PDA

View Full Version : Epic Bonus Feats Question

Tedesche
2010-07-11, 09:40 PM
If you're an epic character (character level 20th+), but you start taking levels in a new prestige class, do you cease gaining the bonus feats from your base class's epic levels? Do you then have to wait until you max out that prestige class to get its bonus feats at the appropriate levels?

I'm confused, because the epic bonus feats were designed to address the fact certain class abilities continue to progress beyond 20th level, while others do not (e.g. spellcasting). However, when you begin a new prestige class as an epic spellcaster, your spellcasting doesn't improve in terms of number of spells known or spell slots available—they only improve through feats. So: do you gain epic bonus feats based on that prestige class's epic bonus feat progression or do you have to wait until your 11th class level in that PrC for that to start happening? Seems like a big incentive to not take any new PrCs after 20th level.... Anyone know how this works exactly?

DarthCyberWolf
2010-07-11, 10:00 PM
Yes, the levels in the prestige class must be 11+ before you gain the bonus feats.

It's a bit confusing, but it's the same as if you were a normal level wizard who started taking levels in a prestige class. In this case, you wouldn't gain the wizard bonus feats at 5, 10, 15, 20 etc. (23, 26, 29 :smallbiggrin:)

I'm confused, because the epic bonus feats were designed to address the fact certain class abilities continue to progress beyond 20th level, while others do not (e.g. spellcasting).

You are however, gaining the prestige class' class abilties instead of the bonus feats.

Tedesche
2010-07-11, 10:38 PM
Grr. That's annoying. Particularly because I'm not working with a wizard in this example—I'm working with a sorcerer, and they're already nerfed to **** by the epic level rules. Not only is spellcraft an Int-based skill, but they have to expend an additional feat (Spell Knowledge) just to learn any epic spells they wish to create. (sigh) WotC shouldn't have created the damn class if they were going to tailor the game completely against it.

lsfreak
2010-07-11, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure epic spells supersede a sorcerer's limited spells known. If you develop it, you know it.

Once an epic spell is developed, the caster knows the spell. A developed epic spell becomes an indelible part of the caster and may be prepared without a spellbook (if a wizard is the caster). Characters who cast spells spontaneously, such as sorcerers, can cast a developed epic spell by using any open epic spell slot. Druids, clerics, and similar spellcasters can likewise prepare epic spells using epic spell slots.

Tedesche
2010-07-11, 11:23 PM
Huh. Didn't think of reading it that way. Makes sense though. Alright, that makes me feel better. Still plenty to grumble about though. :smalltongue: