PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 CR Query

Lord Loss
2010-07-09, 03:11 PM
All the time playing D&D 3.5, I've considered 1 CR1 Creature = A lvl one encounter suitable for 4 lvl PCs. A friend said that it was actually 4 CR 1 monsters = one encounter suitable for 4 level four PCs. Which of us is correct?

PId6
2010-07-09, 03:19 PM
A creature of CR X is a suitable encounter for a party of four PCs of level X, draining 25% of their daily resources.

Of course, it never turns out that way, but this is the intention.

Siosilvar
2010-07-09, 03:22 PM
A creature of CR X is a suitable encounter for a party of four PCs of level X, draining 25% of their daily resources.

Of course, it never turns out that way, but this is the intention.

This. One creature is supposed to be a suitable encounter.

Although 4 CR 1 is a total CR of 4 (due to CR stacking until 2, then +2 per double), so you're actually both right...

Keld Denar
2010-07-09, 03:23 PM
Really, you measure encounter toughness by Encounter Level(EL), not CR. EL is the aggregate difficulty of all factors in an encounter. A CR1 critter is EL1, and a CR2 critter is EL2. 2 CR1 critters is EL3, as a doubling of similar CR creatures increases EL by 2. Other factors, such as favorable conditions, affect EL.

An EL = APL (Average Party Level) encounter should take about 20% of the party's daily resources, be they spells, abilities, HP, etc. An EL = APL +4 encounter is a REALLY tough encounter, which in theory, should have the potential to off one of the characters. Most of the time, you should through EL = APL-1 to APL+3 encounters at the party.

Do note that APL is only averaged for a party of 4. For more, increase the APL by ~1 for each party member present after 4. More actions means more advantage. Thus, a party of 5 level 4 characters would be APL5, and thus an EL5 encounter should consume about 20% of their daily resources.

Lord Loss
2010-07-09, 03:48 PM
Thanks , you've awnsered my question. My friend said 4 lvl 1 = suitable for 4 lvl 1, not 4 lvl 4. Sorry for the mix-up.