PDA

View Full Version : Savage tide (DMoD)

Fable Wright
2010-07-10, 12:43 PM
You each have received a message delivered by a wizened-looking halfling. The letter says,

Greetings. I trust this missive finds you in good health.
My name is Lavinia Vanderboren, and I humbly request your attendance at dinner at my estate on Festival Street and Blue Skink Lane tomorrow evening. I think that I can present you with an opportunity uniquely suited to your skills. Please inform the carrier of this letter of your responseto this invitation, and I hope to be speaking to you soon!
Lavinia Vanderboren

After voicing your assent, the halfling smiles and runs off. What do you do until you are due to arrive?

The Big Orc
2010-07-10, 01:16 PM
Drath

Greeting the halfling with a warm smile I take the message and open it. After reading I state, "I would be honored to dine with Lady Vanderboren." Returning to the temple, I see if there are any tasks or chores that require my attention and complete those before returning to my chambers to pray. The next day I continue with the same routine until it is time to meet Vanderboren at which point I wash up and head to her estate.

edit: ooc: im assuming Lavinia is a female name

MOLOKH
2010-07-10, 06:39 PM
Pops

"A real letter, and on paper, too. Must be imporkant. But why'd this Verdorben wimen didn't just come and tell me what she wants? Hmhmhm. She wants me at 'er house... so... I knows!"

Pops heads for the market and will look for a merchant who sells small animals, specificaly birds - robins, starlings, parakeets, and will get one with an appropirate cage.

Fable Wright
2010-07-10, 06:59 PM
You see a pet shop, with birds in the windows. Upon entering, you ask one merchant how much the bird and cage costs. Well, the cage is normally 15 crowns, but if you buy the bird too, I'll bring the price down to a nice, round 10 crowns.

Crowns = gp.

MOLOKH
2010-07-10, 07:26 PM
Pops

"This oughta let things take flight - I'll just give 'er the bird. Uk-uk-uk-uk!"

Pops pays for a cage, a small parakeet and some birdfeed/seeds/whatever and leaves.
Nothing else until the meeting time.

Fable Wright
2010-07-10, 07:28 PM
Feed for 1 week came with the cage.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-11, 08:36 AM
Conner hands the letter back with a quick confirmation that he'll be more willing to attend. He then goes back to the task of unjamming the lock to the wine cellar. One of the few tasks he accepted from the Madam who ran the Inn, in exchange for a few nights room and board.

Conner addresses the old man who is currently shoveling the ash from the previous night out of the large fireplace. Ivan, please tell the Madam I might not be able to work my shift tomorrow tonight. I, I think I have a job interview! Oh yeah, and next time, don't ram the key in so hard. I think you stripped the pins out of the lock. Don't know if I'll be able to save it.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-13, 03:09 PM
As Adalia reads the letter, her eyes grow wide. A dinner at a fancy estate will be a perfect opportunity to introduce her new collection. A menagerie of the well-to-do, all clammering for the biggest and best in terms of luxury items. She hurries back to her shop to collect some order forms.

Fable Wright
2010-07-15, 04:09 PM
As you arrive at the Vanderboren Manor in the eastern Merchant District, you are taken aback by the design. The seven foot tall stone wall surrounding the manor barely conceals the towering, 3 storied gothic mansion. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon on the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city. The front gates have been left open, but no one greets you until you go the the front door and knock. After a few moments, the wizened halfling that delivered your invitation answers the door. She says, Thank you for coming. I'm Kora Whistlegap.and then promptly leads you into the hall. On the way, four figures emerge from the hall and head towards you. Kora races behind the party, which is made up of a jaunty male half-elf dressed in leather armor and armed with a half-dozen daggers of different shapes, a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown roes and clutching a large curved spear, and an attractive but haughty looking woman dressed in dark purple robes with a tattoo of a crescent on one cheek, and lastly, a tall and handsome man dressed in a polished breastplate carrying a bastard sword. The man in the breastplate sizes you up and says, "Hmmm. You must be the help that Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck to ya!".

If you have knowledge(local), please make a check, or a bardic knowledge check.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-15, 05:59 PM
"Uuhm. Thank you sir." Conner says with a polite bow."Would you happen to know the nature of this work?"

Fable Wright
2010-07-15, 06:02 PM
Nah, Lavinia just tells us our jobs. She just told us that she would have some hired help while we were away.

The Big Orc
2010-07-15, 06:20 PM
Drath
"Might you lead us to the Lady's table?" asks Drath, eager to get on with the evenings proceedings.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-19, 06:29 AM
"The help?" Adalia is flabbergasted. "No, no, miss, you must be confused--I am a guest at this lavish gala. Lady Vandorboren, as you should take to calling her, invited me personally to introduce my new line of luxury precious stone apparel."

OOC: Bluff roll if one is needed, but Adalia thinks she's been invited personally.

[roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-07-19, 09:03 AM
I won't lead you to the table. Ask Kora for that. We best be off now.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-19, 11:24 AM
Conner turns to KoraPlease Ma'am, would you take us to our meeting?

He then turns to the other people in the group, Adilia. So you make stoneware? Thats interesting. Do you specialize in any area? Art, or perhaps kitchenware?

And you sir, He says turning to Drath, What business might you be in?

OMG PONIES
2010-07-19, 11:55 AM
Wide-eyed, Adalia turns towards Conner. She quickly covers her look of disgust with a polite smile and purrs, "No, dear, I'm not in the platemaking business. I'm a jeweler. Adalio Nailo? Perhaps you've heard of Blue Nailo Fashions?" As a courtesy, she extends her hand to the man. "Enchanted," she says with a wink.

The Big Orc
2010-07-19, 08:40 PM
Drath
"My 'business', as you put it, is the work of Heironeous. I do as my god wishes and take no rewards for myself other then what is required for survival and his more difficult tasks," replies Drath. "Pleasure to make you acquaintance Mr..."

Fable Wright
2010-07-19, 09:19 PM
Tolin. he says, walking out the front door with the rest of the party in suit. As you approach the door to Lavinia and the plot, you wait for MOLOKH to post again before I continue, 'cause you need at least a party of 4.

MOLOKH
2010-07-20, 04:23 AM
Pops

"Well, I'm..." begins Pops but stops as the other group abruptly exists. He mumbles under his nose "Real lack of porightness in that guy. Okay then, less go find the way in to the entrance!"

Fable Wright
2010-07-24, 04:10 PM
You open the doors, and...
you enter a comfortable room, lit softly by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard, and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman wearing a long, flowing dress. She smiles as you enter, and says,
As you may have heard, I have recently inherited my parent's estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed to the Dawn Council, the harbormaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need to access my family's vault under Castle Teraknain.

And that's the problem, you see. The vaults are magically locked- keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it- ha had a thing about men wearing jewelry. He kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there is that the harbor-master's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears- he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent.

Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language... whch is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 crowns in return once I've accessed my vault.

MOLOKH
2010-07-24, 05:28 PM
Pops

"WHOA! Slow down lil' lady! I's got no idea wha'cha just said there. Ain't we here for yer buffday party? I's even gone and gots you yer presenk! 'Ere!

Pops walks over and hands her the cage with the parakeet.

Fable Wright
2010-07-24, 05:36 PM
She accepts the cage with a rather bemused look. I'm asking you to get Vark and his men off my ship, and possibly give me the money I gave him earlier. And it's not my birthday.

MOLOKH
2010-07-24, 05:45 PM
Pops

"So this Bark ferra gone'n stole yer ship and yer money?" Pops scratches his beard "This I can't stands! It ain't right ta steal a ship from it's cap'n, 'specially when the cap'ns so pretty! I's go there and whack those palookas right now!

Fable Wright
2010-07-24, 05:50 PM
Looking relieved that she could, in fact, communicate her purpose to pops, she says, Yes, that is what I was asking you to do. Diplomacy would be preferable, but it may come down to that. Please, wait, and help your companions here think of a plan of infiltrating the ship.

The Big Orc
2010-07-24, 06:11 PM
"Anything to right a wrong," states Drath while bowing.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-25, 07:27 AM
T, two hundred?! And we'll just be helping you get back what is already yours? Yes ma'am, I'll accept. But how to get on the ship? maybe we can board from the water?

Fable Wright
2010-07-25, 11:20 AM
You could board it from the docks, and try to get it back diplomatically, or you could board it secretly from the water. It's up to you. I just need that ship back. she says, looking worried.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-26, 05:40 AM
Alarm bells go off in Adalia's head. She needs to enter the vault, but didn't inherit the means to do so? Hmm, this may be true... The jeweler narrows her eyes as the woman provides the assignment, attempting to read her body language for signs of deception. However, as the Lady finishes her story, Adalia can't help but laugh.

"My good lady," she says with a slight curtsy, suppressing giggles, "diplomacy always works. You just need to know how your opponent thinks. Tell me, what do you know of Soller Vark?

ROLLS:
[roll0] Sense Motive to see if the Lady's words and intentions are true.

Fable Wright
2010-07-26, 10:50 AM
That's the problem. Vark has his own agenda. He works for his own behalf. I have no doubt that with enough money, he could be bought off. However, said money is locked in a bank vault and the key is on the ship. You see my dilemma here.

You are absolutely certain that she is telling you the truth about her story.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-26, 12:22 PM
Adalia raises a beautifully manicured finger. "Yes, but money isn't everything. Almost, but not quite. Are there any rumors about this Vark? His likes, dislikes, fears, and dreams?"

Fable Wright
2010-07-26, 01:39 PM
No. This man just works, and the only thing he wants is money. No one has ever unearthed secrets about him, and no one is quite sure of what he wants. He always answers, but it's different every time. And so far, no one can shake Vark. He's just there, and no one can place their finger on who he is.

OMG PONIES
2010-07-26, 03:31 PM
"Hmm, then our first step in getting back your property may be to figure out just who this man is," Adalia thinks aloud, tapping her fingernail against her lips. "But first, let me ask the details: how much did you pay for the months of mooring, and did you happen to acquire a receipt?"

Fable Wright
2010-07-26, 03:46 PM
I paid a hundred platinum for it. she says, looking crestfallen. I never got a receipt. If I did, I wouldn't be in this predicament, now would I?

The Big Orc
2010-07-26, 05:24 PM
"If the man himself is unmovable, then we will be incapable of retrieving the ship without removing him from the picture. If we remove him from the picture we will have local authorities all over us. Perhaps we could get legal permission to search his dwelling for the platinum you paid with. Anything different from those coins that may make them identifiable?"

Fable Wright
2010-07-26, 05:26 PM
There were no records of the payment. They were just standard coins. she says miserably. I cannot get a search warrant, despite my best arguments. I'm out of options. That's why I called you.

MOLOKH
2010-07-26, 05:36 PM
Pops

"If you can't use politics, use poli-kicks is what I says!"

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-27, 07:43 AM
"We could see if he has the money at his place of residence, or look for some way to blackmail him. Conner says to the group, then mutters something under his breath If only I was better at forgery, then I could just make a receipt...":smallsigh:

OMG PONIES
2010-07-27, 10:36 AM
Adalia smirks as Conner begins brainstorming--finally, someone who seemed as though they were on the same page as her. "Yes, yes, blackmail is always the most fun," the jeweler muses, "but it can prove quite difficult against someone so tight-lipped. Now, forgery, on the other hand...I would never advocate committing one crime to avenge another, but perhaps if the Lady could provide a few extra gold for supplies, I may be able to, er, acquire an official document showing completion of the debt." Batting her eyelashes, Adalia chuckles, "Or, at least, an official-LOOKING document."

[roll0] Diplomacy: to ask the Lady for enough gold to purchase a forgery kit and a focusing candle.

Fable Wright
2010-07-27, 10:51 AM
She stares blankly at you. The harbormaster keeps all of the receipts. If someone else has one, then it is a sure sign that it is a fake. It's to prevent walking off with someone else's ship, according to him.

The Big Orc
2010-07-27, 11:53 AM
"We should go in, talk to Vark. See how we can push him. Perhaps there is something we can do for him that he would be willing to tell the truth."

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-31, 10:29 AM
"Yes. That seems to be the best course of action"

The Big Orc
2010-08-02, 12:59 AM
I'm going to take my leave and start heading towards the harbor.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-02, 04:51 AM
Adalia also joins, but she is notably absent-minded as they walk. She finds herself wondering about Vark...what his weaknesses and secrets are. One way or another, she swears herself to finding out.

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-02, 08:14 AM
Conner follows as well after saying his goodbyes.

MOLOKH
2010-08-03, 05:47 AM
Pops

"Don'cha worry your pretty little head, missisus Verdorben! We'll bring you your ship back! Uk-uk-uk-uk!"

Pops walks out with the rest of the group.

Fable Wright
2010-08-05, 09:08 PM
When you arrive at the merchant district, you suddenly realized that you forgot to ask for directions on how to go to the ship. After hours of walking in circles, you finally arrive at pier 5 in the district. As you finally get to the edge of the dock, another thing suddenly strikes you as odd: The Blue Nixie is not tied to the docks at all, but is moored to a float about 100ft from the pier's edge.

You see 3 thugs on the main deck of the ship, and one thug at the head of it.

The Big Orc
2010-08-06, 07:33 PM
Drath will find someone to hire to take him out to the Blue Nixie.

Diplomacy check [/roll]1d20+8[roll]

(too see if he can get a good price :P)

The Big Orc
2010-08-06, 07:34 PM
apparently i messed that up

diplomacy check [roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-06, 07:44 PM
No. The boats are all out fishing. The other ones are heading out for family matters and don't want to be delayed. You could either a) ask the crew on the ship to give you a plank to walk across, or b) swim.

The Big Orc
2010-08-07, 11:32 AM
"Odd pier that has no row boats," mutters Drath. "Hey you there on the Blue Pixie, mind sending a plank across so we might walk over? Important business to conduct with you," Drath shouts.

Fable Wright
2010-08-07, 11:34 AM
An' Why should we lets you on? We're no s'posed to let any'un on da ship.

The Big Orc
2010-08-07, 02:04 PM
"Were here on behalf of Lady Vanderboren, we seek to speak with Vark to make a proposition."

Fable Wright
2010-08-07, 02:38 PM
(Person speaking needs a diplomacy check. Culmulative penalty for each persoon to fail a check.)

The Big Orc
2010-08-07, 07:15 PM
diplomacy check [roll0]

MOLOKH
2010-08-10, 05:40 AM
Pops

Yeah, what he said! So don'cha make me swim over there and bop ya and bring the ship over!

Can't say I didn't warn you. I'm not sure what or if I have to roll so here goes: [roll0] Whatever it is though, it probably gets a -2 charisma penalty.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-10, 05:52 AM
Adalia clears her throat.

"What my male compatriots are trying to say is this: I can't imagine that you enjoy being cooped up on that boat. How long it's been since you were able to walk the town freely, stop at your favorite tavern for a warm mug of ale...how long it's been since you've seen a woman, maybe your woman, your families, a large pouch of gold...We can give you those things, as we don't really like our job much more than you. So what do you say, put down a plank so we can hop aboard and get everything squared away so we can go back to enjoying the freedoms of life?"

ROLLS:
[roll0] Diplomacy
[roll1] Bluff, since I don't quite have that large pouch of gold.

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-10, 09:20 AM
Conner walks over tot the edge of the dock and looks over. How deep is the water in the harbor?

Fable Wright
2010-08-10, 02:48 PM
Ah' all right. Bu' only two at a time, dere. An' not you. he says, pointing at pops. The guard whispers to another guard, who goes scurrying off somewhere. They lower a plank across to the docks.

MOLOKH
2010-08-10, 03:51 PM
Pops

Pops squints with his good eye.

"Whaddya mean not me?! What am I? Some barnicle on the dingy of life? Bah!" He waves with his hand and turns to the rest of the group. "You's guys go get thems there moneys for the mississus and if those jug-heads give you any trouble you just wistle and I'ma twist their kishkes!"

The Big Orc
2010-08-10, 04:37 PM
Drath will go aboard. "Which one of you is Vark? The Lady Vanderboren tells me she has paid but that you deny it has happened. We've come to negotiate terms for your truthfulness."

diplomacy check if needed [roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-10, 04:39 PM
Vark ain't here now. We're gettin' him.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-11, 08:33 AM
Adalia raises a suspicious eyebrow, but her wide smiles fades not even an inch. "Very well then, gents," she coos, wondering to herself if there even is a Vark, "am I to take it that he's elsewhere on the ship, or that he's actually stepped aground?"

[roll0] Sense Motive to see if the man we've been told does nothing but work is actually not there. Additionally, Adalia has more she would like to say, but it's slightly dependent on my check result and the answer to my question.

Fable Wright
2010-08-11, 04:25 PM
He's there. You're sure of it.

Fable Wright
2010-08-13, 05:15 PM
He looks at you suspiciously. Why d'ya gots to know?

The Big Orc
2010-08-13, 08:19 PM
"We have to know so that we can be facing him when he comes out too greet us." smiles Drath, "Surely he would rather see our faces then our backs. Also, we had heard he was a work-aholic and were wondering if these accusations were true."

Fable Wright
2010-08-13, 08:23 PM
Well, I don' see much diff'rence between you' faces and rears. An' you don' gots to know whether he's a worko'holic or nots.

Note: you need to make a successful diplomacy or intimidate check to get anything out of these people.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-14, 05:42 AM
"No, no," Adalia laughs, "I suppose we don't. However, the quicker we see him, the quicker our business can be done. The longer you wait, the longer your boss Vark is prevented from feeling the cool chill of coin in his hand. And from what I know about Mr. Vark, any delay in that could cause some very negative consequences for the delayers. So let's hurry now, shall we?"

Honestly, I'm not sure whether this is more Diplomacy or Intimidate, but my modifier's the same for both. [roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-14, 05:51 AM
Ah tolds yous already. We's getting Vark now! the thug explains, looking exasperated. Ah can't get him up here an' faster!
At this moment, a tall, very dark-skinned man with a wicked-looking rapier at his waist. He sneers at you, and you can swear that he has orc blood somewhere in his heritage. What're you doing here? This here ain't your ship. Get lost before I call the town guard. he says, saying 'you' and 'your' like they're the worst insults he could think of.

The Big Orc
2010-08-14, 11:24 AM
Drath smiles, "You must be Vark, pleasure to meet you. We have come on behalf of Lady Vanderboren. She tells us that she has made the proper payments for the return of her ship and that you are not following through on your side. We have come to make a deal with you to arrange for it's return."
Drath uses Detect Evil on the new guy.

diplomacy check [roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-14, 02:35 PM
He doesn't register as evil.

She didn't pay fer her ship back yet. Else, she would have her ship back. Yer tryin' to steal the ship. Get lost b'fore I call the town guard.

The Big Orc
2010-08-16, 03:32 AM
There will be no need for that. You claim the Lady has not yet payed but she tells us that you lie too your master who trusts you too much for his own good! Now, regardless of which is true we come to make a deal with you for the return of the ship. We ask you what it is that we can do for you that would be enough for either the truth, or to help the Lady out. I am sure that with a little patience the Lady would be willing to pay more then the 100 platinum that she has already given you.

diplomacy check [roll0]
(incase you want it as im sure i would be intimidated if someone had made such a speach at me regardless of there intention)
intimidate check [roll1]

Fable Wright
2010-08-16, 03:35 AM
He scoffs and says, Fe! She didn't pay me in the first place. I think she sent ye to get her ship back without payin' fer it. Now get lost before I call the guard.

OOC: No, she sent you there so that she wouldn't have to pay the 100pp again.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-16, 07:32 AM
Adalia steps forward and, with a slight curtsy, extends her hand to Vark. "Adalia Nailo," she coos, "absolutely enchanted to make your acquaintance. Now, I'm sure there's been some sort of misunderstanding, seeing as how the lady is adamant that she has payed, while you are equally fervent that she has not. She provided a detailed recollection of the events leading up to this point, which didn't register as a lie to me...and I would know, sugar. So, if you could please humor a silly little girl like me, can you provide a brief history from the time the ship entered your care up to present? If the Lady is lying, we'll get you your payment. I don't take kindly to being lied to."

