PDA

View Full Version : [M&M 2E] Powerful questions...

Bharg
2010-07-09, 02:35 PM
This question may be easy to answer, but for now I am utterly confused, so excuse me. :smallfrown:
How does the Mighty Strike power work? How many powerpoints does it cost or, well, how do you determine the cost? And what exactly is the advantage of using it?

Drascin
2010-07-09, 02:38 PM
It costs however many points you spend in the Strike, plus one for Mighty.

So, let's say you're at PL 10, have 20 Str, and want to have a Strike 10. So you buy a Strike 5 Mighty, which costs you 6 points (5 points for 1/rank poer, plus 1 for mighty). This allows you to add your Str mod to your Strike's damage, therefore making it for all intents and purposes Strike 10. And you just saved 4 points.

That said, when Extras and Flaws come into the mix, Mighty can be a bit of a headache...

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-09, 02:41 PM
Strike is a power that derives from the Damage effect. Mighty is a power feat. Damage costs only 1 point per rank, so if you have no flaws or extras added to it, Mighty Strike costs a number of power points equal to its rank plus 1.

Now, here's the kicker. If you have any extras added to Strike, you need to buy them for your Strength modifier too. So, if you have a Strength of 22, which means a Strength modifier of +6, to have a Mighty Strike with the extra Range (ranged), you need to pay an extra 6 power points. So, if you have a power Strike 6 (Power Feats: Mighty, Extras: Penetrating, Range (ranged)), that means you pay 19 power points for it.

What the Mighty power feat does is allow you to add your Strength modifier to your Save DC for a Damage effect. So, for the above character, his effective Damage rank is 12, which means his Save DC is 27. If he hadn't bought the Mighty power feat, his Save DC would be 21.

Bharg
2010-07-09, 02:57 PM
The second half of the manual entry still remains kinda cryptic to me..

So it's like:
(Strike 1pp + Penetrating 1pp)*6 + Mighty 6pp + Ranged 1pp = 19pp?

kamikasei
2010-07-09, 03:02 PM
Look it it like this.

You want a Mighty Penetrating Strike?

Well, first off pick an example that's less embarrassing to type. Ahem.

Say you've got Strength 18 and you're playing at PL 10. So, you want your DCs to be +10 and you have a +4 mod.

You buy Strike 6 (6pp) + Mighty (1pp) which gives you +10 damage. Then if you want an extra, you pay the extra against that total. So don't think of it as Mighty having a variable cost. Think of it as the other extras costing more. Strike 6 (6pp) + Mighty (1pp) + Penetrating (10pp). Clearer?

edit: Oh wait, I see you were replying to TRD's example. I'm not sure his is legal, though. Ranged is an all-or-nothing extra, not one you can add to only some ranks like Penetrating is (so far as I know...), and you can't have a Ranged Strike AFAIK (you can have the same effect with Blast, but it won't let you use Mighty). So in his example it'd be Strike 6 (6pp) + Mighty (1pp) + Penetrating (6pp) to give you a DC +12 damage power of which six ranks are Penetrating.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-09, 03:05 PM
The second half of the manual entry still remains kinda cryptic to me..

So it's like:
(Strike 1pp + Penetrating 1pp)*6 + Mighty 6pp + Ranged 1pp = 19pp?

Don't think of it that way. That is a very poor explanation of how things work (and sadly, the explanation the book uses). It works out the same, but is much harder to understand.

Here's how it mechanically works in an easier to understand way: Mighty is always a 1 point power feat. You don't buy it more than once. No matter what happens to the power, this doesn't change.

What does change is that you must buy an extra for each time there is an increase in the Save DC. Mighty increases the Save DC by your Strength modifier, so you must buy the extras for your Strength modifier as well as your Strike power. Treat your Strength modifier as a Strike power with ranks equal to itself (so, if your Strength modifier is +6, as a Strike 6 power), and pay for the extras you add to that power.

So, in the above construct, you have a Strength modifier of +5 and a Strike rank of 1, with the Mighty power feat. This means the Ranged extra costs 6 points in total.

Bharg
2010-07-09, 03:13 PM
Is your first example still correct then? :smalleek: