking with a local police officer.

ninja_penguin
2010-07-30, 11:31 PM

"Hey, looks like some yanks over there." David said, waving in the direction of the clustered group of embassy workers. "Anybody any good at working a crowd for information?"

Chineselegolas
2010-07-31, 09:38 AM
"Hold on a moment guys, think I see my contact. See if you can get anything from the crowd while I talk to him" Roger said walking away from the others to where his contact stood.

"Excuse me, Roger Alexson, I believe I was meant to meet with you." he said, holding his hand out towards the man in the suit

The Kings Raven
2010-08-01, 05:46 AM
"Not even at the best of times" says Transient gesturing towards the nasty burns on his uniform.

Malfunctioned
2010-08-01, 08:14 AM
Trent looked down at himself, his clothes covered up his injuries well enough to leave them invisible without a strip-search.

"I think I could try. Me and The Thespian may have another trick up our....my sleeves."

Malfunctioned
2010-08-01, 04:20 PM
"Well...." He gulps lightly, hoping the instructions that the Thespian had been whispering into his mind would work this time. "Here goes nothing. You guys get ready to follow me once I give the signal."

Trent gets out of the car and straightens his clothes quickly. Following the instructions he focuses his gaze upon the guards and then searches his mind for memories of trusting and happier times, he brings those memories to the fore of his thoughts and then focuses them directly at the guard. Not sure if it had worked or not he adopts a more upright stance and confidently walks out in front of the guards.

[roll0]

Malfunctioned
2010-08-01, 04:28 PM
(Sorry for the triple post guys)

The emotions from the guards mind enter his own as he beings the second stage of the instructions, he now forces those thoughts and shapes them with the trusting and caring thoughts he carried in his head.

(Exploding ten for last time)
[roll0]

[roll1] 2 Plasm spent in total in this scene.

"Hi! I'm Alexander Hope, I'm part of the youth team for the BBC. I'm a bit earlier for the interview but would it be all right if me and my crew-" Trent gestures to the taxi "-just came and set up? We'd keep everything out of the way, it'll just help us and save a lot of time."

(Rolling for that lie there)
[roll2]
Just in case I get another success from that 10 there or any explodings here, I'll be taking them from the left.
[roll3]

Tome
2010-08-01, 04:31 PM
For Roger:

The contact turns away from his conversation with the police officer. "About time you showed up" he grumbles as he shakes Roger's hand, "give me a moment to finish talking to the local police and I'll brief you on the situation".

He walks a few meters away with the officer, behind the barricade. With the din from the sirens and crowd, it's enough that you can't overhear him. After a few moments of hurried conversation with the officer, he moves back to the barricade.

"I've cleared you with the local police. After we're done here, I want you to search the building for further activity before anyone else goes in. Damage control is going to be hard enough as it is without anything else happening". He gestures you past the barricade and towards the embassy. After you're a fair distance away, he reaches into his pocket and the surrounding din subsides into silence. "At approximately 20:15 today an unknown entity entered the embassy, appearing human for all intents and purposes. He somehow made his way past security undetected and entered the room where we were storing the spear before proceeding to remove it from the display case. For some reason, the conventional security systems failed to trigger. Fortunately, we had installed unconventional security measures as an added precaution, which did initiate, alerting embassy security. When confronted, the entity attacked with an array of paranormal abilities, killing most of the security detachment . He then proceeded to exit the embassy, inflicting massive collateral damage before escaping into a nearby alley and vanishing without a trace. Your mission was now been updated to include retrieving the spear and, if possible apprehending the entity responsible".

"Any questions, Agent Alexson?".

-----------------------------------------------------------

For Trent:

The officer turns to look at Trent, a faint but weary smile on his face. "Sure thing, just stay away from the embassy itself. The yanks are still trying to decide if they want to bring in their own CSI or ask for ours. Bit of a diplomatic incident, you know".

He lifts up the police tape blocking the road and waves you past. "Just stay out of the way and I'll see if anyone can talk to you in a bit.".

Malfunctioned
2010-08-01, 05:03 PM
Trent flashes a smile at the guard.
"Thanks for that mate."

You see how they are like pawns to us? We speak and they do.

...You may of helped me out there but that doesn't mean I'm going to be following everything you say.

As you wish. Pawn.

He whistles loudly and waves the rest of the group over.

