PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Strike question

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-10, 03:14 PM
Just a quick question: When attacking an opponent using unarmed strike, do you use their full AC or their touch AC?

Prodan
2010-07-10, 03:16 PM
Oh, if only you used their touch AC...

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-10, 03:20 PM
Oh, if only you used their touch AC...

:smallfrown: That's the answer I was dreading... I was thinking about it, and I thought "How does wearing a piece of leather stop my punch to the face?"

Prodan
2010-07-10, 03:26 PM
Several sets of armor come with helmets, iirc.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-10, 03:27 PM
Several sets of armor come with helmets, iirc.

Oh course, silly me... :smallredface:

Thanks Prodan :smallsmile:

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-10, 03:29 PM
:smallfrown: That's the answer I was dreading... I was thinking about it, and I thought "How does wearing a piece of leather stop my punch to the face?"

:smallconfused: By that logic, armor does nothing to Daggers, or anything and that stab either.

Tetsubo 57
2010-07-10, 03:30 PM

Well, if you are wearing armour on your torss you are also most likely wearing a helmet of some variety. In D&D it is simply assumed that your helmet is of the same armour type as the rest of your armour.

If you were to use touch AC for unarmed attacks, they would become *very* powerful. Though people might stop complaining about the Monk finally. :)

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-10, 03:32 PM
Well, if you are wearing armour on your torss you are also most likely wearing a helmet of some variety. In D&D it is simply assumed that your helmet is of the same armour type as the rest of your armour.

If you were to use touch AC for unarmed attacks, they would become *very* powerful. Though people might stop complaining about the Monk finally. :)

Nah, that would make people play unarmed Barbarians and Warblades, let alone Unarmed Swordsages.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-11, 01:01 AM
I was thinking about it, and I thought "How does wearing a piece of leather stop my punch to the face?"

Unfortunately, unarmed strikes don't exclusively target the face region. You can, for instance, also knee them in the groin.

Saya
2010-07-11, 01:14 AM
Unfortunately, unarmed strikes don't exclusively target the face region. You can, for instance, also knee them in the groin.

Which brings up with the question of why having a bigger fist (Battlefist graft), suddenly makes your kicks to the groin that much more painful...

Devils_Advocate
2010-07-11, 01:21 AM
I was thinking about it, and I thought "How does wearing a piece of leather stop my punch to the face?"
It... doesn't. It blocks the punches (and kicks, and various armed strikes) that land on the armor. Duh?

Kylarra
2010-07-11, 01:26 AM
Which brings up with the question of why having a bigger fist (Battlefist graft), suddenly makes your kicks to the groin that much more painful...They're distracted by your big fist.

Greenish
2010-07-11, 01:33 AM
Nah, that would make people play unarmed Barbarians and Warblades, let alone Unarmed Swordsages.Fist of the Forest will bite your nose off after punching your pretty, unarmoured face.

Xuc Xac
2010-07-11, 02:15 AM

The same way carrying a shield keeps you from taking a sword to the eye. In order to punch them in the face, you have to avoid hitting all the armored areas. It's a much smaller target. Rather than saying "you take -x to your roll to hit them in the unarmored spots" it's easier to just say "you have to beat their AC to hurt them".

AslanCross
2010-07-11, 03:22 AM

You only hit the face when you roll high enough to hit his AC. That's how I've always seen rolling attacks---you don't always hit where you want to hit, and your blows don't always have the effect you'd like them to have even if they did connect.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-11, 03:32 AM
You only hit the face when you roll high enough to hit his AC. That's how I've always seen rolling attacks---you don't always hit where you want to hit, and your blows don't always have the effect you'd like them to have even if they did connect.

Exactly, real combat isn't like a boxing match where two guys stand toe to toe and punch each other in the face.

Saya
2010-07-11, 04:22 AM
As an aside, if you do somehow convince the DM to let you play an incorporeal character, your unarmed strike will do touch AC

AslanCross
2010-07-11, 05:49 AM
As an aside, if you do somehow convince the DM to let you play an incorporeal character, your unarmed strike will do touch AC

Incorporeal Touch attacks actually have one caveat that sets them apart from all other touch attacks: force effects apply against them. As such, having Mage Armor on won't reduce the orc barbarian's ability to hit you with his touch attack to start a grapple, but it will potentially prevent a wraith from draining your Con.

nedz
2010-07-11, 10:08 AM

Aside from the fact that your fist will pass straight through them :smallcool:

Xuc Xac
2010-07-11, 10:24 AM
Aside from the fact that your fist will pass straight through them :smallcool:

That's so much more impressive when you're corporeal. :smallwink: