PDA

View Full Version : The Last Gate, and thepredictions for Durkon

Myrdhale
2010-07-10, 09:51 AM
So, not sure if anyone has posted about this, probably, but I can't find it easily in the back log. So I'll just post it anyhow. :D

With all the talk of Belkar's imminent doom, I can't help but think the party is going to be encountering the friendly old Lich at the next gate, thwarting his attempt but taking some casualties in the process. The oracle's predictions, way back when, and the predictions of the high priest of Odin, gave me the impression there is only one way this story could go.

Soon, Durkon (and most likely Belkar) will Die, most likely at the hands of Xykon or Redcloak. As the OotS will have thwarted his attempt to control this gate, he will have no choice but to head north the Kraggar's (sp?) gate, in the Dwarflands. Xykon will animate his corpse, and will bring him with his unholy army to the north. And so, Durkon, in returning to his homeland Posthumously, will bring the doom and destruction that was foretold upon his next homecoming.

Perhaps a tinfoil hat Theory. But I have a sinking feeling it's what's going to happen. :smallfrown:

vampire2948
2010-07-10, 09:56 AM
High Priest of Thor, y'mean?

And yes... this seems likely. Though Rich will likely suprise us..

Myrdhale
2010-07-10, 10:00 AM
High Priest of Thor, y'mean?

And yes... this seems likely. Though Rich will likely suprise us..

Perhaps, I can't recall whether it was his high priest or not that made the prediction. At any rate, Rich does tend to turn expectations on their head, but doubtlessly the final confrontation will be in the north. This story ain't ending till all the gates have been broken, well meaning intentions of the party aside. :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2010-07-10, 10:02 AM
In my dream last night, Durkon died of food poisoning and you all were disappointed.

Rin_Hunter
2010-07-10, 10:11 AM
:smallbiggrin:

I remember posting a thread exactly like this a while back~

Kish
2010-07-10, 10:49 AM
Perhaps, I can't recall whether it was his high priest or not that made the prediction.
No, you were right the first time, it was the high priest of Odin.

Kareasint
2010-07-10, 11:03 AM
Interesting theory.

I would foresee the priests of Odin receiving additional instructions if something like this were to come to pass.

King of Nowhere
2010-07-10, 11:25 AM
My version of it

Belkar won't die until the end of the story. He's too good a character. Durkon will die at this gate, but will be brougth to the dwarven homelands by the rest of the oots. There, he'll be raised. Xykon would follow, too, so the prophecy would be fulfilled. It never said that durkon would be the cause of that destruction, only that the destructon will happen WHEN Durkon came back.

FeanorFireHeart
2010-07-10, 02:04 PM
King of Nowere seems to be onto something. The oracle did say he would go back to the dwarven lands posthumously but that doesnt mean he wont be raised and therefore leaving the oracle to be right (and judging by the oracles predictions he seems to like to go with the shady way of giving answers). I felt bad for our resident dwarf of the group when the letter got lost about how he could come back.

toastywes
2010-07-11, 05:29 AM
Yes, King of Nowhere is definitely on to something.

Ancalagon
2010-07-11, 06:15 AM
Someone should really set up a database with all theories that have been discussed for years. On the other hand... that would make the forum and most discussions rather pointess. ;)

Leecros
2010-07-11, 12:56 PM
In my dream last night, Durkon died of food poisoning and you all were disappointed.

This.

I will be waiting with my bag of popcorn.:smallbiggrin:

My version of it

Belkar won't die until the end of the story. He's too good a character.

Five Stages

DENIAL
ANGER
BARGAINING
DEPRESSION
ACCEPTANCE

DaveMcW
2010-07-11, 10:20 PM

You have no idea how tough that +2 racial bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0083.html) against poison is to overcome!

Nilan8888
2010-07-12, 10:09 AM
I'm wondering if this should really be a "Durkon and Belkar" thread.

I really like that theory for Durkon. He essentially gets "John Locke"d (LOST). I suppose it may not happen, but it would seem appropriate: since Durkon has had very little character development since the early strips with Hilgya (ironically perhaps the FIRST character to undergo some development, unless you count Elan's first encounters with his brother or Roy's early interactions with his Father's ghost).

Because of those early strips though, it might also be appropriate for Hilgya to return before something like this happens. But considering Durkon's been a stable rock of stability for everyone for a very, very long time... since practically the beginning... it feels appropriate that this gets yanked away in the leadup to the climax of the story. It would go a long way to upping the stakes.

Belkar's demise... I dunno, I'm thinking there's probably going to be some sort of "twist" on that. What the Oracle says will come to pass but maybe not in the way we expect. I know Belkar is supposed to 'take his last breath, ever', in story-time, in something like 5 weeks or less. But... maybe it's just the nature of the character... it doesn't quite feel like the story's ready to let go of Belkar just yet, and vice-versa.

If Belkar DOES die, I at least expect we won't have seen the last of him, at least in some manner. Durkon as well I suppose, but I'm betting when Durkon dies, his story will be "finished", so to speak, and everything we see of Durkon's spirit afterward will be coda. With Belkar... I don't quite get the same feeling. We might be following the halfling onward from the moment that's coming up in 5 weeks or less time.