PDA

View Full Version : Spell Stitched question

HasegawaTakumi
2010-07-11, 04:48 AM
Complete Arcane says that an undead with arcane spellcasting abilities can spellstitch itself, but it doesn't list a LA.
What if I'm a Lich and I want to Spell Stitch myself? What is a reasonable LA?

Tyger
2010-07-11, 05:17 AM
Technically, that means there is no LA, or at least that is how I understand it. Granted, the cost is very, very low for what you get, but there you have it.

HasegawaTakumi
2010-07-11, 05:20 AM
That's right, there's no LA, because it should be used for monsters and not players, but what would be a reasonable LA?
Since it's CR+1, I'd say LA +1 or +2...
What do you think?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-07-11, 05:35 AM
Spellstitched creatures can be created only by a wizard or
sorcerer with the Craft Wondrous Item feat and of sufficient
level to cast the spells to be imbued within the undead’s
body. The creation process takes a number of days equal to
the Wisdom score of the undead creature being spellstitched
(so a minimum of 10 days) and requires the expenditure of
1,000 gp for carving or tattooing materials in addition to 500
XP × the undead creature’s Wisdom score.
Assuming you have Wisdom 19, the minimum for the best benefits, you'll be looking to spend 9500 XP and 1,000 gp, and the process will take 19 days of uninterrupted work to complete. You'll have to be high enough level to cast the spells in question, so no early access to spells by gaining them as spell-like abilities. There is no level adjustment, but the cost is enough.

Edit: If you hire an NPC spellcaster to spellstitch a character, the standard rate is 5 gp per 1 xp, so you'd be spending 48,500 gp minimum for the best benefits.

Escheton
2010-07-11, 06:19 AM
That's right, there's no LA, because it should be used for monsters and not players, but what would be a reasonable LA?
Since it's CR+1, I'd say LA +1 or +2...
What do you think?

I think it is a template made specifically for dm's to use, to let non-spellcaster undead use magical effects without dropping massive loot and should not even be player knowledge.

Tyger
2010-07-11, 06:29 AM
Assuming you have Wisdom 19, the minimum for the best benefits, you'll be looking to spend 9500 XP and 1,000 gp, and the process will take 19 days of uninterrupted work to complete. You'll have to be high enough level to cast the spells in question, so no early access to spells by gaining them as spell-like abilities. There is no level adjustment, but the cost is enough.

Edit: If you hire an NPC spellcaster to spellstitch a character, the standard rate is 5 gp per 1 xp, so you'd be spending 48,500 gp minimum for the best benefits.

And this is why there is no LA.