PDA

View Full Version : What's your MMMMONSTRRROUS D&D party?

Thieves
2010-07-10, 06:25 PM
Alright, a question: what's your imagined party of characters from monstrous races? I'm asking for:

the Most Bestest team! (the mechanically most effective race-class combos, right up the Our Wizard Has A +10 Racial INT alley) and

the Most Awesome team! (just the coolest characters; do you think your rogue should have tentacles?)

Kobolds* to Ogre Mages to Illithids to Space Dragonwrought Vampires, all playable sizes and flavors allowed. Any amount of party members allowed, average 4.

*No pun-pun.

So, mine, for my Most Awesome:
1) A Warcraft-style two-headed Ogre Mage, for a half-barbaric-half-Socratic buffer / barbarian combo that's always in two minds about stuff!
2) A skeleton archer, yes, with a black breastplate, pauldrons and helmet... that while alive was a female Drow rogue sentenced to death for marrying the wrong guy!
3) A succubus as the party a... face, with an incubus stalker that always disturbs her schemes by always gate-crashing and trying to seduce her at the wrong time!
4) A venerable goblin engineering surgeon, whose medical and scientific degrees allow him to construct abominable half-mechanical, half-living and half-magical creatures (yes, that's 150% PURE POWER!) from scraps of matter retrieved from ancient ruined cities!

Please, play with me :smallsmile:

gbprime
2010-07-10, 06:48 PM
My upcoming campaign is using a variant LA-buyoff plan, characters start at level 2. The cast of characters so far...

1 - Anthro constrictor snake. Inspiration here. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ss_gallery/49120.jpg) Will eventually take levels in gnome artificer PrC. (Yeah, complicated origin on that one.)

2 - Human mounted-combat barbarian.

3 - Her sister, permanently transformed into a hippogriff. The Wookie Rule is in effect. :smallcool:

4 - A Fey'ri Shadowcaster

5 - A homebrew pixie warlock. (Because allowing an actual pixie was too good, even for the campaign LA buyoff.)

6 - A human berserker priest of the war god.

The trick starting out, is that while THEY are monstrous, the world is not. 2 and 6 have no problems fitting in anyplace, 4 can look like whatever she wants, and 5 can pass for a halfling with effort. But the hippogriff is treated no better than an exotic beast, and the anthro snake will be facing the "get the hell out of my bar" reaction from just about everyone.

Until of course they get so powerful they fail to care anymore. The campaign will be going epic. Wish us luck. :smallamused:

Runestar
2010-07-10, 06:55 PM
I have always been interested in running an angelic party consisting of a gold dragon, astral deva, trumpet archon, sword archon and ghaele. :smalltongue:

mabriss lethe
2010-07-10, 06:58 PM
lemme see.
The party I've been dming looks something like this

vanilla human dread necro
Tainted elf cleric
Wight Paladin of Slaughter (deceased, multiple times. retired)
Necropolitan Minotaur psychic warrior(now a piece of street art in Sigil.)
Raptoran RKV (retired)
Vampire changeling rogue/ warshaper

Thieves
2010-07-10, 07:03 PM
Constrictor snake, trumpet archon (the name! the name!) and Necropolitan Minotaur - gotta love these folks! Wasn't there really anything more fitting for a Dread Necromancer, mabriss lethe? (Ok, I know, feats, feats, feats.)

urbanpirate
2010-07-11, 02:49 PM
pixie rouge/ninja/repeat with other +1d6 sneak attack at level 1 classes
half copper dragon war troll barbarian
leshay
and a bunny rabbit with really pointy teeth

Morph Bark
2010-07-11, 03:37 PM
Eleven-headed cryohydra, Succubus Favoured Soul, Ghaele and a charging Lupinal. At some point there was a Blue Slaad named Bob too.

That Pokemon trainer sure had fun. Imeanwut?

