PDA

View Full Version : [4E] ALLO! My name is Mark. I am a verb. I am a combat modifier. I am ambiguous.

Fenrazer
2010-07-11, 12:41 PM
My DM and I have been looking up marked, and were wondering a couple things. Does Marking a target require a special ability that says it marks someone, such as Divine Challenge, or is it usable by anybody like falling prone is? It's seems like thats the case, as it is just a status issue, but I figured it was worth asking. I can think of several uses for marking a target, like baiting someone into my Darkspiral aura (and I have thought about MC Paladin so get Divine Challenge just for that), or getting a targets undivided attention for a Gaze power.

The way I picture Marking a target seems like baiting a target into attacking you through any means, such as taunting, magical compulsion or "your mamma" jokes.

My DM would also like me to ask you if more than one person can mark the same target. It does say that when you mark someone, that it supersedes the previous mark, but that is only in the description of Divine Challenge, not in the single fragment sentence that describes the status "Marked". The way I am reading this, which is often wrong, is that Diving Challenge specifically cannot stack with itself, but can a regular mark? So this may be a noob question, but I figured it's worth asking, since I am completely unfamiliar with this new combat modifier or what it means.

Still if there is anything else you can think of where this can be used, let me know!

Siegel
2010-07-11, 12:47 PM
Only abilities that say "you mark the target" mark the target

Fenrazer
2010-07-11, 12:48 PM
Stackable?

Mando Knight
2010-07-11, 12:51 PM
Marks never stack. A target may only have on mark on them at a time. It's listed in the PHB.

NecroRebel
2010-07-11, 12:56 PM
My DM and I have been looking up marked, and were wondering a couple things. Does Marking a target require a special ability that says it marks someone, such as Divine Challenge, or is it usable by anybody like falling prone is? It's seems like thats the case, as it is just a status issue, but I figured it was worth asking. I can think of several uses for marking a target, like baiting someone into my Darkspiral aura (and I have thought about MC Paladin so get Divine Challenge just for that), or getting a targets undivided attention for a Gaze power.

Marks are a status condition, but more like Slowed than Prone. To mark someone else, you must have a power or feature that specifically marks the target. Incidentally, all other status conditions, including Prone, require the use of a power or feature to force on someone else. Prone is a special case in that it is one that can also be taken on willingly by the "drop prone" action, probably since being prone does give some minor bonuses.

The way I picture Marking a target seems like baiting a target into attacking you through any means, such as taunting, magical compulsion or "your mamma" jokes.

It can be any means of baiting the target, but that doesn't mean that any means of baiting the target causes a mark (unless your DM says it does). By the rules, only means of baiting the target that involve the use of a power that causes a mark cause a mark.

My DM would also like me to ask you if more than one person can mark the same target. It does say that when you mark someone, that it supersedes the previous mark, but that is only in the description of Divine Challenge, not in the single fragment sentence that describes the status "Marked". The way I am reading this, which is often wrong, is that Diving Challenge specifically cannot stack with itself, but can a regular mark? So this may be a noob question, but I figured it's worth asking, since I am completely unfamiliar with this new combat modifier or what it means.

Still if there is anything else you can think of where this can be used, let me know!

Irritatingly enough, in the original release of the Player's Handbook, it made this clear not in the section where it laid out the effects of all of the status conditions, but rather in the section on the Fighter's class features, where under Combat Challenge it states, "A creature can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place." Note that this wording isn't specific to the Combat Challenge feature; it is universal.

Errata has since fixed this issue. The text of the Marked condition, given the errata, should be as follows:

Marked
Page 277: Add the following bullet points to the marked condition. These revisions add clarity to the marked condition.
✦ You can be subjected to only one mark at a time, and a new mark supersedes an old one.
✦ A mark ends immediately when its creator dies or falls unconscious.

Fenrazer
2010-07-11, 01:16 PM
AHHHHH! Yeah my books are not the revised ones. I appreciate it playground. :smallbiggrin:

Blackfang108
2010-07-11, 01:45 PM
AHHHHH! Yeah my books are not the revised ones. I appreciate it playground. :smallbiggrin:

FYI, there are NO revised books. all of the errata can be found on the wizards of the coast website, avaliable for free. (It's labeled Updates)

sofawall
2010-07-11, 05:35 PM
Don't new printings have the Errata in them already?

cupkeyk
2010-07-11, 07:43 PM
The PHB don't have the errata in them, but the Essentials book will have the updated rules.