PDA

View Full Version : Treating Heavy Armor as Light Armor

Matamane
2010-07-11, 01:00 PM
It was mentioned in a past thread of mine there is a way to treat heavy armor as light armor. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:15 PM
It was mentioned in a past thread of mine there is a way to treat heavy armor as light armor. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Tooth of Savnok might work. It's in Tome of magic, 2,000 GP and it takes away the speed penalty. I assume that's what you're looking for? Otherwise, I have no clue how you'd reduce heavy to light armor since any material I can think of just reduces it to medium.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 01:17 PM
Speed isn't a problem. It's reducing the category.

PapaNachos
2010-07-11, 01:20 PM
The Halfweight enchantment from Underdark (pg. 70) will work nicely for you, unfortunately its rather pricey.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:21 PM
Speed isn't a problem. It's reducing the category.

Why do you need to reduce the category? Are you only proficient with light armor? Because Mithril chain shirts are pretty good.

Ernir
2010-07-11, 01:22 PM
The Halfweight armor enhancement from Underdark makes any armor be treated as light (and reduces its weight by half). It's a +3 enhancement.

PapaNachos
2010-07-11, 01:22 PM
Why do you need to reduce the category? Are you only proficient with light armor? Because Mithril chain shirts are pretty good.

Certain effects only work in light armor.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:23 PM
Certain effects only work in light armor.

Such as? I can't think of any but I don't usually look for things like that.

senrath
2010-07-11, 01:24 PM
As written, the Unarmed Swordsage only gets Wis-to-AC while wearing Light Armor. I'm assuming that's what brought this topic up.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 01:24 PM
Swordsage Wisdom Bonus

PapaNachos
2010-07-11, 01:26 PM
Such as? I can't think of any but I don't usually look for things like that.

Evasion, swordsage AC bonus, etc...

Matamane
2010-07-11, 01:26 PM
Does an animated Shield mess with swordsage mojo?

PapaNachos
2010-07-11, 01:27 PM
As written, the Unarmed Swordsage only gets Wis-to-AC while wearing Light Armor. I'm assuming that's what brought this topic up.

The as written part only really affects whether or not they get it unarmored. They definitely don't while wearing heavy or medium.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:27 PM
I'm looking at my copy of ToB right now and unarmed Swordsages get no light armor proficiency.

That's assuming the OP is using unarmed swordsage and not normal swordsage however.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 01:29 PM
They don't lose the AC bonus while armored in light, they just don't get the proficiency. A fighter/swordsage can take full advantage of that though

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-11, 01:29 PM
fixed it for you. I'm looking at my copy of ToB right now and unarmed Swordsages get no light armor proficiency.

That's assuming the OP is using unarmed swordsage and not normal swordsage however.

They lose the armor proficiency, but the AC Bonus ability does not, as written, get changed to no armor.

Luckily, mithral chain shirts have no armor check penalty.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:30 PM
They don't lose the AC bonus while armored in light, they just don't get the proficiency. A fighter/swordsage can take full advantage of that though

Yeah, changed that.

What heavy armor are you so interested in using?

PapaNachos
2010-07-11, 01:31 PM
Animated: Upon command, an animated shield floats within 2
feet of the wielder, protecting her as if she were using it herself
but freeing up both her hands. Only one shield can protect a character
at a time. A character with an animated shield still takes any
penalties associated with shield use, such as armor check penalty,
arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency.

Unfortunately its still treated as if you were wielding it, so you'll still lose your bonus. You might be able to work something out with your DM though.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 01:33 PM
Mithril Full Plate.

Halfweight doesn't affect ACP or Max Dex

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:36 PM
Halfweight doesn't affect ACP or Max Dex

And? If you're wearing heavy armor your max dex isn't going to be very high. Also, You're going to have to find Other things to reduce ACP.

PapaNachos
2010-07-11, 01:37 PM
And? If you're wearing heavy armor your max dex isn't going to be very high and you're going to have to find Other things to reduce ACP.

