PDA

View Full Version : Ursa Warrior [3.5 PrC, PEACH]

Critical
2010-07-11, 11:32 AM
Ursa Warrior

http://th06.deviantart.com/fs22/300W/f/2008/017/b/a/Ursa_Warrior_Killer_by_3doxx.jpg
Rawr.
-Ulfsaar, the Ursa Warrior

Bear-like looking warriors, utilizing their inborn qualities to the best effect, famous for using their attacks to further open opponents wounds and going into almost lightning-fast frenzy.

Hit Die: d12

Requirements:
To qualify to become an Ursa Warrior, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Non-Lawful
Race: Antrophomorphic Bear, Werebear, Awakened Bear
BAB: +5
Skills: Survival 4 ranks, Handle Animal 4 ranks
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Multi-Attack
Martial Maneuvers: At least one Tiger Claw and Iron Heart maneuver

Class Skills(2 + Int Modifier): Balance, Climb, Concentracion, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Nature), Swim, Survival, Tumble

Ursa Warrior
{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | Maneuvers Known | Maneuvers Readied
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +0 | Improved Unarmed Strike, Unarmed Damage, Fury Swipes | 1 | 0
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +0 | Beast Strike | 0 | 0
3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Enrage, Rage 1/day | 1 | 1
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Great Thunderclap | 0 | 0
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Overpower | 1 | 0 [/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Ursa Warriors gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At each odd-numbered level Ursa Warrior gets one Iron Heart or Tiger Claw maneuver.

Improved Unarmed Strike: Ursa Warrior gets Improved unarmed Strike as a bonus feat at first level.

Unarmed Damage: Ursa Warrior get an increase in Unarmed Damage as if his Ursa Warrior levels would be Monk levels (consult the Monk's unarmed damage increase table).

Fury Swipes (Ex): When an Ursa Warrior deals damage with his claw attack, he opens the wound deeper in the target, causing subsequent attacks to deal increased damage equal to Ursa Warrior's class level divided by two, rounded up(ex. level 5 Ursa Warrior gets a +3 damage bonus on first hit, +6 on second, +9 on third and so on) with a cap of Ursa Warrior's class level multiplied by thee(ex. 3 damage cap at 1st level, 6 damage cap at 2nd, 9 at 3d and so on). This resets if Ursa Warrior didn't deal claw damage to his opponent in 2 rounds. The scaling up damage applies only for one opponent, if the Ursa Warrior starts hitting a new target while using this and he has built up some damage bonus on the first one, it doesn't apply to the new target, it just starts again separetely for that new target.

Beast Strike: At 2nd level Ursa Warrior gets Beast Strike as a bonus feat, making his claw damage apply to his unarmed strikes, however, while utilizing this feat, Ursa Warrior cannot attack with his normal claw attacks.

Enrage (Ex): While raging, Ursa Warrior gets 1/2 his constitution modifier to damage.

Rage (Ex): At level 3 Ursa Warrior gets one more use of his Rage Ability.

Great Thunderclap (Su): At level 4, once per day per class level, Ursa Warrior can use Great Thunderclap as a spell-like ability with his caster level equal to his character level and with his Strength modifier used to calculate the DC.

Overpower (Ex): At level 5 Ursa Warrior harnesses his rage and fury, making himself that much more deadlier. Every round Ursa Warrior applies his Fury Swipes he gets an additional claw attack at their full base attack bonus with -5 penalty, capped at 5 additional claw attacks. Ursa Warrior can get only 1 additional claw attack per full-attack action. The additional claw attacks can be used only against those already affected with Fury Swipes. These claw attacks are an exception to the Beast Strike ability.

Author's Note:
First off, this is my first homebrew PrC, so don't throw tomatoes at me. :smallredface:

The PrC was inspired by a hero from a custom Warcraft 3 map DotA, Ulfsaar the Ursa Warrior, just in case you didn't know. :smallwink:

The write-up meant that the LA buy-off would be used, if not, you are free to adjust the requirements as you see fit.

Cheers,

Critical.

Kuma Kode
2010-07-11, 01:13 PM
Fury Swipes and Overpower sound like they can get pretty ridiculous together. Does Fury Swipe have a cap? In your example, Fury Swipe's bonus damage applies to the first attack as well, but as written, it should only apply on the second and following attacks.

I'd take this class.

Critical
2010-07-11, 04:33 PM
Fury Swipes and Overpower sound like they can get pretty ridiculous together. Does Fury Swipe have a cap? In your example, Fury Swipe's bonus damage applies to the first attack as well, but as written, it should only apply on the second and following attacks.