OOC: Adalia casts Charm Person on Vark (the verbal component she uses for this spell is "absolutely enchanted to make your acquaintance"), Will DC 16 negates.

ROLLS:
[roll0] Sense Motive to see if Vark is telling the truth so far.
[roll1] Bluff for that whole "we'll get you your payment" thing.

Fable Wright
2010-08-16, 07:50 AM
I'm going to rule that you need to make a spellcraft check to do it.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-16, 08:34 AM
OOC: Out of curiosity, why do I need to make a Spellcraft check to cast my own spell?

Fable Wright
2010-08-16, 08:34 AM
To use nonstandard verbal components.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-16, 08:51 AM
OOC: Okay, I'll go with it. Out of curiosity, is there any precedent in the rules, or is this just a houserule? I've never heard anything about "nonstandard" verbal components. My groups have always played that spell names and verbal components could be generic, or tailored by the individual...which always made it fun to shout "HADOUKEN!" while casting fireball. :smallsmile: Of course, my group could have been the one using a houserule all along.

ROLLS:
[roll0] Spellcraft

Fable Wright
2010-08-16, 09:06 AM
Well, the thing is, there is nothing in the rules about it. I decided, therefore, that you would need a successful spellcraft check to use related words to cast the spell. Unfortunately, he made his save. With a natural 20. However, he does not react to your casting of the spell.

There's nothin' to it. She lied. The ship sank, and then sat in the docks for a month. Now, she has to pay the rent for the month before she gets it back. That's all there is.

You get the feeling he's telling the truth...

OMG PONIES
2010-08-16, 11:11 AM
OOC: In the future, would you be okay with actually using the forum dice roller in-post? I hate my negative nature, but I'm growing suspicious that you want us to fight the guy and won't accept any other options. I've tried suggesting forgery, blackmail/non-monetary bribery, diplomacy, and enchantment, and every time I've got a firm "no."

Fable Wright
2010-08-16, 06:11 PM
Frankly, I rolled my own die, and he got 2 20s, a 19, and 3 17s. I used the forum die roller (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9154071&postcount=582), and he still got a natural 20. You could still try the spell again, but I don't have to show you my rolls.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-17, 08:22 AM
OOC: Whoah, sorry. I didn't mean to offend--a simple, "no, I'm rolling my own dice" would suffice.

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-17, 02:37 PM
Conner waits at the foot of the plank, listening somewhat and looking into the water between dock and ship.
Listen:
[roll0]
"Did he say the ship sank? Strange thing to happen in harbor..."

Fable Wright
2010-08-17, 09:15 PM
Varks grins viciously. Didn't you hear? Mr and Mrs Vanderboren were bringing some barrels of alchemist's fire for trading when they set sail. There was an accident, and then the whole ship burned to the waterline. The repair bill's included with the docking bill; hence the extra 90 platinum.

You hear nothing unusual.

The Big Orc
2010-08-17, 11:47 PM
Drath whispers in Adalia's ear, "If he is telling the truth, and I have no reason to believe Lady Vanderboren over him, then I will not take action here. By law, there is nothing to prove this mans guilt in lying to the authorities. He may also be telling the truth and it may be Lady Vanderboren lying to us. We need a way to find out for sure." Out loud, "Mister Vark, in the holds of this ship is an item that would provide Lady Vanderboren access to more then enough funds to pay for her ship and its repairs. If we were allowed to retrieve it we could be back by noon tomorrow with the money."

my turn for a sense motive check!!! [roll0]
also I'm going to use detect evil on the rest of Varks group

Fable Wright
2010-08-17, 11:51 PM
None of them are evil. However, you know that Vark is deceiving you about something. Possibly several somethings.

Yeah, no. I'm not fallin' for that. If there was something here, it's the property of the docks, now. You're trying to steal from me. Get lost before I call the town guard. he says angrily.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-18, 05:33 AM
Adalia places her hand on her chin. "There's nothing to fall for, friend. Either you can allow us to retrieve our small mundane item, during which time your platinum would collect interest, or you can allow the ship to sit here unpaid, during which time it will collect nothing but barnacles. Surely you can see which is the better business decision. 24 hours is all we ask--you've already lost far much more time than that with this headache, have you not?"

ROLLS:
[roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-18, 05:51 AM
No. he says, seeming adamant about it.

Make a sense motive check.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-18, 07:33 AM
[roll0] Sense Motive

Fable Wright
2010-08-18, 07:34 AM
You sense that he is not willing to give ground on this matter, but little else.

Anyone else who has sense motive, you can use it too.

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-18, 08:49 AM
Sense Motive
[roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-18, 08:53 AM
You sense that he is adamant on his decision, and that he's unlikely to renege on it unless magically compelled to do so.

The Big Orc
2010-08-18, 10:46 AM
sense motive [roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-18, 10:49 AM
You get the feeling that he won't back down, but you also see, in his eyes, fear. He's afraid of something. You just don't know what, but it has to do with you searching the ship...

The Big Orc
2010-08-18, 09:19 PM
"Sir, perhaps this talk would go over better with a round of drinks, my treat. What do you say?"asks Drath.
diplomacy chekc [roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-18, 09:55 PM
No. Get away from my ship or else I call the guard. Scram! he says, glaring at you.

