PDA

View Full Version : Predators (Movie)

toasty
2010-07-11, 09:46 PM
Anyone else watch this yet? I watched it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing, but certaintly better than AvP and AvP2. Predator and Aliens still, in my mind, are the best Alien/Predator movies, but I thought this one did a fairly good job. I wasn't really impressed with Laurence Fishburne's character, but I enjoyed everyone else. The ending was pretty fun as well.

king.com
2010-07-11, 10:00 PM
Saying it was better than AvP isnt saying much but it was enjoyable, maybe a bit longer than it needed to be but it had that fun B-movie vibe so it was enjoyable.

toasty
2010-07-11, 10:04 PM
Saying it was better than AvP isnt saying much but it was enjoyable, maybe a bit longer than it needed to be but it had that fun B-movie vibe so it was enjoyable.

Well I like AvP quite a bit. It had its problems and the plot... didn't really make sense, but neither did Predators really (nor do I remember Predator 2 having a very good plot. Or ANY of the movies for that matter. XD) but AvP 2 was just plain bad. This was a good B movie, as you said. Fun action, some funny lines, some cool explosions, and the hero(es) win in the end. Kinda.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-11, 10:18 PM
Just saw it a few hours ago... eh, it's a good summer movie. Very fun. Too much talking, though.:smallwink:

Somebloke
2010-07-13, 07:11 AM
Saw it with the girlfriend, who loves the movies. We both really loved it- it all felt like a solid return to the 80s movies that defined the series.

I would recommend it for anyone interested in good old fashioned horror flick geekery.

Syka
2010-07-13, 10:19 AM
Oz and I are going tomorrow morning. I've actually only seen part of Aliens, and none of the other Alien or Predator movies (well, about 5 minutes of AvP too last night while my mom was channel surfing). So this is my inaugural Predator film, and the previews made it look pretty cool. And I love B horror so...judging from you guy's responses, I should love it. :smallwink:

(Funny anecdote: My mom watched Alien when she was pregnant with me. I decided to kick for the first time that night. :smallamused:)

toasty
2010-07-13, 10:23 AM
Oh, you really should watch Aliens. Aliens, in my mind, is still the highlight of the Alien and Predator movies. But Predator 2 really did the series justice, nothing fancy, but it was a well done B-Action (I really wouldn't call it horror, maybe suspense, but not really Horror) movie.

Killer Angel
2010-07-13, 03:53 PM
Anyone else watch this yet? I watched it yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

I'm certainly going to watch it. I'm a fan of the series... yeah, i even like AvP (not AvP2... there IS a limit) so, 'til is a funny horror B-movie, I'm fine with it.

Mr. Scaly
2010-07-13, 04:47 PM
I am going to go see it this weekend. I am really looking forward to this one :smallbiggrin:

And I've seen Alien, Predator, Predator 2, AvP, and AvP:R so I'm a pretty big fan of the series, and the Predators in particular. Not looking for anything more than action violence and hunting by our camo wearing alien buddies.

BritishBill
2010-07-13, 09:44 PM
I saw it, it was alright I felt like they took a lot of the predators honorable fighting away

chiasaur11
2010-07-13, 09:47 PM
I saw it, it was alright I felt like they took a lot of the predators honorable fighting away

Different bunch of Preds.

Jokes
2010-07-14, 01:19 AM
This 'spoiled' the movie for me-

And by spoiled I mean, 'made funny as hell'. As soon as I saw the Russian with a minigun, I immediately began thinking of them as all the characters from Team Fortress 2. The funniest one was the crim with the knife, backstabbing a pred after using his dead ringer.

But otherwise, I didn't feel it was a great movie. Action sequences weren't great (ugh, that sword fight :smallsigh:) and there wasn't even enough suspense to make up for it. It was also boring having to wait an hour for the characters to clue in on everything the audience already knows.

Killer Angel
2010-07-14, 06:07 AM
Action sequences weren't great (ugh, that sword fight :smallsigh:)

Obligatory link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M_QC2fatXQ). :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-07-14, 06:30 AM
As soon as I saw the Russian with a minigun, I immediately began thinking of them as all the characters from Team Fortress 2.I had this thought about him too! :biggrin: Although I didn't follow it through for the rest.
I liked it fine. Not much else to say about it, really. I have a box set that contains all the Aliens, both (well, the first two, now) Predators, and the first Alien vs. Predator. I love all the Aliens (yes, even the 4th one. It's the weakest, sure, but I still like it), and both (all, now) Predators. AvP is meh, and the counter-stereotyping bugs me quite a lot. AvP2 was so bad, I can barely remember it. Such a shame, it should be oh-so-very awesome :smallsigh:

Brewdude
2010-07-14, 09:13 AM
Silly kids, Heavy from TF2 is BASED on Jesse Ventura's Gatling toting character in the original Predator.

Seriously, the entire franchise is still resting on Alien, Aliens, and Predator, with Predator 2 putting in a damn fine show, but just not quite on the level of the other 3. Alien 3 worked as a stand alone movie, but because it emotionally betrayed Aliens, it still registers as a fail for most viewers.

Everything else in the series, of course, is crap.

Parra
2010-07-14, 09:51 AM
I quite liked the film and could get past most of its flaws (and there were a few), except one that still kinda bugs me:

How did the serial killer know that an alien plant contained such a "powerful neurotoxin"?
Nothing naturally occurring that I have ever heard of can put a grown adult, down that fast, only for them to recover so quickly again.

For that matter IF it was an Earth Native plant, what was it doing on the Predators game reserve?
Extreme Botany for the discerning Predator?

Beyond that I really liked the film, especially the take on how to kill the end Predator

The J Pizzel
2010-07-14, 09:53 AM
Saw it last night. Thought it was a fun summer action flick. I'm glad it didn't take itself too seriously. And Adrian Brody was actually the weakest character IMO. Laurence Fishbourne was kinda fun
although I'm glad he didn't last long The sword fight was crappy, but was a nice throwback to the guy who stood on the log bridge and made a "last stand" in the original predator. All in all, it didn't dissapoint. I watched exactly what I was expecting.

What actually saddens me is that, I enjoyed this mindless summer action blockbuster more than The Last Airbender, Clash of the Titans, and Prince of Persia combined. All those movies should have been epic awsomeness, but instead they were all craptastic pieces of garbage that has been showed up by a movie produced by Troublemaker Films and Robert Rodriguez. Bad Hollywood!!!

Serpentine
2010-07-14, 10:43 AM
I quite liked the film and could get past most of its flaws (and there were a few), except one that still kinda bugs me:

How did the serial killer know that an alien plant contained such a "powerful neurotoxin"?
Nothing naturally occurring that I have ever heard of can put a grown adult, down that fast, only for them to recover so quickly again.

For that matter IF it was an Earth Native plant, what was it doing on the Predators game reserve?
Extreme Botany for the discerning Predator?Yeah, that one bugged me, too. It apparently had a scientific name and everything :smallconfused:

toasty
2010-07-14, 12:55 PM
Yeah, that one bugged me, too. It apparently had a scientific name and everything :smallconfused:

Indeed. Really, that was the only thing that did not make sense at all, was that plant. But then again, I accepted it for the sake of the movie. I'm like that.

Dr. Bath
2010-07-14, 03:02 PM
This 'spoiled' the movie for me-

And by spoiled I mean, 'made funny as hell'. As soon as I saw the Russian with a minigun, I immediately began thinking of them as all the characters from Team Fortress 2. The funniest one was the crim with the knife, backstabbing a pred after using his dead ringer.

Heavy LOVES this doctor!
Added to this, I also had Adrian Brody's character replaced with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM). Cue unintentional hilarity.

I really liked it. As a schlocky, silly action movie. It was fun and suitably ridiculous, without being too flagrantly stupid.

comicshorse
2010-07-14, 07:19 PM
I enjoyed this mindless summer action blockbuster more than The Last Airbender, Clash of the Titans, and Prince of Persia combined.

And more than Shutter Island, Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood.