Its still a start.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:39 PM
Nimbleness enchantment in the magic item compendium page 13. Reduces ACP by 2 and increases max dex by 1 but that's all I can do. I don't know of any other way to reduce it.

lsfreak
2010-07-11, 01:41 PM
The Nimbleness enhancement reduces ACP by 2 and raises max Dex by 1. A +1 nimble mithril fullplate will have ACP of -1 and a max Dex of 4. That's about as good as you're ever going to get if you insist on wearing heavy armor.

PapaNachos
2010-07-11, 01:41 PM
Matamane, I suggest Crystal Keep. (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) Its a really useful resource, check it out.

senrath
2010-07-11, 01:44 PM
Note that it's not always accurate. There are a lot of typos in their documents.

PapaNachos
2010-07-11, 01:46 PM
True, but its a good place it start.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:46 PM
There's a feat that might work if you can convince your DM. It's called Heavy armor optimization and it can be found in races of stone. However, By RAW it wouldn't affect a halfweight Mithral fullplate.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 01:48 PM
I'm wary of Crystalkeep, I prefer Realmshelp. I also prefer the book.

However, scattershot approach is a waste of time and resources, and it is also good to get the wealth of knowledge the gitp community has.

+1 Halfweight Mithril Fullplate of Nimbleness with Armored Savant final stats.

+9 AC Bonus
No Armor Check Penalty
+5 Maximum Dexterity Bonus

Treated as Light Armor

It gets funnier when we count in +X Defending Armor Spikes.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:51 PM
I prefer Realmshelp.

Does anybody know if this site is actually legal? I know it lists things that aren't in the OGL but I don't know if that means it violates any laws.

Reynard
2010-07-11, 01:54 PM
Unless those things it lists were all written in the 1930s or before, then yes, it's breaking the law.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:55 PM
Unless those things it lists were all written in the 1930s or before, then yes, it's breaking the law.

Huh. I'd expect WOTC to have actually done something about it by now then.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 01:56 PM
WOTC has granted Amnesty I believe

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 01:57 PM
WOTC has granted Amnesty I believe

Do you recall where they say this?

lsfreak
2010-07-11, 01:59 PM
Does anybody know if this site is actually legal? I know it lists things that aren't in the OGL but I don't know if that means it violates any laws.

I do not know whether it's legal or not - I believe I remember a discussion about how the rules themselves are subject to Fair Use, and only fluff text can be legally enforced. GitP, of course, has much stricter rules about posting such things.

Matamane
2010-07-11, 02:01 PM
{scrubbed}

Devils_Advocate
2010-07-11, 07:55 PM
"I was reading a half-decent article comparing the merits of building protective enchantments into clothing versus making armor more comfortable and less obtrusive ... The article ended by concluding that armor that was sufficiently lightened and otherwise enchanted had such advantages over clothing that in the future, we’d all be going around in full plate. I couldn’t really see it."
- Tales of MU

:smalltongue:

elonin
2010-07-11, 08:21 PM
Not sure if its the same thing, but classes like ranger, scout and dervish all have abilities that only work with light armor. Not sure if the enchantment that was discussed helps though.

Also, unless I'm mistaken reducing the armor category doesn't change the proficiency used. IE the mithrial chain shirt still requires medium proficiency even if the size is counted as light.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-11, 08:25 PM
Also, unless I'm mistaken reducing the armor category doesn't change the proficiency used. IE the mithrial chain shirt still requires medium proficiency even if the size is counted as light.

Chain shirts are actually light. You're probably thinking of chain mail

elonin
2010-07-11, 09:20 PM
Oops. Thanks for the catch

Darrin
2010-07-11, 10:04 PM
{Scrubbed}

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-11, 10:44 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread has been thoroughly derailed into issues of copyright law and forum rules. Suffice it to say that the Forum Rules are much stricter than copyright law and that given legal advice on this forum isn't really allowed.