PDA

View Full Version : Training animals for war?

Duskranger
2010-07-09, 05:14 PM
Dear GitP-ers,

As you maybe all know a druid and a ranger can take up animal companions. Now do I have one problem.

Accordign to the rules animals are proficient with no armor unless trained for war.

But how do you train a creature for war.

And no adding the Warbeast template is not allowed.

Friendly greetings,
Duskranger

Endarire
2010-07-09, 05:25 PM
You could give them a mithril chain shirt as bardic for no ACP.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-09, 05:27 PM
Animals get feats - 1 base feat, plus one per each 3 HD. Just spend one of those feats on Armor Proficiency.

Sc00by
2010-07-09, 05:30 PM
But how do you train a creature for war.

And no adding the Warbeast template is not allowed.

Why not? Because that's the way to do it by the rules. You make your Handle animal checks and spend 2 months training your 4 legged (probably) friend to do war like stuff.

Otherwise, use those base rules and take out the bits of the template that are an issue?

AdalKar
2010-07-09, 05:33 PM
In the 3.0 book Masters of the Wild is a new trick in the handle animal section which is called "armor", with this your animal accepts barding. Try to get this (ask your DM). I think there's no reason why he shouldn't let you "train you companion for war" that way.

taltamir
2010-07-09, 05:45 PM
war training is an animal handling check. it takes 3 weeks and is a DC20 check:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleanimal.htm

look under "Train for purpose: Fighting"

Also, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm

Nonproficient with Armor Worn
A character who wears armor and/or uses a shield with which he or she is not proficient takes the armor’s (and/or shield’s) armor check penalty on attack rolls and on all Strength-based and Dexterity-based ability and skill checks. The penalty for nonproficiency with armor stacks with the penalty for nonproficiency with shields.

This means there is NO PENALTY for wearing padded armor or leather armor untrained. Those actually don't require ANY feats.
Also, look at costs, 5gp for a 1AC padded armor, and 10 gp for a 2ac leather armor, the next up armor is studded leather for 25gp and 3 AC (wearing it untrained gives you a -1 to attack)... on the other hand, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsandservices.htm
A guard dog costs 25 gp by itself... you are better off getting a second dog than buying expensive armor for one. Now... if you find a hydra egg or something and train it... thats different, thats worth buying special high quality armor for (and training it in its use)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-09, 05:52 PM
war training is an animal handling check. it takes 3 weeks and is a DC20 check:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleanimal.htm

look under "Train for purpose: Fighting"

It doesn't say anything about armor though.

Fighting (DC 20): An animal trained to engage in combat knows the tricks attack, down, and stay. Training an animal for fighting takes three weeks.

taltamir
2010-07-09, 05:54 PM
It doesn't say anything about armor though.

You are right, it doesn't. I didn't realize that is what he meant (I thought he was asking two separate questions: 1. can i train it for war. 2. can it wear armor).

As for wearing armor... it needs the right FEATS... so you need to find some way to advance its HD and have it choose the appropriate armor feat.

AslanCross
2010-07-09, 06:36 PM
Now... if you find a hydra egg or something and train it... thats different, thats worth buying special high quality armor for (and training it in its use)

...I want to see a hydra in full plate. I really, really do. It would probably be a completely awesome monster to stick into my next campaign.

Duskranger
2010-07-10, 01:40 AM
It was not only because of the armor, but also since the SRD states that a riding dog trained for war can make trip attacks.

Coidzor
2010-07-10, 02:22 AM
It was not only because of the armor, but also since the SRD states that a riding dog trained for war can make trip attacks.

If it knows the attack command twice, just give it to it.

If it only knows the attack command once. *shrug*

If it has the fighting trickset, that should be enough.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-10, 05:28 AM
The pathfinder's bit on Handle Animal specifies that combat training gives armor proficiencies, as per mentioned in the SRD's errata. Is there a similar faq or errata for 3.5 PHB?