PDA

View Full Version : Please help me build an encounter.

Skrizzy
2010-07-09, 01:06 PM
So I am building an encounter thats similar to the fights from Shadow of the Colossus and I need some help with how to handle a few things. I am specifically building for 4e, but I may put something similar into a 3.5 game at some point in the future.

1) If my players fail to start climbing on the Colossus, and he starts swinging at them, how should I handle damage for something the size of a building hitting my players?

2) If my players don't realize that he has several weak spots and just attack him, how can I justify failures to work against reflex/will attacks?

3) Finally, how should I go about if they do succeed with direct attacks? I currently have it so they have to destroy all the weak spots, but slamming the foot with a hammer really isn't hitting a weak spot.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Yora
2010-07-09, 01:10 PM
My suggestion would be making the collosus part of the environment, and not a creature. Think of it as connected platforms, bridges, and ladders that are moving in space.
To mimic the colossus attacking the characters, use the rules for traps. Like: "If a character stays on the right shoulder platform for more than one round, he is treated as if having triggered a rolling rock trap."