Not been a good year for films

Serpentine
2010-07-14, 11:08 PM
Really? I thought Shutter Island was great. I can see this ranking above the others (though I'm not sure I agree), but not that one.

comicshorse
2010-07-15, 08:01 AM
Each to there own. I found Shutter Island ruined for me by the fact that I spotted the twist about ten minutes in and I just can't take DeCaprio seriously as somebody who is dangerous

Lord Loss
2010-07-15, 08:44 AM
I'm glad to hear such positive reviews... I'm really exited for this movie, I may will see it soon

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-15, 08:53 AM
Each to there own. I found Shutter Island ruined for me by the fact that I spotted the twist about ten minutes in and I just can't take DeCaprio seriously as somebody who is dangerous

Just for asking, what gave it away? Was it a specific clue in the movie, or are you THAT genre-savy and TvTropes Ruined Your Life? :smallwink:

Lord Loss
2010-07-15, 09:04 AM
I did not see the twist coming... Darn good movie if you asked me...

I too am curious to just how you pinpointed the twist...

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-15, 09:20 AM
I did not see the twist coming... Darn good movie if you asked me...

I too am curious to just how you pinpointed the twist...

Personnaly, I got only caught it very much near the end. Like, when the doc was there at the end.

And then, I remembered all the frakking little details that trailed us, and why it was so darn clever.

Also, it explained why he was so aggressive to the guy that criticized the woman who killed her kids. But I never understood the point of presenting him to the woman who had "disapeared".

comicshorse
2010-07-15, 09:34 AM
Posted by Solka Truesilver

Just for asking, what gave it away? Was it a specific clue in the movie, or are you THAT genre-savy and TvTropes Ruined Your Life?

I'd like to say to was my brilliant, analytical mind but I think you're answer is closer to the truth :smallmad:

That and the fact the reviews had gone on about the twist so I was looking for it

I think it clicked when he got the headache in the lightning storm

Syka
2010-07-15, 11:07 AM
I saw the movie before I saw reviews, so I think that helped in my avoiding figuring it out.

I've both read the book and saw the movie, and (for probably the first time in my life) I can say the movie was better. The plot was essentially the same, but there is just something about it that comes across much better in the movie.

Shutter Island is one of the best films I've seen this year (that I can remember, anyway). The direction was quite fantastic, good DP, great acting, the script was good, etc. This may or may not be shunted out by Inception and/or the new Harry Potter movie (I'm so so so holding out hope that the fact they split it up means it won't get butchered...).

Anyway, Predators. My first Predator movie. I quite enjoyed it. LOVED seeing Topher Grace in that role, even though I kinda saw it coming. However, I couldn't resist making a Splice-related joke at Adrian Brody's expense. I just couldn't. I had Oz silently laughing for a good minute. :smallamused: But I enjoyed it for what it was- a summer action movie meant to entertain. Not spectacular, but very entertaining.

Mr. Scaly
2010-07-15, 02:45 PM
Awww, I loved Ironman 3...it's on my top three movies of 2010 list so far...

But anywho I can but hope that they have a protagonist as strong as Danny Glover or the Governator to kick butt. The date is set...this Saturday!

Da'Shain
2010-07-15, 07:41 PM
I enjoyed the slow buildup of the first, say, two thirds of the movie ... but the final act just came with too much stupidity for me to ignore. I still enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I wanted to.
For starters, the sword fight. How could you possibly think that transplanting a scene from a samurai flick into the middle of "The Most Dangerous Game" is a good idea? There's a reason that they didn't show Billy's fight in the first movie -- namely, that simply pulling out a knife in that situation was crazy and will get you killed very quick. The predator in the new movie gets extra stupid points for deigning to sword fight, especially when it obviously isn't very good at it.

Laurence Fishburne was entertaining, but then his plan for murdering the group was ridiculous (seriously, choke them on smoke when they can just blow a bigger hole out of the hole you're pouring smoke through? And why didn't Brody shoot him?!), and his subsequent mad dash down a hallway while screaming makes me think that he was just making up having survived so long; no one that stupid survives that long.

Topher Grace's character was mishandled pretty badly; his serial killer reveal was pointless and had no real effect on the plot, where they could have had him actually BE a "predator" himself, having survived from season to season by attaching himself to the newcomers and acting helpless while he murdered them on his own, one by one, at the same time they were being hunted. Alternately, have him actually be there to provide medical support and keep the hunt going longer, hence explaining him being the odd man out without the need for more pointless "we're not so different" drama. As it is, though, why the Predators thought he would be a worthy addition to the hunt is baffling, even moreso than the prisoner who only had a shiv (who actually slightly redeemed himself, if only because of more Predator stupidity).

And Alice Braga's character was annoying, in that of course as the only woman she HAD to be the most "pure" one with the clearest conscience who redeems our jaded antihero, and also HAD to be rescued several times since clearly she's just not as tough or smart as the men. Also, why would an IDF sniper have knowledge of an alien encountered by a US military force on what was almost certainly a top-secret, illegal mission?

As for the Predators' stupidity ... where do I begin. They never check the giant crashed spacecraft for Laurence Fishburne? They pluck a serial killer and a death row inmate along with highly armed badasses and expect them to put up a fight? They use nothing but shoulder cannons and wristblades when they have spears, smartdiscs, nets, all of the wonderful gadgets from the previous movies to play with? The only new things we saw in this movie were hunting dogs (cool) and some random metal bird-camera (not so cool), which of course they stand around in cloak and then decloak dramatically when they catch it to mug for the camera. They blow up a ship by remote control when it's obvious they could've ... oh, I don't know, cancelled its flight path the same way it was ordered? And then, when the smaller Predator is cut loose, both he and the Super Predator run at each other like lummoxes instead of just shooting one another? Seriously, I know they're supposed to do stuff for "sport" but that was beyond the scope of the hunt, that was simply stupidity.
I'll stop ranting and say that despite all these things, it was still a fun movie. Adrien Brody was surprisingly effective as the badass lead, and the new big Predator design was actually surprisingly good, even if I do prefer Predator Classic (TM). The concept was good, and the hunting dogs were interesting and a welcome addition to their repertoire, further cementing their similarities to our own hunting traditions. I'm happy with this sequel, and fully admit that my expectations were probably too high going in.

Since this is a game preserve, some of the Predators' mistakes might make sense if we assume they were the equivalent of weekend getaway hunters, rather than the much more skilled big game hunters we saw in the first two movies (and the "cleaner" we saw in AvP:R). So I supposed I'll go with that.

Syka
2010-07-15, 08:04 PM
Da'Shain, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had an issue with the female lead.

I am a really nice bleeding heart person. I have no military training or inclination whatsoever. Even I was sitting there going "Wtf? :smallconfused:" about how warm and fuzzy she was. "We can't leave him!" Umm...trap? Durr. Going to risk your neck for someone you don't know? That's...smart.

Also...anyone else catch the Piranha's trailer? Oh. My. God. A Syfy movie made it on to the big screen it seems. :smalleek:

Serpentine
2010-07-15, 10:58 PM
PIRAHNAS! :biggrin:

There is one thing that bugged me a lot, but it comes up in many other movies, as well: Absolutely no wildlife. Oh, we could hear what sounded like birds or something similar, but there was no actual sign of so much as a bug. It's a jungle. Things live in jungles. It's just... lazy, and seriously spoils suspension of disbelief for me.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-15, 11:08 PM
I rather enjoyed it. I also loved Lawrence Fishburne showing up, and how pretty much everything he did was a reference to Apocalypse Now.

Axolotl
2010-07-16, 11:00 AM
I jsut came back from seeing this film and I loved it. Sure it has a lot of flaws but it does sometings very well like the opening or most of the characters. (the main 2 being the exception).

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who sat through the whole thing making Team Fortress jokes. Also it's given me plenty of quotes I can use as in jokes with my friends which is a importatn part of a good movie in my mind.

Terry576
2010-07-16, 11:42 AM
I saw a leaked copy of it last night.

I thought it was horribly bad and cheesy.

Although I was amused how I totally called that the black guy would die first.

I wasn't even being racist. It's a known snuff/horror/slasher film fact:

So You Want To Know Who Will Die:

The Black Guy.
The Hot Chick.
The Oblivious Annoying Dude.
Various Others.

Who Gets Away Then, You Cynical Bastard?

The Vet/Army Guy.
The Scientist Tina Fey-esque Chick
Or Vice Versa.
Possibly Members of The Twos Family Escape?

You guys are complaining about Piranhas?

Go see Malibu Shark Attack. Then come back to me.

Axolotl
2010-07-16, 11:48 AM
Although I was amused how I totally called that the black guy would die first.

I wasn't even being racist. It's a known snuff/horror/slasher film fact::smallconfused: But the black guy didn't die first.

