PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Craft Reserve

arguskos
2010-07-10, 08:32 PM
Ok, now, I coulda sworn I'd seen something about this somewhere, but I figured I'd ask cause I've nothing else doing tonight:

Is there a way to use Craft Reserve from the Artificer for Gp costs instead of XP costs?

arguskos
2010-07-11, 01:06 PM
...I know bumps aren't really liked, but really folks? No one's got anything for me? :smallfrown:

Ernir
2010-07-11, 01:08 PM
If there is a way, I haven't seen it.

PId6
2010-07-11, 01:25 PM
Yeah, no.

You can get the gp cost down to 4.2% with cost reducers though, possibly skipping the need. See here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0) for how (beware, some of the methods rate high on the cheese scale).

arguskos
2010-07-11, 02:41 PM
Damn. I really need less gold costs, not less XP costs, since I'm mostly making non-magical firearms and suits of armor at the current moment, transferring into magical firearms and suits of armor later.

The character concept is War Machine (of the Iron Man comic book fame), and I figured Artificer was the best class to let me do it. Well, I can stack specific users onto Extraordinary Artisan onto a few other things and get pretty low, which is something. At level three, I don't have nearly enough GP to make everything I want for this character, though I can get sorta close-ish. The Full Plate is gonna be a pain though, eating lots of my cash reserves.

Thanks folks, especially for that Cost Reducing thread!

PId6
2010-07-11, 02:59 PM
Actually, nonmagical items use the Craft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm) skill, not the magic crafting rules; they're completely separate, so much so that artificer isn't even all that helpful. Feats for lowering magical crafting costs don't apply to the skill, but it also starts out at a lower initial cost. You only need to pay 1/3 of the cost for the skill, and it goes down to 1/6 if you have easy access to raw materials.

arguskos
2010-07-11, 03:04 PM
Actually, nonmagical items use the Craft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm) skill, not the magic crafting rules; they're completely separate, so much so that artificer isn't even all that helpful. Feats for lowering magical crafting costs don't apply to the skill, but it also starts out at a lower initial cost. You only need to pay 1/3 of the cost for the skill, and it goes down to 1/6 if you have easy access to raw materials.
The reason I'm doing artificer is so I can easily magic my stuff up when I get the feats/cashymonies. Also, so I can make a turret using breath weapon rules (Wondrous Item woohoo! :smallbiggrin:) and grenades using potion rules (DM is nice, also craft reserve woohoo! :smallbiggrin:).

Besides, name me a better class for this concept, and I'll be all over it like white on rice.

PId6
2010-07-11, 05:17 PM
Wizard (or Psion) is pretty good because of Fabricate, but that doesn't come until higher levels. There's also infinite cash shenanigans (Wall of Iron), but I'm guessing those will be stomped on fairly fast. Magecraft (ECS) is a pretty good spell for low level crafting though (artificers can get this too via wand or schema).

arguskos
2010-07-11, 05:22 PM
Wizard (or Psion) is pretty good because of Fabricate, but that doesn't come until higher levels. There's also infinite cash shenanigans (Wall of Iron), but I'm guessing those will be stomped on fairly fast. Magecraft (ECS) is a pretty good spell for low level crafting though (artificers can get this too via wand or schema).
Yeah, DM is a bit grouchy if I get into theorycraft or infinite anythings. Also, we're level 3.

Magecraft, that's useful though. I think I'll end up staying artificer, just cause I've got some BAB of note and reserve will be handy once I start making magical exploding bullets of fiery death in a few levels.