PDA

View Full Version : Don Armor Faster, and an Optimization question

Matamane
2010-07-10, 08:49 PM
Is there any way other than Bonded Armor to don or remove a suit of armor in 1 round.

On that note, I am playing a Thri Kreen Kensai, and I am debating whether or not Monk levels are required. I see Armor as being valuable, and I am not sure about the consequences of not taking levels in Monk. I am taking Improved Unarmed Strike, and Flurry doesn't seem too important, so I am debating.

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-10, 08:55 PM
I would recommend against the monk level, particularly if you like armor.

I suggest a better class for your concept, like Fighter or Warblade. Monk is in no way required for Kensai.

Matamane
2010-07-10, 08:56 PM
That was what I was going to do, but thematically, I would like Armor which I can don in one round.

Power Stone/Henshin

At least trying to make the throwing/returning fists dignified

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-10, 08:59 PM
I think MIC has a "Called" ability that lets you summon it to you as a standard or maybe full-round action. There's also a mundane quality in A&EG that lets you remove armor in one round.

I also believe there is a ring somewhere that lets you teleport a set of armor in and out at will.

Edit: Ring of Arming, MIC 122. It also applies to held weapons and shields.

Prime32
2010-07-10, 09:02 PM
There's a psionic power which summons a suit of armour. Or you could cast mage armor or something.

IdleMuse
2010-07-10, 09:03 PM
Ring of Arming, MICp122, stores a set of armour (and weapons) in the ring, and switches them with what you're wearing as a standard action. Quick and easy way of getting dressed for battle.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Matamane
2010-07-10, 09:07 PM
I'm liking both the calling quality and the ring of Arming.

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-10, 09:12 PM
If you have access to the Tome of Battle, see if you can take Unarmed Swordsage. It will allow you to gain the Monk's unarmed damage and AC bonus while still allowing you to wear light armor (you can get heavy armor to count as light, if you specifically want what is normally heavy armor). Also it gives some neat possibly supernatural abilities that may or may not go well with your theme.

Psyx
2010-07-11, 03:45 AM
Called armour. It's a fixed-price addition and doesn't take a ring slot.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-11, 03:49 AM
If you have access to the Tome of Battle, see if you can take Unarmed Swordsage. It will allow you to gain the Monk's unarmed damage and AC bonus while still allowing you to wear light armor (you can get heavy armor to count as light, if you specifically want what is normally heavy armor). Also it gives some neat possibly supernatural abilities that may or may not go well with your theme.

Unarmed Swordsage loses Light Armor (it gets the Monk's bonus to AC while unarmored instead).

sofawall
2010-07-11, 04:24 AM
Actually, it keeps wis to AC only in light armour. A holdover from the Swordsage itself, which is also quite strange.

Optimystik
2010-07-11, 04:28 AM
sofawall is correct, the Unarmed Swordsage only gets the AC bonus while in light armor. Very odd. Maybe the ToB errata will- never mind.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 04:46 AM
How does one treat Heavy Armor as being light?

Mithril and ? or something else

2xMachina
2010-07-11, 04:55 AM
Mithral makes it 1 category lower.

Not sure about the other things.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 05:12 AM
Like I said Mithril and ?

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-11, 01:07 PM
Halfweight, a +3 quality from Underdark, makes any armor count as light all on its own. You still might want Mithral to reduce the check penalties and increase the max dex bonus though.

2xMachina
2010-07-11, 02:21 PM
... So half-weight fullplate is light? Wow.

Half-weight Adamantine Warforged Druid of Mielikki.
Now you can have animals with adamantine plating inside them.

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-11, 02:31 PM
Halfweight wouldn't prevent such a character from "falling" as a druid from wearing metal armor.

2xMachina
2010-07-11, 02:36 PM
Druid of Mielikki fixes it. She's ok with Metal armor, provided it is light/medium.

The problem was getting adamantine plating to light.

Optimystik
2010-07-11, 03:03 PM
Fochlucan Lyrist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=2) also allows druids to wear light armor.

I wonder if Loremasters/PAs/Cloistered Clerics can qualify? You need Bardic Knowledge, but each of their lore abilities says "as bardic knowledge..."

EDIT: Bah, I always misspell "Fochlucan."