Syka
2010-07-16, 11:59 AM
:smallconfused: But the black guy didn't die first.

It was a Mexican.

I'm only complaining about Piranhas because it is getting a theatrical release. I love SyFy movies to death...but the fact that what, essentially, should be a SyFy straight to TV movie will be in theaters is...well, a little depressing.

Also, is it normal for IDF to have non-Israeli's? If not, they did a pretty horrible job casting Braga as that chick. Without the accent she may have been able to pass, but I thought through out the entire movie (since I didn't know what IDF was) that she was from some Central/South American country. I wasn't wrong, either, since Braga is Brazilian.

They could have at least had some explanation, like "Yeah, I was born in X but we moved to Israel when I was young" or something.

Axolotl
2010-07-16, 12:10 PM
I'm only complaining about Piranhas because it is getting a theatrical release. I love SyFy movies to death...but the fact that what, essentially, should be a SyFy straight to TV movie will be in theaters is...well, a little depressing.Didn't the first 2 Piranha films get theatrical release?

Mr. Scaly
2010-07-17, 10:15 PM
Just saw it. And as a massive fan of the Predator franchise and someone who wasn't really sure what to expect coming into this movie...damn! :biggrin:

Though now I have to go reorganising my favourite movies of the year...but heck, they actually did justice to the first two films! I loved the opening. The use of hunting...things by the Preds was great. I was intrigued by this caste thing they have, with the different types of Predators that are at each other's throats. In their own way each of the characters was memorable and enjoyable to me. I didn't even see the twist at the end coming though my brain started jabbing me after a while. I guess I just got everything i wanted out of this movie. Predators hunting humans and being hunted in turn.

And Pirahnas!!!

Syka
2010-07-17, 10:34 PM
Didn't the first 2 Piranha films get theatrical release?

...Apparently.:smalleek: Piranha's 3D is, from what I now know, a remake of the 1978 film by the same name (minus the 3D). I think the second one was released some time in the 80's.

This probably explain why I didn't know of them, though, lol. I was born in 1987 and it doesn't seem like these were particularly...popular.

However, the research you spawned made me actually want see the original, if not the new one. Supposedly, it's actually a horror comedy and was intended to spoof Jaws. That won it points- I tend to enjoy spoofs.

FoE
2010-07-18, 12:50 AM
So, did Adrien Brody's character ever proclaim that he was a goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijy8fpdI5c)?

Serpentine
2010-07-18, 01:17 AM
Also, is it normal for IDF to have non-Israeli's? If not, they did a pretty horrible job casting Braga as that chick. Without the accent she may have been able to pass, but I thought through out the entire movie (since I didn't know what IDF was) that she was from some Central/South American country. I wasn't wrong, either, since Braga is Brazilian.

They could have at least had some explanation, like "Yeah, I was born in X but we moved to Israel when I was young" or something.Huh. I didn't even know who [acronym] was. I thought she was American, and my housemate thought it was something to do with the UN. But no, I did not pick that nationality.

Also: Spoilers, people! I'm surprised at you, Syka.

Amiel
2010-07-19, 07:49 AM
I'm actually rather looking forward to this; I'm probably an aberration in that I liked both AvP movies. While not exactly well made, they were at least entertaining. I'll just need to rope some friends into seeing this for the evillulz.

Optimystik
2010-07-19, 09:41 AM
I saw it and was very underwhelmed.

- You have to wait almost an hour into the film to even see a predator.
- "Morpheus" is pretty hyped in the trailer but... let's just say he isn't exactly pivotal to the plot. (What little there is...)
- The doctor's xenobotany degree, mentioned earlier.
- The humans' unexplained unlimited ammo/food.
- If any predator can remotely nuke a ship that tries to escape the preserve, then what hope is there of the humans escaping?
- Big-Lipped Swordfight Alligator Moment
- A nice WTF ending.
- No combistick and no razor disc.

Actually, scratch underwhelmed - it was a steaming pile.

The J Pizzel
2010-07-19, 10:25 AM
I saw it and was very underwhelmed.

