PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Prcs bad?

Runestar
2010-07-10, 07:33 PM
Am I the only one to feel that the dragon-only prcs in draconomicon are generally worthless? True, they don't incur epic bab rules, but by the time a dragon has taken it, it is of so high lv, making it impractical to be used against lower lv parties. That and their abilities seem quite lackluster.

Disciple of ashardalon - caster lv of SLAs is your class lv. Yes, blasphemy at caster lv 10 is sure to make my epic lv PCs quake in their booties...Not to mention that for the same cr increase, I may as well just tack on the half-fiend template and advance by age category, which also improves the dragon's stats, sr and DCs.

I did have an idea for a dragonwrought kobold disciple of ashardalon npc to get around the epic bab limitations though. :smallbiggrin:

Elemental master - I am sorry. What does this do again?

Dragon ascendant - the dazing aura is neat, but again, I am simulate the same thing by adding the quasi-deity template and adding extra dragon HD.

Hidecarved dragon - one of the cooler ones, I admit, though all those cool protections seem to come at expense of the dragon's offensive capabilities.

Unholy ravager/Sacred Warder/Watcher - Cool ability to replace sorc with cleric casting, but why isn't this a template?

Bloodscaled fury - again, abilities don't seem that cool. I may as well go barb2/frenzied berserker. :smallamused:

All in all, the prcs seem much weaker than what I can simulate using alternative sources. Thoughts? Anyone used them to great effect and care to share their experiences with the board? :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2010-07-10, 07:52 PM
The Draconomnomnomnomicon was printed right on the release of 3.5 edition making it really early on the power curve. Compare with the weaksause that was Hexblade or Samurai early in the edition, and you'll see their tentative steps forward, experimenting with new mechanics and afraid to introduce anything too game breaking early on.

Oh how they failed in all respects.

Darrin
2010-07-11, 12:03 AM
Hidecarved dragon - one of the cooler ones, I admit, though all those cool protections seem to come at expense of the dragon's offensive capabilities.

There have been a couple previous attempts to get into Hidecarved early: first by Cieyrin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127727) and more recently by Person_Man (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101742).

I'm not sure any of the others are worth getting into early.

BobVosh
2010-07-11, 12:38 AM
The Draconomnomnomnomicon

Just like banananananana you just don't know where to end.

Zeta Kai
2010-07-11, 12:42 AM
Just like banananananana you just don't know where to end.

And they both make me hungry. :smallbiggrin: [/derail]