PDA

View Full Version : Epic Level Optimisation

Exthalion
2010-07-10, 05:10 PM
Okay, I will soon be starting an Epic level game. Here are the starting conditions:
40 point buy
lv 30
starting wealth
30,000 XP to spend on items, spells to power, etc.

I am considering Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice), StP Erudite 3, Cerebromancer 6, Mind Mage 10, Rainbow Servant 10

There are no epic spells, instead true 10+ level spells. Improved Spellcasting Capacity is required though bonus spells can be gained from high ability scores.

So, how can I make this meaningful at level 30 without knowing what the 10+ spells are? What kind of feats should I take? What should my spell selection look like?

I am fairly certain a good chunk of the gold is going to a headband of int +12. Should I spend gold or XP on Wish to boost my Int?

I have never played in an Epic campaign before so I don't know what kind of damage I should be looking at or how much I should be buffing.

Edit: No DMM

woodenbandman
2010-07-10, 05:12 PM
So with that build you basically have every spell ever?

Ok. That's probably about as optimized as anyone could ever need/want.

Prodan
2010-07-10, 05:15 PM
Not enough Incantatrix.

nargbop
2010-07-10, 05:49 PM
Not certain what you mean by 'True' 10+ level spells. There are none written in standard DnD.
You can gain 10th, 11th and so on slots using the Improved Spellcasting Capacity feat and high ability scores. You fill these slots with metamagic-adjusted spells. For instance, you cannot normally cast a Maximized Meteor Swarm, but with a high-enough level slot, you can.

tyckspoon
2010-07-10, 06:08 PM
Not certain what you mean by 'True' 10+ level spells. There are none written in standard DnD.
You can gain 10th, 11th and so on slots using the Improved Spellcasting Capacity feat and high ability scores. You fill these slots with metamagic-adjusted spells. For instance, you cannot normally cast a Maximized Meteor Swarm, but with a high-enough level slot, you can.

I would think he means he and/or his DM intend to write some, as an alternative to using the largely unworkable Epic Spell mechanics. It's not like "There are no 10th level spells" is an actual rule of the game; they just decided not to write any, and whether or not there can be 10th level spells is a matter of setting (they are forbidden in Forgotten Realms, for example, because they have too much potential to screw with the universe. I'm not sure how Epic Magic is any safer, but put that one down to the characters being largely unaware of the deeper depths of optimization.)

Keld Denar
2010-07-10, 06:14 PM
Rule 1 of epic combat: Win Initiative

Everything else is irrelevant.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-07-10, 06:19 PM
Rule 1 of epic combat: Win Initiative

Everything else is irrelevant.

Rules 2 and 3 of epic combat disagree.

Rule 2 of epic combat: Be immune to what your opponent hit you with.

Rule 3 of epic combat: Hope your opponent doesn't know one and two.

Exthalion
2010-07-11, 10:35 AM
Does anyone have anything more concrete?

BobVosh
2010-07-11, 10:47 AM
Okay, I will soon be starting an Epic level game. Here are the starting conditions:
40 point buy
lv 30
starting wealth
30,000 XP to spend on items, spells to power, etc.

...Starting wealth, or wealth by level?

Also at this level you should be pretty much immune to every elemental damage, invest in SR of about 44(don't bother with more than 50 if you can get it that high), make sure you invest heavily in "no" spells.

Ironguard greater, etc

Your 27th and 30th epic feat should be auto-quicken. I didn't look through your classes too much but if you can juggle it so you get a bonus feat from 27-30 you should take auto-quicken again. Free quicken on all spells from 1-9? Yes please.

Multispell is delicious when combined with this. Improved spell capacity is nice, but I would hold out on going too far with that route until you see if it is worth more than an extra quicken spell. Especially with 1-6 (possibly all spells) are freely quickened for you.

So 1:
Be immune to what they do
2:
Throw everything as quick as you can at them
3:
For the love of god do this first. Init is godly in epic.

EvilJoe15
2010-07-11, 10:49 AM
Yes, as it so happens I'm GMing a level 40 game on the Weave.

First buy a Thought Bottle, then save your xp. Next chain bind to get infinity wishes, and wish for a scroll/power stone of every spell/power. now learn them, taking the massive xp hit. Last reload your xp from the Thought Bottle. You'll find that you've only lost 500xp.

For feats, remember that your Psicrystal has feats too, and if you Feat Leech it you now have additional feats equal to your Wis bonus.

I little trick I found is that Personality Parasite, and Schism aren't mutually exclusive. Meaning you can manifest both, and have two bonus actions instead of one.

Combine that with Celerity, Time Stop, and all the rest you now rule the action economy.

Also yes, it is mandatory to take at lest 3 levels of Intantatrix, I'd say go for all ten, but you might not be able to afford that. What can though, is a one level dip in the Psionic Mindbender to get Mindsight.

Edit: Typo Demon.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-11, 05:38 PM
Given that this is epic I would actually say that your variety of spells matters much less than the effectiveness with which you can wield them.

To that end you might find a more metamagic-centric setup to be more effective:

Ardent 1/Wizard 5/Tainted Scholar 2/Subverted Psion1/Incantatrix 10/Arcane Trickster 2/Loremaster 1/Arcane Trickster 2/Spellguard of Silverymoon 4/X 2

Blooded Metamagic + Epic Heighten Spell means that you can apply as much metamagic as you wish to your spells for free, as a wizard finding ways of gaining ability damage immunity should not be hard.

Severe Taint + Incantatrix + Arcane Trickster + SgoS = Profit of 7 metamagic feats after pre-reqs are met.

If Shun/Embrace the Dark Chaos hacks are allowed then dip Shadow Adept as well for the three free feats to turn into whatever metamagics you want.