PDA

View Full Version : Meteor?

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-11, 05:23 PM
I was walking home 10 mins ago and saw a glowing orange ball in the sky. It was cloudy enought that there were no stars showing, and this was about 4 times bigger than your average star (by my viewpoint anyway).

It definitely moved, went right over my head under it's own power. It looked like an orange flame, it flickered like a flame rather than an artificial light.

It could just be a very quick, late night hot air balloon, it could be a sign of a coming apocalypse. Anyone have any knowledge/ thoughts they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance,
K-B

Lykan
2010-07-11, 05:28 PM
It was a mi-go ship. They're probably looking for you.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-07-11, 05:32 PM
Maybe you should give your location so people can check if the astronomy sites say anything about your area.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-11, 05:33 PM
Sorry if I startled you, I was just passin' by.

Rawhide
2010-07-11, 05:36 PM
Considering that I currently have 666 private messages, it's definitely a sign of the apocalypse.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-11, 05:53 PM
Maybe you should give your location so people can check if the astronomy sites say anything about your area.
York (right next to the hospital), England (so the old one, not the silly new one in America :smalltongue:

Sorry if I startled you, I was just passin' by.
It's cool, care to expand on what you were flying?

Considering that I currently have 666 private messages, it's definitely a sign of the apocalypse.
:smalleek: WE'RE DOOMED!! Everyone loot the homebrew forum and leg it!!

(Yay multiquote. My iphone thanks the admins)

Emperor Ing
2010-07-11, 06:04 PM
It's cool, care to expand on what you were flying?

A giant rock from space, it's return address tells me it came from somewhere in the asteroid belt.

Tirian
2010-07-11, 06:05 PM
Either you're getting around the Internet or someone else saw it.

http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/2010/07/york-10th-july-2010/

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-11, 06:10 PM
Either you're getting around the Internet or someone else saw it.

http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/2010/07/york-10th-july-2010/

That wasn't me, but it was what I saw. Woo, at least it's not a brain tumour or something.

Tirian
2010-07-11, 06:32 PM
From Googling "york ufo sightings", it seems like you are plagued by the orange ball of flame.

The simple explanation is that it's a Chinese lantern that's moving as fast as the wind does up there. Of course, if you wanted to deny the existence of Chinese lanterns, then you wouldn't be the first to do so, and I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. :smalltongue:

comicshorse
2010-07-11, 06:35 PM
Yeah I was in York this saturday with friends and we saw it.

We thought it was a chinese lantern and didn't think anymore of it

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-11, 06:37 PM
Definitely not a meteor, even a fireball will be gone in seconds.

Closak
2010-07-11, 06:44 PM
Wait...Meteor? :eek:

GET THE NUKES, EMPTY THE SILOS, WE CAN'T LET THAT THING TOUCH THE GROUND! :smalleek: IF IT DOES WE ARE ALL DEAD YOU HEAR!!!

...Oh wait, wrong Meteor, very well then, don't mind me, just carry on citizen and go back to your fun

Haruki-kun
2010-07-11, 06:58 PM

Did anyone send you a Message just now to ruin it? :smalltongue:

Lord Loss
2010-07-11, 07:11 PM

For playgrounders the maximum number of PMs is 100... mods may be an exception, however.

Marillion
2010-07-11, 07:15 PM
Might have been ball lightning.

Rawhide
2010-07-11, 08:12 PM

No, it has not, as of yet, been ruined.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-12, 01:35 AM
From Googling "york ufo sightings", it seems like you are plagued by the orange ball of flame.

The simple explanation is that it's a Chinese lantern that's moving as fast as the wind does up there. Of course, if you wanted to deny the existence of Chinese lanterns, then you wouldn't be the first to do so, and I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. :smalltongue:

That was my first thought, guess I just got carried away :smallredface:

Thank's y'all.

golentan
2010-07-12, 01:57 AM
First Guess: Artificial Object. Plane with a searchlight sent out to look for something, or a lantern making a break for it, or the like.

Second Guess: Ball Lightning. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning)

Third Guess: You will be significantly happier not knowing. You say you're in York, in the UK, yes? If you see further activity significantly beyond the normal (particularly flashing lights, or motile darkness), I recommend building a large electromagnet on a rotary platform and remaining within it's sphere of influence until one of my companions can reach and clear the area.