The Big Orc
2010-08-18, 11:34 PM
Drath whispers to Adalia, "What if we went to talk to the harbormaster and see if he will let us search the ship?"

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 11:47 AM
Adalia eyes Vark coolly. Worth threatening, at least. Who wants to bother their boss?

"No need to call the guard, friend. I just didn't want to bother the harbormaster if I didn't have to--you know how he can get. I thought you were in charge here. I mean, you are in charge, aren't you? So just a casual search to grab our item. You can even come with us, and our lips are sealed. Nobody will even know we were here, and you'll get your money in no time. What do you say?"

[roll0] Diplomacy

Fable Wright
2010-08-24, 12:13 PM
No. You will not enter this ship. Got it?

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 12:27 PM
"Very well," Adalia says, "we'll have to do things the hard way."

OOC: Adalia casts Color Spray against Vark (and any cronies within a 15ft cone, but I think you mentioned they were much farther away). Will save, DC 16.

Fable Wright
2010-08-24, 12:27 PM
...you do realize that you're 115ft away, on the dock, right?

I'm wrong. Sorry.

MOLOKH
2010-08-24, 12:33 PM
OOC: Isn't that Pops?

Fable Wright
2010-08-24, 01:15 PM
They both fall unconscious.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 02:09 PM
"Pops," Adalia calls to the cantakerous old man, "grab a rope and tie these two up."

OOC: How far away is the remaining crony (and do we see any others)? I have words for them, and what I see/say affects what I say to my fellow party members. Please refrain from action until I get an answer and complete this post.

MOLOKH
2010-08-24, 02:27 PM
Pops

Pops flashes a ravaged by scurvy grin and begins walking over the plank (it is still there, right?) as he reaches over in his backpack and starts feeling over inside for the cold touch of a metal chain.

Fable Wright
2010-08-24, 03:04 PM
Here's a rough map. The thug, seeing you knock his leader unconscious, yells out Help! These people are attacking us!
Roll for initiative.
|#|#|\|_|T|=|_|_|D|A|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|=|_|_|/|#|
|#|#|#|#\ |S|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|S| /#|#|#|

X is a mast pole.
= indicated that there is a change in altitude. You can go in these squares, but you have to climb 5 feet to move past them.
B is part of an escape boat.
S are the stairs.
O is a ladder leading to the lower decks
T are the thugs
# is the water
V is Vark
A is Adalia
D is Drath

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 03:44 PM
Adalia looks up at the conscious thug and hisses, "Call out that it was a false alarm, or you'll get the same and worse!"

OOC: What is the O for?

[roll0] Initiative

Fable Wright
2010-08-24, 03:46 PM
Need an intimidate check for that.

Also, the O is for a ladder leading to the lower decks; I'll edit that in.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 03:50 PM
[roll0] Intimidate. Duh, my fault.

OOC: That's a pretty damn good map, especially for ASCII!

Fable Wright
2010-08-24, 03:56 PM
Never mind! he shouts in reply, to a chorus of grunts and complaints from the lower decks.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 03:58 PM
OOC: Does this take us out of initiative? If so, I'd like to cast Charm Person on that thug.

Fable Wright
2010-08-24, 04:00 PM
Yes. You successfully evaded conflict. You can still charm him, though.

MOLOKH
2010-08-24, 04:12 PM
Initiative [roll0]

I was looking at the flaws and I noticed that there are several different ones for One-Eye, that I have. Some give penalties to different skills or dexterity checks, others halve the range of spells and ranged attacks, and the one I originally found at roleplaynexus (http://www.roleplaynexus.com/flawsjr.html) gives a "-2 penalty on all checks invloving vision". So, as it's rather vague, I'd like the DM's take on the flaw.
edit: strikethrough. And Pops is still walking along the plank.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 04:19 PM
Oh, I most definitely intend on charming him. Will DC 16 to negate.

Fable Wright
2010-08-24, 04:19 PM
@MOLOKH: That's an OOC comment, please post there in the future. But it's -4 on search and spot checks, -2 on all ranged attacks, and the ranged increment with any ranged weapon or spell is reduced by 1/2.

I'll roll will save after the IC blurb.

The Big Orc
2010-08-24, 05:33 PM
Drath, very uncomfortable with the turn of events, says "Did it really have to come to this? I mean I'm sure the harbormaster would have been more willing to allow us to retrieve the item. Anyways, who is going to stay up here to watch that last guy and who will search for the ring?"

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-25, 12:07 PM
Conner moves onto thhe boat as well and whispers Geez. did anyone hear how many voices came from below?! Oh man that lady better be paying for our court fees when we get cought! :smalleek:

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 12:40 PM
Adalia rolls her eyes. "Both of you, quit your whining," she whispers. "I've got an idea. I'm going to go talk to our friend above deck, while you two put Vark and his sleeping friend in the escape boats, then cut them loose. Our new friend will come downstairs with us. After all, it'll lend credence to the fact that we're on 'official city business'." She winks at her compatriots. "Just play along."

OOC: Roll that will save whenever--I'm intent on charming the man above deck.

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 12:44 PM
You succeed.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 01:10 PM
Adalia saunters up the steps, extending her hand to her new friend. "Eliza Atterberry," she says by way of introduction, "absolutely charmed. Terribly sorry to bother you, but we've come on behalf of the city's Nautical Committee to investigate the structural soundness of this vessel. We fear that a weak adhesive may have been used in repairs, causing some warping and releasing noxious fumes. Tell me, are there other crewmembers on board? If so, we'd best get them onto the docks and quick!"

[roll0] Bluff

OOC: Mea culpa, I thought he was farther away and not hearing our conversation.

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 01:12 PM
Uh... what? You were just saying for the last 5 minutes that Ms. Vanderboren sent you to collect ownership of the ship. You never said anything about ship structures.

He was there the whole time.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 01:21 PM
Unfazed, Adalia continues. "Well, of course. Mister Vark wouldn't let me get to the meat of the matter. We need to search the ship to collect an item of importance to the lady, as well as to examine the integrity and safety of the hull. It wouldn't do much good for her to reclaim a sinking ship, now would it?" She laughs, resting her hand playfully on the thug's arm. "Now, if a brave man like you would be willing to escort us below...well, I'd have to find some way to thank you."

ROLLS:
[roll0] Bluff again
[roll1] Diplomacy as well, maybe?

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 01:25 PM
No. We can't let you go into ship. It's not allowed. We can't let you in there.

Note: I need a use rope check from someone to tie up Vark, and the charm person spell allows for an opposed charisma check to get other people to do what you say.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 01:57 PM
"Listen, darlin'," Adalia coos, "I can understand if you have your protocol. But you have a simple choice: do you want to enjoy the company of a charming lady like myself for a few minutes? Or run the risk of fiercely guarding a flimsy ship, leading to the possible drowning death of yourself and your friends? Sometimes, a little rule has to bend...especially if it's for a good reason."

ROLLS:
[roll0] Diplomacy (or Intimidate, since it is using fear as a motivator...I'm trying to keep the tone friendly, so it's more like a warning. I leave it up to the DM, though. Same modifier for each skill, so I think one check is good.
[roll1] CHA check if this is against his nature.

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 01:59 PM
No. You don't understand. I can't let you into the ship. It's not just protocol.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 02:20 PM
Adalia furrows her brow. "Well then, friend, what is it?"

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 02:22 PM
I can't tell you.
(You need an opposed charisma check at this point. But you're finally getting to the heart of the matter.)

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 02:54 PM
"Sure you can, sweetheart," Adalia chimes as she leans close to the man, "just whisper it in my ear. I won't tell."

ROLLS:
[roll0] CHA check. It's just flat CHA, right, not +level or anything? I'm not too familiar with straight-up ability checks.

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 03:14 PM
We're hiding some... exotic creatures on the ship. We're supposed to sell them tonight, to a buyer in the merchant district.

Yes, that't how you make the check.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 03:37 PM
Adalia leans back and blinks. "While that's a heavy breach of customs protocol, it concerns the Trade Committee far more than the Nautical Committee." She winks at the helpful sailor. "Now, it is typically my duty to file a report detailing such infractions, but maybe if we could just do a quick search for our own purposes, perhaps those noxious fumes would make me...forget...any exotic creatures onboard. No report. All we need is a few minutes alone on the ship."

ROLLS:
[roll0] Bluff for pulling committees out of my butt.
[roll1] Diplomacy for my "deal"
[roll2] CHA check if it's against his nature.

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 03:39 PM
Well... it couldn't hurt. Ok. he says, leading you to the ladder leading below.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 03:51 PM
Adalia pauses and shakes her head gently, "No, no, friend," she says with a patient smile, "you need to get your men off the boat first, remember? You know, too many people below deck could put too much stress on any warped wood, causing a horrible catastrophe. I don't want it to be my head or yours for the loss of any crew or...cargo..." the elf says with a knowing nod, as if to tell the sailor that his secret is safe with her.

ROLLS:
[roll0] Bluffing the reason behind the evacuation.
[roll1] For the "eat, drink and be merry" offer.

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 03:52 PM
Alright. He says, heading off of the ship.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 04:06 PM
"Oh, yoohoo, darlin'" Adalia calls after the man as he starts to leave. "You don't want to go off having fun without your fellow crewmen, do you?"

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 04:11 PM
Uh... I don't think they'd want to come. They're getting big cuts of this, and they are kind of aggressive. Last time I complained, I was out for a week.

MOLOKH
2010-08-25, 04:38 PM
Pops

Pops makes his way across the plank with wide and sure-footed steps.
Hehe! Wa'cha knock 'em out with, charms or too much fancy talk? He walks over to Vark. "Not lettin' a sailor aboard a ship, huh? Missisus Verdorben dinn't like my birdie, you thinks she'd like this guy as a present? I'ma even wrap him up for 'er!

Pops will wait for Adalia to finish her conversation before binding Vark with the chain. If he can't actually do that he also has rope.

Use Rope [roll0]

The Big Orc
2010-08-26, 07:37 PM
"Hmmm it would appear as though there is a noble reason for searching this ship and tearing those who would appose us apart. Well once you are all ready I'd be happy to lead the way to justice!"