- You have to wait almost an hour into the film to even see a predator.
- "Morpheus" is pretty hyped in the trailer but... let's just say he isn't exactly pivotal to the plot. (What little there is...)
- The doctor's xenobotany degree, mentioned earlier.
- If any predator can remotely nuke a ship that tries to escape the preserve, then what hope is there of the humans escaping?
- Big-Lipped Swordfight Alligator Moment
- A nice WTF ending.
- No combistick and no razor disc.

Actually, scratch underwhelmed - it was a steaming pile.

All very valid pionts (especially the combistick and disc). I still liked it. It was fun mindless action summer flick. And one of the predators ripped out a guys spine. That, in and of itself, excuses all other possible things wrong with it.

toasty
2010-07-19, 01:09 PM
I'm actually rather looking forward to this; I'm probably an aberration in that I liked both AvP movies. While not exactly well made, they were at least entertaining. I'll just need to rope some friends into seeing this for the evillulz.

I like AvP 1 enough, it was entertain, not amazing, but fun. AvP2 was horrible.

THis movie was better than AvP1, but not up to the level of the classic movies.

Serpentine
2010-07-20, 02:37 AM
They did discuss the need to conserve ammo, and they did have one meal. But yeah, that's a pretty paltry sort of effort...

Syka
2010-07-20, 07:33 AM
I think the movie only showed like 2 days, though. Maybe. I could be wrong since it was an alien planet, though.

Pretty much on the food side I think the filmmakers adhered to the "no bathrooms" school of storytelling. Basically...only stuff relevant to the plot is discussed. After all, you don't want the movie to become 6 hours, 4 of which are little things like using the bathroom, etc.

Serpentine
2010-07-20, 08:27 AM
That's one of the reasons I like Tamora Pierce - she makes the digging and use of latrines plot-relevant :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2010-07-20, 08:31 AM
I love Tamora Pierce! I'm pretty sure we have most of the Tortall books (Lioness, Immortal, and Protector I know we have...not sure about Trickster or Beka Cooper).

But yeah, it's the mark of a good author to be able to do that. Otherwise it comes off as "Dude, I don't want to see/read about someone doing stuff I do everyday" sort of thing.

The Glyphstone
2010-07-20, 08:44 AM
Great, now I can't help but picture a Tortall/Predator crossover. Good thing I don't write fanfic, otherwise the temptation might be irresistable.

Serpentine
2010-07-20, 08:53 AM
Hmmmm...

Something stalks the streets of Tortall. It started out picking off members of the sinister underworld, but now the realm's knights have been gruesomely murdered. Can Tortall's latest spunky Lady Knight find the killer? And what does it have to do with the Realm of the Gods?

Syka
2010-07-20, 09:02 AM
Hmmmm...

Something stalks the streets of Tortall. It started out picking off members of the sinister underworld, but now the realm's knights have been gruesomely murdered. Can Tortall's latest spunky Lady Knight find the killer? And what does it have to do with the Realm of the Gods?

The little girl in me who loves horror is squeeing with delight now. :smallbiggrin:

I may have to reread the series' now. I did use to write Tortall fanfics, back when fanfic.net was still fairly small. Can't remember the name I used to use, which is probably good seeing as, well, I was like 12-13 when I wrote them so...yeah. Quality? Not horrendous, but definitely not good, lol.

Edit: Lordy, I just found it. Apparently they don't delete profiles, haha. I can't believe it's been 9 years; I can't bring myself to read them... Anyone mind if I take the Tortall/Predators idea and run with it? :smallwink:

hamishspence
2010-07-20, 09:12 AM
Sounds like an interesting crossover. I've read some of the Tortall books- was one of the things that lead me to start reading other fantasy.

Serpentine
2010-07-20, 09:15 AM
Go for it! And post it in Arts & Crafts! :biggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-07-20, 09:58 AM
Please, please do. This is an awesome thread derail, and can only end in more awesome.

Syka
2010-07-20, 10:11 AM
Please, please do. This is an awesome thread derail, and can only end in more awesome.

It'll be a bit. Let's say...2-4 weeks? I need to reread at least one of the Tortall series (probably Lioness, since it's my favorite) and see the first Predator movie. But now that you guys have instilled this in me I can't get the idea out of my head, haha. I'm picturing Stormwings against Predators and all that. XD

Serpentine
2010-07-20, 10:24 AM
I based my snippet more on the second Predator, really.

Syka
2010-07-20, 10:27 AM
I based my snippet more on the second Predator, really.

That just leaves re-reading a series again. :) If the Predators aren't that different in this movie than the first one, then I should be good, yes?

Serpentine
2010-07-20, 10:28 AM
Pretty much. But you should still see the first one, cuz it's better.

Ashtar
2010-07-22, 02:50 AM
Saw the movie last night and had a great time. It doesn't live up to the awesomeness of the first, but has some nice stuff. For me, the movie would of been much better without Fishburn's intervention, since they really didn't use it well at all.

Anyway, fun!

chiasaur11
2010-07-22, 02:55 AM

Unlike with Aliens.

(I'm sorry if anyone disagrees. Mainly, I'm sorry they're wrong.)

Da'Shain
2010-07-22, 04:31 AM
Unlike with Aliens.

(I'm sorry if anyone disagrees. Mainly, I'm sorry they're wrong.)Eh, Alien and Aliens are almost totally different kind of movies. They're both awesome for their respective genres; I actually like the first slightly better, myself.

But yeah, Predator 1 remains by far the best of that series (and better than the Alien series, IMO).

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-22, 04:50 AM
Eh, Alien and Aliens are almost totally different kind of movies. They're both awesome for their respective genres; I actually like the first slightly better, myself.

Exactly.
Alien is Horror
Aliens is Action
Aliens 4 is Wedon's take on Aliens. An experiment that is worth mentioning although it is not worth watching.

...Just as well that they never made a third movie between the second and fourth though, since if they had, it would be totally awful on every level imaginable.

Mr. Scaly
2010-07-22, 01:34 PM
Huh. Given that I'm a big Predator fan, would you say that the Alien franchise is worth getting into either? I can see some similarities between the two, and I did see most of Alien, after all.

An Enemy Spy
2010-07-22, 01:36 PM
Huh. Given that I'm a big Predator fan, would you say that the Alien franchise is worth getting into either? I can see some similarities between the two, and I did see most of Alien, after all.

Watch the first two and avoid the third one at all costs. Number four is ok but not great. AvP 1 is ok if you like that sort of thing and AvP 2 is crap.

chiasaur11
2010-07-22, 02:09 PM
Alien is an excellent, excellent movie.

Aliens is the fount from which our most cherished modern space marine cliches spring.

Watch them.

toasty
2010-07-22, 09:36 PM

I disagree. Alien is an okay Horror I guess. I don't like horror, so I dunno. What I do know is that Aliens is exactly the type of horror/action/sci-fi movie that more studios should be making and I'm sad there has never been another movie with space marines shooting up monsters/other humans/aliens similar to Aliens. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-07-23, 12:03 AM
I believe I was actually talking about Predator, there :smalltongue:
Huh. Given that I'm a big Predator fan, would you say that the Alien franchise is worth getting into either? I can see some similarities between the two, and I did see most of Alien, after all.Absolutely yes you should see them. Personally, I liked all of the Alien movies (with overall declining quality, but still likable), but even if I didn't really I think I still wouldn't urge against watching them. Hell, even both the AvPs are worth watching, even if they're awful.

Here's something to get your goats: my friend's girlfriend borrowed my Alien, Predator and Alien vs. Predator box set recently because she hadn't seen any of the Aliens. She much preferred the last two Aliens.
'course, she also loved* the new Alice in Wonderland, and took issue with Inception, so I think she's just got really bad taste.

*I liked it, but I certainly didn't love it.

Mr. Scaly
2010-07-23, 12:48 AM
Ooh, a boxed set :smallbiggrin: I know what I want for Christmas.

Alrighty, I think I'm going to try and ferret out the DVDs somewhere, since TV doesn't play Alien movies at the moment. I like my space marines and alien bugs and I'm pretty fond of sci fi in general and they're just so classic that I've been tempted for a while.

chiasaur11
2010-07-23, 01:09 AM
Ooh, a boxed set :smallbiggrin: I know what I want for Christmas.

Alrighty, I think I'm going to try and ferret out the DVDs somewhere, since TV doesn't play Alien movies at the moment. I like my space marines and alien bugs and I'm pretty fond of sci fi in general and they're just so classic that I've been tempted for a while.

There's a big blue ray box coming soon, but if you want something standard def? Alien Quadrilogy is something else, and available for about 30 bucks new. Well worth the grabbing, I think.

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-23, 01:21 AM
There's a big blue ray box coming soon

What is this "blueray" you mention? :smallwink:
Seriously, appart from PS3 owners, how many have actually bought a blue ray player already?

chiasaur11
2010-07-23, 01:26 AM
Seriously, appart from PS3 owners, how many have actually bought a blue ray player already?

Not me.

Just figured, since it had slightly more features (for a ton more money) it might be worth a mention.

Serpentine
2010-07-23, 01:32 AM
Seriously, appart from PS3 owners, how many have actually bought a blue ray player already?I was gonna say "my boyfriend!" but then I remembered he has a PS3. But he does own a bunch of Bluray movies...

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-23, 01:32 AM
Not me.

Just figured, since it had slightly more features (for a ton more money) it might be worth a mention.

Well I am waiting myself because it seems like a lot of people suspect that Blue Ray will never take off, since it is getting bypassed by pure digital media (streaming, etc).

Syka
2010-07-23, 02:34 PM
Serp, how many times did you see the new Alice?

I was "meh" towards it overall when I saw it the first time. I didn't hate it, I liked it well enough, but it wasn't enough for me to encourage someone to see it. When I saw it a second time (with my friend who came home from Iraq, it was her one request to see it in theaters, lol), I liked it far more. I dropped my preconceived Alice in Wonderland and Tim Burton notions (both of which came with their fair share of expectations) and was able to thoroughly enjoy it.

Not that this excuses loving the two movies in a franchise that are generally not even discussed, but hey. :smallwink:

Mr. Scaly
2010-07-23, 07:57 PM

My stepdad was considering getting a PS3 specifically for Blue Ray...I think he gave up that idea.

The Big Dice
2010-07-24, 02:41 PM
There's a big blue ray box coming soon, but if you want something standard def? Alien Quadrilogy is something else, and available for about 30 bucks new. Well worth the grabbing, I think.

I had the Alien Quadrilogy set. There's a reason it's so cheap: it's got layer transition issues, stopping at random for a few seconds about once every five minutes. It's very annoying and has led to me and a friend both getting it and selling it independenty of each other.

Stefanos Lion
2010-07-29, 09:46 AM
saw the film last night and was curious as to why there was a female in it not been sexist or anything im all for equal rights but wasnt it established in the first predator that they dint hunt females? or am i remembering it wrong?

Serpentine
2010-07-29, 10:06 AM
They don't hunt pregnant females or unarmed people. Most of* the women have been pregnant or unarmed.

*I'm pretty sure I remember at least one or two being killed...

Stefanos Lion
2010-07-29, 10:12 AM
i dint rememebr her in the first one been preganant but if she was then it makes more sense but there were plenty of other plot holes in the film lol i did enjoy it tho :)

Serpentine
2010-07-29, 10:16 AM
No, in the first one she never has a gun. It's a plot point - Arnie realises the "no killing unarmed people" bit when she tries to escape and the guy sent to bring her back gets slaughtered and she's left. As a result, he goes out of his way to stop her from picking up a gun, so she won't become a target.
In the second one, the cop is pregnant and so isn't killed.

Stefanos Lion
2010-07-29, 10:28 AM
ah i thought it was because she was feamle and it dint hunt em but good to no :)

Stefanos Lion
2010-07-29, 10:47 AM
id like to say i dont agree with people who says 1st pred is best i like the second more if im honest one of the few sequels that i thought was best with the aliens ones its hard but id also says i prefer aliens to alien but all are evry good films imo

Omergideon
2010-07-31, 03:56 AM
ah i thought it was because she was feamle and it dint hunt em but good to no :)

Also we gotta remember that from the perspective of the Predators we are all pretty weak physically so I highly doubt that being female was a problem. It probably is like how game hunters just don't often kill nursing females.

Anywho I enjoyed the film quite a bit. The reveals were well paced, the action enjoyable and the violence sufficiently candid without being graphic. Were some major problems but not the sort that stop you enjoying a movie. I mean the Doctor's actions at the end were just plain retarded, as was the Yakuza guy stopping however cool the sword fight was. But I liked it.