I'd take this class.
That's, sort of, the point - if there was a cap, the damage, probably, would get higher, too, and Overpower was just meant to be there, because it's the signature move to attack as fast as possible. Knew it was sort of risky, so this got me thinking of a nerf, but the usual "-2 to attack roll, +1 attack" just puts me off, because it's a 5-level capstone.

As for the Fury Swipes, I'm not really sure how to word the thing, but lets just assume that you should follow the written example. :smallsmile:

Milskidasith
2010-07-11, 05:59 PM
Abilities that grant random amount of attacks or recharge randomly are rather annoying. I'd give a set number of attacks every set number of rounds.

Anyway, the requirements are a bit odd, since you need to dip for rage and be a martial initiator and be a bear and take a worthless feat.

Venardhi
2010-07-11, 08:26 PM
I'm new to this forum, and homebrew in general, but I would suggest a name change(Ursa Warrior doesn't flow), a change to both skills and an added feat:

Furious Swipes: When a Kodiak Warrior deals damage with her claw attack, she opens the wound deeper in the target, causing her next round of attacks to deal increased damage equal to the Kodiak Warrior's class level divided by two, rounded down(ex. level 5 Kodiak Warrior gets a +2 damage bonus to her second round of attacks, +4 to her third, +6 on fourth and so on to a maximum of +10). This bonus resets if the Kodiak Warrior fails to damage her target with two attacks or a full round(whichever is shorter) or changes targets. After resetting, the bonus remains at 0 for as many rounds as the previous chain lasted.

Optional Feat: Improved Furious Swipes - Increases bonus from 1/2 class level rounded down, to 1/2 class level rounded up, with a maximum bonus of +15. (3/6/9/12/15 rather than 2/4/6/8/10)

Overpowering Swipes: At level 5, the Kodiak Warrior's claw attacks come so swiftly that her Furious Swipes ability now grants her an additional claw attack on her first affected round, and a total of two additional claw attacks on each subsequent affected round within the same chain. These attacks are taken at a -5 penalty to hit. These extra attacks must be taken in order to retain her bonus from Furious Swipes

Kuma Kode
2010-07-12, 12:41 AM
Welcome to the forums, Venardhi! :smallsmile:

I like Ursa Warrior. Kodiak Warrior is cool, too, but it's species-specific, so if you're a polar bear... it won't fit.

That feat is also a bit weak. It gives you a +1 bonus to your damage every OTHER level, since half of the levels rounding doesn't matter. Though, of course, as written (unless it was changed recently) it already rounds up... Maybe make it instead of 1/2 your class level, it's 2/3? Which is still just a +1, but at least it'll stack with itself. [+4/+8/+12/+16/+20]

UrsaŽ Filets!

jiriku
2010-07-12, 01:16 AM
Requirements:
To qualify to become an Ursa Warrior, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Race: Antrophomorphic Bear
Feats: Great Fortitude, Two-Weapon Fighting

Restricting to anthropomorphic bear makes this quite specific. Consider allowing anyone who can assume a bear form, which would extend it to druids, bear warriors, wildshape-variant rangers, archivists, arcane gishes with access to polymorph, and werebears.

Great Fortitude sucks. How about Improved Toughness instead?

Two-Weapon Fighting is an odd choice for a class that's expected to be attacking with natural weapons. How about Multiattack or Improved Natural Attack (claws) instead?

Improved Unarmed Strike: Some characters may already have IUS upon entering. How about giving IUS, or Superior Unarmed Strike to anyone who already has IUS?

Fury Swipes (Ex): Fractions round down in D&D, always. Go with the flow.

Overpower (Ex): Too much randomness. How about the Ursda Warrior can double his available number of attacks as a free action, or take a full attack as a swift action, with the ability requiring 1d4 rounds to recharge afterwards, like a breath weapon?

Critical
2010-07-12, 05:50 AM
I'm new to this forum, and homebrew in general, but I would suggest a name change(Ursa Warrior doesn't flow), a change to both skills and an added feat:

Furious Swipes: When a Kodiak Warrior deals damage with her claw attack, she opens the wound deeper in the target, causing her next round of attacks to deal increased damage equal to the Kodiak Warrior's class level divided by two, rounded down(ex. level 5 Kodiak Warrior gets a +2 damage bonus to her second round of attacks, +4 to her third, +6 on fourth and so on to a maximum of +10). This bonus resets if the Kodiak Warrior fails to damage her target with two attacks or a full round(whichever is shorter) or changes targets. After resetting, the bonus remains at 0 for as many rounds as the previous chain lasted.

