PDA

View Full Version : [4e] For a hybrid Ranger/Fighter, would Huntmaster be a viable PP?

Faleldir
2010-07-10, 01:47 PM
The Huntmaster's level 11 class feature lets you mark your Quarry and get an attack bonus against it. Combined with Marked Scourge, that's amazing. The only problem is that you have to wield a spear, and all the spear builds for Fighters I know use a shield or a polearm. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up Twin Strike for that. What are your thoughts about this class feature?

Mando Knight
2010-07-10, 02:07 PM
Use the Tratnyr, unless you go melee-only, in which case you should use the Trident or Urgrosh. (AV1 all)

You're a hybrid... you can't follow the basic builds for the component classes to the letter. You're already not proficient with shields unless you spend the feat or Hybrid Talent on it. Two-Weapon Defense will give you the same defense bonus as a light shield anyway, though, so your defenses won't suffer too much. I don't see much of a problem picking a one-handed spear you like and sticking with that.

The problem with the prerequisite feat is that its associated powers are fairly weak choices for a Hybrid, since Sure Strike kills your DPR even more than even simply using a Fighter power rather than a Twin Strike-like power (though the slow effect might make up for it), and Fading Strike isn't even an option if you want to use Twin Strike.

NecroRebel
2010-07-10, 02:11 PM
Well, you've got to pay a feat to enter that paragon path, and use weapons that aren't particularly good. Twin Strike doesn't benefit from the combat style feat, either. You could, however, take Hybrid Talent to gain the Ranger's two-weapon style and wield a pair of spears, thus allowing you to use Twin Strike easily, but that loses the option to take the Hunter style and thus the associated benefit with the combat style's associated Ranger at-will.

This would be a weird build, and probably loses more than it gains, though it could be made to work I think. Part of the problem is that hybrid characters are so difficult to build for. Honestly, I'm just not sure if Wis-to-damage on your quarry is worth the prices you pay to hybridize and combat stylize your character like that. If you could get Combat Challenge with a multiclass, that would be far better, but I don't know of any way to do that.

Mando Knight
2010-07-10, 02:17 PM
If you do take Fading Strike, make sure you're either grabbing Dual Strike for your Fighter At-Will or take Human as your race. The +1 At-Will helps here.

Anasazi
2010-07-11, 01:25 PM
Necro is right with that route, however the biggest issue with that build is that you're using your one hybrid talent feat on picking up the hunter weapon style, which means your defenses will suffer heavily (in addition to how bad it will be from stat spreading, ie: wis, str, con, dex), combine that with marking targets, and you'll end up begging your enemy to come eat your squishy rear.

I can see the value in using the Huntmaster pp though, +2 to hit on a quarry and marked target is nice, but you must consider all options there. I'd also like to point out that although the huntmaster pp requires the spear style, nowhere does it state that that level 11 benefit is specific to spear weapons only.

If you still want to take real advantage of that +2 to hit with dual weapons, I suggest the following:
rebuild your character into a ranger|warden:huntmaster. dump your stats into str and con, and take the hybrid talent feat for the warden: armored might (earthstrength). pick yourself up some 1h Maw of the Guardian hammer/maces. Theres a feat out there also that adds an extra 2 damage to all hits in guardian form so long as you're using maces or hammers, take that too. Grab a shield for emergencies, and dump your daily's (minus the one thats requires due to hybrid) into warden guardian form's.
Now, this build is heavily reliant upon you staying in guardian form, but if you do each one of your weapons will have an extra 2+Con Mod extra damage per hit, plus whatever bonus' of the form you're using (and some of them can be quite nasty) plus your weapon bonus.

Faleldir
2010-07-11, 01:50 PM
What? I never said anything about Hunter Fighting Style.

Anasazi
2010-07-11, 01:55 PM
no.. necro did, in an effort to provide a use for spears in twin strike, which is what I was referring to.

NecroRebel
2010-07-11, 02:17 PM
no.. necro did, in an effort to provide a use for spears in twin strike, which is what I was referring to.

But... I said that you would take the two-weapon style to use spears in Twin Strike, since otherwise you can't wield one-handed weapons in each hand. I said that if you did that, you couldn't take the Hunter style, which is only an issue if you're taking the Hunting Spear Style feat's associated Ranger power.

Incidentally, Mando's option of using an Urgrosh instead of two spears is a better one. Then again, Fading Strike isn't particularly good, even with the Hunter style, so you might as well skip it.