PDA

View Full Version : Time 3.5

TechnOkami
2010-07-09, 10:42 PM
My friend and I are currently in the process of making a character class which revolves around time manipulation. When such a thing comes to mind, what abilities do you think of when related to time and its flow/movement?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-07-09, 10:55 PM
Well some of the obvious choices are dealing with time-based abilities, like slow or haste, then higher level powers like time stop. Some psionic powers deal directly with time, most notably the exclusively psychoportation powers. You could draw on any of those for abilities.

Temotei
2010-07-09, 10:55 PM
My friend and I are currently in the process of making a character class which revolves around time manipulation. When such a thing comes to mind, what abilities do you think of when related to time and its flow/movement?

Haste, slow, and time stop, for sure.

Dude. I was either ninja'd or swordsage'd.

Milskidasith
2010-07-09, 10:58 PM
Or did Krimm just travel through time to post before you?

Probably not.

Also, as a helpful tip, make sure the class actually has offensive options, and at the same time, make sure it doesn't break the action economy with extra actions. A lot of classes like this tend to end up with nothing but a few SLAs or really broken extra action stuff; it's rare they get enough offensive power without going overboard on actions.

TechnOkami
2010-07-09, 11:19 PM
Well some of the obvious choices are dealing with time-based abilities, like slow or haste, then higher level powers like time stop. Some psionic powers deal directly with time, most notably the exclusively psychoportation powers. You could draw on any of those for abilities.

Where can I find the Psychoportation stuff?

Nevermind. Thank you SRD 20.

Set
2010-07-10, 12:13 AM
A ton of spells could be fluffed to involve monkeying with time.

Daze - causes a deja vu like sensation, causing the target to miss their action while they perceive a repeat of the last rounds action

Acid Splash - entropic forces concentrate on the target area, as you fling a glob of pure entropy at them, accelerating decay and causing corrosion-like damage as the affected object / tissue suffers advanced rapid aging

Ray of Frost - causes molecular motion to slow in relation to the matter around it, so that the affected item becomes cold

Touch of Fatigue - gosh, has it been 16 hours already? I'm sleepy!

Endure Elements, True Strike, Sleep, Burning Hands, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement, Expeditious Retreat and Feather Fall all work as 'time' spells, either by inflicting age-related maladies or entropic effects on someone, or causing their bodies to feel as if they've been awake for many days, droppin them to sleep, or slowing the effects of environmental forces (or gravity!) on their body, allowing them to stave off the effects of heatstroke or frostbite (or falling damage, as they drift slowly to the ground). With True Strike, time seems to slow down, giving the caster what seems like long moments to perfectly line up a single perfect attack, while the enemy is just standing there, almost frozen in time...

Blur, Protection from Arrows (arrows drifting lazily through the air, as the caster casually sidesteps all but the most powerfully propelled missiles), Daze Monster, Touch of Idiocy (instant senility!), Blindness/Deafness (what? I ain't deaf, sonny!), False Life (recapturing youthful energy), Bull's Strength / Bear's Endurance (similar use of temporal effects on the body), Displacement, Hold Person, etc, etc. all work as time spells.

For Valor
2010-07-10, 12:56 AM
@Set:

Daze--that's a mental state, not a time-changing one. No.

Acid Splash--ummm... 'kay, sure.

Ray of Frost--Molecular movement speed and the changes of the 4th dimension are very different. No.

Endure Elements thru Ray of Enfeeblement--No.

Expeditious Retreat--Probably yes.

Feather Fall--Definitely yes.

Blur thru Hold Person--Most of what you've given here are spatial spells, NOT temporal spells. No to all of them.

In Other New: Rithaniel made 2 time classes, 1 a psionic class (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Bender_(3.5e_Class))and 1 a straight-up time-flavored class (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Walker_(3.5e_Class)). Rip off some of those abilities.

Abilities That Come to Mind: Movement Speed Bonuses, Untyped AC Bonuses (+4 to AC instead of +4 Deflection Bonus to AC), re-rolls, Fast Healing, more attacks than normal (like "Flurry of Blows", except with good flavor and a better to-hit chance). Also, being able to use Haste and/or Slow supernaturally (or, even better, Extraordinarily) is a must.

Milskidasith
2010-07-10, 02:14 AM
@Set:

Ray of Frost--Molecular movement speed and the changes of the 4th dimension are very different. No.

Blur thru Hold Person--Most of what you've given here are spatial spells, NOT temporal spells. No to all of them.

In Other New: Rithaniel made 2 time classes, 1 a psionic class (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Bender_(3.5e_Class))and 1 a straight-up time-flavored class (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Walker_(3.5e_Class)). Rip off some of those abilities.

Abilities That Come to Mind: Movement Speed Bonuses, Untyped AC Bonuses (+4 to AC instead of +4 Deflection Bonus to AC), re-rolls, Fast Healing, more attacks than normal (like "Flurry of Blows", except with good flavor and a better to-hit chance). Also, being able to use Haste and/or Slow supernaturally (or, even better, Extraordinarily) is a must.

You can refluff things, you know. Telling people how to fluff their spells comes across as offensive.

EDIT: I also don't think encouraging him to copy somebody else's class is a good idea.

TechnOkami
2010-07-10, 02:21 AM
@Set:

Actually, the class we're making is a variant of the Time Walker.

Fortuna
2010-07-10, 02:27 AM
@Set:

I dislike the Fast Healing idea, just because it doesn't really make sense to me. That could screw with your biology no end if you let cell replication and platelet activity accelerate. Of course, this forum is one of the few places in my life where someone who actually knows what they're talking about can step in and tell me I'm wrong now.

TechnOkami
2010-07-10, 02:35 AM
I dislike the Fast Healing idea, just because it doesn't really make sense to me. That could screw with your biology no end if you let cell replication and platelet activity accelerate.

Fast healing is like natural healing except sped up. It stops once the wounds are healed and doesn't cause an overabundance of skin/flesh/etc. In the sense of the time walker, the wounds are being removed by time, as if they never happened in the first place.

Fortuna
2010-07-10, 02:47 AM
I'm not going to argue this one, just say that it doesn't appeal to me at all. Add it if you like :smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2010-07-10, 06:03 AM
How about a temporarily rapid-aging debuff? For X rounds, your opponent suffers the physical effects of advanced age. The low-level version would simply be temporary Middle Age (-1 to STR/DEX/CON), then an upgrade to inflicting Old Age (-3 to STR/DEX/CON), & finally the ability to inflict Venerable Age (-6 to STR/DEX/CON). That would be a great debuff to pretty much anything, although certain creature types should probably be resistant or immune (constructs, fey, outsiders, & the undead).

You could perhaps add a high-level ability to make the aging permanent, but that should allow a saving throw with a low DC.

But they wouldn't gain the benefits to their mental scores, because those come from experience, which they wouldn't be actually gaining. Their bodies would just be aged for a while. Think of Jeremy Irons at the end of The Time Machine (or better yet, don't).

Morph Bark
2010-07-10, 09:05 AM
@Set:

A lot of cold- or fire-based spells/powers could actually work. Ever seen Charmed? One of the main characters' powers involve time-based stuff, one of which is accelerating molecules to cause bursts of fire. The opposite could be done as well.

Sonic-based spells/powers could work too as a "ripple" being caused in the space-time continuum.

Ashtagon
2010-07-10, 09:19 AM
@Set:

Or it is a spell that slows down neural impulses, causing the above-mentioned condition

Or it is a spell that directly manipulates gravity waves, ignoring time manipulation completely

A lot of spells can be seen in multiple lights, depending on how you fluff them.