PDA

View Full Version : Stunning with psionics?

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 08:48 PM
I am trying to find a way for my Psychic Warrior to stun or make helpless an opponent. I want to stay away from taking a feat to do so but if I must I will.

Eldariel
2010-07-09, 08:58 PM
I am trying to find a way for my Psychic Warrior to stun or make helpless an opponent. I want to stay away from taking a feat to do so but if I must I will.

Level, sources? Off the top of my heads, Breath of the Bronze Dragon does that.

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 09:00 PM
Level 6, but if i have to wait a few levels I will survive. I have most 3.5 books at my disposal, but no dragon magazine. What book is breath of the bronze dragon in?

Also, just in case, what are my feat options for accomplishing this?

Edit: Just found the power you mention. It "unsettles" foes, making them do nothing but move away from you ><

Eldariel
2010-07-09, 09:20 PM
Exhalation of the Bronze Dragon is the exact name; level 3 PsyWar Power in CPsi. Save-or-Run with scaleable save, effectively.

As for options...well, Expanded Knowledge can get basically anything on the Psion-list, so that's that. Death Urge, Psi Blast, what-have-yous.

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 09:22 PM
Psi blast might work. I've looked through the PsiWar's powers and cant find anything. I need something that specifically stuns or makes helpless. Things that are just similar wont work.

Eldariel
2010-07-09, 09:24 PM
Well, an easy way utilizing tools you'll want anyways is to EK Metamorphosis and take Metamorphic Transfer and then e.g. turn into a Dragon with stunning or sleeping breath weapon using Metamorphic Transfer to pick it up. Meta opens up dozens of such forms with Transfer.

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 09:27 PM
Metamorphosis isn't an option for this. Not only is it two feats to be able to do but I would rather not use it at all. How about helpless? Is there any way to make a foe helpless in a battle? I know you can tie one up but that won't work in battle...

Ashiel
2010-07-09, 09:32 PM
I shouldn't speak of it, but energy stun is a 2nd level Psion power obtainable via Expanded Knowledge. It has an unusual quirk compared to most powers. It gains +1 DC per PP spent, instead of 2 PP spent like most powers; with no real explanation why (but it was never errata'd). So while it begins fairly weak, with augmentation it's terribly hard to save against. :smalltongue:

AND it deals damage.

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 09:35 PM
I shouldn't speak of it, but energy stun is a 2nd level Psion power obtainable via Expanded Knowledge. It has an unusual quirk compared to most powers. It gains +1 DC per PP spent, instead of 2 PP spent like most powers; with no real explanation why (but it was never errata'd). So while it begins fairly weak, with augmentation it's terribly hard to save against. :smalltongue:

AND it deals damage.

Wow, I peeked at this and then ignored it, because you have to fail the first save to even make the stun save. But I didn't notice how nice the augmentation was! Thanks a ton. I may get this with my next feat, assuming there are no stunning/helpless options without a feat.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-09, 09:46 PM
If you are not against using items there is an enchancement in DMG II named sudden stunning, which upon hitting you can force a save against stun... IIRC the save is based on your Charisma (so it scales somewhat decently) and can be used a number of time per day equal to your charisma bonus.

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 09:53 PM
I just realized all these seem to have a 1 round effect. is there any way to get 2+ rounds?

Keld Denar
2010-07-09, 10:05 PM
Also, Energy Stun was revised in CPsi. It now only increases DC per 2 PP augemented, same as all other powers. Since CPsi is the most recent source, its effectively errata by a different name.

Draz74
2010-07-09, 10:19 PM
I just realized all these seem to have a 1 round effect. is there any way to get 2+ rounds?
This does:

If you are not against using items there is an enchancement in DMG II named sudden stunning, which upon hitting you can force a save against stun... IIRC the save is based on your Charisma (so it scales somewhat decently) and can be used a number of time per day equal to your charisma bonus.

... but it's also rather broken. "Stunning Surge" weapons (MIC) are similar (and also Charisma-based), but much more balanced ... but now we're talking a 1-round duration again.

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 10:45 PM
I think I will be going with sudden stunning if my DM will allow it. Once I get the gold that is, I can put it on my necklace of natural attacks and get two uses per natural weapon per day...

Ashiel
2010-07-09, 11:03 PM
Also, Energy Stun was revised in CPsi. It now only increases DC per 2 PP augemented, same as all other powers. Since CPsi is the most recent source, its effectively errata by a different name.

That's great and all, but the SRD is supposed to be updated with official errata and doesn't include that; so I wouldn't expect everyone to use the Comp. Psi stuff. Though that is actually how I would modify it myself (though if I did I'd also remove the need for 2 failed saves).

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 11:08 PM
That's great and all, but the SRD is supposed to be updated with official errata and doesn't include that; so I wouldn't expect everyone to use the Comp. Psi stuff. Though that is actually how I would modify it myself (though if I did I'd also remove the need for 2 failed saves).

Well if I take the power I will ask my DM if I can take the older one. He's pretty good about that sort of stuff so there is a chance he will let me. If not the sudden stun will do pretty well once i can afford it.

I am still curious if there is any way to make a foe helpless in combat though.

Flob
2010-07-09, 11:12 PM
How hasn't somebody pointed this man to the power Decerebrate? I don't think it's on your list, but it basically makes the person lie on the ground and do nothing but breath. Than they die when they get dehydrated. I'm pretty sure it's a high level power, and it's definantly not stunning, but the sick person inside me loves it.

Edit: Now I have a link! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/decerebrate.htm) Yeah, it's overkill for what you need, but it's AWESOME.

Chronos Flame
2010-07-09, 11:14 PM
How hasn't somebody pointed this man to the power Decerebrate? I don't think it's on your list, but it basically makes the person lie on the ground and do nothing but breath. Than they die when they get dehydrated. I'm pretty sure it's a high level power, and it's definantly not stunning, but the sick person inside me loves it.

Edit: Now I have a link! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/decerebrate.htm) Yeah, it's overkill for what you need, but it's AWESOME.

It would work perfectly (possibly as overkill for my uses). Problem is it's a 7th level power and a PsyWar can only cast up to 6th level powers.

Edit: make that 5th level max for powers not on their own list pre-epic.