PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Spellcasting

Niezck
2010-07-10, 03:18 AM
So, I'm looking to build a mounted spellcaster, most likely a sorcere, and I find myself seriously lacking knowledge about what feats, items, classes, etc would be useful.

(As a relevant aside, the mount will be a dragon, and I'm ECL 30 with an equivalent of epic leadership but functioning as dragon cohort.)

I know about the Dragonrider class from Draconomicon, but sadly it doesn't progress caster level, so maybe just a 1-level dip for the immunity to frightful presence and the riding benefit. Anything else I should know about?

EDIT: I'll also be using the Mounted Spellcasting (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a) feat.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-10, 03:56 AM
I wonder if you actually need the mounted spellcasting feat (along with the Mounted Combat prerequisite). The DC to concentrate on a spell while undergoing "extraordinarily violent motion" is 20, which you'll pass automatically with less than max ranks in concentration, which you should probably be maxing anyway.

Other than that I'm not very familiar with epic, other than the rules don't appear to work very well. If they work for you, more power to you, but try not to break anything on accident.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-10, 04:25 AM
How optimization savvy is your group? Because at that level you can be anything ranging from a meteor mashing bomber to almost invincible depending on how you build.

Edit: Also, what books are you allowed to use and how is your equipment being handled (Pick out of books based on WBL table?)

Niezck
2010-07-10, 04:31 AM
How optimization savvy is your group? Because at that level you can be anything ranging from a meteor mashing bomber to almost invincible depending on how you build.

Edit: Also, what books are you allowed to use and how is your equipment being handled (Pick out of books based on WBL table?)

Also, the Big 16 for your viewing convenience:

The 16 Questions
What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5

What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e"Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (e.g. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

The type and plot of the game have yet to be determined, but it'll be in a vaguely Greyhawk/Planescape setting--really, as epic characters, you have plenty of world-changing potential, so I'll be leaving as much up in the air as possible for you to shape as the game progresses. Assume standard fluff as a baseline, and changes can be made according to backstories, player request/suggestion, etc.

How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-5 players, no alts. Recruitment will be open until the 17th, then I'll pick players from among that have posted completed characters.

What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Here.

What is the characters' starting status (i.eexperience level)?

You start with enough XP to be 30th level, plus an extra 10,000 XP. You can use any of that for crafting, LA buyoff, and such as desired.

How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard 30th level WBL.

Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want..or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Any official material is fine (including web enhancements, Dragon, etc.), with the stipulation that all builds must be run by me first for approval. I'm a fairly lenient DM, so chances are most things will be approved, just keep in mind that excess cheese will be returned in kind.

Homebrew will also have to be run by me. I'd like to stick to official material if at all possible, so homebrew is less likely to fly; as wonky as WotC material can be, I'm already very familiar with it, so even good-quality homebrew might be turned down or modified. Still, I'll at least consider any request.

What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Again, everything is available as long as I approve it. Bloodlines, templates, and monsters with LA/RHD are available. Tentatively, here's how ECL math will work: For monsters, you start with all the RHD and ignore the LA, though you keep LA for templates (LA buyoff is fine). If I find that causes problems, I'll revise it.

By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

40 point buy.

Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Alignment works as normal, and all characters should be non-evil at least to start with.

Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multiclassing XP penalties are stupid and do not exist. Otherwise as normal.

Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

PC die rolls are made by players in-thread; NPC rolls will be made by me in-thread; I'll probably do named/important NPCs' rolls with my own roller so you can't see their stats, but there shouldn't be too many of those NPCs. Rolls and other OOC stuff should be spoilered.

Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Epic maneuver, spell, and power rules will be provided as soon as I create them, hopefully within the next day or two. Individual maneuvers/spells/powers will be tailored to the PCs, so once you've solidified your character concept, let me know what you're looking for and we'll work together to develop them.

Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Backgrounds are mandatory. Though there is no required length, I'd expect the background to at least explain how your character got to be epic level; don't just describe a personality and then jump from slaying goblins as a novice to slaying balors as a veteran.

Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

The balance of the above factors will depend on the plot, but in general the group can decide what they'd like to do, given that you can essentially move at your own pace. If you want combat, you can get combat; if you want RPing, we can do that too.

Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

See above.

Like dat ^

Wings of Peace
2010-07-10, 06:07 AM
Ardent 1/Wizard 5/Subverted Psion 1/Tainted Scholar 2/Incantatrix 10/Loremaster 1 (Bonus Feat)/Primal Scholar 10 (Secret of Power)

-Max you taint by Planar Binding a Taint Elemental and having it touch you numerous times. (Giggidy.)

-Secret of Power + Unfettered Heroism (Spell) will allow you to refresh spells as needed in the unlikely event you run out. This includes level 10 epic spells.

-Meet Subverted Psion's ML requirement with Practiced Manifester.

-Incantatrix gives you 4 bonus metamagic feats, Severe Taint gives you another 2 bonus feats.

-Take flaws if you can.

-You might get books thrown at you for this. Tone down as necessary.

Edit: Heading to bed. Will look up items tomorrow.

Niezck
2010-07-10, 06:29 AM
But that's just general caster help D:

In related news, I found the Zhentarim Skymage in Lords of Darkness. If I can convince the DM to let me re-fluff it (and possibly remove the free mount, since that's gonna be horrendously powerful) it looks perfect. Mix that with a couple levels of Dragonrider, stick in Epic Hero by TDO to up the casting to HD-equivalent, and I should be good to go.

AslanCross
2010-07-10, 06:58 AM
Zhentarim Skymage is pretty good for your purposes, but the entire point of that class is the free mount. o_o You can cast just fine on a mount if you max your Concentration ranks.

Niezck
2010-07-10, 02:27 PM
Well I'll run it past the DM, but I'm not sure whether it'll get approved or not. (Since my cha mod could very well be nearing 14 or so, which'll give me a 20HD mount or some such.)

Also, I've heard of Sharn Skymage? Would that be appropriate at all, and does anybody know which book it's from?