PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Exorcisms

Heliomance
2010-07-09, 03:01 PM
Personally, I think that clerics ought to be able to exorcise evil outsiders. I'm considering expanding the usage of Turn Undead to this purpose, but I'm worried that it would become too easy. Undead tend to have very high numbers of HD for their CR, whereas Outsiders generally have far lower HD, and exorcising, say, a Pit Fiend should be nigh-on impossible.

So, how can Turn Undead be adapted to work on outsiders without making higher level Outsiders utterly underwhelming?

Caphi
2010-07-09, 03:05 PM
I think it's called protection from evil.

Morph Bark
2010-07-09, 03:07 PM
This is what the Sacred Exorcist PrC is for.

hamishspence
2010-07-09, 03:10 PM
There's a Sacred Exorcist PRC in Complete Divine. And the Exorcist of the Silver Flame in Eberron Campaign Setting.

Protection from evil will keep a possessor fiend out- but it won't drive out a fiend that is already present. For that you need other spells.

According to Fiendish Codex 1, Banishment, Dispel Chaos, Dispel Evil, and Dismissal will force the fiend to make a Will save or be forced out. The book also has the Exorcism spell which will also do this- requiring you to spend a turn or rebuke attempt in the process.

PId6
2010-07-09, 03:13 PM
Dismissal, Banishment, and (I believe) Dispel Evil can all already be used for this. I don't think possession will be common enough in most campaigns that you need to add more methods of handling it.

Morph Bark
2010-07-09, 03:19 PM
For an actual sort of variant of Turn Undead for evil outsiders... the Apostle of Peace PrC in the Book of Exalted Deads gets something of that sort.

hamishspence
2010-07-09, 03:21 PM
If you're using FC1 rules and the fiend has used its Transformation ability enough times- it cannot be banished, but it can still be exorcised. Exorcism at that point has a chance of killing the host though.

Keld Denar
2010-07-09, 03:32 PM
High level outsiders are already dramatically underwhelming. Open up your copy of CChampion to the spells section and read the text from Turn Anathema. To paraphrase "Pick a component of your alignment (ie Lawful OR Good for a LG character), you can now turn outsiders of the subtype opposite that component as if they were undead."

Yea...I can build a level 8 or so cleric who can turn a Balor. Its not hard.

hamishspence
2010-07-09, 03:36 PM
Sounds a bit like Gandalf's "You Shall Not Pass"- only with more oomph.

Optimystik
2010-07-09, 03:38 PM
The Soulguard from FC2 can exorcise fiends as well (Dispel Evil as an SLA.)

The Church Inquisitor has immunity to Possession, and so he is not at risk of the displaced fiend/magic jaree etc. deciding on a better host. The Soulguard enjoys similar protection, and can make fiends cower as well.

Sounds a bit like Gandalf's "You Shall Not Pass"- only with more oomph.

Well, he WAS a Solar.

Heliomance
2010-07-09, 04:48 PM
I should probably clarify - I'm asking this question as a prospective DM planning houserules, not as a player.

Yea...I can build a level 8 or so cleric who can turn a Balor. Its not hard.
That's exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid, whilst still having Clerics be able to, by default, go "You do not belong here! In the name of <insert deity here>, I cast thee out!"