PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stacking DD with Knight

Frosty
2010-07-09, 01:42 PM
Yes, we all know Dwarven Defenders suck. I still need some opinions on whether this homebrew feat is overpowered (compared to what other normal PCs can do, and compared to just taking straight Knight):

Vigilant Defender [General]

You are a stalwart defender of your home and allies. You are the wall that no one gets past.

Prerequisite: Knight's Challenge class feature, Defensive stance 2/day

Benefit: Your Knight and Dwarven Defender levels stack for determining the following benefits. 1) DR gained from Dwarven Defender. 2) Number of times Defensive stance may be used per day. 3) Number of Knight's Challenges per day. 4) The save DC (if any) of a Knight's Challenge. In addition, you may use your Constitution in place of your Charisma to determine the save DC of your Knight's Challenges

Knight and DD levels do NOT stack for any other purpose, such as whether you get new uses for your Knight's Challenge, or whether you get Improved Uncanny dodge or Mobile defense.

Siosilvar
2010-07-09, 01:44 PM
Most of the stacking feats aren't for prestige classes, mostly because you'll progress into Epic levels...

Though it is for Dwarven Defender.

Frosty
2010-07-09, 01:52 PM
Most of the stacking feats aren't for prestige classes, mostly because you'll progress into Epic levels...

Though it is for Dwarven Defender.

And the Epic DD is broken...how?

Siosilvar
2010-07-09, 01:58 PM
And the Epic DD is broken...how?

Exactly my point.

Person_Man
2010-07-09, 02:56 PM
So if I'm reading this correctly a Knight 10/DD 10 would get:

DR 12/—
20 Knight Challenges per day
10 Defensive Stances per day
The Save DC of each Challenge would be 20 + Cha

Is that correct?

It seems like a bit much. Perhaps this might be a better feat:

Pillar of Honor

Prerequisite: Dwarf, Call to Battle Knight Challenge class ability

You gain a new use for your Knight's Challenge. As a Swift Action, you may spend a Knight's Challenge to enter a defensive stance similar to that of a Dwarvern Defender. When in a defensive stance, a Knight gains phenomenal strength and durability, but he cannot move from the spot he is defending. While in this stance, the knight gains +4 to Constitution, DR X/- where X is equal to 1/2 his Knight class level, and his Shield bonus to AC (including any enhancement bonus and the Knight's Shield Block bonus) also apply to any Saving Throw or check made to resist any attempt to move him, including Trip, Bull Rush, Overrun, and Grapple attempts made against the knight, and any other effect that would knock him prone or move him out of his square. (This bonus also stacks with the dwarf's stability bonus when applicable). The increase in Constitution increases the defender’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the defensive stance when the Constitution score drops back 4 points. These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.

While in a defensive stance, a knight cannot move from his square, and cannot use skills or abilities that would require him to shift his position. If he is moved from his square (either willingly or unwillingly) the defensive stance ends immediately. A defensive stance otherwise lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A knight may end his defensive stance voluntarily prior to this limit as a free action.

That should accomplish what you want and give the Knight some help in his mid levels (where he needs it most), but still allow you to stay as a Knight 20.

Frosty
2010-07-09, 03:41 PM
I really, really like that idea! It rocks!

Would the ability stack with Shield Ward?

gallagher
2010-07-09, 03:54 PM
why not be a Knight/Crusader with stone dragon?

Person_Man
2010-07-09, 03:56 PM
I really, really like that idea! It rocks!

Would the ability stack with Shield Ward?

Well it's a homebrew feat, so you could write it any way you like. I'd probably allow it, even though it would be overkill.

why not be a Knight/Crusader with stone dragon?

Your Knight's Challenge Save DCs, Fighting Challenge bonus, Shield Block bonus, and Vigilant Defender ability all depend on you Knight level. So if you mutliclass, they're not as effective. A Knight 4/Crusader 4 would work fine, but a Knight 4/Crusader 10 would basically just be a nerfed Crusader with a few Knight abilities that rarely worked.