Logician
2010-07-09, 12:59 PM
consider the problem delt with

Prodan
2010-07-09, 01:03 PM
Can you be talked out of Pseudodragon?

Yora
2010-07-09, 01:03 PM
My first suggestion would be not to play a spellcaster with Level Adjustment. It's annoying for melee characters, and completely crippling for casters.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-09, 01:07 PM
Agree with above.

If you really really really must be a Pseudodragon, you are .... oh my god, you're only level 2. That hurts. Anyway, go for spells that don't become useless at higher levels. Ray of Enfeeblement and Grease are your best friends.

Alternatively, you know what you can do? Play a regular human Sorcerer, take the Improved Familiar feat on level 6, and summon a Pseudodragon Familiar on level 7. This way, you get to control both the Pseudodragon and the full-level sorcerer, isn't it cool?

Logician
2010-07-09, 01:07 PM
I'm willing to change it I suppose, but after I brought up the idea (jokingly) the entire party got behind it thinking it was hilarious, but if there is no other option then yes, I guess i didn't realize how bad LA was for casters until I actually started trying to build my spell list.

Prodan
2010-07-09, 01:10 PM
Feat ideas:
Mindsight

Spell ideas:
Power Word Pain

Equipment ideas:
Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell, Lesser.

EvilJoe15
2010-07-09, 01:10 PM
Uh, doesn't the Pseudodragon have 2 RHD? Yes it does (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pseudodragon.htm), so you don't have any class levels at all.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-09, 01:15 PM
Uh, doesn't the Pseudodragon have 2 RHD? Yes it does (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pseudodragon.htm), so you don't have any class levels at all.
He mentioned the DM is lax, I think he meant the DM waives the RHD (a lot of DMs do).

To reiterate my advice:

Alternatively, you know what you can do? Play a regular human Sorcerer, take the Improved Familiar feat on level 6, and summon a Pseudodragon Familiar on level 7. This way, you get to control both the Pseudodragon and the full-level sorcerer, isn't it cool?

Logician
2010-07-09, 01:19 PM
He mentioned the DM is lax, I think he meant the DM waives the RHD (a lot of DMs do).

To reiterate my advice:

Sorry i missed that, Like i said if i feel like theres no other way for me to be competant as is then i will just change the race. However, as i said earlier, It would definantly be a major killjoy to the rest of the party, and i would much rather avoid it.

And yes, my DM is waiving the RHD.

Thank you for your advice, but the main point of it is that its a psuedodragon Sorcerer, if i remade the char i would just leave out the psuedodragon completely and go with a typical setup.

Also, thanks Prodan, I'll look into those.

Yora
2010-07-09, 01:24 PM
Another way would be just making up a race of small sized lizards with wings. For example taking the stats for a kobold and add flight 50 ft. I think that would be quite balanced at LA +1 and no racial HD.

Ernir
2010-07-09, 01:33 PM
A vanilla Kobold plus the Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings feats (in Races of the Dragon) makes a great small flying Sorcerer lizard. :smalltongue:

Logician
2010-07-09, 01:42 PM
Another selling point (for humor) was the fact that it was tiny.

Anyway, if the the idea is so unworkable that the only real suggestions I've been givin don't even accept the possibility of going with the original idea i think i'm going to just drop it, its a shame, but oh well. I'm not so attached to it that I'm going to go through some convoluted little setup just to get something similar, I'll just make a human or elf and be done with it. Thank you for your time anyway.

Flickerdart
2010-07-09, 01:44 PM
Is your group playing with LA buyoff? If so, and it's a long game, you will eventually be able to buy off the +3 LA, but it's going to hurt all the way there.

Logician
2010-07-09, 01:51 PM
I've never heard of LA buy-off, but we do plan on it being a very long game yes, as i said before the DM is lax and will probably be open to suggested house rules.

Edit: just looked at the LA buyoff system, I'll ask my DM to have it implemented. Thanks. (unless i ditch the idea, which I'll probably do if i cant talk the DM into scewing a few things in my favor with the race and LA)

Prodan
2010-07-09, 05:03 PM
Here's something. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8618.0;topicseen)