Chineselegolas
2010-08-01, 09:32 PM
"I encountered four aggressive ENEs on my way here and only dispatched them with some local assistance. Phantom Foundation." Roger said, taking out the card Transient gave him, passing it over, gesturing in Transients direction. "If you could let me know any information we have on them, it would be appreciated. In the mean time however, I would like to have a temporary joint task force, both to draw upon their knowledge, and as this entity sounds suitable dangerous"

The Kings Raven
2010-08-04, 08:22 AM
Transient appears at Rogers shoulder, for lack of anything else to do he had followed his contact for this job. "We're a particular scientific institution dedicated to the study and when necessary banishment of all things undead. Corporate headquarters is near Saratoga Springs. If you find yourself under Phantom attack in the future or want a quote on phantom proofing this embassy you have our card."

"I've already scanned the embassy but I didn't detect anything. Since my equipment relies on visual contact perhaps we should step inside"

Tome
2010-08-05, 01:13 PM
The contact sighs, and removes his hand from his pocket, staring at the strange, lighter shaped device in his hand. "I don't even know why I bother using this thing any more. Last time it was some deaf guy who could read lips. I give up".

"Agent Alexson, do what you need to do. Just make sure that when the CSI team gets in there - especially if we end up having to rely on the Brits - there's nothing we're going to have to cover up".

"And you" he says, turning to Transient, "are going to sign an NDA at the very least. I will be be checking on what we know of your organisation in the meantime, and will have the NDA forms ready when you're done".

"I'll arrange for you to be let through. Now if there's nothing else to be taken care of, I need to somehow run interference without causing a diplomatic incident at the same time".

Chineselegolas
2010-08-11, 12:58 AM
"Will do." Roger said, turning back to look at the others and gesture for them to approach before leading the way towards the embassy muttering to Transient "No need to let him know the others aren't with you. Less paper work for the ignorant"

Fishy
2010-08-11, 10:05 AM
Brandon hefts his borrowed Anchor Projection Field Generator. "What are you talking about? We're with him, mate. For a certain value of 'with'." He slots himself between Roger and Transient and follows the agent to the embassy, keeping an eye out for ghosts- and building materials to satisfy the Mania buzzing in his ears.

The Kings Raven
2010-08-11, 03:58 PM
"It is true" Said Transient perhaps a little more out of wish than fact. Well perhaps more than a little. The Peerage are always with each other, we can do great things but only with the support of our peers can we save ourselves from doing terrible things.

That made two leaps of logic: First that the peerage was actually united and secondly jumping right over the fact that Brandon wasn't actually in the Peerage yet. Still he was Inspired, he wasn't Umanda or the next Frankenstine. These days that pretty much was the entire entry requirements.

"If you can spare the Mania it's probably best to power up the Wonders as soon as you get inside. My creation has a charge cycle and there is the possibility of ambush".

Chineselegolas
2010-08-15, 08:47 AM
With the others walking behind him, Roger made his way to the door of the Embassy, "Well, as we are about to step outside of English law, I'd like to welcome you to the wild west, please don't break anything, or we'll have to sue you for all you are worth." he said with a chuckle, affixing his goggles and turning on the filter, before pushing open the door and stepping inside, hand lingering near his gun.

The Kings Raven
2010-08-15, 02:43 PM
"I assure you we are more professional than the ghostbusters." Transient says this without a hint of humour or superiority. Without a hint of anything really, but that's normal for him.

Once we get inside it will be time for another quick scan before removing the goggles.
Wits (2) + Computers (2) + Core Modifier (1) - Wound Penalties (1)
[roll0]

Kythorian
2010-08-16, 11:16 AM
Thomas stays close to the group as they head towards the entrance to the embasy, but remains silent, as he still has no real idea of what was going on, especially as it appeared to be something of a political situation. Why would he be allowed into a place like this? Especially given the currently high alert situation. He had no idea, but certainly wasn't going to bring the situation to anyone's attention as long as they didn't specifically stop him.

Tome
2010-08-16, 03:19 PM
The guards at the front doors nod you past without trouble, admitting you into the embassy lobby.

The well-decorated lobby, a mix between government formality and patriotic grandeur, is in shambles. Scorch marks and bullet holes dot the walls and floor. The metal detector appears to have been ripped apart, along with a bloody smear that presumably used to be part of the security detachment.

An elevator is situated on the far wall, while two corridors lead off to the side. The trail of destruction leads to the left.

The Kings Raven
2010-08-18, 03:37 AM
"Well it seems obvious what we need to do." With that Transient began following the bloodstain to the left making occasional scans along thee way[/color]

Wits (2) + Computers (2) + Core Modifier (1) - Wound Penalties (1)[roll0]

Chineselegolas
2010-08-18, 04:57 AM
"Indeed, it wasn't very tidy in its passage." Walking down the corridor, following Transient, Roger looked left and right, up and down keeping an eye out for anything Transient might have missed

Perception: Wits 2 + Composure 4, ignore last two if not in twilight [roll0]