Optional Feat: Improved Furious Swipes - Increases bonus from 1/2 class level rounded down, to 1/2 class level rounded up, with a maximum bonus of +15. (3/6/9/12/15 rather than 2/4/6/8/10)

Overpowering Swipes: At level 5, the Kodiak Warrior's claw attacks come so swiftly that her Furious Swipes ability now grants her an additional claw attack on her first affected round, and a total of two additional claw attacks on each subsequent affected round within the same chain. These attacks are taken at a -5 penalty to hit. These extra attacks must be taken in order to retain her bonus from Furious Swipes
As someone said earlier, Kodiak Warrior doesn't really fit. :smallsmile: Nerfed the Swipes a little bit by adding a cap, though.
Also, I'm digging the Overpowering Swipes, though it would be capped at 5 attacks and Multiattack would reduce it to -2. Also, the name will stay the same - it's, kind of, iconical. :smallwink:

Restricting to anthropomorphic bear makes this quite specific. Consider allowing anyone who can assume a bear form, which would extend it to druids, bear warriors, wildshape-variant rangers, archivists, arcane gishes with access to polymorph, and werebears.

Great Fortitude sucks. How about Improved Toughness instead?

Two-Weapon Fighting is an odd choice for a class that's expected to be attacking with natural weapons. How about Multiattack or Improved Natural Attack (claws) instead?

Improved Unarmed Strike: Some characters may already have IUS upon entering. How about giving IUS, or Superior Unarmed Strike to anyone who already has IUS?

Fury Swipes (Ex): Fractions round down in D&D, always. Go with the flow.

Overpower (Ex): Too much randomness. How about the Ursda Warrior can double his available number of attacks as a free action, or take a full attack as a swift action, with the ability requiring 1d4 rounds to recharge afterwards, like a breath weapon?
If I'd allow such open access, it would be kind of unfair to the anthro-bears, don't you think? Thinking of it, I'll also allow werebears to take this, but if access to this would be allowed to anyone who could turn into bear, anyone could get into this with a simple Bear Warrior dip. Not cool. :smalltongue:
Improved Toughness sucks, too... Thinking about it again, I think the requirements are strict enough and Great Fortitude should be lifted.
TWF - not weird choice at all, since Ursa Warriors are getting Beast Strike as a bonus feat.
Improved Unarmed Strike - umm, there's no such stuff in any WotC books, so I guess it should stay like that.
Fury Swipes - not true, look at Abjurant Champion from CM, they exist! :smallbiggrin:
Overpower - changed it now, look up the new version! :smallsmile:

Thanks for all the replies so far!

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-25, 06:48 PM
If I'd allow such open access, it would be kind of unfair to the anthro-bears, don't you think? Thinking of it, I'll also allow werebears to take this, but if access to this would be allowed to anyone who could turn into bear, anyone could get into this with a simple Bear Warrior dip. Not cool. :smalltongue:

*Has yet to read class yet because your sig link linked to a post halfway through the thread not to the first post, so in hindsight after reading the class, this might be stupid.* What about Awakened Bears? Never seen anyone play one, but still. :smalltongue:

Critical
2010-07-25, 07:45 PM
*Has yet to read class yet because your sig link linked to a post halfway through the thread not to the first post, so in hindsight after reading the class, this might be stupid.* What about Awakened Bears? Never seen anyone play one, but still. :smalltongue:
Hmm, reasonable. Adding them.
And my sig links perfectly to the start of the thread, don't know why you're having problems like that. :smalltongue:

demidracolich
2010-07-25, 07:46 PM
Lol, ursa warrior, are you a DOTA player?

Critical
2010-07-25, 07:51 PM
Lol, ursa warrior, are you a DOTA player?

Yeah, mentioned in the spoiler at the first post, I'm actually planning on doing some more homebrews for the DotA heroes abilities conversed into PrC's after balancing this one(because my recent playtest shows it is kind of unbalanced).

demidracolich
2010-07-25, 07:54 PM
Well, I'll be looking forward to that. Though some heroes like faceless void may be a bit OP with a time stop field and everything.

Critical
2010-07-25, 08:05 PM
Well, I'll be looking forward to that. Though some heroes like faceless void may be a bit OP with a time stop field and everything.
That'll probably be once per day, and be achievable, like, at level 20. :smallbiggrin:

By the way, removed the rage requirement to discourage dipping, added Multi-Attack to the pre-requisites, nerfed Fury Swipes by decreasing the cap to level x 3.