OMG PONIES
2010-08-27, 06:29 AM
Adalia bats her eyelashes at her new companion. "Aggressive? Oh my, perhaps I should stay awful close to you. Just head down first: let them know that we're from the city, we're with you, and we won't say word one about any unusual imports if we can just conduct our search in peace."

OOC: Previous posts retconned to keep sailor boy on the boat.

Fable Wright
2010-08-27, 06:41 AM
Um... Ok... he says, looking nervous, and he heads down below the ship. You then hear, You did what? and then the sound of fists on flesh, screaming, and then the sound of a body hitting the floor.

[[roll initiative]]

[[I'm going to assume that Pops and Connor are on board. I need the use rope check; you would have tied them up during the conversation. Just please, someone, give me the check.]]

OMG PONIES
2010-08-27, 06:59 AM
[roll0] Initiative

MOLOKH
2010-08-27, 09:01 AM
Initiative [roll0]
Use Rope is in my previous post.

Fable Wright
2010-08-27, 09:12 AM
Missed that, sorry. :smallredface:

The Big Orc
2010-08-27, 11:11 AM
initiative [roll0]

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-28, 07:20 AM
Init!
[roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-28, 01:04 PM
Around 10 seconds after you heard the body hit the ground, you see thugs coming up from the hole leading belowdecks. They come up 3 at a time, and there are currently 3 thugs in a circle around the hole going belowdecks.

|#|#|\|_|_|=|_|_|_|T|T|_|_|_|P|C|_|_|_|=|_|_|/|#|
|#|#|#|#\ |S|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|A|_|_|_|_|S| /#|#|#|

X is a mast pole.
= indicated that there is a change in altitude. You can go in these squares, but you have to climb 5 feet to move past them.
S are the stairs.
T are the thugs
# is the water
V is Vark
A is Adalia
D is Drath
P is Pops
C is Conner

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-31, 07:07 AM
Gonna step back when my turn comes around

The Big Orc
2010-08-31, 10:14 AM
once it's drath's turn, he is going to draw his Longsword and use detect evil on the group of men

Fable Wright
2010-08-31, 11:52 AM
Gonna step back when my turn comes around
How far, and which direction it 'back'?

once it's drath's turn, he is going to draw his Longsword and use detect evil on the group of men

None of them register as evil.

Vizzerdrix
2010-09-01, 07:03 AM
5 feet. away from the Thugs.

Fable Wright
2010-09-01, 11:30 AM
Ok. Any other actions?

Vizzerdrix
2010-09-02, 07:47 AM
not from me.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-02, 08:21 AM
Can we post the initiative order?

Fable Wright
2010-09-02, 02:50 PM
Vizzerdrix-TheBigOrc-Thugs-OMG PONIES-MOLOKH

Fable Wright
2010-09-09, 05:13 PM
The thugs charge forward, yelling loudly. One of the thugs goes after Drath, one charges towards Pops, and one closes into and slashes Adalia. Drath flips the thug who attacked him onto his back, causing the thug to land with a resounding 'thump', and he just lies there prone for several seconds. The thug who goes after Conner also misses, but managed to avoid a counterattack. However, the last thug manages to get in a slash at Adalia. Take 5 damage.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-10, 06:02 AM
OOC: Sorry, but could we have an updated map? I need to know how to best position my spells, and I think the one that attacked Conner would have to go around all of us, possibly provoking some AoOs.

Fable Wright
2010-09-10, 07:16 AM
|#|#|\|_|_|=|_|_|_|T|T|_|_|T|P|C|_|_|_|=|_|_|/|#|
|#|#|#|#\ |S|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|T|A|_|_|_|_|S| /#|#|#|

X is a mast pole.
S are the stairs.
T are the thugs
# is the water
V is Vark
A is Adalia
D is Drath
P is Pops
C is Conner

They all provoke attacks of opportunity, and three more thugs climbed up on deck.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-10, 08:12 AM
Adalia raises her hand towards the approaching thugs, unleashing another blast of vivid, sickening light.

1d20+4 Concentration to cast defensively
Adalia casts Color Spray, Will save DC 16 for the thug in the square directly to the left of her, as well as the one in the square directly below the O.

OOC: How did a thug attack Conner?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-10, 08:17 AM
[roll0] Concentration, again.

OOC: Oy, 'twas bad. Hopefully this AoO misses.

Fable Wright
2010-09-10, 10:56 AM
Typo. It was pops. Fortunately, you managed to barely evade his attack of opportunity.

MOLOKH
2010-09-10, 02:01 PM
Pops

Pops takes a step back to avoid the thugs swing.
"So you wanna fight, eh? I'll take ya all on one at a time! WHAM!
He thrusts his trunk-like arm at the man who attacked him.

Pops will deal non-lethal damage for the whole battle, unless I specify otherwise.
Unarmed attack on the thug in front of Pops - [roll0] , damage - [roll1]

In case of a crit threat - [roll2] , damage - [roll3]

Fable Wright
2010-09-10, 04:43 PM
The thug gets hit by the blow full on. He staggers, and then begins to flee from you.

The thugs managed to avert their eyes from the blinding colors of Adalia's spell, evading it's effects.