PDA

View Full Version : Urgent question about Favoured Souls

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-10, 04:11 PM
I seem to remember reading multiple times that Favoured Souls are under/overpowered, but can't remember which or if I read that at all. Am I correct in thinking this?

Defiant
2010-07-10, 04:13 PM
Tier 2

On par with Sorcerers

tyckspoon
Generally considered under-powered. They have the Sorcerer's spells known and slower spell level acquisition, picking from a generally weaker list (gods help you if your group pressures you into picking the Cure X Wounds line, it's a horrible trap for a Favored Soul), and have dual casting stats in addition to being encouraged to gish it up a bit with their granted Weapon Focus. Plus no domains or Turning, so they can't access a lot of the niftier splat additions for the Cleric.

That said, they *are* a full casting class and they do get to play with the Cleric list; they're just weaker than most other casting classes.

Scarey Nerd
Tier 2

On par with Sorcerers

I'm not overly familiar with the tier system, what is that in layman's terms?

The Glyphstone
2010-07-10, 04:16 PM
capable of easily breaking the game/overshadowing the rest of the party on a regular basis and a variety of situation, but only in a few limited ways. For comparison, Tier 1's are classes like the Wizard, Cleric, and Druid, who can change out their spell selection from day to day.

Defiant
2010-07-10, 04:17 PM
I'm not overly familiar with the tier system, what is that in layman's terms?

There are 6 tiers, tier 1 being massively-awesomely-powerful and tier 6 being useless-can't-do-anything.

Favoured Soul is in tier 2.

You can read the specifics here:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0

Tier 2: Has as much raw power as the Tier 1 classes, but can't pull off nearly as many tricks, and while the class itself is capable of anything, no one build can actually do nearly as much as the Tier 1 classes. Still potencially campaign smashers by using the right abilities, but at the same time are more predictable and can't always have the right tool for the job. If the Tier 1 classes are countries with 10,000 nuclear weapons in their arsenal, these guys are countries with 10 nukes. Still dangerous and world shattering, but not in quite so many ways. Note that the Tier 2 classes are often less flexible than Tier 3 classes... it's just that their incredible potential power overwhelms their lack in flexibility.