99.99% Ball Lightning or artificial origin.

chiasaur11
2010-07-12, 01:59 AM
Could be a police call box, of course.

Lot of sightings of those since, what, the sixties?

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-12, 02:05 AM
First Guess: Artificial Object. Plane with a searchlight sent out to look for something, or a lantern making a break for it, or the like.

Second Guess: Ball Lightning. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning)

Third Guess: You will be significantly happier not knowing. You say you're in York, in the UK, yes? If you see further activity significantly beyond the normal (particularly flashing lights, or motile darkness), I recommend building a large electromagnet on a rotary platform and remaining within it's sphere of influence until one of my companions can reach and clear the area.

99.99% Ball Lightning or artificial origin.

Is that serious or not? :smallconfused:
Coz I'm scared now :smalltongue:
And if it is true; what the heck do you do for a living?

golentan
2010-07-12, 02:22 AM
Is that serious or not? :smallconfused:
Coz I'm scared now.

Relax. It's such low odds as makes almost no difference from zero. And I am, infamously, insane. Delusional, Paranoid, what not, even by the standards of my circles. Unless you see mobile darkness or light hanging around the area, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Plus there's a young lady in Manchester who would have been alerted and could have things sorted out within a few hours if the worst came to pass.

She's very good, and she's very on the ball. I passed word to her a couple minutes ago, and she's checking the local records now.

Edit: For a Living? I mostly clean toilets, lately, and more generally have been a clerk. This sort of work is pro-bono.

Mercenary Pen
2010-07-12, 04:36 AM
Could be a police call box, of course.

Lot of sightings of those since, what, the sixties?

Yeah, plenty of sightings since Autumn of '63- unfortunately, there have been plenty of other, more outlandish things sighted alongside the police call box(es)...

Form
2010-07-12, 08:13 AM
Ah, yes. My apologies for that, but sometimes certain.... things just get loose. I'll retrieve it shortly.

Just don't touch it if you happen to find it. Or feed it. By the gods don't feed it.

Flame of Anor
2010-07-12, 09:52 AM
Ah, yes. My apologies for that, but sometimes certain.... things just get loose. I'll retrieve it shortly.

Just don't touch it if you happen to find it. Or feed it. By the gods don't feed it.

Um...does giving it a barrel of radioactive waste to nibble on count as feeding it? :smalleek:

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-12, 12:00 PM
Relax. It's such low odds as makes almost no difference from zero. And I am, infamously, insane. Delusional, Paranoid, what not, even by the standards of my circles. Unless you see mobile darkness or light hanging around the area, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Plus there's a young lady in Manchester who would have been alerted and could have things sorted out within a few hours if the worst came to pass.

She's very good, and she's very on the ball. I passed word to her a couple minutes ago, and she's checking the local records now.

Edit: For a Living? I mostly clean toilets, lately, and more generally have been a clerk. This sort of work is pro-bono.

So you're some kind of Community Support Volunteer for the Men in Black? Duude :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-07-12, 12:22 PM
Actually, he's an eldritch horror from beyond the stars, living in a deep sea trench. His Avatar is based on his actual avatar.

Form
2010-07-12, 12:42 PM
Um...does giving it a barrel of radioactive waste to nibble on count as feeding it? :smalleek:

We're all going to die now. :smallfrown:

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-12, 01:14 PM
Not a meteor. It was obviously an orange ghost ball (http://the-v-factor-paranormal.blogspot.com/2010/07/orange-balls-of-light-over-delavan.html), like we had here in Wisconsin. And like the one we had in the 1930's.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-07-13, 03:52 AM
It definitely moved, went right over my head under it's own power. It looked like an orange flame, it flickered like a flame rather than an artificial light.

Hmm, I say one of these on the 6th of March (I think) down here in Sussex. Like anorange flaming ball in the sky, moving quite quickly out to sea in an almost mechanical fasion.
Seriously

It's clearly aliens. They waved when they saw me :D
Jokes

BritishBill
2010-07-13, 08:44 PM

i guess we are all dead :(

Cealocanth
2010-07-13, 10:07 PM
From your explaination I see several possibilities;

A small meteor falling over your head.

A very clumsy alien sent down his probe that was seen for miles.

Something in the air in York is driving you people insane.

Someone is still shooting off July 4th fireworks and one went awry and zipped above your head.

Someone's orange spotlight flickered.

It's 2012 come early.

I can't put my finger on any of them.