PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Summon Monster Thought

Deth Muncher
2010-07-09, 12:31 PM
I just thunked of something. Generally, most things you can get from the Summon Monster line are advancable - as in, they can get more hitdice than the basic MM entry. Would it be reasonable to have a feat/item/whathaveyou for Summoners that would let them advance the HD on their summons? Or, perhaps, a % roll every time they summon monsters for it to be of a higher HD than the one presented?

Ernir
2010-07-09, 12:48 PM
The way I'd do it is to just replace some of the higher level SM monsters with HD-advanced versions of lower level monsters. Might make sense for some "themed" summoners.
Advancing the HD of monsters without increasing the spell level is bound to break something somewhere.

On the percentage-based chance of summoned monsters appearing with extra HD... I think you have stumbled upon the only way possible to turn Summoning into a bigger bookkeeping nightmare than it already is. :smalltongue:

Coplantor
2010-07-09, 12:57 PM
The way I'd do it is to just replace some of the higher level SM monsters with HD-advanced versions of lower level monsters. Might make sense for some "themed" summoners.
Advancing the HD of monsters without increasing the spell level is bound to break something somewhere.

Or make it a bit more intresting for normal wizards to use summon spells, as far as I know, unless you get into some nice PrC/feat combos, summoning is just meh compared to the myriad of options a wizard posses

Deth Muncher
2010-07-09, 01:01 PM
Yeah, it's more of just a "Hey, that's cool" kind of thing. My thought is you'd roll for every HD to add onto it (up to the limitation of HD on the monster's entry). Call it a 10% chance, and if you fail, you stop there. It obviously wouldn't work for stuff like the Reserve Summoning feat, since I think that specifically tells you you get like a 1HD elemental or something.

Coplantor
2010-07-09, 01:05 PM
I would allow it, except for the fact that advancing a creature mid-battle mght end up taking a lot of time that could be used for playing:smalltongue:

Yora
2010-07-09, 01:05 PM
In actual game play, the other players just want you to cast a spell and get to the next characters turn.
Creating monsters randomly in the middle of an encounter slows the game down terribly.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-09, 01:12 PM
Well, yes, it could be annoying if it changes size category. But I mean, if it advances, doesn't it just get extra HP/+1BAB per HD?

Coplantor
2010-07-09, 01:15 PM
BAB and saves depend on what you are sumoning (though I think there's nothing but outsiders and elementals, right?)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-09, 01:18 PM
I just thunked of something. Generally, most things you can get from the Summon Monster line are advancable - as in, they can get more hitdice than the basic MM entry. Would it be reasonable to have a feat/item/whathaveyou for Summoners that would let them advance the HD on their summons? Or, perhaps, a % roll every time they summon monsters for it to be of a higher HD than the one presented?
There is already a feat named Augment Summoning, which does almost the same as you're suggesting. It doesn't advance the HD, but advances the summoned monsters' attributes, so they get bonuses to HP, attacks and damage.

Person_Man
2010-07-09, 01:25 PM
In practice I think this is a very bad idea unless you wanted to homebrew an entire class around just Summoning. You can already Summon a huge array of different creatures, and the action advantage they give you is immense. Giving a player even more customization makes every non-Summoning class even weaker.

Runestar
2010-07-09, 07:03 PM
It's called astral construct. :smallbiggrin:

Teron
2010-07-09, 07:31 PM
Well, yes, it could be annoying if it changes size category. But I mean, if it advances, doesn't it just get extra HP/+1BAB per HD?
Saves, skills, feats, the save DC's of extraordinary and supernatural abilities and (to some extent) ability scores are also based on HD.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-09, 07:43 PM
I thought Unearthed Arcana had something on this?

Set
2010-07-10, 12:01 AM

The Green Ronin dwarves sourcebook Hammer & Helm has some special talismans that a conjuror can wear in is neck-slot that give special properties to the critters he summons, ranging from a +2 to +6 to Str, Dex or Con, to a size increase, to +2 HD, to perma-haste (that one's pretty pricey, though!).

The size increase one sounds pretty darn hot, although the +2 HD talisman could be useful.

Feats, magic items, etc. that grant different templates to the summoned monsters, such as a dragontouched only feat that allows one to add the draconic or half-dragon template to creatures summoned could be neat. A similar planetouched-only feat or item that allows one to summon half-celestial or half-fiendish template creatures instead of celestial / fiendish ones could also be fun.