Vulaas
2010-07-11, 03:40 PM
Best I can think of:

Pixie barbarian/frenzied berserker (Always invisible makes leap attack hilariously painful)
Human (like it matters) Wildshape Ranger/Master of Many Forms/Warshaper (He's definitely a monster)
Shaedling...Well, anything. When you can create freakin' artifacts at will so long as you keep them on hand, you win.
Druid/wizard trading its familiar out but then getting the Obtain Familiar feat, going into Arcane Heirophant and a level of Fleshwarper to make it go up a size...Maybe Beastmaster as well for the effective +3 level to it. Make it a T rex companion, up a size, give it a breath weapon via draconic graft, use your druid/wizard casting to buff, then make it destroy Tokyo

TroubleBrewing
2010-07-11, 04:52 PM
This thread cracks me up for a few reasons, chiefly among those is the fact that I'm actually running a game like this now. The party, currently ECL 26, consists of the following:

A Nymph rogue, with emphasis on her supernatural abilities;

A Huge-sized Half-minotaur Goliath White Dragonspawn Knight/Hellbreaker;

A Human Factotum with the Paragon template;

An Anthrobat Cleric (who worships the Human Factotum with the Paragon Template) focusing on domination spells;

And a Diminutive-sized Pseudodragon Warlock.

Optimystik
2010-07-11, 06:19 PM
I'd probably be an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) Psion.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-11, 06:29 PM
Sneak/skillmonkey=Pixie rogue

Arcanist=Dragon Wiard (see that way I'm not nearly as worried about the wizad being squishy. . . cause its also a dragon)

Melee=. . .Feral template Grey Render barbarian!

Healer= 2 headed ogre cleric. . .

party buffer+face=Lillend Bard. . .

Lhurgyof
2010-07-11, 06:44 PM
1) Mr. Bumblebux, Umberhulk accountant/bureaucrat who wears a suit and tie. "Let me crunch the numbers.... 36.53333 gp each."

2) High Elf Barbarian with low str and con. Who's just about had it with nobody paying him attention "Hey guys.... hey we could just... hey please.. .guys? Guys? GUYS!?!?!? *foam at mouth*"

3) Steve From Accounting, A reason-stealer.

4) The gelatinous cube ninja full of sharp, pointy things. "Hey, what the hell is- *plop*"

wadledo
2010-07-11, 06:50 PM
In Gestalt games where you can play a monstrous race, I inevitably play one of these:

Ethereal Filcher Monk//Unarmed Swordsage= 64 attacks per round and a huge movement speed, all while Ethereal.

Mind Flayer Psion//Diviner/loremaster= Crazy, brain eating abomination, who knows far, far more than you about everything.

Ethergaunt Illusionist= He wears a top hat and 'pretends' that he's a ringmaster.

Petal Warlock//Sorcerer= Tiny, destructive goodness!

Tokiko Mima
2010-07-11, 07:30 PM
Favorite Monster PC of all time:

Succubus Paladin/Avenger/Arcane Duelist //Favored Soul

I also love Pixie Hellfire Glaive-locks, obviously. There was a time a player in my game got to play a Troll Half-Copper Dragon Dragonfire Adept, who was pyrophobe, obviously. Oh, and a Nymph Divine Bard//Druid who was awesome! :smallcool:

Skeppio
2010-07-11, 08:16 PM
1) Mr. Bumblebux, Umberhulk accountant/bureaucrat who wears a suit and tie. "Let me crunch the numbers.... 36.53333 gp each."

That's the best. I suddenly have an urge to homebrew a Bureaucrat clkass now.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-11, 09:02 PM
I didn't want to be the one to say it... an Immoth Rainbowguiler/. If we're starting at high levels the Immoth is accompanied by dear friend, an Air Elemental Weird. Together, since time unfathomable, they have sought out threats to the order of the multiverse and ended them.

dob
2010-07-11, 11:05 PM
I ran one recently with:

A barbarian / psychic warrior choker, insane grappler
A pixie monk, insane tripper
A ninja velociraptor
A brain-in-a-jar necromancer

Jergmo
2010-07-11, 11:38 PM
1.) Expanded Psionic Illithid Psion
2.) Tsochar Rogue

I don't know about the other two, but I really want to play an Illithid or Tsochar. :smallamused:

mint
2010-07-12, 04:11 AM
Towards the end of the last campaign i played the cast had gotten pretty weird.

A little boy with Verdant Prince traits and horns - Druid/Sorc/AH
Goliath - Warblade/Master of the Nine
A really nästy shifter who turned into a sky-rat.
Girl with massive hedgehog hair.
An albino minotaur drunken master.
Lizardfolk clerik.

There was more. We were kind of hot mess.