PDA

View Full Version : ToB feat question

Niro
2010-07-10, 06:29 PM
I was wondering about the feat in ToB that allows you to know a maneuver.

A) Would it be from any disciplin?
and B) How would I figure out which level maneuver I could take?

Am I only able to take lvl 1 maneuvers or is it something like.. half my character level = initiator level for maximum level maneuver that I can learn?
(If it helps, in the campaigne I will be playing a brawler-kinda character and I was hoping I could avoid the ToB classes)

tyckspoon
2010-07-10, 06:34 PM
Yes, you can select from any discipline as long as you otherwise meet the requirements.

The requirements are a certain initiator level (it follows the same chart as spell levels for a Wizard, so IL 1= Level 1 maneuvers, IL 3= Level 2 Maneuvers, etc) and, depending on the maneuver, knowing a number of other maneuvers from the same discipline (stance counts, in case you take Martial Stance as well. And you should.) In the absence of ToB Adept levels, your initiator level will be half your level, so you'll be able to pick a level 1 maneuver at level 2, level 2 at 6, level 3 at 10 (if you have a way to grab a feat at the appropriate level, anyway.)

Snake-Aes
2010-07-10, 06:37 PM
I was wondering about the feat in ToB that allows you to know a maneuver.

A) Would it be from any disciplin?
and B) How would I figure out which level maneuver I could take?

Am I only able to take lvl 1 maneuvers or is it something like.. half my character level = initiator level for maximum level maneuver that I can learn?
(If it helps, in the campaigne I will be playing a brawler-kinda character and I was hoping I could avoid the ToB classes)

You only have to meet the pre-requisites. These are usually a number of known maneuvers of that discipline and initiator level.
Levels are calculated this way: nonToB classes increase your Initiator Level by 1 per 2 levels. ToB classes with access to that discipline do so 1:1.
The minimum levels for maneuvers is as wizard: max level is your Initiator level /2, rounded up.

Draken
2010-07-10, 06:38 PM
1. The feat allows you to take any maneuver from any discipline, as long as you qualify.

2. Qualifying for a maneuver involves having the prerequisite amount of maneuvers and the proper initiator level.

3. Classes that don't give you factual martial initiating give you half their levels as initiator level.

So, if you are a sixth level fighter and take the feat, you have an initiator level of 3, and can take a maneuver of second level. I don't recall right now, but I think mo second level maneuver has a number of maneuvers as a prerequisite.

If you were a 14th level fighter you would have an initiator level of 7 and be entitled to 4th level maneuvers. But those do have a number of maneuvers as prerequisite (one or two I think), so you might not be capable of taking any if you lack other fitting maneuvers (or stances).

The same principles apply to the Martial Stance feat.

Niro
2010-07-10, 06:42 PM
Thank you very much gentlemen(and gentlewomen if there were any females present) :D

Snake-Aes
2010-07-10, 07:07 PM
If you were a 14th level fighter you would have an initiator level of 7 and be entitled to 4th level maneuvers. But those do have a number of maneuvers as prerequisite (one or two I think), so you might not be capable of taking any if you lack other fitting maneuvers (or stances).

The same principles apply to the Martial Stance feat.

Some of them have lighter pre-requisites than the usual for their level, especially Stone Dragon.
And remember, stances count for pre-requisite maneuvers. A single dip in a tob class tends to be a much better choice, unless you are starving for levels.

Draken
2010-07-10, 09:00 PM
Thank you very much gentlemen(and gentlewomen if there were any females present) :D

Three little blue arrows in the names, no girls here.

Some of them have lighter pre-requisites than the usual for their level, especially Stone Dragon.
And remember, stances count for pre-requisite maneuvers. A single dip in a tob class tends to be a much better choice, unless you are starving for levels.

And indeed, they do, that is why I made no specific references. The stance thing is a basic of the ruleset to boot, not solely bound to the feats.