PDA

View Full Version : Scrolls as Treasure [3.5E]

Rin_Hunter
2010-07-09, 11:40 AM
So, I'm currently DMing a PBP game on a different website. It's a solo game.

My player is a Ri Sorcerer 2 (See my Variant Systems thread for details) and has a Dwarf Fighter 2 as an NPC ally.

I was planning to give him 5 scrolls as treasure since he's looking for the hidden library of an old Dwarven fort.

Just wondering what scrolls people think would be good to give him. He isn't exactly damage built. More looking for interesting ideas than helping to optimise him.

EvilJoe15
2010-07-09, 11:43 AM
Well if your player was a wizard it'd be a different story, but as a Sorcerer he'll be better off with Wands of the same cost.

Edit: You could give him scrolls of Cure Spells. Bards can make scrolls too.

Rin_Hunter
2010-07-09, 11:54 AM
Well if your player was a wizard it'd be a different story, but as a Sorcerer he'll be better off with Wands of the same cost.

Edit: You could give him scrolls of Cure Spells. Bards can make scrolls too.

I don't think he'd be finding wands in a hidden library :smalltongue:

EvilJoe15
2010-07-09, 11:58 AM
Then yeah, give him scrolls of Bard, Assassin, and Rainbow Servant spells the he can't normally cast.

DragoonWraith
2010-07-09, 12:03 PM
If he's taken advantage of his Bluff class skill at all, a Scroll of Glibness might be fun.

Chiron0224
2010-07-09, 12:04 PM
You could try using the scroll generation tables to randomly generate them.

Alternatively you could give him one long scroll(since scrolls can contain multiple spells) that follows a them.

For instance(going with the dwarf thing)
2 copies of Summon monster 2(only summons as an earth elemental)
2 copies of Stone Skin
1 copy of Summon monster 5(again only as an earth elemental)

The scroll need not be a parchment either, you could have it take the form of a stone tablet with five runes incribed on it which fade when the spell is activated(the SM 5 would be in the middle of the other 4)

Chiron0224
2010-07-09, 12:06 PM
Then yeah, give him scrolls of Bard, Assassin, and Rainbow Servant spells the he can't normally cast.

Actually if you read the entry for scrolls in the DMG it says that you can only use a scroll for a spell that you can normally cast.

Siosilvar
2010-07-09, 12:06 PM
I don't think he'd be finding wands in a hidden library :smalltongue:

No, but he might find a book of a spell that he can cast out of, or a scroll with persistent magic that can be cast 50 times before being depleted...

gbprime
2010-07-09, 12:09 PM
Actually if you read the entry for scrolls in the DMG it says that you can only use a scroll for a spell that you can normally cast.

Right, so it's Wiz/Sorc spells only for him. Make them spells tied to a plot or spells he just doesn't have but might save their butts.

Alternately, you could hand him a big graven dwarven rune instead. Say it counts just like a rune staff with 1 spell on it. Ding, an extra spell known! Happy sorcerer.

Rin_Hunter
2010-07-09, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go with the Dwarven theme because it makes sense, but I do try to discourage summoning. It's just that my setting isn't built for it at the moment.

Where are Runestaffs? Have I completely overlooked something else in a book I own?

Escheton
2010-07-09, 12:58 PM
Magic Item Compendium
Check out the lower lvl eternal wands to give him some extra spells as well.

Rin_Hunter
2010-07-09, 01:05 PM
Magic Item Compendium
Check out the lower lvl eternal wands to give him some extra spells as well.

Yep. Overlooked something again. Silly me.

He's a new player anyway, so I don't want to overload him with more new stuff since he is using my variants.